Baked Funfetti Donuts.

Glazed donuts filled and topped with sprinkles. These funfetti donuts are baked, not fried and are so simple to make!

These funfetti donuts taste just like your favorite sprinkled donuts at the bakery! They're baked and so easy to make at home.

When life throws you a curveball, you have 3 choices.

• Let it define you.
  • Let it destroy you.
  • Let it strengthen you.

Or just eat sprinkles. So really, you have 4 choices.

Let’s stick to number 3 and number 4 today. After quite the chaotic week, we are finally getting back to normal. My mom came to visit and helped us get organized, Kevin set up the office and living room, and the kitchen’s all ready for work. Jude even got some 50 degree weather sunbathing in.

All I wanted this morning was a donut with my coffee. It was time to test out my new oven, so rather than picking up a half dozen vanilla frosted with sprinkles, I baked a quick batch. And by quick, I mean super quick.

Good news! My oven, though slightly different from the last, works like a charm. If you bake for a living, that’s quite important. Better news! These sprinkled, glazed donuts taste like an absolute dream come true.

While they certainly don’t coincide with my “healthy january” plans, they’re still baked. Baked is better for your waistline than frying in a pot of oil, right?

Don’t worry, the double dip of glaze makes up for the baked part. Yep… I said double dip.

The recipe I used to make my baked donuts is similar to a donut recipe in my upcoming cookbook. So consider this recipe an early taste of Sally’s Baking Addiction Cookbook, ok? A glazed, funfetti preview of sorts.

You’ll need a few everyday ingredients. Simple, easy, convenient things like milk, yogurt, sugar, and butter. There’s no mixer required at all, but you will need a donut pan. I bought my donut pan for $8. Worth every penny.

Let’s talk sprinkles. I like to use colorful jimmies. I often buy them at the store, but sometimes I order them in bulk here. They’re much cheaper that way. Try not to use nonpareil sprinkles (the little balls) inside the donut batter because they will bleed and turn your batter purple and/or brown. I did, however, use a few nonpareil sprinkles to toss on top of the finished donuts. A little sprinkle “snow shower”, if you will.

To neatly transfer your donut batter into the donut pan, I highly recommend using a large zipped-top bag for ease. Here’s exactly what I do: cut a corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into each donut cup, filling 2 ∕ 3 –3 ∕ 4 of the way full.

How to Make Baked Funfetti Donuts. Get the recipe at

The glaze is a little something I taught myself from testing cookbook recipes. You’ll take all of your normal glaze ingredients and heat them together over low heat. Why heat them and not just whisk them together, you ask? Well, you’re familiar with glazed donuts from bakeries… right? You know how the glaze “sets” on the donuts and cracks when you take a big bite? That’s because the glaze was likely warmed.

Dunk a baked donut into the warmed glaze. Set on a wire rack as you work through the rest of the batch. Then dip each again.

Double dip > single dip.

Baked Funfetti Donuts. These taste just like your favorite sprinkled donuts at the bakery. And they're so simple to make at home!

I speak from experience when I say that these are the happiest donuts in the world. You literally can not NOT smile when you eat them. They certainly made my weekend much brighter. So go ahead, let your inner child indulge!

Baked Funfetti Donuts

Yield: 8 donuts

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

• 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (gives them that "bakery donut" taste)
  • 1/3 cup (65g) granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) milk1
  • 1/4 cup (60g) Greek yogurt2
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles

• 1/4 cup (60ml) milk1
  • 2 cups (240g) confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • extra sprinkles to sprinkle on top, optional

1. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
  2. For the donuts: whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and granulated sugar together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  3. Whisk the milk, yogurt, and egg together until smooth. Add the melted butter and vanilla, whisking until fully combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the sprinkles gently to ensure they do not bleed their color. I use these rainbow jimmies and they do not bleed.
  4. Spoon the batter into the donut cups—I highly recommend using a large zipped-top bag for ease, as pictured above. Cut a corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into each donut cup, filling 2 ∕ 3 –3 ∕ 4 of the way full.
  5. Bake for 9–10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow the donuts to slightly cool before glazing. I find the glaze "sets" easier onto cooled donuts.
  6. For the glaze: combine the glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan over  low heat. Whisk until the glaze is smooth. Remove from heat and immediately begin dunking the donuts, one by one, into the glaze. I simply dropped each donut into the saucepan and moved it around to coat evenly. Transfer each donut to a wire rack over a baking sheet to catch the glaze drippings. Take each donut and dunk again if you have enough glaze leftover. Sprinkle with additional sprinkles.
  7. Donuts taste best eaten the same day, though they may be covered tightly and stored at room temperature for 2 days.
  8. Make ahead tip: You can freeze the glazed or unglazed donuts for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm up to your liking in the microwave. I usually just zap 'em for a couple seconds.

