Glazed Apple Crumb Muffins.

Big, buttery cinnamon apple muffins with a brown sugar crumb topping and sweet vanilla glaze. Better than a bakery, trust me!

Big, buttery cinnamon apple muffins with a brown sugar crumb topping and sweet vanilla glaze. Better than a bakery! @sallybakeblog

These giant, bakery-style apple crumb muffins aren’t really a summertime recipe, but oh well. Apple anything makes my heart skip a beat!

On top of the stunning, surreal sites we saw in the Rocky Mountains the other week – we ate some pretty darn incredible food too. For example, a “cookie dough delight” cookie sandwich so rich that it took two days to finish. (Seriously.)

Kevin and I also visited a couple little bakeries each morning for breakfast. The first day, a giant melt-in-your-mouth apple crumb muffin stared me in the eye. A sucker for anything apple flavored, I bought it intending to share with him. Somehow the muffin disappeared before he got a bite. ?? Whoopsies.

And here I am two weeks later… still thinking about that glazed apple crumb muffin! Yes, I’m a dork. I tried my hand at a few test batches this past weekend and after two bland disappointments, came out with a winner. Third time’s a charm!

Ohhhhh my lanta, these have to be the best muffins I’ve ever made.

I use the same basic muffin recipe as my Buttery Blueberry Streusel Muffins. I wanted a light textured, buttery muffin reminiscent of the bakery’s muffin I had in Colorado. My Master Muffin Mix is a little too hearty and dense for replicating the soft, fluffy muffin I craved. If you’ve tried the blueberry streusel muffins, you know today’s apple version will be mouthwatering. Plus, there’s glaze. (!!)

Eggs and yogurt leave each muffin fabulously moist. I call the two my “power ingredients” in this recipe. They are both crucial to the muffin’s texture! If you do not have yogurt on hand, sour cream is an easy substitute.

Buttery and soft, the center of the muffins are bursting with warm, juicy apples. Apples in every single bite. I sweeten the muffins with mostly all brown sugar. In my eyes, brown sugar is an essential flavor when baking with apples. There’s a whole lot of cinnamon too – both in the muffin batter and the crumb topping.

Let’s talk about that crumb topping. I can’t even type “crumb topping” without my stomach growling. It’s THEE best part about this muffin recipe! It’s made from melted butter, brown sugar, a touch of white sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Mix it all up and crumble with your hands over the muffin batter before baking. I made sure some crumbs stayed in larger chunks. Those were the best bites!

Glazed Apple Crumb Muffins

Helpful tip: after topping, make sure you press the crumbs down into the batter so it sticks when the muffins rise in the oven.

Another helpful tip: pick off and eat the crumb topping off the baked muffins first. :)

Bake these muffins at an initial high temperature, then reduce to a lower temperature. Why do I do this? This hot burst of air will lift the top of the muffin up quickly, then the inside of the muffin can bake for the remainder of the time. This guarantees a tall, high domed muffin like the kind you love from the coffee shop.

The glaze on top of these apple crumb muffins isn’t necessary, but a simple whisk of confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, and cream will take you about 30 seconds… so why not add it? You will love how the glaze “sets” on top and seeps down into the muffins.

Apple Crumb Muffins are bursting with apples in every single bite!

Go ahead, indulge. I promise you’ll still be dreaming about these brown sugared, cinnamon apple muffins weeks after one taste. I cannot sing enough praises for them; without a doubt a new favorite muffin recipe!

*I used a jumbo 6-count muffin pan to make today’s muffin recipe. That’s why they are so large in these photos – a standard 12-count size muffin pan works just fine as well. See recipe notes for baking time adjustments.

Glazed Apple Crumb Muffins

Yield: 6 jumbo muffins or 14 standard size

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

Big, buttery brown sugar apple muffins with a crumb topping and sweet vanilla glaze. Better than a bakery, trust me!

Crumb Topping

• 1/3 cup (67g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon (15g) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2/3 cup (84g) all-purpose flour

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature preferred
  • 1/2 cup (120g) yogurt1
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) milk (any kind)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups peeled, chopped apple (2 small apples)

• 1 cup (120g) confectioners' sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream (or milk for a less creamy texture)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Make the crumb topping: In a medium bowl, combine both sugars, the cinnamon, and melted butter. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the flour. The crumb topping will be thick and crumbly. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray a jumbo muffin pan with nonstick spray. See notes for using a standard size 12-count pan.
  3. Make the muffins: In a medium bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and beat on high until creamed, about 2 full minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute, then turn up to high speed until the mixture is combined and uniform in texture. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
  4. In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and slowly mix with a whisk. Add the milk, gently whisking until combined and little lumps remain. Fold in the apples with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
  5. Spoon the muffin batter evenly between all 6 muffin tins. There may be enough to make a 7th muffin in a 2nd batch, depending if there were a few extra apple chunks thrown in. Fill the muffin tins until they are full all the way up to the top. Press a handful of the crumb topping into the top of each; crumble it with your hands to make some big chunks.
  6. Bake for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C) degrees, then keeping the muffins in the oven, lower the oven temperature to 350°F (177°C) and bake for 21-23 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The total time these jumbo muffins take in the oven is about 26-28 minutes.
  7. Make the glaze: whisk all of the ingredients together and drizzle over warm muffins.
  8. Make ahead tip: Muffins stay soft, fresh, and moist at room temperature for up to 5 days. Muffins freeze well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up (if desired) before enjoying.

