Homemade Oreos.

A simple homemade version of your favorite cream-filled chocolate cookie. Plus, make homemade mint Oreos too!

Welcome to Day 6 of Sally’s Cookie Palooza! Be warned: picture overload today. I can’t shake my love for Oreos, you guys.

Sally's Christmas Cookie Palooza

These homemade Oreos are for my fiancé. Oreos are his favorite store-bought cookie. It’s often he digs into my stash of Oreo cookies that are clearly labeled “need for recipe!” Oreos are Kevin’s favorite accompaniment to cold milk and favorite remedy to a chocolate craving. The guy can’t get enough. And oh yeah, I love ’em too.

I made these homemade Oreos as a huge “thank you” to the wonderful early Christmas present he got me. What a fun night that was! The next day, tired and groggy from a late night, we ate homemade Oreos. And it was nothing short of amazing.

Making America’s most popular store-bought cookie is much easier than you ever imagined. They aren’t as crunchy as the authentic, but they aren’t as soft and cakey as whoopie pies either. They’re in between. And I find that they are crunchier on day 2. Perfect-o with some milk and/or ice cream.

Little did I know that I already made Oreo cookies before. Well, sort of. All I did was transform my go-to chocolate cookie recipe, baked them smaller, and sandwiched them together with a sweet cream filling. Which absolutely tastes like the real thing!

Quick: what’s your favorite… the cookie or the cream? Mine’s totally the cream.

Homemade Oreo Cookies! So easy to make at home. Get the recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com-2

Here’s exactly what I did to my chocolate cookie recipe to turn them into Oreos.

Oreos aren’t as soft, moist, and “melt-in-your-mouth” as my chocolate cookies. So first, I took a look at the flour to cocoa ratio. I increased the flour and decreased the cocoa. I did this to not necessarily make them less chocolate-y, I did it to harden them up a bit.

Likewise, I reduced the brown sugar to only 1/4 cup. This is because brown sugar is moist and I wanted to decrease the moisture in the cookie. Finally, I left out the milk in my chocolate cookie recipe. The milk adds a touch of moisture to the dough, but there is no need for it when making Oreo cookie dough.

That all sounds pretty easy, right? It gets easier! In my original chocolate cookie recipe – the dough requires at least 2 hours of chilling. However, since there is more flour in this Oreo cookie dough (and thus producing a thicker, sturdier dough) – there is only a need to chill it for about 30 minutes.

When you roll the slightly chilled cookie dough, make them small. Only about 2 scant teaspoons of dough per cookie. Roll the dough into little balls and place on your baking sheet. Then, very slightly press down on them. Like so:

How to Make Homemade Oreo Cookies. Step-by-step photos at sallysbakingaddiction.com

Then, bake the cookies for a short 6-8 minutes in the oven. They’re quite small, so they don’t need much time in the oven.

The cookies will slightly spread and flatten out:

I accidentally left 1 batch in for 9 minutes (hey, I got sidetracked because Jude saw the “dreaded” UPS man drive up) and the cookies sort of crack on top. Oh well, still tasty!

The chocolate cookies must cool completely before you add the cream filling. I thought about the cream filling I made for my Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies. It’s creamy, for sure – but not quite as thick as an Oreo cream filling.

I made a few test creams when writing my cookbook over the summer and found that shortening provides the perfect “sturdiness”  and thickness that we all love in the Oreo filling. To make today’s filling, you’ll use a combination of butter, shortening, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract.

I completely surprised myself. This sweet stuff tastes like the real thing!

Homemade Oreo Cookie Filling. Get the homemade Oreo recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

Sandwich some of the cream filling between two cookies. However much or little you want. I am a huge sucker for Double Stuf Oreos, so some homemade Oreos had a bit more filling than others. Mmm mmm good!

Homemade Oreos! Much easier than you think and twice as delicious. Easy recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

Oh, but that’s not all. Add a touch of green food coloring and peppermint extract to make…

Mint Oreos!

Homemade Mint Oreo Cookies! So easy to make at home. Get the recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

There are so many varieties of Oreos on shelves these days and I think mint is my favorite. Even more than peanut butter Oreos. Yes, I know. I’m surprised too.

And I completely adore homemade mint Oreos!

Consider yourself warned.

You’re going to make these homemade Oreos once and then about 100 more times. They’re quite quick, quite easy, and possibly better than the real thing. Forget that – they ARE better than the real thing. At least that’s what Kevin told me and I sorta agree.

