Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes.

Made with Greek yogurt, ripe banana, whole wheat flour, and not much else. They don’t even taste healthy!

Simple Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes made with Greek yogurt, banana, whole wheat flour, and not much else!

Welcome to a new year. A fresh start. And a giant stack of healthy banana pancakes.

I made these banana pancakes on a day I was feeling extra productive. You see, I plan on sharing a bijillion healthy recipes with you this month and I got an early start preparing for Healthy January a few weeks ago.

I am not one to sacrifice great taste for health food, so if you’re looking for a treat to keep your tastebuds and your skinny jeans happy… you’ve come to the right place this month!

You may recall my Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes posted last November. I have received so many emails about this pancake recipe! Who would’ve known pancakes would be so popular? Well, I’m happy they have taken the world by storm because that recipe? It’s a goldmine. They don’t even taste healthy! Kevin once made me a stack of them with chocolate chips and a drizzle of melted peanut butter. OH my gosh. Try it.

I got a little crazy the last time I made them and added some mashed banana. I played around with the recipe a few times to make sure they kept their fluffy, light texture. If there is one thing I dread in this world – it’s a rubbery, dense pancake. And parking tickets in the city of Baltimore.

Making these pancakes is actually really simple. There’s no crazy ingredients, no crazy sugar substitute/chemical stuff you can’t pronounce. Just plain everyday ingredients like whole wheat flour, egg, mashed banana, milk, and yogurt. The pancake batter is flavored with cinnamon and vanilla extract (and banana) and is very lightly sweetened with brown sugar.

There are a few important notes about this pancake recipe that are so important to their texture and taste.

First, don’t leave out the brown sugar; your pancakes will not be good. They will taste like health food and you’ll never want to make them again. There is only 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar for the entire 8 pancake recipe. Not too shabby right?

Second, make sure you use an extra ripe banana. You’ll only need 1 banana for the pancake batter. And maybe another to serve on top. The banana I used looked like this, but was a tad browner. The browner the banana, the sweeter the banana. And the better your pancakes will taste.

Third, make sure you don’t overmix your pancake batter. Overmixing your pancake batter will result in dense, heavy pancakes. Or what I like to call hockey-puck-pancakes. You get the idea.

And last but not least? Make sure your griddle is HOT before adding the pancake batter! Here’s what I do: I preheat the griddle until drops of water evaporate immediately and dance when dropped onto it. :)

Oh! One more thing. Spray your pan or griddle between each pancake or batch of pancakes. You could use butter, but I always use nonstick spray when trying to keep breakfast on the healthier, lower-fat side.

Serve the pancakes plain with sliced bananas on top, or with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, homemade peanut butter, jam, a drizzle of honey, strawberry Greek yogurt (so good), apple butter, or this amazing stuff that tastes like a dream come true.

Here they are with a pat of all-natural peanut butter. Amazing.

While these whole wheat pancakes aren’t nearly as fluffy as my favorite buttermilk pancakes (you’ll find that recipe in my cookbook), they’re still incredibly soft and thick.  I mean, just look how thick they are!

Tall stacks of soft, thick, whole wheat banana pancakes. This is pure healthy breakfast (or dinner!) heaven, you guys.

So if you’re looking for a fresh, healthy start to 2014 – this is your recipe! You’ll absolutely feel indulgent, but all you are eating is wholesome, good-for-you ingredients in pancake form.

I’ll take a large stack everyday of the year, please and thank you.

*Pancake batter is delicate. Any slight changes you make to this recipe will yield a different result; I suggest making the pancakes exactly as written or using the alternatives given.

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

Yield: 7-8 pancakes

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Made with Greek yogurt, ripe banana, whole wheat flour, and not much else. They don't even taste healthy! Recipe may be doubled for a large family.

• 1 and 1/3 cups (167g) whole wheat flour (or white whole-wheat) (measured correctly)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 large egg (or 2 egg whites)
  • 1 cup (240ml) milk*
  • 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large banana)
  • 2 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar (or light brown)
  • 1/4 cup (63g) Greek yogurt*
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup add-ins like chocolate chips or fruit, optional

Toss the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Set aside. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and banana together. Whisk in the brown sugar and yogurt until no lumps remain. Whisk in the vanilla until combined.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Stir gently until just combined. Do not overmix the batter or your pancakes will be tough and very dense. Add any mix-ins you prefer, but again - do not overmix the batter.