For 14-15 standard size muffins, reduce baking time to 20 total minutes: 5 initial minutes at 425°F (218°C) and 15 minutes at 350°F (177°C).

1. Use your favorite yogurt; I prefer low fat plain Greek yogurt but regular (not Greek) would be just fine. Try with apple flavored, vanilla, honey, nonfat, or full fat. Sour cream works as well.

For a blueberry version, try my Buttery Blueberry Streusel Muffins

Buttery Blueberry Streusel Muffins by

You’ll love these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins too!

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel

See more muffin recipes.

195 Responses to “Glazed Apple Crumb Muffins.”

Biancaposted November 30, 2014 at 10:20 am

My goodness, this was a seriously fantastic muffin…so tender! I used sour cream instead of yogurt and omitted the glaze. I managed to pack in two very large honeycrisp apples. The crumble is a beautiful thing :) Thank you for sharing, this is a keeper!

JUDY SMITHposted December 7, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Can these be made into a loaf? I would think so, but wanted to check.

• Sallyreplied on December 7th, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Definitely– but I am unsure of the bake time.

Miaposted December 11, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I brought these in to work today and I got TONS of compliments, many saying it was the best muffin they’ve ever had! Very moist and not overly sweet. Normally I avoid making crumble because it’s usually a hassle, but you made it so easy and delicious. Doesn’t need the glaze, it’s perfect without it.

Kim Sargentposted December 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm

OmG so good. My son said it was the best muffin he ever had. Yummy!

Ashlinnposted December 19, 2014 at 12:39 pm

So I have everything, but yogurt. I don’t want to have to go to the store. Any recommendations for the yogurt?

• Sallyreplied on December 19th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

You could combine the need for both yogurt and milk and use 3/4 cup of milk, but make it a thick milk like 2%, whole or even buttermilk.

Rochelleposted January 2, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Hi Sally!
    Thank you for another delicious recipe! Tried these muffins yesterday and they were amazing!!
    The combination of apple and spice was delicious and not overly sweet- perfect for breakfast. This was my first time making crumb topping like that and it was easy and delicious :) We made these muffins without the glaze and they were awesome like that and I’m sure they would be good with it as well !
    Looking forward to trying your peace muffins and chocolate muffins soon 😀
    Thanks again!

Rochelleposted January 2, 2015 at 1:59 pm

*peach 😛

Rebeccaposted January 6, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Hi, I made this and downsized them because I don’t have a large muffin pan but I was disappointed in how they turned out. They are delicious, however, they didn’t set up correctly and ended up melting into one big cake like situation. I followed the directions to the T but I’m not sure what went wrong…Anyways I would advise other people to consider baking it in a cake dish as it has a very airy light cake like consistency but perhaps you’ll have better luck than I. Delicious either way.

Diptiposted January 22, 2015 at 6:51 am

Hi Sally!

Tried this today with hesitation as I do not have a stand mixer and was wondering whether it would turn out just as good as others mentioned, but I must say some muscle power to it brought the most moist muffins out of the oven. It’s super fluffy and moist and tastes heavenly!

Thank your so much for this wonderful receipe ! Sure a keeper☺️

Moposted January 25, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Tried these today, delicious!!!!

Moposted January 25, 2015 at 9:02 pm
    Sloaneposted February 8, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Just made these! A bunch of comments. First of all, I ate half of the crumble before putting it on the muffins. I swear. The crumb itself is so amazing! To the person who did not see the part about putting the flour in last, I didn’t see it either but it still worked. I added a dash of nutmeg too (someone else said they did) to give it apple pie flavor. My sister tasted the batter before I added the apples and said, this tastes like apples. It was flavor association and the fact that Sally’s recipes are so amazing! I also added some more baking powder. I have made the sparkling jumbo blueberry muffins, and the tops came out beautiful. These tops went up and then out, so they wound up kind of flat. Unfortunately, I didn’t spray the tin enough and only half came out, like, came out of the tin whole. Still delicious. I gave the falling-apart one to my sister while she was on the excersize bike. She ate the whole thing and stayed on an extra 10mins! Thank you Sally for once again working your magic!