You may just never want the store-bought kind again. 😉

Homemade Oreos

Yield: 19-20 sandwich cookies

Prep Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling

• 1 and 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1/2 cup (43g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream Filling

• 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/4 cup (48g) vegetable shortening, room temperature
  • 1 and 3/4 cups (210g) confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Make the cookies: Toss the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.

Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed. Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a dough is formed. Cover the dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. Chilling is mandatory.

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.

Roll the dough into small balls, 2 teaspoons of slightly chilled dough per ball, and place 12 on each baking sheet. Press down on the balls to slightly flatten as pictured above. Bake each batch for 6-8 minutes. These cookies are small and bake very quickly. They will appear soft when done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. You'll make 3-4 batches (38-40 cookies total).

While the cookies are cooling, make the cream filling: In a small bowl using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and shortening together on high speed until creamy and combined, about 1 minute. Turn the mixer off and add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Beat on low for 1 minute and then switch to high and beat for 1 more minute until creamy and combined. The cream filling is thick. See photo above for how mine looked.

Spread cream filling between two cooled chocolate cookies. Repeat with the rest. Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. Cookies freeze well, up to 2 months. Cream filling may be made ahead of time (up to 2 days in advance). Cover and chill when storing. Allow to come to room temperature before using.

For the mint cream filling - beat 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and 2 drops of liquid or gel food coloring (or add more until you reach desired color) when you add the vanilla extract.

Here are a few more sandwich cookies you’d love!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwiches

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwiches for cookie dough lovers! Easy recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

Homemade Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies

Homemade Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Chocolate Fudge Cookies with Candy Cane Buttercream

Chocolate Fudge Cookies with Candy Cane Buttercream

See more chocolate recipes.

See more cookie recipes.

The BEST Homemade Oreos Recipe - dare I say... better than the original!

208 Responses to “Homemade Oreos.”

Deborahposted October 1, 2014 at 12:34 pm

You should leave out the baking soda, and do it with a rolling pin, rather than the balls, and use all white sugar instead of the brown for a more authentic crunch. :)

Nicoleposted October 19, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Can I use the cookie dough filling in these cookies or is it the wrong consistency.

• Sallyreplied on October 19th, 2014 at 8:29 pm

That would be delicious. Enjoy!

Julesposted October 23, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hello Sally…I made these Oreos today and they are so yummy! I can’t wait for my family to try them. I have made so many recipes from your site with great success. I’m going to try the carrot cake one this weekend. Congratulations on your recent wedding!

t-popposted October 26, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Can i use this recipe for my blog? I loved it so much!

Ginnyposted November 24, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Hi! Can I chill dough overnight?

Matthewposted December 18, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I was wondering if there was an alternative to vegetable shortening as I can not seem to find it in my local supermarket.

Thanks, Matthew.

Natalieposted December 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Oh my, Sally! I just made these today and they are amazing! Better than the real thing! You are seriously a baking genius! I can always trust that your recipes will be amazing! I plan on making your pineapple upside cake for Christmas as well. And I love, love, love, that you provide the measurements in grams and liters! I can’t tell you how immensely helpful that is especially since I bought my digital scale! Please never stop baking and creating new recipes!

Alyssaposted December 21, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Hey, Sally!
    I made these to bring in for my daughter’s Christmas party at preschool, hoping to do something different than the others might do. Turns out I was the only one who made something homemade. I was sad about that…but was thrilled with how these turned out! Now, I must have made mine wayyy bigger than yours, even though i went with the 2 tsp of dough you suggested (or at least tried to!). I doubled the recipe and only ended up with 14 sandwiches! As big as they were, they looked more like whoopie pies, but either way they were delicious. I did the peppermint filling and put Christmas sprinkles around the middle on the icing. So cute. Gotta try to make them smaller next time, but wow, were they good!

• Sallyreplied on December 22nd, 2014 at 8:14 am

Love the festive sprinkles around the edges! The only homemade goodie? Yikes. You came to the rescue!

Angelaposted December 22, 2014 at 6:49 pm

All my cookies from your site have always been perfect!!!!
    I just made these and came out of the oven in a flat mush .. Your note says to chill for 30 minutes…..This dough has been chilling for 2 days. Could that be the problem? Second time I have had this problem with this chocolate recipe. I’m just not sure what Im doing wrong…help!

Annaposted January 8, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Hey! So I was wondering if there was anyway to make these cookies softer? I’m making them for a school project and I want them to be softer not hard for my class. We’re trying to make alternative recipes for store bought foods (such as oreos). Thanks!