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Coat generously with cooking spray, oil, or butter.  Once very hot, drop about 1/4 cup of batter on the griddle. Cook until the edges look dry and bubbles begin to form on the center or sides, about 1 minute. Flip and cook on the other side until cooked through, about 2 more minutes. Coat griddle/skillet again with nonstick spray for each pancake or batch of pancakes.

Keep pancakes warm in a preheated 200F degree oven until all pancakes are cooked. Serve immediately. Pancakes taste best right after they are made. Pancakes freeze well, up to 2 months.

*Recipe tested with both skim and vanilla almond milks. Soy milk, 1%, 2%, buttermilk, coconut milk, or rice milk are OK.

*Recipe tested with plain 0% Greek yogurt. Regular yogurt, any milk fat and your choice of flavor, is OK.

Looking for more healthy ways to start 2014?

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes

Healthy Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Sky-High Apple Blackberry Muffins

Sky High Blackberry Apple Muffins

Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshakes (3 healthy ingredients, wine glass optional…)

Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshake

Skinny Chocolate Fudge Banana Muffins

(you won’t miss the butter or oil!)

Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins

See more Healthy Choices.

See more Breakfast ideas.

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

150 Responses to “Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes.”

Erin @ Erin's Bakeshopposted January 8, 2014 at 1:28 pm

This looks like a great recipe, Sally! I love making pancakes healthy. I love using bananas in recipes, too! Bananas just bring so much to the table (no pun intended)! I am looking forward to your healthier recipes this month. I am so glad you don’t sacrifice flavor for healthiness, though! That would be a sad way to live your life!

• Sallyreplied on January 10th, 2014 at 7:02 am

Thanks Erin! Let me know if you give these pancakes. I could use a large stack of them this morning!

Kariposted January 9, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Sally! I was in Baltimore for New Year’s (and was secretly hoping I would run into you while there)! I absolutely adored the city. If I wasn’t in the hunt to move beyond Virginia and its neighboring states, I would definitely be looking into Bmore as my next destination :)

• Sallyreplied on January 10th, 2014 at 6:17 am

Isn’t Baltimore a blast?! I love it here Kari! Hope your New Years was a great time!

Erin @ Texanerin Bakingposted January 10, 2014 at 5:50 am

Haha. Love your note at the end. So polite! I’d be more like, “Follow the stupid recipe!” Or not. I actually left a note like that in yesterday’s post. I just know people are going to try messing with it.

Anyway! These look perfect. SO my kind of recipe! I’ll definitely try these out.

• Sallyreplied on January 10th, 2014 at 6:08 am

Well even the slightest change can yield such a different result – especially when it comes to whole wheat. As you are fully aware, my friend. Hope you make these!

Livposted January 15, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I made these pancakes for my family on Sunday morning, and they were met with unanimous approval! Thanks for the great recipe, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on January 16th, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hey Liv! I am so, so happy to hear that these pancakes were a hit with your family. Thanks for reporting back!

Fionaposted January 18, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Do you think I could substitute the banana with pumpkin purée? I love these pancakes but have been looking for a pumpkin recipe as well.

• Sallyreplied on January 19th, 2014 at 11:38 am

Hey Fiona! Yes, you certainly can – use about 6 Tablespoons of pumpkin (not 1/2 cup). I’ve tried it before and it’s delicious. Enjoy!

Leighposted January 20, 2014 at 9:22 am

I made these this morning and wow they are delicious! I didn’t have any plain Greek yogurt so I used low fat sour cream. I also used whole wheat pastry flour instea of regular ww flour. My family loved them! Thanks Sally!

Lisa Vargasposted January 20, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Had to try this recipe and so I made this morning for my family. It is a fantastic recipe!! Moist, fluffy and delicious!! Love the touch of cinnamon too! I added some pecans on top when I added the maple syrup, yum!! And for my son he loves chocolate chips so I added mini ones as his garnish.

You truly inspire me and I am addicted to your recipes…hugs!

