Sunshine Smoothie.

Creamy, fruity citrus smoothie made with orange, mango, banana, and not much else! Vitamin C has never tasted so good.

Sunshine Smoothie - wake up with this creamy, healthy smoothie from sallysbakingaddiction.com

It snowed again today, so I’m rebelling with the sunniest smoothie of them all.

Bright citrus flavors paired with creamy banana, sweet mango, and a splash of orange juice. This shockingly simple smoothie will make you feel like your dippin’ your toes in the sand listening to the ocean.

Um, is it summer yet?

Sunshine Smoothie - this creamy smoothie tastes like a tropical mango-pineapple version of an orange julius!

Kristen’s Bridal Shower

Yesterday we hosted my best friend Kristen’s bridal shower. Take a peek at some of the cute favors and desserts. (I was right- the red velvet brownies were the first to go and there wasn’t any leftover caramel corn.)

We held the shower in my apartment complex’s clubroom and filled it with hanging DIY tissue paper pom-poms, a mimosa bar, and enough food to feed double the amount of people. Whoops! We certainly enjoyed the leftovers (both food and champagne) later that night at her house. The bride sipped out of her bride wine glass – I want one of these! Great gift for brides if you’re searching.

It was such a fun weekend to celebrate the beautiful bride. Hi Kris!

Sunshine Smoothie - feeling lethargic and run down? You are 5 minutes away from feeling a lot better with this simple smoothie!

Needless to say, I wanted a little healthy pick-me-up this morning. This smoothie fit the bill. Made with only fruits and a splash of OJ, you won’t believe how simple it is. Feeling lethargic and run down? Well, you are 5 minutes away from feeling a lot better. Vitamin C has never tasted so damn good!

My little secret? The frozen banana makes the healthiest, purist, creamiest base for a super thick smoothie. In fact, I often eat a giant bowl of blended frozen “banana whip” (just 2 frozen bananas cut into chunks then blended with a touch of milk) and sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top. Mind-blowing good. Try it!

Without a doubt, frozen bananas are my secret weapon when it comes to creamy smoothies. And no one will be any the wiser! “Is there ice cream in this?” Kevin asked when he tried a sip of today’s smoothie. Ha!

Play around with the fruits you use. Frozen mango, a little frozen pineapple, and 2 oranges are what I like to use. Have a grapefruit on hand? Use 1 orange + 1 grapefruit instead. Or decrease the mango and increase the pineapple. Go fruit wild.

With all this gorgeous fruit and its thick, creamy texture = I’m in heaven with this new smoothie recipe. You could even try adding 1 cup of leafy green like spinach or kale to get a serving of veggies in. The color may not be appetizing, but I can guarantee you won’t be able to taste the greens.

This creamy smoothie tastes like a tropical mango-pineapple version of an orange julius. Ever have one of those? I can never resist them when I go to the mall. They tempt me as much as the scent of Cinnabon and the pretzels at display at Auntie Anne’s. Yup, I have zero self control when it comes to mall treats. And a new pair of shoes. ;)

So go ahead, put your feet up and dream of warm sunny days with a citrus bursting smoothie in hand. Makes the gloomy rain and snow outside seem much more tolerable!

Colorful straws are from Sweets and Treats Boutique.

PrintPrint SaveSave

Sunshine Smoothie

Yield: serves 2

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 frozen ripe banana, previously peeled & sliced
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 2 oranges, peeled and sliced*
  • 1 cup frozen mango chunks*
  • 1/2 cup frozen or fresh pineapple chunks

Directions:

Blend the frozen banana chunks and orange juice together until thick, creamy, and smooth - about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed. Add the oranges, mango, and pineapple. Blend until combined.

*Instead of two oranges, try 1 orange and 1 grapefruit.

*I prefer frozen mango chunks over fresh because they lend a creamier texture to the smoothie.

*Try adding 1 cup of your favorite greens.

A few more healthy, pick-me-up recipes:

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie (23g protein)

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bakes

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana No Bake Cookies

Detox Smoothie

Detox Smoothie

Skinny Tropical Muffins

Skinny Tropical Muffins

Baked Apple Chips

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

Mango Guacamole

Simple Mango Guacamole - try this tangy, sweet, and spicy guacamole the next time you're craving the creamy dip. Perfect accompaniment to your favorite tortilla chips!

See more drink recipes.

