Blueberries ‘n Cream Danish Braid.

Follow these easy instructions and create a flaky, buttery cream cheese danish at home!

Homemade Blueberries 'n Cream Danish Braid

One of the kitchen challenges I gave myself last year was to make homemade Danish pastry. You know those buttery, flaky, fruit/cream cheese filled pastries at catered breakfasts and meetings? They’re totally irresistible, I know.

Making Danish pastry at home was extremely intimidating, but I put on my big girl pants last October and spent days in my kitchen trying my hand at it. Call me determined, call me pastry crazy, call me whatever but I finally got it! Lucky for us, the recipe I use to make our beloved pastries at home is a quick-method.

If you haven’t tried it yet, now is the time. Don’t be scared; you can do this too!

Homemade Blueberries 'n Cream Danish Braid

My Danish pastry dough and method is an adaption of several trusted sources: Cooking IllustratedJoy of Cooking, and pastry master Beatrice Ojakangas. I studied the three methods and sort of mish-mashed them all together. Using what I learned, I made a beautiful Iced Raspberry Danish Braid and brought it to Kevin’s parents’. If heaven had a taste, it would be my raspberry danish braid.

While snowed in this past week, I made the Danish pastry again – cream cheese filling this time. I also tried to cut the pastry into cute little shapes. Squares, rectangles, circles, twists. What a disaster! They puffed up, but looked incredibly awkward and lopsided.

I’ll spare you the photos.

I’m better at pastry braids. It seems like braiding the dough would be harder than cutting into shapes, but trust me – it isn’t! Just follow my instructions and visuals and you’ll be a Danish pastry master in no time. Promise.

Homemade Blueberries 'n Cream Danish Braid

In case you missed it a few months ago, let me explain what Danish pastry is.

What is Danish Pastry?

Danish pastry is made from flour, yeast, milk, eggs, and copious amounts of butter. The texture is similar to croissant dough, but tastes sweeter (and has the addition of egg in the dough). Like croissants, typical Danish pastry dough is rolled out thinly, then folded into numerous layers with a butter square. Flaky, buttery layers. That’s what makes it so good!

My Shortcut to Danish Pastry

Rather than laminating the dough with a butter square like Danish and croissant dough typically requires, I cut the cold butter into the dough. Which is a method I use for making my favorite pie crust. You’ll still get the flaky, buttery layers you love about Danish pastries, but you’ll cut a lot of work from the process.

I have a separate page for you dedicated to preparing and shaping this Danish braid. Before you begin, I suggest reading through the entire dough recipe. It takes some planning ahead. Certain ingredients must be at room temperature, certain ingredients must be warm, while others must be cold. Temperature is very imperative to the success of your Danish pastry dough! So be sure to be prepared by reading my instructions first.

How to Make Blueberries & Cream Danish Pastry Braid

The dough must be sufficiently chilled whenever you are working with it.

There are two stages of chilling:

1. Chill the dough right after you prepare it. Chill it in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4 hours. (And up to 3 whole days.)
  2. Chill the dough after the “roll and fold” process (of which I detail in the pastry dough recipe) and before you braid it. Chill for at least 30 minutes. During this second chilling time, you could actually keep the dough frozen for up to 1 month. Then thaw overnight in the refrigerator.

Because of all the chilling, this pastry is a wonderful recipe to begin the night before and serve as brunch the next morning. Or even prep the dough a few days in advance so your work can be cut down. I detail make-ahead instructions in the pastry dough recipe.

It’s important to know that this recipe makes 2 lbs of dough, which equals 2 braids. The filling and glaze recipes below are enough for 2 braids. 1 braid should serve 4-6 people. Make 2 braids for company. If you don’t need that many tempting danishes around, freeze the second half of the dough for a later time. That’s what we do!

The filling I used is a simple cream cheese mixture. Lightly sweetened and the perfect creamy center for the flaky dough. It sort of tastes like cheesecake. Cheesecake tucked inside buttery pastry. Oh yes. I dotted the cream cheese filling with blueberries and topped the braid with a few sliced almonds before baking. (Also a simple egg wash to leave a shiny finish.)

Once the braid is finished, you’ll drizzle it immediately with a simple glaze. Try to go very light on the glaze because you’ll want the cream cheese filling to stand out. Toasted almonds, cheesecake filling, juicy blueberries, flaky pastry, vanilla glaze. What a combination of flavors this braid has!

Homemade Blueberries 'n Cream Danish Braid

My homemade pastry is nothing like those mass-produced, overly sweet danishes you’re used to finding at the store. My mom put it perfectly “store bought danishes taste so old.” Yes, they do! And they’re filled with a bunch of gunk I can’t even pronounce.

It’s simple to create a tender, flaky pastry dough at home. I know it seems scary, but take some time to read through the easy instructions before you begin. That will make the whole pastry-making-process much easier for you! It’s not rocket science, it’s fruity pastry.

Don’t be overwhelmed by my wordy instructions. The more thorough I am, the more help you have to make a successful braided pastry. You can do this!

