Homemade Monkey Bread (aka Cinnamon Roll Bites).

Classic monkey bread is sweet pull apart bread baked in a bundt pan. And my version is made from scratch – heavy on the cinnamon sugar and sweet vanilla glaze!

Homemade Monkey Bread (aka Cinnamon Roll Bites or Cinnamon-Sugar Pull Apart Bread) - this homemade version is incredible! sallysbakingaddiction.com
Have you ever had monkey bread before? You either (1) have eaten it and love it (2) have no idea what I’m talking about.

If you fall into the latter category, let me explain what this outrageous recipe is. Monkey bread is a sweet, sticky, gooey pastry made from little balls of dough rolled in cinnamon sugar and baked together in a bundt pan. You can have it for breakfast, brunch, or dessert. Or dinner, or 2nd dessert, or lunch, or snack…

Monkey bread is a giant cinnamon roll. A mountain of cinnamon rolls, if you will. To eat it, you tear the bread piece by piece – sort of like how little monkeys pick at their food.

In other words… monkey bread is awesome. See what I mean? ↑ ↑

It’s been awhile since I made it, and to be honest – I’ve only made it with caramel before. Monkey bread is sooooo (x 100) good with caramel sauce.

Today’s version doesn’t have caramel, though. Rather, I prepared it the traditional way. This monkey bread is completely smothered with a brown sugar sauce before baking and then topped with vanilla glaze.

You’re going to make the dough from scratch. No short-cuts here, please! Pure, homemade, soft doughy goodness tastes so much better than dough you get in a can. The dough takes about 15 minutes to prepare and you can make it the night before to save yourself some time in the morning. Not too bad, right?

The next morning, set aside 30 minutes to roll the dough into balls and coat in cinnamon-sugar. Little bakers love to help out with this step! Good thing to note: the heavier the cinnamon-sugar coating, the more these little monkey bread bites will taste like gooey cinnamon rolls. That’s a good thing, trust me.

I prefer to use Red Star Platinum in my monkey bread recipe. In fact, it’s what I use in all my sweet dough recipes. Its premium formula strengthens dough, increasing puffiness and spring in your finished recipe.

Here are some step-by-step visuals for you:

All of the little cinnamon-sugar bites you pull apart are so sweet ‘n sticky! In a good way, of course. You’ll be licking your fingers clean and grabbing more and more from the big pile of cinnamon sugar goodness.

Imagine the best cinnamon roll you’ve ever tasted. This monkey bread is better than that – and you get a huge mountain of it in bite sized form. A bundt pan of heaven.

If you already love monkey bread, then you have to try this homemade recipe… and if you have never tried monkey bread, then you have to try this recipe!

Though my homemade version takes a little more time to make than shortcut versions, you will be quickly thanking yourself for going the homemade route! Once you smell the ooey gooey cinnamon sugar bubbling in the oven, you’ll know you made the right decision.

Enjoy! Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make.

Homemade Monkey Bread

Yield: 14 servings

Prep Time: 9 hours (includes rising)

Total Time: 9.5 hours

Makes 1 bundt pan of monkey bread, about 14 servings. This is an overnight recipe you have to make ahead. Be sure to read all of the instructions before baking.

• 1 package (2 and 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast (recommended: Red Star Platinum)
  • 1/4 cup warm water (110F-115F)
  • 1 and 1/4 cups warm 2% milk (110F-115F, 2% or higher milk fat, no lower)
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour (measured correctly)