71 Responses to “Sunshine Smoothie.”

Kellyposted March 30, 2014 at 9:48 pm

WOW…I would never have thought of freezing bananas. You are brilliant! I can’t wait to make a smoothie this week….with a frozen banana!

Rossi @ A Baking Girlposted March 30, 2014 at 10:01 pm

This is exactly what I need right now after such a long long winter. It looks like a blended orange creamsicle- so in other words, delicious!

Emposted March 30, 2014 at 10:50 pm

It’s times like these when I wish I had a blender and a freezer big enough to store fruits and veggies for smoothies! My tiny little dorm room can’t handle it. My favorite thing to add to smoothies is kale! Especially if it’s loaded with sweeter fruits. Yum!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 8:29 am

Yes! I remember all too well what it’s like to have little fridge space in college. I didn’t even have a fridge for one year! Kale is great in sweet smoothies, you’re right.

• Ladyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 11:10 am

@ Em, kale in smoothies rock! I like to also add spinach to my smoothies. My 9 year daughter and her dad, (my fiance’) love it.

@ Sally, I stumbled upon your comments on another blogger’s site and see that your family is from Michigan; that’s where I’m from, too. I’ve been bummed out about this harsh winter that we’ve had up here. I moved to North Carolina at the end 2010, back to Michigan at the end of 2012, and am planning on moving again for good. Can’t take the cold and harsh winters anymore. This smoothie sounds so good right about now. Makes me think of summer.

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Yes! My entire family is from Michigan. I’m the only one born elsewhere. We always visited in the summer when I was younger, but I often hear how bad they have winters up there!

Sarah@WholeAndHeavenlyOvenposted March 30, 2014 at 11:38 pm

What a bright and gorgeous smoothie! Love all the citrus-y flavors in this smoothie. Perfect for spring! Gorgeous photos (and of course I’m in love with those straws) ;) pinned.

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 8:27 am

I think the colorful straws are why I love making smoothies so much :)

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingposted March 31, 2014 at 1:21 am

Sally, that’s such fabulous news about the bridal shower yesterday!! I’m SO happy for you and your sweet friends that everyone had a lovely time. With how many tempting treats you baked, I’m not surprised you didn’t have leftovers of most of them!

I’m totally in love with your smoothie right now. I’ve been sick for almost a week, and all that Vitamin C would definitely help me out! It’s been cloudy and rainy for about as long too, so a little sunshine in my kitchen sounds like the perfect-pick-me-up too. :) Pinned, lovely lady!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 8:25 am

Oh Amy! Hope you feel better soon. At least you’ve been a little sick when he weather is cruddy. I hate being stuck inside, feeling awful, when it’s warm and sunny out. Feel better friend!

• Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Thank you so much Sally! I’m of the same mindset: I don’t mind being sick (too much) as long as I’m not missing the beautiful weather!

Yingstarposted March 31, 2014 at 1:36 am

this is the just the smoothie recipe i’ve been looking for, it’s perfect! and it’s also such a refreshing way to start the day with!

Liz S.posted March 31, 2014 at 4:24 am

Snowed here too over the weekend :( This smoothie is the PERFECT rebellion against this ridiculous winter. Love it!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 8:24 am

Haha! Exactly. I love snow so much, but not when it’s been snowing for nearly 5 months straight!

Lisa @ Simple Pairingsposted March 31, 2014 at 8:18 am

Lovely, Sally! Happiness and sunshine in a glass! I’m craving the warmth of spring (even though we still had snow yesterday!) and this drink looks perfect for the upcoming season. :)

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 8:23 am

Yup, snow here yesterday too. We can’t escape it! Hopefully that was the last for us both.

ashley - baker by natureposted March 31, 2014 at 8:23 am

So fresh and vibrant, Sally! LOVE. It is raining here and this smoothie would be the perfect way to rebel myself ;) xoxo

Cate @ Chez CateyLouposted March 31, 2014 at 9:12 am

This smoothie is just the burst of color I need on this snowy and grey morning! It looks so refreshing and healthy! I actually made a very similar one this weekend because mangos were on sale at Whole Foods – I love mango in smoothies! The shower looks like it was so much fun!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 10:45 am

I gotta go to whole foods, Cate. I’ve been stalking mango sales because they are so pricey right now!

Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spiceposted March 31, 2014 at 9:29 am

That really is sunshine in a glass! Looks delicious and healthy! Love it!