Blueberries 'n Cream Danish Braids

Yield: 2 braids, 4-6 servings each

Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Total Time: at least 6 hours, which includes chilling time

Cream Cheese Filling

• 8oz (224g) full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
  • optional: 1/3 cup sliced almonds

Vanilla Glaze

• 1/2 cup (60g) confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon (15ml) heavy cream (or milk)

1. Make the pastry dough through step 7.
  2. Make the filling: in a medium bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and egg yolk together on medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Continue with steps 8-10, including preheating the oven to 400F, in the pastry dough recipe for how to assemble. *Don't forget to add the blueberries on top of the filling (as pictured above) and sprinkle the uncooked braids with the sliced almonds before baking.
  3. As the braids are baking, prepare the vanilla glaze by whisking all of the ingredients together. After 10 minutes of cooling, drizzle the braids lightly with glaze and serve immediately.
  4. Braids taste best served on the same day. Dough may be prepared in advance. See "make ahead" instructions in the pastry dough recipe.

Dough recipe adapted from Cooking IllustratedJoy of Cooking, and Beatrice Ojakangas.

Here’s my Iced Raspberry Danish Braid recipe

Iced Raspberry Danish Pastry

See more pastry recipes.

Click through to learn how to make unbelievable cream cheese danish at home!

114 Responses to “Blueberries ‘n Cream Danish Braid.”

Jessicaposted April 19, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I made this tonight, intended for Easter breakfast tomorrow, and my daughters already ate half of one. I wish I had added the almonds for a bit of bite in the texture, but one of my daughters dislikes them. It was still amazingly delicious (and warm) and I have to hold them all back from eating the other 1 1/2 (still warm). I’m eager to have some with coffee.

Thank you for this. My eldest says it tastes like pancakes with a hug.

Anne Johnsonposted April 20, 2014 at 6:58 am

Sally. Oh. Sally. I made this last night, for Easter breakfast. I subbed cherry pie filling and cream cheese for the filling. It’s the best danish recipe EVER!!!! It’s so easy, and soooooo yummy!!! It’s our new favorite! Thank you so much!!!! Happy Easter!!!

• Sallyreplied on April 20th, 2014 at 7:53 am

So glad you tried it! I have to try a cherry version soon. Enjoy!

Carolineposted June 23, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Hey Sally! Love the recipe :) Would it work with regular cream cheese?

• Sallyreplied on June 23rd, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Yes, I always use regular full fat cream cheese (not fat free or light).

Annaposted June 26, 2014 at 9:10 pm

These look amazing! I’ll be trying them tonight to be served for breakfast tomorrow. Been studying the dough recipe for days! Quite nervous since it’s my first attempt. Wish me luck! :)

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2014 at 8:27 am

Good luck! Take your time with it – glad you read through the recipe a few times before beginning. That, right there, spells success. Enjoy!

Joposted July 11, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Sally I just made this to take on a picnic tomorrow with my Hungry Hubby – we’ve only been married 4 years but we’ve been together for 14 on Monday se we’ve taken a long weekend off to celebrate. The pastry is amazing! The lamination is wonderful and it tastes sublime. I love the blueberry cheesecake vibe to it too. Thank you for sharing a wonderful recipe I can’t wait to make again! 😀

• Sallyreplied on July 11th, 2014 at 2:47 pm

So so glad you made and are loving this Jo! Thanks for reporting back. Have an amazing anniversary weekend!

Colleenposted July 12, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Haha whenever I’m browsing Pinterest for dessert ideas I always find myself back at your site Sally! It’s so awesome and everything looks so delicious! Especially this Danish.

• Sallyreplied on July 13th, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Colleen! I’m so happy you always wind up back here :)

Nickiposted August 25, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I studied this one for months before finally attempting this weekend. The dough was so, so sticky. I rolled it out on parchment and cut the strips, but couldn’t peel the strips off the parchment without tearing. I ended up kind of wrapping the parchment up around it and kind of…I don’t know…smooshing it together that way??? So, it looked like a giant mess, but the dough was soooo light and flaky! We devoured it! I’m hoping maybe I just need to incorporate more flour in the rolling and folding process and it will go better next time. Any other troubleshooting suggestions for me? Thanks for the delicious recipe!

• Sallyreplied on August 25th, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Hey Nicki! Let’s think. Did you measure your flour correctly? Was your butter extremely cold? Try freezing your butter next time then cutting it in. I find this is very helpful if I make the dough on a humid day (when lots of hot moisture is in the air). And a little bit more flour helps, too!

Alyssaposted September 27, 2014 at 9:50 am

Hi Sally! These Danishes look amazing! I was wondering, your pastry dough recipe makes enough for two braids, so if I wanted to make one raspberry and the other one your blueberry cream cheese filling would
    I cut the filling recipes in half so as to only make enough for one? Thank you sorry for the dumb question!

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Exactly, Alyssa. Simply cut both filling recipes in half.

