Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones.

Looking for that perfect, moist, and fruity scone recipe? This is it!

Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones - perfectly moist, soft interior, flaky crust, with tons of lemon and strawberry flavor!

What did you do this weekend? In between a little early birthday shopping, I baked more this past weekend than I have in a long, long time. I had two scone recipe fails on Saturday morning and instantly felt the need to add a little vodka to my orange juice. Can you blame me? I felt like such a failure! But it’s only through our mistakes that we can learn, right?

I attempted the scones for the 3rd time and the stars aligned. I bit into a perfectly moist, soft, sweet, slightly crisp exterior with a smile beaming ear to ear. These scones, my friends, are absolute perfection.

I have never been a fan of scones until I tried a few at the Panera Bread test kitchen event last month. I have always found scones to be a little too dry, sometimes bland, and way too crunchy for my taste. Are you the same way? Boy, was I quickly proven wrong! If done right, scones can melt in your mouth. Soft interiors, crisp edges, flaky, buttery, and tender.

I am now a scone enthusiast. Excuse me while I go bite into my third scone of the weekend. (That’s what my 6am runs are for.)

I worked on a few different scone recipes this weekend and I’m thrilled to share this one with you. It was my personal favorite out of the bunch; lemon baked goods are my weakness. They’re like a lemon poppy seed muffin, only kicked up a notch. Filled with juicy strawberries in every single bite. Before you begin, there are a couple scone MUSTS that you need to know.

First, in my mess of a kitchen Saturday morning, I learned that I much prefer a scone made with frozen butter compared to just cold butter. Why? It’s imperative to use cold butter in this scone recipe because when the little crumbs of butter melt as the scone bakes, they release steam and create little pockets of air – this makes the scones a little airy on the inside while remaining flaky and crisp on the outside. Cold butter isn’t good enough, it must be frozen. Simply place a stick of butter in the freezer for 30 minutes ahead of time.

You can shred the frozen butter with a grater or process a couple times in your food processor. I use 8 Tablespoons (1 stick; 115 grams) in my scone recipe. No more, no less.

Frozen Butter for Scones |

Work the frozen butter shreds into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; I used a pastry blender to do this. You may also use your hands or two knives.

Another important step to note? Don’t over mix the dough! After you the flour/butter mixture resembles coarse crumbs (pictured below, left) – then it is time to add your wet ingredients: egg, heavy cream, vanilla, strawberries. The cream adds SO much moisture. Don’t think about substituting it! Gently add these ingredients in and mix very gently together. When you overmix a dough it will over develop the gluten making it tough.

So the trick to a plate of light-textured scones? Avoid over working the dough.

By the way, don’t get nervous if some strawberry juice gets worked into the dough as you incorporate them. The juice will simply add color and flavor to your scones.

Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones |

Pat the dough down into an 8-inch circle on your baking sheet and cut into 8 triangles.

My tip? Use the sharpest knife you own! The scone dough is quite moist and will likely stick a bit to your knife. That’s OK. Before baking, I sprinkled with a little coarse sugar. I love the crunch it adds.

The sweet lemon glaze is optional, but highly recommended – especially if you’re a lemon lover like I am. It’s a simple combination of lemon juice, confectioners’ sugar, and cream. I went light on the glaze because I didn’t want the flavorful scone to get lost under it. Instead of the glaze, try a simple dollop of whipped cream.

These tender, fruity scones are best when they are still a bit warm from the oven. You know, when the strawberries are still firm and that sugary topping is still crunchy. When warm, the glaze melts into every crevice and seeps into the interior.

Seriously, look how tasty.

A cross between a buttery scone, a soft poppy seed muffin, and a refreshing glass of strawberry lemonade. Does it truly get any better?

Try these scones; you won’t be disappointed!

Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones

Yield: 8 scones

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Looking for that perfect, moist, and fruity scone recipe? This is it! The heavy cream adds so much moisture. Don't think about substituting it!