Chelsea @chelseasmessyapronposted March 31, 2014 at 9:33 am

What a beautiful smoothie Sally! And definitely the perfect pick-me-up after your fun weekend. Love that Kevin thought there was ice cream in it – that’s when you know that’s a winner recipe! I can’t wait to try this one – and thanks for the tip of frozen mangoes in smoothies. :)

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 10:44 am

The frozen mangoes paired with the frozen bananas make it so creamy Chelsea. One could even call it dessert!

Beth @ bethcakesposted March 31, 2014 at 10:17 am

This is a gorgeous smoothie! Love that color, definitely the perfect thing to hold me over until summer arrives! I don’t make smoothies very often because I have a really awful blender, but I’m planning on getting a new one soon and I’m adding this to my smoothies-to-make list! :)

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 10:43 am

Once you get that new blender – this has to be the first thing you try Beth!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 10:43 am

PS: let me know if you need any blender recommendations!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugarposted March 31, 2014 at 10:25 am

This smoothie is just calling summer to come out. It’s still freezing here, and this is just what I need!

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blogposted March 31, 2014 at 10:48 am

Love this – isn’t it amazing how much texture and creaminess a frozen banana can add? Same with avocados! They make a smoothie so much thicker. I wonder what would happen if I add some spinach to this mix…too bold?

I am going to give a try!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I’m definitely going to try adding an avocado to my next batch, Jamie. Thank you!

whatjessicabakednextposted March 31, 2014 at 11:16 am

This looks fab, Sally! I love the sunshine aspect, so colourful and fresh! Definitely craving of these right now! :)

Janellposted March 31, 2014 at 11:33 am

Yummy smoothie!

Can I ask where you get your straws?
    They’re so cute!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Hey Janell! I actually mention that right above the recipe in the post.

Erinposted March 31, 2014 at 11:42 am

This looks so yummy! And it is rightfully named–it is sunshine in a glass! Beautiful! I’m glad you had such a fun shower! You’re next! :)

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I know. I can’t believe it’s so soon! Thanks Erin :)

Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugarposted March 31, 2014 at 11:59 am

Your smoothies always look so amazing! I just love using frozen bananas as a base – yum! And I can’t believe it’s still snowing – where is the warm weather?!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 1:10 pm

EXACTLY. Though today is 60 degrees; I’m not complaining about that!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholicposted March 31, 2014 at 12:25 pm

This sounds absolutely perfect! So sunshine-y, indeed. And I happen to have all the ingredients in my freezer so I think I’ll be whipping this up later.

Vedika @ Hot Chocolate Hitsposted March 31, 2014 at 12:27 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to make it. I bet raspberries would go great in there as well!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Yes! I’ll have to add them to my next smoothie. Great idea Vedika.

Mary Francesposted March 31, 2014 at 1:01 pm

We’ve had a rash of sore throats around our house and we have been inhaling OJ like it is going out of style! I love frozen bananas and mango, so this is perfect!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 1:08 pm

FEEL BETTER!! xo

Deeposted March 31, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Hi, Sally. I am definitely making this smoothie. My kids love mango! I have to tell you I read through your entire book last night and I want to try every recipe! Usually I tag just a few recipes, but not with your book!! It’s fabulous!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Thank you Dee – that means so much to me! Please let me know any recipes you try. I love hearing about it!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventuresposted March 31, 2014 at 1:23 pm

These scream spring to me! The next time I make a smoothy, I’m adding a frozen banana.

Natalie Munroeposted March 31, 2014 at 3:54 pm

The timing of today’s recipe must be kismet. I’m exhausted today–horrible night’s sleep last night–and was dragging. Plus, I happened to have some bananas in my freezer and a mango getting overripe on the counter. I saw the recipe and thought, “YES!” and whipped it right up and shared some with my 3-year-old who has another cold (endless winter…) and we’re back in business!

Using the frozen banana was so much better than using ice. Thanks for that tip. (I usually use ice and room-temp bananas, and then there’s annoying chunks of ice in my smoothie and that is unpleasant.)