1. Skim milk, 1%, 2%, whole, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, or rice milk is OK.
  2. Sour cream or nonfat, low fat, vanilla, plain, Greek, or regular yogurt is OK.

No donut pan? No problem! You can make this recipe into 8-10 muffins using a muffin pan. Bake at the same temperature for 18 minutes or until lightly browned.

I highly recommend you try my Cake Batter Cinnamon Rolls next!

Cake Batter Cinnamon Rolls (without cake mix)

244 Responses to “Baked Funfetti Donuts.”

Laurenposted June 6, 2014 at 10:29 am

So my kids have dairy and egg allergies, so I just used my substitutions.. These came out deliciously perfect! They taste like a normal donut!!! My new favorite recipie!!! Can I make them into cupcakes?

• Sallyreplied on June 6th, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Definitely! I’m unsure of the bake time though.

Cherylposted June 7, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Made these last night, ok, really it went into 3am this morning. And here it is, 9am and And I’m up making more, only this time I decided to use my BabyCakes donut hole maker. Works great either in the oven or in the BabyCakes. With the donut hole maker, you get a lot more donuts to munch on. Now, for the taste and texture. These are really, really good. I have found that using the BabyCakes, they tend to have more of an exterior found on deep fried donuts. These are great and will definitely will use this recipe again. Thanks for a great recipe. :)

Cherylposted June 7, 2014 at 12:09 pm

The one thing I forgot to mention, is my first 2 batches were made in my mini donut pan and one batch was made in my full size donut pan maker. My favorite however, is how they are coming out in my BabyCakes Donut hole maker. So, if anyone wants to know, yes, they bake up beautifully in one. Oh, and they only need to bake for 5 minutes. Then they’re done. :)

Cherylposted June 10, 2014 at 8:44 am

If you were asking me, then yes, I did remember the baking soda and baking powder. These were great. But the turned out best in the BabyCakes Donut Hole maker. More like a donut. I’m assuming it has something to do with the fact they are being baked from and top and bottom at the same time and locking in the moisture?? I don’t know. lI can only say they are great and more like a donut when baked like that, then when I baked them in my mini donut pan, or my full size donut pan, in the oven. Great recipe. :)

Sylviaposted July 5, 2014 at 9:17 am

So I only had blueberry Greek yogurt and a mini bundt pan, and these turned out soooooo great! Perfect recipe, bookmarked!

Nyashaposted July 5, 2014 at 9:21 am

Your blog is amazing, thank you very much!
    My mom gave me doughnut pan and I found your recipe
    I had no expierience, but my donuts turned out to be amazing and cute! Just like donuts from stores, this is so awesome!

Jackieposted July 12, 2014 at 1:31 am

Just made these, and they were a hit with my 8 year old. They look so good. Will be perfect for a birthday party soon.

Vickyposted July 15, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Wonderful (and easy) recipe! I wanted a snack, but did not want to mess with or wait for yeast donuts. The only sub I made was that I used sour cream in place of yogurt, and I left out the sprinkles. I lightly brushed the finished donuts with butter and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Perfect! Thank you!

Amandaposted July 16, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Is any kind of yogurt good to use?? I would love to make this now. I have all the ingredients expect for greek yogurt. Juat have regular for banana bread i made the other day.

• Sallyreplied on July 16th, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Regular yogurt is just fine.

gemmaposted August 1, 2014 at 2:24 am

Hello, I have just come across this pin and really want to make them. I am however lactose intolerant and was wondering if a soya yoghurt can be used? I see you say the milk can be replaced but just wanted to check with yoghurt?
    I prob should make them normal but would be very disappointed I couldn’t eat one lol
    Thanks gemma

• Sallyreplied on August 1st, 2014 at 8:29 am

Hi Gemma, soy yogurt is just fine.

Rosemaryposted August 21, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Do you have any recommendations for making these gluten free? Any particular flour, and should the measurement stay the same? They look awesome!

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I have no experience with GF flours. Sorry!

Madelineposted August 23, 2014 at 9:40 am

Amazing!! Didn’t have a donut tin so I tried the DIY donut pan idea from and worked perfectly!! Thank you for the wonderful recipe, I followed it to a ‘T’ (weighing out measurements) and it all went to plan 😉

Rachelposted September 2, 2014 at 12:18 pm

If I use self rising flour would I still need to add baking soda? I know that baking powder is already in the self rising flour, but not sure about the soda.

