Loaded Oatmeal Cookies.

Soft-baked, ultra chewy, and simple oatmeal cookie recipe. Only 30 minutes to chill, you’ll have oatmeal cookies in no time. Load them with your favorites!

Soft & chewy Loaded Oatmeal Cookies. Sweetened with brown sugar and loaded with butterscotch, M&Ms, and chocolate chunks!

A lot of readers ask me… what’s your favorite basic cookie recipe? Well, I have a few.

For super soft & thick, try my chocolate chip cookies and add in whatever you like! For extra chewy, try my chewy chocolate chunk cookies. For sugar cookies – bake these, for chocolate cookies – I suggest these, for peanut butter cookies – use this recipe, and for snickerdoodles – bake these in only 20 minutes.

But for oatmeal cookies? You’re looking at them.

My favorite oatmeal cookie couldn’t be any more straightforward and simple. They’re soft, they’re chewy, kissed with molasses flavor, and ready for any add-ins your tastebuds desire. I typically make them with raisins and/or M&Ms – published here.

Those photos were updated recently – that’s how often I make these oatmeal cookies!

☆ Cookie science talk ahead. ☆ Aka nerd alert.

My oatmeal cookie dough starts with creamed butter, brown sugar, and granulated (white) sugar. It’s important to know that sugar is used to not only sweeten the cookies, but to give them structure, texture, tenderness, and volume. In most of my cookie recipes, I prefer to use more brown sugar than white sugar. This is because brown sugar holds more moisture than white sugar and thus will produce a softer, moister final baked good. I like to use dark brown sugar since it has a slightly higher amount of molasses. However, if you’re in a pinch and only have light brown sugar – that’s ok!

I recently began adding a Tablespoon of dark molasses into my oatmeal cookie dough. It’s a little something I picked up from one of my cookbook cookie recipes (recipe on page 109!). 1 Tablespoon doesn’t sound like much. And you’re right! It’s not that much. But it’s just enough to give a subtle amount of extra molasses flavor. However, don’t go buy a bottle just for this recipe. They’re fine without it.

I played around with the oats to flour ratio a lot when I first published this oatmeal cookie recipe. I’ve found that more oats to flour is what I like best. I want my oatmeal cookies to taste, for lack of better words, oat-y! Oats provide a fabulously chewy texture and soak up moisture from the cookie dough and hold onto it while the cookies bake in the oven. Similar to how oats soak up all the moisture when you are making oatmeal for breakfast. This is a good thing!

There is always the question of which type of oats to use in recipes. For these? I use old-fashioned whole oats in this recipe, as opposed to quick oats. Quick oats, which are more powdery than whole oats, may dry out your cookies.  You could certainly try using them, but I prefer whole oats. They give more texture: hearty, chewy, thick.

I’ve learned over the past year how important it is to use room temperature eggs when using room temperature or melted butter in cookie recipes. Room temperature eggs incorporate evenly into your cookie dough – guaranteeing a uniform structure among every cookie in your batch. That’s why you use eggs in cookies – for structure.

Tip: When I need room temperature butter for creaming, I set out the egg(s) with the butter about 1 hour before beginning. If you forget to set out your egg, no worries. Place it into a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes, then use.

This thick cookie dough can hold a lot of add-ins. I chose peanut butter M&Ms, butterscotch morsels, and chocolate chunks. I couldn’t think of a better combination! If you have it in your pantry, throw it in. I was going to add a few pecans, but I know many people aren’t as “nuts” about nuts in their cookies as I am. Whatever goodies you choose, try to stick to about 1 and 1/2 cups total add-ins.

The cookie dough is only slightly sticky. And you know what I always do with sticky cookie dough right? I chill it. Sticky cookie dough = spreading. You’ll want these cookies to spread, but not overspread into flat discs on your baking sheet. So, chill the dough for about 30 minutes. Just enough time for you to clean up and pre-heat the oven.

I like to use a cookie scoop for oatmeal cookies. It grabs onto the textured cookie dough better than my hands can. Here is the cookie scoop I use (I own it in sizes medium and large – I used size medium for these cookies).