• irinareplied on April 29th, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Lol! You’re not the only one

Rachelposted February 12, 2015 at 11:54 am

The smell of the crumble is a good enough reason to make it first:put the bowl somewhere in nose-range, because those wafts are gorgeous. Seriously, these muffins are the real deal. They’re so perfectly moist and brown sugar-y, I just want to build my house out of them.

Rachelposted February 15, 2015 at 3:09 am

Any chance these can be made ahead?

Sofiaposted February 24, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I just tried these muffins and although delicious they’re a bit too airy for my taste (more like a cupcake than a muffin) and didn’t really form a dome, instead spread out. I made three batches, changing the quantity of batter in each and they all had the same problem.
    Any idea what I’m doing wrong? I was really looking for the dome-shaped muffins (no matter the airy-ness).

Kacieposted February 26, 2015 at 9:10 pm

These are so good, like I never comment back on websites, but DANG what the heck, these are so delicious. They are moist, tasty, and I guess sort of healthy, right?

• Sallyreplied on February 27th, 2015 at 11:04 am

Kacie, thanks for reporting back!

Millie Reaganposted February 28, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. These muffins are the absolute bomb. Halfway thru making them i realised i had no yoghurt so I substituted buttermilk and it worked beautifully. They are hands down the best baked goods i have ever produced. Thank you.

Catherineposted April 14, 2015 at 3:14 am

irinaposted April 29, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Omg!! I just made these for breakfast this morning and they are AWESOMED loved them.. Perfect texture.. Strussel on top was crunchy.. Mmmmm someone rescue this yummy deliciousness because I will devour it all!!

Carolinaposted April 30, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Hey, Sally! Can I use a previously freeze yogurt? Thaw and use :)

• Sallyreplied on April 30th, 2015 at 2:27 pm

That’s just fine.

Amandaposted May 15, 2015 at 9:10 pm

i just took these out of the oven.  How long should they cool before taking out of pan?  Should I pour glaze on before that or after?  I’m leaving them into cool now so they don’t fall apart but not sure when to glaze.  They smell yummy!  Thanks for the recipe.

• Sallyreplied on May 16th, 2015 at 8:25 am

You can remove them from the pan to enjoy while they are warm. I recommend glazing while they are warm as well.

Christinaposted May 17, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Amazing!!!!! Made for  a brunch and people were fighting over last few! It must be a forgiving recipie bc between a two year old rubbing around and a 3 month old on my hip we got these made and they were amazing!!!!! Thank you!

Christinaposted May 17, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Oh my gosh. That’s what I get for trying to leave a comment while nursing! My two year old was “running” around! So sorry. First time I have ever left a comment for a recipie that’s how amazing these were. Gonna make again tonight when kids asleep!

Erinposted May 19, 2015 at 4:54 pm

When my teenage boys high five me and call me “da bomb,” I know I’ll be making these muffins again very soon!!!  Didn’t have yogurt in the house, so used sour cream instead – made the muffins super moist.  Another winner, Sally – thanks!

• Sallyreplied on May 19th, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Hahaha amazing.

Katie Clarkposted June 28, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I’ve never left a comment before, but oh my god, these were so so so good. My fiance asked for muffins this morning, and we had some apples that needed to be eaten. I found this recipe and he is in love with them! He told me that they’re better than any of the muffins from his favorite childhood bakery. So delicious!

Shelley Schuckposted July 12, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I used half and half dark brown sugar and light in both topping and muffin.  For glaze I used coffee creamer Cream Brûlée flavor!  AWESOME!!!!!!

Carolynnposted August 11, 2015 at 10:52 am

These are simply AMAZING!!  Super moist…Will definitely be making again!!

Bobbi Bercelposted August 19, 2015 at 10:23 am

If you were to put a frosting on this, and turn it into more of a cupcake, would you prefer a cream cheese frosting or a buttercream? Also, any changes I should make to make it more cakey?

Please let me know! I have a request for these for a baby shower!

• Sallyreplied on August 19th, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Definitely cream cheese! I’d avoid a heavier, more rich option like buttercream. Here is my favorite cream cheese frosting.

• Bobbireplied on August 19th, 2015 at 2:54 pm

great!!! Thank you for responding
        And sharing your thoughts!!!
        Yay! I’m so excited!

Sueposted September 24, 2015 at 6:30 am

Delicious results! Thanks for laboring to “get it right” for the benefit of your readers. One idea that I have borrowed from someone else – use apple cider instead of milk for the glaze. It is not quite as pretty a presentation, but really adds to the apple goodness.

Brandy M.posted September 24, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Dear Sally, Will you please move to the coast of South Carolina and cook for me?!? I’ll love ya forever!! I’ve made several of your recipes and all have been awesome!! I’m a fluffy girl already but if I keep cooking your incredible edibles, soon I will be homebound…chewing on muffins! Love, Love, Love!! ~B

• Sallyreplied on September 24th, 2015 at 7:03 pm

I personally would LOVE to move to South Carolina!