• Sallyreplied on September 2nd, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I’m unsure.

Yashira Colonposted September 4, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I don’t eat fried food since march, so I haven’t had the chance to eat a good donut, until today thanks to your blog, loved your recipes and this donuts are amazing, and so easy to make. Thank you so much! :)

Laceyposted October 13, 2014 at 10:15 am

Hi Sally! I’m finally getting around to making these donuts but had a question. I would like to make them into mini donuts and have a mini donut pan that would allow me to make 12 mini donuts. How many mini donuts would this recipe make and how long would you suggest baking the smaller size donut? Thanks so much for your help!

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hi Lacey! I’m unsure of the *exact* amount of mini donuts this recipe will yield. The bake time would be less. Again, unsure of the exact time without trying it. I don’t have a mini donut pan. Keep a close eye on them in the oven because the mini size will bake very quickly.

Joshua Coatesposted October 14, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hey! I’m just starting to bake more and stumbled across this awesome website. Great job! I’m curious: how many donuts does this recipe make? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on October 14th, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Hi Joshua – the recipe makes 8 donuts

Melissa Heansslerposted October 21, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I made these in a muffin pan without the sprinkles. I also just put them in a bag with cinn. and sugar and shook. They are Awesome so moist I’m going to try them again with pumpkin Greek yogurt instead of vanilla Greek yogurt. The reviews I got on them was great! Thank you for sharing your recipes with all of us!

Kaitlynposted November 18, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Yummy! Those look good, and I’ll be trying them tomorrow. Question though, if I wanted a chocolate glaze, would I just add a little cocoa powder to the glaze mixture?

Julieposted December 5, 2014 at 5:50 am

I just made these in my countertop Big Boss Grill using the donut plates. Again, another delicious recipe from you Sally!!!! I cheated though and sprinkled them with powdered sugar instead of icing!

Monikaposted December 31, 2014 at 8:51 am

Made these this morning for breakfast with my new donut pan I got for Christmas 😉 they were delicious!! I didn’t even need the glaze on top They were heavenly both ways 😉

Diana mendozaposted January 3, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Made this with my grandkids , just bought myself for Christmas a mini donut pan and was looking for an easy baked donuts scope and came across yours this was perfect !!! I had everything in my cupboard already. Came out perfect 1 batch gave me 24 mini donuts. So we made 2 batches one for them to take home and one for myself. They looked yummy and tasted just as yummy!!! Thank you I will come back to your site for further recipes!!! Love the photos they are a big help.

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for reporting back, Diana! So glad you and your grandkids enjoyed them.

• Katereplied on March 7th, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Did you change any of the oven temperature settings or baking time because it was a mini donut pan? Thanks :)

Naidaposted January 8, 2015 at 2:59 am

Hi there! These look fun and tasty! My 4 yr old and I will love to try these very soon. I just purchased a donut pan and will be whipping up a batch this weekend. I do have a question about the icing: using confectioners sugar in the past for glazes, it always seems to have that “powdered sugar” aftertaste. How can I mask that flavor so the icing will taste like bakery quality?

Alyssaposted January 9, 2015 at 9:53 pm

These look amazing! Will the donuts turn out ok if I double the recipe? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on January 10th, 2015 at 8:17 am

Rebeccaposted January 10, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Can you substitute sour cream for the greek yogurt?

• Sallyreplied on January 11th, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Kylie Boscoposted February 9, 2015 at 8:29 am

Can the regular All-Purpose Flour be substituted with Gluten Free Flour?

• Sallyreplied on February 9th, 2015 at 8:34 am

I’m unsure– but I can’t see why not.

Nancy M Carlsonposted February 14, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I know this is an older post but I could have sworn that I saw that you recommended a certain jimmie that did not bleed or just that they were you’re favorite to use. I consider you to be the “funfetti queen”. Who else has a funfetti nailpolish inspired by you? :) So I guess my question is: Where do you buy your funfetti? Is there one that is better then others. I see here you say to only use the jimmies and not nonpareils (due to bleeding) in the mix. So if you had your choice which would you recommend?
    Nancy Carlson

• Sallyreplied on February 15th, 2015 at 10:28 am

Hi Nancy! I always use jimmies in cake, cupcake, donut batter, etc. Because yes you are correct— they are not as likely to bleed compared to nonpareils. I recommend them over nonpareils. I usually buy mine in bulk from here:

Or I find them at Walmart, Target, the grocery store baking aisle, craft stores like Michaels and AC Moore.

mindyposted February 25, 2015 at 8:20 pm

how many does the original recipe yield? Thank you!