Also, not that this particular smoothie needed any added sweetener, but sometimes to get another level of the creamy vanilla-dreaminess of the Orange Julius flavor (which I, too, cannot resist!) I add a little bit of instant vanilla pudding mix–the dry powered stuff–to my smoothies. It’s soooo tasty. Give it a whirl sometime. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Oh Natalie, I love your idea of adding dry vanilla pudding mix to the smoothie – makes it much more indulgent tasting I bet! Great idea. I’m trying it!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweetposted March 31, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Looks like we both had a sunny smoothie on our minds! :) Love that you used mango and pineapple in yours, Sally! Pinned!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Too funny. Yours look amazing Anna. I just made another one. Can’t get enough!

Joposted March 31, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Firstly, that smoothie looks awesome, I will be trying this for sure. Quick question, how do you freeze your bananas?

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Jo! And it’s so easy. Peel the ripe bananas, cut them into chunks, and freeze in a large ziplock bag.

Meg @ The Housewife In Training Filesposted March 31, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I just bought Mangos on sale at Sprouts….so we must have secretly known that each would help each other out! I am so with you on boycotting winter. This smoothie will bring spring along. I can feel it!

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I can feel it too Meg!

Luv What You Doposted March 31, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Hooray for sunshine AND smoothies!

Biancaposted April 1, 2014 at 12:32 am

This drink has “spring” (or dare I say “summer”?) written all over it! I’ve recently been obsessed with citrus, so this would be perfect. :) And would I be right to think that the pineapple could easily be left out without changing the smoothie too much? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:19 am

Hey Bianca! Yep, you can leave out the pineapple. Replace with more banana/orange/mango – whatever you like.

Iosune | Minimal Eatsposted April 1, 2014 at 6:58 am

This smoothie looks like summer!!! I love it! You’ve used my favorite fruits!! Thanks a lot for the recipe Sally :)

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:13 am

Hope you enjoy, Iosune!

Melanie @ Carmel Momentsposted April 1, 2014 at 8:39 am

Mmm….Looks so refreshing and good.
    Have a great day, Sally!

Elizabeth S.posted April 1, 2014 at 9:09 am

Just found your blog and I am SO EXCITED to try some of the recipes. I don’t know who is going to eat all the baked goods, though…maybe my Bible study members would like to serve as guinea pigs!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hey Elizabeth! That’s my favorite part about baking – sharing the goodies with others. Hope they all love what you bake from my blog. Let me know which recipes you try!

Ashley | Our Full Tableposted April 1, 2014 at 11:20 am

This looks so yummy! Perfect smoothie for the summer! I’m gonna have to try thay banana whip! That sounds delish1

Anna v.R.posted April 1, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Please create more smoothie recipes, this one looks so good.
    BTW I love your cookie recipes, all my friends are addicted :D
    Best regards from Germany.

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for sharing my cookies with others, Anna! And I have some more smoothie recipe ideas coming!

Serene@HouseofYummposted April 1, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I am in love with this smoothie! And also with the idea of the whipped frozen banana with chocolate chips??! WHAAT!?! Sounds so good :) Thanks for that little share inside this post too.

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:44 pm

You’re welcome Serene – frozen banana whipped/chocolate chips is seriously so good. Try it!

Luciaposted April 1, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Oh my gosh, these photos are so gorgeous and summery. I wish it was summer so much!
    Lucia’s Loves
    x

Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted April 1, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Oh man do I need some vitamin c in my life, especially in this smoothie! I am on the smoothie bandwagon, and I love how bright and spring-y this one is. :D

Christineposted April 2, 2014 at 8:28 am

This looks soooooo refreshing! I didn’t even know Orange Julius was around until I saw it out in Hawaii a few weeks ago. They are somehow connected to Dairy Queen? Anyways…yours looks super yum!

A coworker was telling me she puts a tablespoon of pudding mix in her smoothies…can’t get that idea out of my head. She uses almond milk so the pudding doesn’t set up but it sure sounds like a good flavor add….

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Christine, I just heard that same thing about pudding mix. I have to try it! If you give it a try, let me know!

Jennie @themessybakerblogposted April 2, 2014 at 8:30 am

This is one gorgeous smoothie. The color alone makes me want to reach through the screen and grab a glass. Love all the flavors!

Kaylaposted May 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I’ve used frozen bananas before, but never with this! I’m definitely making this tomorrow :)

Oh and quick question…how do you control yourself? If I was baking with regular sugar and butter and flour five times a week I would be ridiculously obese (hence why my baking is paleo). How do you do it?!

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41 am

When it’s your full time job and you have to fit into a wedding dress, you have no other choice than to control yourself! I also love to run as much as I love to bake. Thanks Kayla!