Dawnposted February 23, 2015 at 5:55 pm

I’ve been wanting to try these forever – and have made a couple dozen of your recipes in the mean time – all turn out perfect (I have 3 different granolas on my counter at the moment – cannot stay out of the triple chocolate!!). I made tar heel pie for company last weekend and while good, my hubby decided it needed more – a chocolate crust. Not wanting to buy anything, I made these cookies and crushed half of them for the crust, turned the other half into Oreo’s – both AMAZING!! My 6yr old and 4yr old twins loved the cookies – to them these are Oero’s having never had the store bought version. And the pie? Topped off with your salted caramel sauce – a dream :) Thank you Sally – I Christmas cookie palooza’d with you and my husband regularly checks out your site – he’s made the bacon wrapped cheese stuffed jalapenos a few times and he cannot wait to make the Chicago deep dish pizza.

• Sallyreplied on February 24th, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Dawn, I think it’s safe to say you’re my biggest fan. I loved reading “I christmas cookie palooza’d with you”– that made my day. Your tar heel pie with the salted caramel sounds incredible!

Tanyaposted March 5, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Can i ask what exactly is “all-purpose flour”? I leave in Europe(Belgium) and here we don’t have it.Or probably there is another name for it… :)
    Thanks in advance!

Synneposted March 7, 2015 at 5:39 am

Thank you so much for the recipe – I made mine sugarfree yesterday and they are absolutely delicious :)

jessie walkerposted March 10, 2015 at 12:03 pm

If I don’t have light brown sugar, can I just use all normal brown sugar? 1 cup total?

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2015 at 8:17 pm

For the correct texture and taste, you need 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and 1/4 cup of either light or dark brown sugar.

Mathildeposted March 13, 2015 at 11:26 am

Hi Sally!

I recently discovered your website by randomly googling “home-made oreo recipe” and since then, I absolutely love your website! I’ve only tried this Oreo cookies recipe for the moment but I’m planning to do many others, they all look so yummy!

I just wanted to ask you a question, how do you do to make the filling so white? When I’m using the usual butter and shortening I can find in shop, it just ends up light yellow. The vanilla doesn’t help either.
    I live in the UK so I was wondering if the butter here is more yellow than in USA, and I bet the brands are totally different too…

By the way, I made this recipe yesterday to bring to work for a charity, my colleagues loved these Oreos! They said it was much better than the commercial ones 😉 Thank you for this!

• Sallyreplied on March 13th, 2015 at 6:26 pm

It definitely has to do with the brand Mathilde. The butter here is pale yellow. Yours might be darker? I’m unsure! I’m so glad everyone loved these. Let me know any recipes you try next!

Keithposted April 19, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I love the idea, but wonder how I can get bourbon in that cream filling … any ideas on modifying the cream to add the alcohol? Maybe a little less butter and add gelatin? Or could I leave it as is, add bourbon and up the powdered sugar a little?

Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to try it.

• Sallyreplied on April 19th, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I would add a few Tablespoons and a little more powdered sugar to make up for the extra liquid.

Allieposted May 19, 2015 at 9:04 pm

these cookies look so good.

agustinposted June 3, 2015 at 9:36 pm

awesome cookies, they look great!, thanks for sharing this awesome recipe. I have a question and hope you can help me!, i want to make this cookies with that filling, and put melted dark chocolate on the cookie, but i am worried about for how long can they stay out from the refrigerator.I mean, the filling as has butter, how many days can stay outside?, or is it really necessary to put them on the refrigerator?, is it safe them to eat after 2 days in room temperature?, thanks you so much.

• Sallyreplied on June 5th, 2015 at 7:10 am

Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Melissaposted June 30, 2015 at 9:36 pm

These cookies look great!  Do you know if they will be ok if frozen in order to keep for a few weeks before needed?  Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on July 1st, 2015 at 8:33 am

Cookies freeze well up to 2 months.

Kimyposted August 31, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I made these but I used coconut oil instead of the veg short and made them vegan :) they came out wonderful ! Thank you for the recipe:)

keshiaposted September 5, 2015 at 6:02 pm

This is another great recipe from this site! These were super easy to make and they are so delicious.

Sarahposted October 23, 2015 at 8:00 pm

These look amazing! I know you said that these freeze well; how would you thaw them? I’m worried about condensation making them soggy and I’d like to avoid that. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on October 24th, 2015 at 10:40 am

Thaw overnight in the fridge. I’ve never had a problem that way!

• Sarahreplied on October 27th, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Do you leave the plastic wrap that you used when you froze them on when you thaw them?

Jillposted November 15, 2015 at 10:19 pm

I havent made my filing yet, but the chocolate cookie is amazing. Will definitely be making more for Christmas!!