Erinposted February 27, 2015 at 10:19 am

The donuts were great, but the frosting was not and ruined that yummy dough!

Floraposted March 7, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Hey sally,

I was wondering how many muffins this recipe would make as am hoping to bake them this weekend! THank you!!!

• Sallyreplied on March 7th, 2015 at 6:55 pm

about 8-10

Marisaposted April 4, 2015 at 6:41 pm

So I followed the recipe tooth and nail, all but the unsalted butter part. I bought a different brand of butter than usual and I didn’t look close enough to see it was salted. I was in a hurry. It wasn’t until my donuts cakes out very flat that I realized something went terribly wrong. Would that be the reason? Using salted butter? I was so saddened to see such lifeless, limp donuts. ):

• Sallyreplied on April 4th, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Did you bake the donuts right away? Are your baking powder and baking soda expired? I like to replace mine every 3 months.

• Marisareplied on April 4th, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I baked them immediately after I put the batter in the Ziploc bag and piped it into the pan. And I just bought the ingredients from the store yesterday. I do, however, live in Utah and am at almost 6000 ft in elevation, would that have anything to do with it? I’m determined to make these donuts! They sound absolutely scrumptious.

Anaposted April 12, 2015 at 4:25 pm

What a fun breakfast! I made these today and they are delicious. I think that next time I will try to use less glaze as we found the combination of donut and glaze to be a bit too sweet. Thanks for the recipe!

Raylineposted April 21, 2015 at 9:56 pm

This looks awesome! I plan to make these to test out for my twin girls breakfast Bday party. :) Would you happen to also have a chocolate version? Or can I just add some cocoa powder to the recipe? If so, how much do you think? Thanks! :)

Connieposted May 9, 2015 at 3:27 am

Made these tonight, they were so easy to put together and the recipe was easy to follow, however they tasted HORRIBLE.. 1/2 half cut of sprinkles made me nervous but I followed the directions and it turned out to be way too many sprinkles!!! and the frosting tasted like sugar paste. I’m sorry! they look so cute in the picture but they were easier on the eyes rather than my mouth. loved the trick of dipping the doughnuts twice for the icing! great tip!

jemir colonposted May 12, 2015 at 2:42 pm

OMG!! I made this on Monday they were great they came out so moist and delicious.. this weekend chocolate frosted donuts.. Thank You Sally :)

Carolynposted May 30, 2015 at 10:35 am

I made these with gluten free flour and they turned out great!! My whole family loved them.

Nadineposted June 9, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Thank you so much for this delicious receipe! My kids love these donuts! I also tried a Wilton receipe, but we like yours a lot more! I’m going to make these for the upcoming Kindergarten party. Greetings from Germany 😉

Elaineposted June 19, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Can I prepare the batter the day before and just bake them in the morning?

• Sallyreplied on June 20th, 2015 at 7:03 am

Hi Elaine, the baking powder is activated right away once it is mixed with the wet ingredients. This batter must be baked after mixing. You could, however, mix the dry and wet separately and then combine the two in the morning.

• Elainereplied on June 20th, 2015 at 8:53 am

Thank you! That’s what I’ll do.

Kerry Sposted July 12, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Hi Sally!

I would like to make these as minis. Should I adjust the cooking time/temp?

• Sallyreplied on July 13th, 2015 at 7:07 am

The bake time will be a minute or two less. Enjoy!

Kristenposted August 9, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Hi Sally- I  just got a donut pan and this was my first recipe! The donuts came out delicious, but the glaze was an epic fail! It set perfectly but had the most horrendous taste… have you ever had a problem with confectioners sugar? It was not past the exp. date, it was stored in the cardboard container but not airtight so I am not sure if that was the problem. It had such a chemically/soapy taste to it. I am nervous to try another glaze but may try another brand. Luckily I left ~4 donuts unglazed so I am enjoying them now.

Jessicaposted August 19, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Hi Sally, is there a way of adapting this recipe to replace some of the flour or other ingredients with vanilla cake mix? I’m trying for a birthday cake donut recipe and thought this looked like a good place to start!

• Sallyreplied on August 19th, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Jessica, I’m not entirely sure. I wonder if there are cake mix donut recipes out there because I don’t know the best way to go about it here. Cake mix is a funny ingredient to work with sometimes!

• Jessicareplied on August 19th, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Thanks! I’ll keep looking.