• 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 6 Tablespoons (80g) granulated sugar
  • 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
  • zest of 1 large lemon
  • 8 Tablespoons (115g) unsalted butter, frozen
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (150g) chopped fresh or frozen strawberries (do not thaw if using frozen)
  • optional: coarse sugar (I used Sugar In The Raw)

Lemon Glaze

• Juice of 1 large lemon
  • 1 cup (120g) confectioners' sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon (15ml) half-and-half (or heavy cream or milk)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds. Add the lemon zest and whisk together again. Grate the frozen butter (I used a box grater; a food processor also works - here is the one I own and love). Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, your fingers, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal (as pictured above). Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the strawberries. Try your best to not overwork the dough at any point. Do not worry if the dough begins to turn a little pink from the strawberries- that's expected depending how juicy yours are. Dough will be wet. Work the dough into a ball as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Top with a sprinkle of coarse sugar, if using.
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. While the scones are cooling, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over warm scones.
  5. Scones are best enjoyed right away, though unglazed leftover scones keep well at room temperature for 2 extra days. Scones freeze well, up to 3 months.
  6. Make ahead tip: Scones are best enjoyed right away, though leftover scones keep well at room temperature for 2 extra days. Scones freeze well, up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up to your liking before enjoying.

I adapted this recipe from a combination - both Tyler Florence and The Joy of Cooking.

How about some Orange Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins next?

Orange Lemon Poppyseed Muffins by

Or a batch of Blueberry Sweet Rolls with Lemon Glaze

Blueberry Sweet Rolls with Lemon Glaze

See more breakfast recipe ideas.

If you're looking for the perfect scone, this is it! We LOVE this recipe for Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones!

128 Responses to “Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones.”

Jenn@eatcakefordinnerposted May 19, 2014 at 7:29 pm

This might just be the recipe to convert me to a scone lover!! They look fabulous.

Sharonposted May 19, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I absolutely agree about scones! They’re way too dry and tasteless! But with your recipe I’m sure it will taste better than Panera!

• Sallyreplied on May 20th, 2014 at 11:14 am

Thanks Sharon! Hope you give these a try!

Raquelposted May 19, 2014 at 9:29 pm

This recipe sounds amazing and I love the emphasis on moist. Whenever I hear the word scone, I tend to think of dry and a mess of crumbs. Thank you for revamping them for the better.

Julie @ This Gal Cooksposted May 19, 2014 at 10:39 pm

These scones are so bright and pretty and they look crazy good! These scones don’t look dry at all. WIN!

Shineeposted May 19, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Lovely scones, Sally! I love lemons, almost used up my 35lbs of lemons last couple of weeks. I have a few left, will try these scones. :)

Nicolaposted May 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm

As a scone (it rhymes with bone, not gone) maker for at least 35 years, and being resident in Devon – UK capital of cream teas – I can advise you that the way to avoid dry scones is to pile clotted cream on top until it looks like Mount Everest. Trust me. 😉

Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted May 20, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Third time is definitely the charm then! These scones are gorgeous and I am always up for the strawberry lemon flavor combo. What a perfect snack to enjoy with tea of just after lunch! 😀

Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted May 20, 2014 at 10:39 pm

These are the prettiest scones, love the glaze!

Leigh Suznovichposted May 21, 2014 at 12:47 am

I love a fruit filled scones, and strawberries are finally back in season!

Anna (Hidden Ponies)posted May 22, 2014 at 1:01 am

I loooove scones and am always looking for new versions to try – definitely including these beauties!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingposted May 22, 2014 at 7:53 pm

My favorite muffin flavor turned into scones? Plus strawberries and glaze? YUM! I got really lucky the first time I tried a scone. My dad and I were on a baseball trip in Seattle, and the hotel served us cranberry orange scones as a side for our breakfast. One of the moistest ones I’ve ever had! So I’m right there with you, and I refuse to eat dry, crumbly ones. The airier the insides, the better!

Cheriposted May 23, 2014 at 4:30 am

Makin these now- my butter got a little warm, so popped the grated butter back in the freezer.

Lauraposted June 1, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Hi Sally!
    I was thinking about trying a mixed berry and white chocolate chip version of these… Would I be able to replace the strawberries with white chocolate and frozen mixed berries?
    Thank you so much! These look incredible, I love your blog!

• Sallyreplied on June 1st, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Definitely! That combo sounds delicious. You may leave out the poppy seeds and lemon if you wish.

Kaitlynposted June 5, 2014 at 10:37 am

Just pulled these out of the oven and they look and smell amazing! I cannot wait for them to cool, so I can dig right in! I’m trying to test fun (make or prepare ahead) breakfast recipes so that I can treat my bridesmaids to a pre-wedding brunch next summer! I think I will need a lot of time to prepare so I can try out as many yummy recipes as possible… That sounds like a legitimate excuse right? Thank you for the addition to their menu!