• Sallyreplied on January 20th, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Oh I have to try these next with some pecans, Lisa! So glad your son enjoyed them with chocolate chips. Delicious. Thanks for reporting back!

Farah @everylittlecrumbposted January 22, 2014 at 12:01 am

I took your advice and made these…and I was so glad that I did! I made a big batch on Saturday, stuffed my face, froze the leftovers, and have had at least 2 pancakes every day since. These warm up beautifully! I put them in a 350 degree oven for around 10 minutes then smother them with mini dark chocolate chips, pecans, and maple syrup. I blogged about these and tracked back to you :) Thanks for the constant inspiration.

Sarahposted January 28, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Just as a tip that I learned from my dad to get a bit of extra fluff in the pancakes – after mixing it up, let it sit for 5 minutes or so and DO NOT STIR IT ANYMORE! It gives the baking powder a chance to start working. I normally time it with how long it takes for my cast iron griddle to be ready for pancake making. It’s just about perfect timing that way.

SweetPposted February 5, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hi, how would you change this recipe using white all purpose flour or 1/2 and 1/2?

• Sallyreplied on February 5th, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Definitely! Enjoy.

Jeanineposted February 16, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Thank you so much for this fantastic recipe! Made them this morning exactly as stated but added a handful of mini chocolate chips. Instead of syrup, I mixed heated orange blossom honey with almond butter and we lightly spread that on the pancakes. The best! Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on February 16th, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Sounds incredible Jeanine!!

Austriaposted February 23, 2014 at 10:36 am

I made these pancakes for our anniversary breakfast today (11yrs!) and just wanted to let you know how much we both enjoyed them. I used chopped walnuts as my add in & they were fantastic! Definitely moist & fluffy! This will be my go to pancake recipe from now on! Thanks so much for all you do….:)
    Cannot wait for your cookbook to arrive so I can try all things blueberry!

Jen Laceyposted March 8, 2014 at 6:45 pm

These are quite possibly the best thing I’ve ever eaten. Thank you so much!

Jilposted March 13, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Just made them! the first pancakes i ever made and they were simply delicous !!! In Germany having pancakes for breakfirst isnt very usual but from now on sunday is definitly pancake-day in my family … Thank you Sally ! :)

Al Fatehposted March 30, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I just tried it with a dash of nutmeg (I’m a sucker for nutmeg). For some reason every pancake recipe I try the batter is always too thick and I end up adding extra milk to it. I added blueberries to some and chocolate chips to some. It tastes so good! I also burned the first one on medium heat so I reduced the heat to low. Again, you are a culinary goddess <3

yudiposted April 8, 2014 at 2:57 pm

These are great! They obviously don’t taste like pancakes made with white flour but that’s totally ok with us. They were moist, fluffy and had just the right amount of sweetness and spice. LOVE the fact that they have greek yogurt in them and therefore a good bit of protein. I’ll be trying more of your recipes. Many thanks!

Jessicaposted May 4, 2014 at 10:45 am

These pancakes are AMAZING. They are a staple in my home. I make a batch once a week and freeze what we don’t eat- so we have some through out the week!
    My hubby is never a fan of the wheat pancakes I try out. And he loves them, AND my two year old! Score!
    I think the trick for others who don’t love wheat, is to try white wheat flour. It changes everything I swear.
    I also through in at least 1/4 cup ground flax seed, 1/4 mini chocolate chips (this spreads them farther than if they were big), and some pecans.
    This last batch I did all that minus the pecans, and added shredded coconut (which I put in my mini food chopper to make tiny pieces) and on top of other included ingredients I added a dash of maple flavoring.
    All I can say is WOW- These were my best batch yet! The coconut with the banana and bit of maple flavoring just sent my taste buds through the roof! No syrup needed!
    Thank you for this amazing recipe. I have shared it with all my friends and even posted to Facebook with a link to your site. :)

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:19 am

Nice! Jessica, your coconut version sounds so good. So happy you enjoy my pancake recipe!