• 3/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Vanilla Glaze

• 1 cup (120g) confectioners' sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream (or milk for a less creamy texture)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Make the dough: In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir it around a bit and let it sit for about 2 minutes. Add the milk, melted butter, sugar, eggs, salt, and 3 cups of flour. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes (using a dough hook if you have a stand mixer or using a hand mixer). By hand add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. About 5 cups total.
  2. Turn the dough onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Do not over-knead, which will yield a tough, chewy bread. The dough is ready when it is smooth and when you can poke it with a finger and it springs back. Form dough into a smooth ball and place into a large greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. I greased the bowl with cooking spray. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
  3. Make the coating: melt 1/2 cup of butter in a small bowl. Mix granulated sugar and cinnamon together in another small bowl. Set aside. You will use the rest of the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla later.
  4. Spray a 10-12 cup bundt pan with cooking spray. Set aside. Punch the cold dough down very gently to allow the air bubbles to release. Pull apart pieces and roll into balls, about 1.25 inches in diameter. You will need 40-45 balls total, so be modest with their size. Dip each ball, one by one, in the melted butter and then generously roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat them. You may need more cinnamon-sugar depending how heavy you coat each ball. Arrange them in the bundt pan as you go. If you did not use Red Star Platinum yeast, cover the pan and allow dough balls to rise again for about 45 minutes at room temperature. If you did use Red Star Platinum yeast, move ahead to the next step and bake right away.
  5. Preheat oven to 350F. Melt the remaining 1/4 cup of butter and whisk in the brown sugar and vanilla until combined. Pour the buttery mixture over the dough balls in the bundt pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top. Cover loosely with foil if the top browns too quickly. Cool for 5-10 minutes and invert onto a large serving plate.
  6. Make the glaze: Simply whisk all of the glaze ingredients together and pour over the bread. You may either cut the bread into generous slices or let everyone pick off the gooey pieces themselves.
  7. Monkey bread tastes best served on the same day, but will stay fresh for 3 days if stored covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
  8. Make ahead tip: This recipe is designed to be made ahead! In step 2, you'll see that the dough needs to rise for at least 8 hours or overnight.

Try my Homemade Monkey Bread with Caramel next!

Homemade Monkey Bread with Caramel Sauce

190 Responses to “Homemade Monkey Bread (aka Cinnamon Roll Bites).”

Caseyposted March 5, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Tried to make this today, tastes good, but the dough balls didn’t stick together like yours. There was soooo much butter too. I had to take it out of the oven and pour it all out, it was like butter and dough soup. Any idea why that is?

Katieposted March 10, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Hi Sally – I’d like to prep this dough in advance, if possible. How long would you keep the dough in the refrigerator before prepping to bake? I was hoping to prepare 2 nights before (instead of the one night before). Thanks in advance for your help!

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Katie, yeast dough can be tricky. Letting the dough rise in the fridge for 2 days could cause it to overproof, which will leave a yeast taste and deflated dough. I suggest freezing the dough then letting thaw in the refrigerator and then rise at room temperature.

Onfaliaposted March 16, 2015 at 9:53 am

Hi Sally! I really want to give this recepie a try! The only thing I can’t find in my country is the active dry yeast, I only found dry yeast, would it work of I change lt? Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Johnposted March 19, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Just made this with my daughter. WOW! This is amazing. I made a cream cheese frosting instead that is closer to Cinnabon, but wow thanks for posting.

Stacyposted March 26, 2015 at 4:42 am

Hello Mrs. Sally!! This looks soooo good and I want to make it for my dad’s birthday breakfast! But the only problem is that I don’t have a bundt pan :( Would it be alright to use perhaps a loaf pan or a cake pan? What would you recommend in place of a bundt pan? 😀

• Sallyreplied on March 26th, 2015 at 7:13 am

I suggest two loaf pans– this will do the trick!

• Stacyreplied on March 27th, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Hmmm two loaf pans…I only have one! :( Would it be alright to bake one batch at a time? Or may I just dump it all into a cake pan? I’m sorry for so many questions :(

Karinaposted March 26, 2015 at 4:43 pm

My sister and I were so excited to make this recipe but after following the recipe to a T 3 times, it still wouldn’t cook completely through??? It stayed doughy inside? What are we doing wrong? I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and we don’t have your brand of yeast. We are desperate to eat this fully cooked?

• Sallyreplied on March 26th, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Hi Karina! The yeast isn’t the issue. I would simply bake the monkey bread for longer. If the top (which is the bottom!) is getting too brown too quickly, cover the whole thing loosely with aluminum foil as it bakes.

• Karinareplied on March 27th, 2015 at 1:32 pm

We left it in for double the time and it still wouldn’t cook? I will trying covering it next time and see if that works. Thanks for responding, much appreciated!!

Annemiek (the Netherlands)posted March 27, 2015 at 6:26 am

The recipe was perfect and the bread delicious!
    A question, is it possible to freeze the dough? And when, after the time in the refidgerator or before?

• Annemiek (the Netherlands)replied on March 27th, 2015 at 6:46 am

I am making the dough right now. In another answer you say that it is possible to freeze the dough, but I am not sure when.. Before or after the rising period in the refridgerator. Thanks for your answer!

• Sallyreplied on March 27th, 2015 at 4:26 pm

You can freeze the dough before rising the first or second time. Make sure it is covered tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Allow the dough to thaw and rise (either once or twice) according to the recipe instructions.

Kayposted April 3, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Ms. Sally,
    I’m not an experienced baker/cook and when I was baking this earlier, I switched the water and milk measurements! I put 1 1/4c water and 1/4c milk… The bread is rising though. What will happen to the bread once it’s cooked?

