Sunshine Smoothie.

Creamy, fruity citrus smoothie made with orange, mango, banana, and not much else! Vitamin C has never tasted so good.

Sunshine Smoothie - wake up with this creamy, healthy smoothie from sallysbakingaddiction.com

It snowed again today, so I’m rebelling with the sunniest smoothie of them all. Bright citrus flavors paired with creamy banana, sweet mango, and a splash of orange juice. This shockingly simple smoothie will make you feel like your dippin’ your toes in the sand listening to the ocean.

Um, is it summer yet?

Sunshine Smoothie - this creamy smoothie tastes like a tropical mango-pineapple version of an orange julius!

Yesterday we hosted my friend Kristen’s bridal shower. Take a peek at some of the cute favors and desserts. (I was right- the red velvet brownies were the first to go and there wasn’t any leftover caramel corn.)

We held the shower in my apartment complex’s clubroom and filled it with hanging DIY tissue paper pom-poms, a mimosa bar, and enough food to feed double the amount of people. Whoops! The bride sipped out of her bride wine glass – I want one of these! Great gift for brides if you’re searching.

It was such a fun weekend to celebrate the beautiful bride. Hi Kris!

Sunshine Smoothie - feeling lethargic and run down? You are 5 minutes away from feeling a lot better with this simple smoothie!

Needless to say, I wanted a little healthy pick-me-up this morning. This smoothie fit the bill. Made with only fruits and a splash of OJ, you won’t believe how simple it is. Feeling lethargic and run down? Well, you are 5 minutes away from feeling a lot better. Vitamin C has never tasted so damn good!

My little secret? The frozen banana makes the healthiest, purist, creamiest base for a super thick smoothie. In fact, I often eat a giant bowl of blended frozen “banana whip” (just 2 frozen bananas cut into chunks then blended with a touch of milk) and sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top. Mind-blowing good. Try it!

Without a doubt, frozen bananas are my secret weapon when it comes to creamy smoothies. And no one will be any the wiser! “Is there ice cream in this?” Kevin asked when he tried a sip of today’s smoothie. Ha!

Play around with the fruits you use. Frozen mango, a little frozen pineapple, and 2 oranges are what I like to use. Have a grapefruit on hand? Use 1 orange + 1 grapefruit instead. Or decrease the mango and increase the pineapple. Go fruit wild.

This creamy smoothie tastes like a tropical mango-pineapple version of an orange julius. Enough said! So go ahead, put your feet up and dream of warm sunny days with a citrus bursting smoothie in hand. Makes the gloomy rain and snow outside seem much more tolerable!

Colorful straws are from Sweets and Treats Boutique.

Sunshine Smoothie

Yield: serves 2

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 frozen ripe banana, previously peeled & sliced
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 2 oranges, peeled and sliced1
  • 1 cup frozen mango chunks2
  • 1/2 cup frozen or fresh pineapple chunks

Directions:

1. Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender that will blend up the frozen banana and apple. I like this Ninja or this Vitamix.
  2. Blend the frozen banana chunks and orange juice together until thick, creamy, and smooth - about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed. Add the oranges, mango, and pineapple. Blend until combined.

1. Instead of two oranges, try 1 orange and 1 grapefruit.
  2. I prefer frozen mango chunks over fresh because they lend a creamier texture to the smoothie.

For an added nutritional punch, try adding 1 cup of your favorite greens!

A few more healthy, pick-me-up recipes:

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie (23g protein!)

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie

Skinny Tropical Muffins

Skinny Tropical Muffins

Baked Apple Chips

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

See more drink recipes like my beloved raspberry mango smoothie, this completely awesome tropi-kale energy smoothie, and this it-really-tastes-like-pie pumpkin pie protein smoothie!

This post contains affiliate links.

Sunshine Smoothie-- this bright, cheery, healthy smoothie is full of vitamin C and will energize you to tackle the new day. I love it!
This post contains affiliate links.

81 Responses to “Sunshine Smoothie.”

Kaylaposted May 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I’ve used frozen bananas before, but never with this! I’m definitely making this tomorrow 🙂

Oh and quick question…how do you control yourself? If I was baking with regular sugar and butter and flour five times a week I would be ridiculously obese (hence why my baking is paleo). How do you do it?!

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41 am

When it’s your full time job and you have to fit into a wedding dress, you have no other choice than to control yourself! I also love to run as much as I love to bake. Thanks Kayla!

Alice Bposted September 11, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Sally, I have been completely loving your blog since I stumbled across it 3 years ago. I have to say though this smoothie (my first) was so absolutely delicious I had to let you know (another first). The whipped banana is brilliant and the fresh tropical taste is out of this world! I can’t wait to try my next smoothie.
    Thank you so much for sharing your life and love of fun, beautiful and delicious food! Enjoy every moment leading up to your wedding and best of luck to both of you!

• Sallyreplied on September 11th, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Alice, thank you for the incredibly sweet comment! It is so nice to hear that you’ve been reading my blog for so long. Means the world to me, you have no idea. Let me know any more recipes you try! I swear by banana whip.

Christinaposted January 6, 2015 at 12:58 pm

So it’s been a while since you posted this, but I could use a blender recommendation! (As long as you’re not going to say Vitamix – I don’t have that kind of money to spend on a blender!)

Also, can you taste the texture of the pith of the orange?

I love banana whip, as you call it – I have about 6 bananas in the freezer, originally waiting to be made into banana bread, but I think I’ll make smoothies instead!

Do you have any suggestions for making smoothies ahead of time? I am up and out of the house by 5:30am and I don’t think my roommate or my fiance would appreciate a blender running that early! Can I make it, stick it back in the freezer, and let it thaw / stir it before drinking?

Thanks!!!

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Hi Christina! (1) Blender recs: I have a Vitamix, but I also have this Ninja and I love it. (2) If you have a strong blender, you do not taste any orange pulp or pith. (3) You can definitely make the smoothie the night before, freeze, then thaw before drinking. Or just stick in the refrigerator and add some ice cubes the next morning to drink.

Annie @ Annie's Nomsposted January 19, 2015 at 1:48 pm

(Was going to email you, but your contact page said you reply to comments better!)

I’m doing an inlinkz round-up of some of my favourite fruit smoothies and was just wondering if I can add your Sunshine Smoothie to my round up – I absolutely love this smoothie, it’s like heaven on these dull UK mornings!

Thanks so much,

Annie

• Sallyreplied on January 19th, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Absolutely Annie! And yes, I’m much quicker with comments. I’m slower than a snail with my email sometimes. Bad habit.

• Annie @ Annie's Nomsreplied on January 20th, 2015 at 3:00 am

Thanks so much! Haha, I’m the same, I read and forget – I keep telling myself I must get better, but it doesn’t happen!

Mariaposted February 13, 2015 at 9:52 am

Ok, it’s almost a year later on your post but I just have to say thank you for your creativity! You have entertained my family with deliciousness for a while 🙂 this smoothie kick I’ve been on is all your fault! I love it! It’s 6 degrees here in Cleveland today so me and my 2 year old are sippin on some sunshine! Thanks again!

• Sallyreplied on February 13th, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Stay warm Maria!

Lisaposted March 1, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Amazing smoothie, tastes like something from Jamba Juice…love it!