Scoop/roll 1.5 Tablespoons of dough per cookie. Press a few extra add-ins directly into the tops of the cookie dough balls. Why do I suggest that? It guarantees you’ll have a few pretty chunks on top of your baked cookies. Here a few cookie dough balls… you can see I pressed some broken peanut butter M&Ms into the tops.

Bake the cookies until they are lightly browned on the edges. This could be 10 minutes in your oven or 12 minutes in your oven. It’s about 11 minutes in my oven. The centers are slightly underbaked, but will set up as you let the cookie cool.

If your self control allows that… 😉

Dunk them in milk, crumble them on ice cream, bring them to friends, bake them for the kids, whatever you do with them – I know they’ll soon be a cookie jar favorite. Who doesn’t love an old-fashioned, super soft and chewy oatmeal cookie?

I hope you love my favorite loaded oatmeal cookies! And that you learned a few things along the way today. Let me know what goodies you throw into them!

A few suggestions:

• Peanut butter M&Ms + butterscotch + chocolate chips/chunks (pictured today)
  • Raisins + chopped pecans/walnuts + dark chocolate chunks
  • Peanut butter chips + chocolate chips
  • Chopped Snickers + peanuts
  • Pretzel pieces + chopped peanut butter cups
  • Dried cranberries + white chocolate

Go ahead, let your creativity run wild!

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Loaded Oatmeal Cookies

Yield: 18 cookies

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes, includes chilling

Soft-baked, ultra chewy, and simple oatmeal cookie recipe. Load them with your favorites!

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup  (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon (20g) dark molasses
  • 1 and 2/3 cups (140g) old-fashioned whole rolled oats
  • 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour, (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups add-ins (I used butterscotch morsels, chopped peanut butter M&Ms, and chocolate chunks)

1. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg and mix on high until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla and molasses and mix on high until combined. Set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, toss the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together. Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Fold in the add-ins. Dough will be thick. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
  3. Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  4. Roll balls of dough (about 1.5 tablespoons of dough per cookie) and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. I pressed a few extra M&Ms into the tops of the cookies for looks. Bake for 10-11 minutes until very lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  5. Make ahead tip: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can make the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Allow to come to room temperature and continue with step 3. Baked cookies freeze well - up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well - up to three months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw.

Here are a few other cookie recipes you’ll love.

Chewy Oatmeal M&M Cookies

Chewy Oatmeal M+M Cookies

Peanut Butter Cup Oatmeal Cookies

Peanut Butter Cup Oatmeal Cookies

Honey Roasted Peanut Butter Oatmeal Scotchies

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Scotchies

1 Giant Oatmeal Creme Pie

1 Giant Oatmeal Creme Pie. Like Little Debbie's, but bigger and better! sallysbakingaddiction.com

Biscoff White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Biscoff White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

See more cookie recipes.

Soft, chewy, simple oatmeal cookies that are perfect for your favorite add-ins like butterscotch, candies, nuts, and more!
Soft and chewy Loaded Oatmeal Cookies-- fill with your favorite chips, chunks, and candies!

127 Responses to “Loaded Oatmeal Cookies.”

Luv What You Doposted February 12, 2014 at 10:55 pm

These look fantastic! I love a cookie that allows me to use the little bits of chips I have left in my pantry!

Amyposted February 12, 2014 at 11:09 pm

The bright peanut butter M&Ms look so cheerful! And somehow I missed the memo that those existed… I only knew about peanut, almond, pretzel, and crispy. Other than the regular. (Although I did cave and buy a package of the gingerbread ones during Christmastime… Not quite good enough for me to bake with!)

And I’m SO excited for your cookbook to finally arrive on my doorstep!! It’s practically torture, hearing you mention little hints before I can actually see them myself. 😉 But knowing you and your amazing baking talent, it’ll definitely be worth the wait!

• Sallyreplied on February 13th, 2014 at 9:13 am

I’m so happy you’re excited for my book Amy! Only 2 more weeks. :) And you MUST buy a bag of those pb M&Ms! You’re missing out. Buy a bag and let me know when you taste them!

• Amyreplied on February 13th, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Well… If you say so! 😉 And at least I’d know they wouldn’t “sneak” off on me, seeing as my guy hates PB!