• Sallyreplied on April 4th, 2015 at 5:01 pm

The monkey bread dough *should* still be ok– what are the results?

Katrinaposted April 9, 2015 at 11:57 am

Hi Sally, I was just wondering what position did you put your oven rack on when baking this recipe?

• Sallyreplied on April 10th, 2015 at 11:27 am

Usually the lower third rack.

Saksyposted April 10, 2015 at 3:36 pm

This turned out absolutely perfect. Mine looks exactly like your picture. I did lower the quantity of butter in the coating and glazing, just so i wouldn’t feel too guilty :)

Baking Smithposted April 16, 2015 at 2:37 am

Ooooh! This sounds good. I’m going to try this with the icing….

JGposted May 9, 2015 at 9:11 am

If I don’t have a bundt pan on hand, can I improvise? I was thinking of cutting the recipe in half (14 servings is waaaaay too many) and using a 9in round or 10in springform.

Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on May 9th, 2015 at 9:14 am

You may halve the recipe for a loaf pan.

Momoposted May 15, 2015 at 11:11 am

I just put the Monkey Bread in the oven and it smells amazing! Just in case anyone wants to know I’m fourteen and yeast dough is kind of intimidating but this dough was really easy. I thought it wouldn’t fill my bunt pan all the way but it more than filled it I needed to put it on another pan so it wouldn’t drip in the oven. Thank you so much for this recipe and all you other recipes I can’t wait to eat this!

Deannaposted May 22, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Hi Sally, I made this a while back and for some reason, the dough seemed like it would not bake no matter how long I left it in for. It didn’t rise and was very doughy. I even used the yeast that you recommend. Any idea why?

Timposted June 1, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I  found that even after cooking this for the full 35 minutes at 350 the dough in the center was not cooked completely.  I used the bunt pan as suggested.   Any ideas ?

Kateposted July 4, 2015 at 10:53 am

I tried this recipe using quick rise yeast. I let the dough set for about 30 minutes and did not do a second rising. Recipe did not work out at all. My cook time was about double and still felt like there was too much butter/sugar mixture. When I tasted it, the bread was hard and did not cook like a cinnamon roll at all. I didn’t even serve it. Unfortunately, my recipe with the canned dough was much better than this failed attempt! Lesson learned…stick to the recipe! I’m sure it’s delicious.

Michelleposted August 16, 2015 at 10:45 pm

Hi Sally! I love money bread, but it’s a little messy for my little ones to share with their friends. Can I make it into monkey muffins? How long should i bake it for? Thanks! Michelle

• Sallyreplied on August 17th, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Absolutely! I’m unsure of the bake time though. Use your best judgement to determine their doneness.

Sheriposted August 23, 2015 at 11:30 am

i am a beginner at this “baking stuff” and I couldn’t believe how your recipe turned out for me.. fantastic!! I love the way you broke down the recipe with each step. Thank you so much for sharing this… I am feeling a little more daring now so I think I will try something else of yours.. Thanks Sally!!

Jenposted August 30, 2015 at 12:30 pm

I can’t wait to try this!
    I also wanted to ask: Could I take your dough recipe, leave out the sugar and use it to make pepperoni and mozzarella monkey bread?

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Definitely! I believe a few readers have done something similar before.

• Jenreplied on August 31st, 2015 at 5:19 am

Thank you, Sally! :)

Billposted October 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe.

Dalya Rubinposted October 30, 2015 at 3:44 pm

I am so excited to make this recipe! Can I substitute oil or Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks for the butter in the coating?

Sarahposted November 7, 2015 at 8:55 am

This recipe is absolutely divine! The dough has a wonderful taste. MUCH better than the recipes that use biscuit dough. It’s definitely worth the little extra effort to make the dough 8 hours ahead.

Annabelposted November 9, 2015 at 1:50 pm

I made the dough and refrigerated it overnight. However, the dough didn’t seem to have risen at all. Did I do something wrong?

Shannonposted November 23, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Is there a way to freeze the dough after making balls?

Joanneposted November 25, 2015 at 8:43 am

Hi Sally, I just love your blog, and bake at least two of your recipes every week..I am desperate to make the monkey bread recipe but because it’s in cups and every conversion chart I have looked doesn’t match up on your other recipes…I was hoping maybe you could give me the recipe in uk grams..I really do love your recipes and have told my all my friends ..thank you ..from a very keen baker and peanut butter lover Joanne xx