Claraposted October 2, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Heavenly!!! :)

Jeanieposted October 4, 2015 at 12:29 am

The Glazed Apple crumb muffins are the best muffins I have ever eaten!  Today I used a simple caramel icing as the drizzle. Loved it.
    I have also discovered that using a small whisk to drizzle the icing on top my muffins made them picture perfect!
    I plan to try making these into mini muffins. Would you suggest baking them as you do in your Master Muffin Mix (375° for 11-12 min)?

• Sallyreplied on October 4th, 2015 at 7:14 am

Hi Jeanie! Yep, 11-12 minutes is great for the mini muffins.

Ann Harrisposted October 4, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Made the Apple Crumb Muffins yesterday to try out my new oven so I was not expecting miracles! WOW I did perform a miracle as they turned out amazing! I used baking paper to line the muffin tin which was a bit fiddley but worth the effort as I was able to make them a bit bigger and the crumble didn’t fall off as I put it on and they domed up beautifully! I haven’t baked anything in ages but will be making these again very soon! Thank you for this superb recipe, if I can make them anyone can! :)

hafsatposted October 7, 2015 at 11:49 am

Can I substitute  yoghurt to milk?

Doloresposted October 8, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I just need to tell you that I officially have a love-hate relationship with you! LOL I love your recipes but find myself telling hubby “I hate how she temps me!” LOL. I have tried a couple of your recipes already, most times tweaking a bit based on ingredients I have/don’t have and other preferences, but I gotta tell you, YUM, YUM, YUM! These days if my eye catches something on Pinterest and I see your name, I don’t even hesitate to visit your blog! Thanks so much for sharing all your knowledge and experience and all these yummy recipes. I look forward to trying many more of your recipes, ESPECIALLY this muffin recipe! :)

• Sallyreplied on October 8th, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Thank you so much Dolores! Sorry to always tempt you… but not really sorry at all. Ha! Hope you enjoy these muffins. They are a personal favorite.

Michelleposted October 8, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Hey, Sally. I’m so excited to make these this weekend; my mouth is already watering.

Just one question — can use a mixture of sour cream and plain yogurt? I have a scrapable amount of sour cream left and I don’t want it to go to waste.

Thank you for reading!

• Sallyreplied on October 8th, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Yes! A mix of yogurt/sour cream works.

• Michellereplied on October 8th, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Thank you so much! :)

Michelleposted October 10, 2015 at 2:25 am

I’m the above commenter, just giving credit where credit’s due.

Just made these tonight. I was worried because I completely forgot about the milk, which might have contributed to the fact that my batter didn’t yield the standard amount of muffins (I was only able to make 10 muffins instead of the predicted 14; however, I did HEAP the batter into the tray. I could be wrong? I’m still fairly new to baking).

But I literally said “dude” out loud as I took a bite. It was literally 100 degrees today, and I was wondering whether the oven heat was worth it. It totally is. The cinnamon, brown sugar, and hearty apples make these taste like mini, breadier apple pies.

I was also veeeery generous with the crumb topping, spooning as much as I could onto each muffin. The muffins came out looking absolutely gorgeous. I was worried about the muffins and them drying out, but they’re pretty damn moist.

If you had a rating feature, I would give this five stars. I’m definitely trying your blueberry streusel muffins soon. Sally, you’ve nailed it!

• Sallyreplied on October 10th, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Awesome. So glad you love these glazed apple crumb muffins as much as I do!

And yes, without the milk and loading the batter into the muffin cups is why you had less!

Charlie Armourposted October 14, 2015 at 4:45 pm

As fantastic as you described. Got lots of great comments for them! Thanks.

Jessicaposted October 17, 2015 at 11:58 am

Hey Sally!
    I just made these 2 nights ago and they came out AMAZING!!! Unfortunately they only tasted good for me :( I kept them in a Ziploc container at room temp, tried one this morning and it became very dry. Wondering what happened? I would have loved for these to taste as moist as they did that first night for everyone else to enjoy!!

Selenaposted October 18, 2015 at 5:18 am

Hi!! Would this recipe work if I half the quantity of all the ingredients as I do not need that many muffins! I have a small family 😀

Nicoleposted November 2, 2015 at 9:47 am

I just made these last Thursday night . It was moist and tasted really good. But come Sunday, they smelled a bit weird and when i cut it in half the apples were slimy. I did keep them in an airtight container in room temperature. Did I do anything wrong?

Jemaineposted November 9, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Glazed Apple Crumb Muffins are my new FAVORITE!!!! I can not wait to make them again! Light and moist. 5 stars!!!