Erinposted February 15, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I really shouldn’t admit this, but I have to. I’ve made double batches of these cookies TWICE this week!! (No, not all for me!). But they are THAT good. Thank you, thank you Sally!! I caught myself wishing I had chopped Reese’s for this last batch…guess I’ll have to make them again!!

• Sallyreplied on February 15th, 2014 at 5:21 pm

These cookies are amazing with chopped Reeses. :) Happy you love them Erin!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted February 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Your tips are awesome! I’m totally on an oatmeal cookie kick lately. Now I’m in the mood for more!

Christineposted February 16, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I was so excited about the add-ins that I forgot to put in oats! LOL! I was mixing it thinking my dough sure didn’t SEEM very thick…then I realized DOH, I’m making OATMEAL cookies!

Anyways, getting ready to bake them now…the dough is amazing. That bit of molasses adds so much to the batter. My add ins are M & M’s, butterscotch chips and peanut butter chips. I really SHOULDN’T eat one baked since I sampled a bit more dough than intended….maybe I’ll make myself a teeny one to try….

• Sallyreplied on February 16th, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Glad you’re making them Christine! And yes, that little touch of molasses really makes a difference! Enjoy. :)

• Christinereplied on February 18th, 2014 at 8:26 am

I must have done something wrong because these just wouldn’t bake up properly for me. The bottoms cooked really fast and the tops were just strange. I re-read the directions and am pretty sure I added all of the ingredients but given I initially forgot oats, who knows! I will try them again at a later date. It wasn’t a complete loss…I thoroughly enjoyed eating the dough! :-)

Kelly Kalataposted February 22, 2014 at 7:50 pm

My family is munching on these right now! What a great recipe Sally, and very easy to put together. The taste profile is perfect! Yum! I used a medley of chip flavors in mine: peanut butter, white chocolate, milk chocolate. They turned out great!

Julieposted February 25, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Wow! You’ve really hit one out of the park with these cookies!!!!
    They are definitely my favorite recipe of yours to date (& we’ve tried a lot!)
    I finally made them today with all butterscotch chips. Soooo good, my favorite oatmeal scotchies ever!!!
    Thank you & God bless you Sally!

• Sallyreplied on February 25th, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Yeah! Love them with just butterscotch chips!

Renee @ Awesome on $20posted March 2, 2014 at 3:25 am

Thanks for giving measurements in grams. It’s so much easier and more accurate. These cookies look amazing!

• Sallyreplied on March 2nd, 2014 at 1:44 pm

You’re very welcome! I weigh my own ingredients, and I know it’s also helpful for readers overseas.

Katelynposted March 10, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I am at work, just dying to get home and make some cookies. Yummmm. So my question is, what do you think about baking in a toaster oven? It’s hit or miss for me.. too gooey or too burned. Any tips would be so appreciated!

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Katelyn, I’ve never baked these particular cookies in a toaster oven before. But this is a solid cookie recipe and I have no doubt they wouldn’t be just fine in the toaster oven. To avoid them from drying out, underbake for about a minute. Enjoy!

Trixie in CTposted March 24, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Hey Sally!

I just made a batch of these cookies and you have knocked another one out of the park!

The molasses wasn’t overwhelming – it added a depth of flavor that made these cookies especially delicious. This will be my go-to recipe for oatmeal cookies, and I’ll probably add some raisins next time (this time all I had was chocolate chips)…. also, I’ll double the recipe because at the rate I’m eating these, there won’t be any left for Part 2 of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Reunion tonight!

Your fan in CT…. Trixie

marcelaposted April 4, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Hello , I’m currently on a no white carbs diet and was wondering if I could somehow replace the flour with either coconut cornstarch and wholewheat bread flour somehow and if so then how could Ido that ? It would be very helpful and also would they still taste similarly ,? I really want to make these tomorrow so hopefully I’ll get an answer :)

Kaitlynposted May 11, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I don’t even like oatmeal cookies but I LOVED these! I put raisins and mini M&Ms in mine. The best was right out of the oven and into a bowl of blue bell homemade vanilla ice cream! Huge hit with the entire family too!