Hayleyposted May 6, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Eating these now…yum! I usually don’t like whole wheat pancakes, but these are delicious. Is it dorky that I was reading my baby “If You Give a Pig a Pancake” and that set off a craving? :)

Jenniferposted June 8, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Made these today for the first time. Couldn’t believe how amazing these were!! SOO yummy!!! I followed the recipe exactly and used just a drop of organic maple syrup, but they were so tasty it was barely needed. It was a hit with the husband AND my toddler! :) Looking into more of your recipes soon!

Marni | Love and Duck Fatposted June 11, 2014 at 6:08 pm

I love these pancakes & added spinach to them to sneak in some extra veggies into my toddlers diet. We call them Popeye Pancakes and make them all the time! I had to add to me blog and share. Hope you don’t mind the link! http://loveandduckfat.com/popeye-pancakes-whole-wheat-banana-spinach-pancakes-picky-toddlers/

• JACKYreplied on August 7th, 2014 at 12:07 am

Yum, Sally! Usually I don’t really like pancakes (much more of a waffle fan) because they seem kind of texture-less and dull, but these look so great! I love the addition of the whole-wheat flour…that sounds like it would definitely add some great texture! I’m thinking of all kind of variations using different flavors of yogurt…my grocery store has a store brand with flavors like caramel (with caramel sauce over the top of the pancakes!!), coconut (for a kind of tropical feel), and maybe even strawberry. So many options! :) Gorgeous syrup pictures in this post

Nicoleposted July 27, 2014 at 10:34 am

Always like to make something my husband isn’t a huge fan of but I love when he’s out of town, and that’s pancakes. Had some brown bananas in the freezer ready to use up and these were amazing!!! So fluffy and flavorful, froze the rest!! You always have the answer to my “what should I make” question. Next is the almond butter cookies…

Melissaposted July 30, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Would whole milk work? I noticed it wasn’t in the list of mills you have tried?

• Sallyreplied on July 30th, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Yes, that would work. We rarely keep whole milk in the house, so that’s why I haven’t used it in my pancakes.

nikkiposted August 5, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I substituted milk for unsweetened almond milk. And the greek yogurt for a melted organic coconut/palm oil mix and added blueberries. These were amazing..and moist..my family devoured them. Best pan cakes ive ever had. Thank you!

Courtneyposted August 27, 2014 at 10:32 am

These were simply amazing! We had peanut butter chips in the house and used those as an add-in; only used about 4 Tbsp to keep them extra light, but it added a perfect little hint of peanut butter! They were so tasty, we didn’t even need syrup or anything on top. Your healthy recipes don’t even taste healthy, I love it :)

Bexposted September 2, 2014 at 11:45 pm

These were fluffy, sweet and delicious. I omitted the sugar (as am doing sugarfree September) and put in an extra banana and they were amazing!!!

Lukeposted September 22, 2014 at 11:31 am

wow! these pancakes look so delicious :)

Stacy @Stacy Makes Centsposted October 4, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Ohmywow. These are utterly amazing. Everyone LOVED them, even my picky one. Super simple recipe – super simple ingredients. What’s not to love about this one? I didn’t use the add-ins, but served with butter, maple syrup, and sliced bananas. Straight into the Favorites folder it goes!

Meganposted October 11, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I just made these for my B&B guests and they LOVED them!!!! Thanks for the great recipe!

Jasmineposted October 17, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Hi Sally!

Firstly, thank you for the prompt reply to the comment that I posted yesterday on your moist carrot cake. I just wanna say, you are one amazing culinary expert! I just made these healthy pancakes which taste way better than any others I’ve tried! My husband loves them too! I can’t believe it’s made of whole wheat flour. Please please keep the recipes coming.

Emma Dybenkoposted December 18, 2014 at 7:02 am

These were AMAZING! I made these for myself (health nut) and my parents who are not as health cautious, but they devoured them!! I made them two mornings in a row because they were so good! I also posted the link to your website through my blog :) Thanks for the amazing recipe!!

ALLIEposted December 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe!! As a mom of 3 young picky eaters, it’s tough to put creative and healthy meals together. These pancakes were amazing and didn’t even need syrup! We buy tons of bananas, so there’s always a ripe one or two readily available. They were very fluffy, sweet, & delicious. I know I’ll be making these again and keeping your recipe as a new favorite!