Kaitlynposted June 5, 2014 at 10:41 am

Should have waited until I tried them to comment! They are amazing and it is totally worth a second comment to compliment you on their wonderfulness! Do you ever bake with rhubarb? A strawberry rhubarb sauce over these would be absolutely amazing. Hmm… Just another thing I will have to “test” out.

• Sallyreplied on June 5th, 2014 at 11:18 am

If I liked rhubarb, I would definitely add it to my recipes. Let me know if you try that sauce! So happy you enjoy my scones. Thanks Kaitlyn!

Simoneposted June 5, 2014 at 6:06 pm

“don’t substitute the cream”, you say? I made these with a mixture of greek yogurt and milk up to the 1/2 cup mark and they turned out beautifully! last minute while mixing the dough I added another splash of milk, because the dough wasn’t nearly as wet as I thought was necessary. it all turned out wonderfully. next time, I might skip the glaze (a little too sweet for me) and instead try to up the lemon factor in the scones themselves. they are so, so good though!

• Sallyreplied on June 5th, 2014 at 6:14 pm

So glad you enjoy them without cream! I didn’t care for their texture with yogurt. Thanks for reporting back!

Dianeposted June 8, 2014 at 5:51 pm

OMG!! It it totally Karma that I came across this site (while looking for 50th wedding anniv ideas) and found chocolate chip scones. YUM!!! I just saw a long lost friend from a job years ago and we were talking about the yummy food from a cart outside the hospital.Not only did he have good “real” food but he had THE BEST choc chip and lemon poppy seed scones I have ever tasted. Huge, Rich, soft – even hours later and cold! I can’t wait to try these and share them with my kids. Not sure if they will like the strawberry ones, but I will definitely try that too! And I can’t wait to explore the rest of your recipes. THANK YOU!

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Let me know how you (and the kids!) like these. Thanks Diane!

Ashley | Our Full Tableposted June 14, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I love your scone technique these look so yummy!

PseudoSheaposted June 19, 2014 at 6:07 pm

No kidding about the most moist scones ever… made these today and they tasted more like cake than scones. I really enjoyed this recipe, and although it’s definitely not light on calories, I’ll be making them again. I found that I could have added more than 1 cup of strawberries and still been fine. I would also like to try substituting (despite the warning) milk instead of heavy cream since milk is more commonly on hand.

Christineposted July 11, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Since I once left a comment begging for a scone recipe, I felt I should report back! I made these as a treat for 4th of July weekend and they are fabulous. I didn’t have heavy cream so found some notes online about combining butter with half and half to make heavy cream. Not sure if that is what I made but whatever I did worked and they turned out terrific!

I am swimming in cherries this weekend and wondering if another splurge this weekend would be okay on the waistline? lol Cherries and chocolate chips…mmmmmm…

• Sallyreplied on July 11th, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Mmmm cherry and chocolate chip scones sound so good Christine! So worth it. :)

Hayleyposted July 23, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Would these still bake up well and taste good without the lemon in the scones or glaze? My dad is allergic to lemon.

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2014 at 4:50 pm

You may definitely leave out the lemon.

Aliciaposted August 30, 2014 at 11:10 am

I LOVE this scone recipe! I have been making them almost every weekend. They are so moist and bursting with flavor. My only question is, do you separate the scones after you cut them before you bake them in the pan? My FAVORITE scone recipe ever!!! Thanks for the gorgeous recipe!

Rebeccaposted February 5, 2015 at 8:09 am

I tried to bake this these morning, but it did not turn out well. Granted, I made two alterations. I substituted honey for the sugar and I lowered the temperature to 375 degrees F, and I also put in an extra one third cup of milk into the batte because I thought it was too dry. (Bad Idea) After only 13 minutes of being in the oven, the outisde was already cooked and browned, but the inside was still completely and mushy dough. It was soaked in the inside. Do you know why this happened, or what I could do? I don’t understand why it cooked this way because the temperature was anything but tol high. I had the rack in the right place too.

• Sallyreplied on February 5th, 2015 at 8:51 am

There was too much liquid in the batter from the honey and all the extra milk you added. I suggest following the recipe as written first and then making small tweaks to fit your needs.