• Sallyreplied on May 11th, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Yes! These are so, so good with ice cream. And I can only imagine how amazing the combo of raisins and mini M&Ms is. Love oatmeal raisin cookies!

Jackieposted May 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I just had to leave a comment after baking these cookies! I’m from the UK, and I often find that baking cookies with US recipes leaves me with a cookie sheet that’s cooked into one cookie lump! Not so these! (I suspect your measurements helped!) I even substituted the all-purpose flour for the gluten free version, and it’s worked just fine, so your recipe gets the thumbs up from me! (I’m not GF, but one of my best friends is coeliac – she does eat oats, I checked) I used crunchy M&Ms, milk chocolate chips and a few sultanas in mine. I can’t wait to see how they taste! (They are cooling downstairs as I type.) Thank you for a wonderfully easy recipe!

Nosh Garcia-Castilloposted June 11, 2014 at 3:02 am

I’d like to add mashed bananas. Is there any alteration in the recipe that I should consider since I’ll be adding a wet ingredient?

Hayleyposted June 12, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I made these a couple days ago (GREAT by the way) and my dough wasn’s sticky at all. If this happens again, should I still chill the dough in the fridge?

• Sallyreplied on June 12th, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Yep! Chilling is always a good idea.

Ashleyposted August 7, 2014 at 9:37 am

Hey Sally,

I’ve made a WHOLE BUNCH of your recipes and they’re ALWAYS a hit. I’ve made these before but this time, I’ll be pressed for time. Can I chill them for longer than 30 minutes? Thinking I’m going to make them tonight and then bake tomorrow, will that be fine?

• Sallyreplied on August 7th, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Hi Ashley. Yes, you may chill this cookie dough for longer. Take it out of the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking.

Perposted August 15, 2014 at 9:11 am

Can your trick of adding an extra egg yolk, using melted butter, and corn starch be used to add extra chewiness to the oatmeal cookies in the same way as in your extra chewey chocolate chip cookies?

PS: i tried the recipe for the snickers chocolate chip cheese cake bars last weekend…awesome :-)

Per J. (Norway)

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Definitely! These cookies are already ultra chewy. With an extra egg yolk here, I recommend chilling the cookie dough for closer to 1 hour since the dough will be a little more moist.

• Per Jreplied on August 17th, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Tried it and it worked out as I’d hpoed for, they became ultra chewey. I added so much goodies inside that they became a tad rich, but noone complained. For the chewey hocolate chip cookies I substituted 125 grams of the choccolate chips with salted pistacchios….it’ a winner with the salty crunchy addition.
        I’d like to add that I had to experiment with cooking time, as three tablespoon size cookies didn’t finish in 10 or 12 minutes for that matter, because they didn’ completely “melt” down. 325 F turned out to be insufficient in my oven. It equates to ca 163 degrees centigrade (as european ovens are scaled to), but I found upping the temp to 180 C or 356 F for 12 minutes did the trick for the bigger size cookies. I also found it easier to size the cookies evenly by rolling the dough into a “salami thick sausage” shape in cling wrap, and then to cut it in even sizes with a sharp knife, since trying to use a spoon on the chilled cookiedough was nigh on impossible…

Per J.

Carrie Kayaaniposted October 30, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Sally, you make the most delicious and best cookies out there! I add cranberries and walnuts into the oatmeal dough and they have become a favorite in my house. These are my dad’s favorite cookies. :)

dianeposted November 4, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I made these today with raisins, walnuts, butterscotch and white choc chips. Delicious! Love theadded molasses. It gives the cookie sometin sometin! Thanks!

Nicoleposted November 6, 2014 at 9:30 pm

H Sally!
    I am wondering if I am able to use FANCY molasses for this recipe? (There were so many different types in the store but I ended up going for fancy..then I just saw that you specified ‘dark’)

• Sallyreplied on November 7th, 2014 at 9:28 am

yep, that’s fine

• Nicolereplied on November 7th, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Wow! thanks so much for the quick reply! :)

Lauraposted November 13, 2014 at 3:23 pm

So yummy!! I am obsessed with your cookie recipes because they’re always prefectly chewy. You definitely take the time to perfect each recipe and I greatly appreciate it because I know nothing about cooking!!! Also, I added butterscotch and coconut. Coconut makes it extra chewy mmm!