Katharinaposted November 11, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Absolutely love your danish recipe and so does my family… I actually made the cream cheese version and added your raspberry filling on top of the cream cheese filling instead of blueberries and skipped the glaze… was a total hit. Another time I made your raspberry filing using mixed berries, really yummy too. I have been making this recipe with varied fillings (apple, poppy, mixed berries) quiet frequently, next I want to try it with a nut filling (should be similar to a “bear claw”). Thank you so much for posting this recipe, like you stated I will never buy danishes again.

jjposted November 12, 2014 at 11:02 pm

These look great! I am wondering if you can prep the braids completely, then instead of baking you’d freeze them immediately. Then on the day you’d eat them thaw them on a baking sheet until doubled in size then bake. Like the butter braids you buy at school fundraisers. If anyone has tried this or knows if this will work let me know!

Michelleposted November 14, 2014 at 8:37 am

Oh my goodness! This is, by far, the most delicious thing that I have ever made. Thank you so much for making this seem approachable. I never would have thought that I could have made something like this but your step-by-step instructions (and beautiful pictures) really made it easy. I feel like I can do anything in the kitchen now. Wonderful recipe! I sincerely appreciate it! :-)

• Sallyreplied on November 14th, 2014 at 1:16 pm

thanks Michelle! I am so glad you gave this a try. great job making it!

Colleenposted November 26, 2014 at 10:54 am

I wanted to make this for my family for thanksgiving morning, but I had a question. Could I put it in the fridge after filling it and braiding it overnight, so that I can bake it in the morning, or will it get too soggy?

• Sallyreplied on November 26th, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Unfortunately, no. Sogginess would be the first issue and leakage would be another. So, it must be baked right away.

Eleasaposted December 1, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Fantastic, easy recipe. I’ve made this at least 5 times now with great results every time. The cream cheese filling is amazing and has gone well with a variety of fillings: fresh blueberries, apple cinnamon, and pumpkin. I get rave, and I mean RAVE, reviews from everyone who gets to sample these things. Thanks so much for taking the time to post such detailed instructions. Your recipes seriously make me look like a star baker!

Tracy Tposted December 24, 2014 at 2:18 am

Trying the raspberry Danish for Christmas morning to impress the family and in-laws. It’s not easy to do but if this comes out right, they will have to say YUM!

Khuzaimaposted January 28, 2015 at 3:50 am

Oh My! bookmarked!
    I think I am gonna do it this weekend. Your photos make me mouth watering, hahaha

Bernice Sorianoposted February 2, 2015 at 7:04 am

Hi there! Is it possible to refrigerate the cream cheese filling and the glaze overnight? Not on the dough, but separately. My LPG gas tank was apparently already empty when I made the cream cheese filling and glaze, so I was wondering if it is possible to refrigerate these (the dough I already put in the freezer to give me more time to refill my tank) so I could use them the next day, or 2 days from now (since apparently the tank might get replaced tomorrow late afternoon or morning of the day after tomorrow). Thank you :)

• Sallyreplied on February 2nd, 2015 at 9:53 am

Refrigerating them separately– absolutely that works!

Kristinaposted February 8, 2015 at 9:02 am

I am going to try this. I am newly sensitive/allergic to almonds and I know I’ll miss that crunch on top of the danish. Any thoughts on what I could put on there for a crunch?

Wanda Parkerposted March 4, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I was wondering if this could be completely made with the filling and all and then placed in the freezer and baked later….thanks…I am sooo excited about learning to make this dough…I have tried to work with yeast before….but with no luck…thanks

• Sallyreplied on March 5th, 2015 at 6:55 am

Wanda, I fear the dough may get a little soggy as it freezes. How about just freezing the dough after step 5 in the dough recipe? And then preparing the filling when you are ready to bake. Thaw the dough overnight in the refrigerator.

Selenaposted March 18, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Hi Sally. I made the raspberry braid and it was a huge hit! I’m going to make this one but I was wondering if I need to use the lemon juice because I don’t want it to taste different.

Selenaposted March 18, 2015 at 6:38 pm

This is another silly question but how would you make an apple one?

Selenaposted March 18, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Sorry for commenting so much but i wanted to know how would you make a cream cheese raspberry danish?

Mollyposted April 5, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Sally, I made this and added cherry pie filling to the cream cheese filling for Easter brunch. It’s a delicious recipe, everyone loved it, and it will part of our holiday traditions in the future. It wasn’t too bad given your instruction. No more butter braids for us – we will be eating this!

Dannielleposted April 6, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Wonderful! Your pictures and the detailed steps made this so doable. Made it for Easter and they couldn’t stop talking about it!

Monicaposted September 3, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I tried to make the dough and followed the recipe. But when I went to combine my flour/butter mixture with the wet mixture, it turned out looking like soggy mashed potatoes. I can’t figure out what I did wrong. Can someone please help?

Liaposted September 22, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Made hand pies this weekend and used your cream cheese filling and sugar icing.  Went for almond extract as fruit was a combo of. Lot of tart cherries, a few marionberries and a few huckleberries.  Yummy if I do say so myself.  Next project is the Danish dough instead of pie crust.  Thanks for the inspiration.

• Sallyreplied on September 23rd, 2015 at 9:05 am

Your hand pies sound incredible, Lia. Let me know when you try the Danish pastry.

Angelaposted September 24, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Should I refrigerate this overnight if I plan to serve them tomorrow?