• Rebeccareplied on February 5th, 2015 at 11:56 am

Thank you for the quick answer, but I commented a bit too soon. I turned off the oven and stuck it back in for about 20 minutes. The inside completely finished cooking and the top didn’t burn. The excess liquid problem disappeared when it finished, and the scones came out nicely. I’m just concerned as to why the top was beginning to brown, but it wasn’t anywhere near done. Maybe I’ll cover it in foil next time at half to three-fourths through the cooking. Thanks so much for the advice.

Ashleyposted March 12, 2015 at 9:41 am

Hi Sally!

So this is my first scone recipe I’ve made, so I don’t have much comparison to go off of. But I was just curious as to what type of texture scone I should be looking for with these. I feel like mine turned out almost more muffin-like in texture. I did use use half and half (instead of heavy cream) and my butter was grated more cold, not completely frozen. I tried not to overwork the batter, but I know that gets tricky… I guess I am used to more crumbly, dense scones, than soft and thick, if that makes sense? Let me know if I am still on the right track, or if I have other adjustments to make.

Thanks much!

• Sallyreplied on March 12th, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Ashley, you may need to bake the scones a little longer to get a more crumbly, dense texture. An easy fix… just keep in the oven longer. Also, after around 20 minutes of bake time, you can carefully separate the scones using a knife. Then, return to the oven to continue to bake until done. This will help the edges crisp up too.

• Ashleyreplied on March 12th, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Thanks so much! Can’t wait to try your other scone recipes 😀 The Triple Chocolate Scones Supreme is calling my name!! <3

Claudia Hposted March 30, 2015 at 9:54 pm

I love these scones! Can they be made into smaller scones?

Charposted April 4, 2015 at 12:06 am

Good recipe! I had to add a bit more heavy cream as it was too dry. However, I used orange extract, black pepper instead of poppy seeds with finely chopped strawberries and a nice cream cheese glaze. Was delish! I wowed my coworkers as they wouldn’t think about using black pepper. I have so many ideas for more scone flavours!

Stephanieposted April 9, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I made these this past weekend for Easter breakfast and they are AMAZING! I’m now dying to make tons of other flavor combos with this recipe. I’m in love with the grating butter method. I even stuck mine back in the freezer for a few minutes after it was grated to make sure it was still super cold when added to the dry ingredients. With the butter pieces being so small already you hardly have to do any work with your pastry blender! I’m thinking this method would be perfect for pie crust! Thanks for the amazing recipe!

Kimposted June 15, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Can this recipe be doubled or tripled or will it be more difficult to mix the dough without overmixing? Looks amazing, can’t wait to try it.

• Sallyreplied on June 16th, 2015 at 7:58 am

Kim, when making a big batch of scones– I usually make 2 or 3 batches instead of doubling or tripling the recipe.

Carleyposted June 27, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I’ve made this recipe twice and it has always been amazingly tasty!

My mum recently bought a huge Costco size bag of Sugar in the Raw.  Do you know if it’s fine to substitute it for granulated sugar?  Not just in this recipe, but in any recipe that calls for granulated sugar?  Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Not in any recipe because of its coarse texture. However, it would be OK in these scones. So happy you like them!

Tammyposted July 4, 2015 at 1:29 am

I compared this recipe to the blueberry scone recipe and (except for the poppyseed/lemon/strawberry of course) noticed that it differed in the amount of sugar for the dry ingredients.
    I’m just curious as to why this is since I wanted to make a batch of both the blueberry scones and these scones (minus the poppy and lemon).
    Could i just double this recipe and divide the mixture accordingly before adding the fruit?

• Sallyreplied on July 4th, 2015 at 8:38 am

Tammy, I use less sugar here because strawberries are sweeter than blueberries. You can double this recipe, yes!

Ashleyposted July 7, 2015 at 6:12 pm

These look amazing! Just wondered if they can be frozen?

Helenposted August 14, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Can’t wait to try making these but I have a question first. Since I usually make a recipe exactly according to the original directions, I wondered if you preferred using frozen strawberries, such as in the blueberry scone recipe, instead of fresh. I know frozen berries become mushy when defrosted so would the fresh ones be a little firmer?

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2015 at 8:21 am

I always prefer fresh strawberries in scones– makes the dough easier to work with!