Heather Steeleposted November 14, 2014 at 3:28 am

Good Gracious, these are AMAZING! I know you disrecommended any alterations but I’m vegan. . . so. . . I went all Post Punk Kitchen on this recipe and substituted ground flax seed for the eggs (which, btw, lent an absolutely extraordinary slightly nutty flavor), and Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Baking Sticks for the butter. Man oh man did they ever knock our socks off! Just the chewy deliciousness I was hoping for. Thank you!

• Anniereplied on January 31st, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Heather – How much flax seed do you use to replace the eggs and do you add anything else also? I would love to make these for an egg-intolerant friend. Thanks. And thanks to you Sally for ALL YOU DO! Love your recipes!

• Heather Steelereplied on February 5th, 2015 at 12:59 am

I ground 1 tablespoon flax seed in a spice grinder (buy the whole flax seeds; the pre-ground flax meal doesn’t work) and let it soak in three tablespoons warm water for about five minutes. This will substitute one egg.

Magz31posted December 6, 2014 at 1:49 am

How many cookies does this recipe make?

• Sallyreplied on December 6th, 2014 at 8:54 am

yield: 18 COOKIES

Roy Niemannposted December 10, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Accidentally stumbled upon your web site. This is fantastic. I love the science/comments/etc. not just the recipes. I love to experiment and this is just the site to help in that endeavor.

Thanks so much….I’m spreading the word!
    Best Regards,
    Roy Niemann
    Norristown, PA

Sheri annposted January 1, 2015 at 6:54 pm

This is my second night in a row making these cookies.. I took the advice of one of your followers and added the extra egg yolk, melted the butter and added the cornstarch.. OMG!! SO DELICIOUS.. SO GLAD I STUMBLED UPON YOUR PAGE.. Making the cinnamon roll cake tomorrow.. Can’t wait!!

Saskiaposted January 19, 2015 at 8:38 am

Hi Sally, how many cookies do you get out of this recipe?

I think I will try them with cranberries and dark chocolate since I don’t like white chocolate.

• Sallyreplied on January 19th, 2015 at 8:50 am

Yield: 18 COOKIES

Saskiaposted January 20, 2015 at 3:57 am

I decided to make then last night with cranberries and dark chocolate and took them to work with me this morning. My co workers loved them. Got aksed for the recipe, so will direct them to your site.

To be honest , I don’t find making cookies that easy. It is always such a balance to get them perfectly cooked. You can”t overcook them because they turn rockhard and to much undercooking isn’t good either. Even with the same recipe and oven it is always exciting to see if I can get them right.

Heatherposted February 27, 2015 at 4:05 pm

These were exactly what I was looking for, I used butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut. I’m making my second batch this afternoon a little less sweet with raisins, coconut and pecans! I like a little crunch with my chew :)

• Sallyreplied on February 27th, 2015 at 5:53 pm

mmm your version with the coconut and butterscotch sounds so good!

• LaTricereplied on June 14th, 2015 at 6:56 pm

That sounds so good!! I LOVE coconut and butterscotch. :-)

Carlyposted July 23, 2015 at 3:00 am

Thanks for another awesome recipe! I originally started with a batch of chocolate chips and walnuts and they were delicious. Then with the next baking sheet I decided to experiment a bit by stuffing the choco chip/walnut cookies with half a Kraft caramel, and topping with a few cut up caramel pieces and sea salt. These were even better than the first sheet!
    Soooo good. I will definitely make these again. I think next time I’ll try a combo of Snickers and pretzels

Caterinaposted August 6, 2015 at 7:33 am

Hands down the best oatmeal cookies I have ever made.  My add ins were mini M&Ms and peanut butter chips.  I delivered half the batch to a friend recovering from the flu along with some of your yogurt and blueberry swirl popsicles.

aislinn @ cakes and chaosposted August 16, 2015 at 2:04 pm

oh wow… these look incredible! I wasn’t at all hungry before I read this post but now all I want to do is eat cookies!

Miriamposted September 17, 2015 at 6:50 am