Nicki Skidmoreposted February 15, 2015 at 5:11 am

Oh wow! Made these for brunch this morning! Brilliant recipe very moist and fluffy pancakes –bravo!!!

Catharinaposted February 17, 2015 at 11:10 am

Got to your blog cause of this recipe. Made it today and LOVED it! Coming back for more 😉
    Greetings from Brazil!

Rose Kerrposted February 22, 2015 at 3:01 pm

I made these this morning and they were soo delicious! My husband loved them! Just wondering if you have a calorie count on the recipe? I’ll plug it into weight watchers and check but if anyone already has the count I’d appreciate it. BTW, this is the first time I have commented on a recipe so it’s gotta be good!

Vickieposted March 12, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I made these this morning but I found them to be to thin I added 2 more extra tablespoons of whole wheat flour and they where much fluffier. Great recipe and very flavorful.

Jessicaposted April 1, 2015 at 10:01 am

How many calories for one pancake?

Zeldaposted April 26, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Made these this morning. Doubled the recipe. They turned out delicious!

Nicoleposted May 3, 2015 at 12:03 pm

This recipe is awesome! I was looking for a healthy way to use these overripe bananas that we had and I tried these pancakes. My family loved them and gobbled them up in no time. Thank you so much! We will definitely have these again. We have leftover bananas all the time. :)

Alexaposted May 15, 2015 at 12:18 pm

These are so tasty!! I replaced the yogurt with half coconut peanut butter, half coconut oil (melted). They turned out really well, super fluffy and delicious. I also used local honey instead of syrup. Really delicious. I saved the rest of the batter for another day.

• Alexareplied on May 15th, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I also replaced half the milk with coconut milk!

Freyaposted June 8, 2015 at 7:34 pm

These pancakes were absolutely fantastic. I made them for me and my sister, and she ate them all! They were so fluffy, I was a bit worried they were going to be too dense when I saw how thick they became, but they were perfect (the only problem was my cooking skills, I let some burn accidentally). Thanks so much Sally! I will definitely be making these again.

Kerrianneposted June 10, 2015 at 10:52 am

i am not sure what happened but these were terrible. They were so dense. Not fluffy at all. So disappointed!

Sumnerposted June 18, 2015 at 1:20 pm

This is my go-to pancake recipe, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Today I used half oat flour, a dash of ground flax, and added in a teaspoon of ginger alongside the cinnamon. YUM. I keep coming back for more inspiration!

Kait @ Our Foodie Appetiteposted July 23, 2015 at 2:34 pm

These look fabulous. I love that you used Greek yogurt to make them a bit healthier. They look so healthy. Can’t wait to try them!! www.ourfoodieappetite.com/zynodoa-restaurant-review-staunton-va/

Traceyposted September 21, 2015 at 7:26 am

I just want to let you know that I made these pancakes 3 times this week, twice for dinner and then AGAIN! after a long weekend run. I am OBSESSED. These are the greatest. I slather them with peanut butter, slice up more banana, add a smidge of pure maple syrup on top to finish it off. Pancake heaven!

• Sallyreplied on September 21st, 2015 at 11:23 am

So happy you love them too Tracey– thanks for reporting back!

CKposted October 23, 2015 at 9:38 am

Perfection in a recipe! I added some flax, and will sub ground oats for some of the flour next time just to experiment. This really is perfect as is though, especially when fried in butter :) Thank you!

• CKreplied on November 12th, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Just made these again – double batch today, though, for the purpose of freezing for when I go back to work next week from maternity leave. I added the ground oats this time as well as chopped walnuts. I can’t thank you enough for this recipe :) perfect base for add-ins.

Theresaposted November 20, 2015 at 6:25 pm

These pancakes are amazing! I added blueberries and topped with extra chopped banana, maple syrup & shredded coconut. I’m so glad I found this recipe – thank you 😀 Wish I could share a photo of how they turned out!

Cynthiaposted November 21, 2015 at 6:00 am

Made  these for breakfast today and they were amazing! Light and fluffy!! I didn’t think it was possible using whole wheat flour…but these were perfect…topped with Nutella and peanut butter…I had a whole stack of them!! Thank you …