Orange Creamsicle Smoothie.

This creamy, healthy 5 ingredient smoothie tastes like an orange julius and a creamsicle pop combined. Vitamin C has never tasted so good!

This creamy, healthy 5 ingredient smoothie tastes like an orange julius and a creamsicle pop combined! sallysbakingaddiction.com

Hi! Today we’re busy settling into our new home in Philly and my spot for the next few days is organizing this mess. You can’t see it in the photo but there are about 12 boxes to unpack on the left. Send help.

I have a hate/love relationship with organizing kitchens.

In the meantime, I have the peeeeerfect recipe for you to beat the heat this toasty summer week. Have you ever had an Orange Julius drink before at the mall? Or an orange creamsicle popsicle in the summertime? Today’s shockingly simple smoothie recipe was inspired by both favorites. The tastes of vanilla and orange in one.

Essie “Strut Your Stuff” 🙂

Creamy, cool, citrusy, lip-smackin’ protein-packed sweetness.

This shockingly simple smoothie is my current post-workout obsession. Couch + feet up + this smoothie + a spoonful of peanut butter (which turns into three spoonfuls of peanut butter) is how I unwind from a run these days. I’m already at 32 miles for July… 68 to go for my 100 mile challenge. Wooohooo.

This smoothie is the creamiest of creamy. If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile, then you know about my obsession with frozen banana. Seriously – if you want a creamy smoothie that is thick enough to eat with a spoon, then frozen banana is your answer. Typically smoothie recipes call for ice to thicken the texture, but I find ice waters it down. The frozen banana gets the job done without giving the smoothie a slushy texture.

Frozen banana turns into a delicious vanilla tasting “soft serve” when blended with vanilla extract and a splash of milk. Instead of milk, however, I use a little orange juice. These three ingredients are the base of your orange creamsicle smoothie. Don’t worry, you can’t really taste the banana under the vanilla and orange.

Only a couple more ingredients until your orange creamsicle smoothie is complete. A little protein-packed Greek yogurt and an orange. Blend all this vitamin C packed goodness together until thick and smooth. That’s it!

A simple, 5 ingredient smoothie recipe that will make any day feel like summertime. For the record, I’ll be drinking these all year long thankyouverymuch.

Sometimes I add a little orange zest to up the ante. That’s optional! And for an added nutritious punch, try adding a handful of greens like kale or spinach to the smoothie.

If you love orange creamsicles and orange julius, this smoothie has your name written all over it. The recipe makes enough for 2 servings, but I usually drink one and then the rest a few hours later. You’ll probably drink the whole thing too. It’s so dang good!

A sunny day in a glass. Enjoy!

Orange Creamsicle Smoothie

Yield: serves 2

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 frozen ripe banana, previously peeled & sliced
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
  • 1 orange, peeled and sliced
  • optional: 2 teaspoons orange zest

Directions:

1. Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender to break down the frozen banana and orange. I like this Ninja or this Vitamix.
  2. On high, blend the frozen banana chunks, vanilla, and orange juice together until thick, creamy, and smooth - about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed. Add the yogurt, orange, and orange zest (if using). Blend until combined.

For an extra nutrition punch, try adding 1 cup of your favorite greens like kale or spinach!

Try my tropical version next! I add a little mango to make my Sunshine Smoothie. You’ll love it.

Sunshine Smoothie - wake up with this creamy, sweet smoothie from sallysbakingaddiction.com

You’ll also love my Skinny Tropical Muffins.

Skinny Tropical Muffins

See more summertime recipes

See more healthy recipes.

See more naturally gluten free recipes.

This post contains affiliate links.

92 Responses to “Orange Creamsicle Smoothie.”

Amanda - A Cookie Named Desireposted July 10, 2014 at 10:47 am

Orange Creamsicle anything is delicious. This is such a great guilt-free smoothie I will probably end up drinking all summer long. Pinned.

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventuresposted July 10, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Good luck with your 100 mile challenge! That sounds rough!

• Sallyreplied on July 10th, 2014 at 5:30 pm

IT IS!

Mary Francesposted July 10, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Frozen bananas for life. I’ve decided summer wouldn’t be summer without them! Good luck with the kitchen organizing … at least you will know where everything is! The worst is trying to figure out someone else’s kitchen (as I’m sure you know) That is not fun 🙂
    Love this refreshing and oh so easy summer drink Sally! Smoothie variations are always welcome!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted July 10, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Orange creamsicle just screams summer to me – and with how hot and humid it’s been, this smoothie has my name written all over it! 😀

PassTheKnifeposted July 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm

So many smoothies I need to try this summer, this is going on the list!

Cynthiaposted July 10, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Hello Sally,

I really don’t like the taste of ripe bananas and find it overpowering regardless of what it’s mixed in. Is there any other fruit you could use to replace the banana in this recipe?

• Sallyreplied on July 11th, 2014 at 5:29 am

I don’t have any other fruit in mind to keep the creamsicle taste. How about vanilla frozen yogurt?

• Cynthiareplied on July 11th, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Sounds like a good idea, I’ll try it!

Anna (Hidden Ponies)posted July 11, 2014 at 1:55 am

This looks so perfect for the super hot weather we’re having here right now! Happy unpacking Sally 🙂

Shannynposted July 11, 2014 at 9:32 pm

I LOVE all your smoothie recipes. I was super happy to find frozen spinach cubes (the size of a standard ice cube) ON SALE last week in the frozen food section! Add one or two into my smoothies and bam. Can’t even taste it and you get that extra popeye punch. Lol

Julieposted July 12, 2014 at 10:35 am

Oh my goodness is this ever delicious!! Thank you for creating this divine smoothie specimen!! It just vaulted to the top of my smoothie list!!!

• Sallyreplied on July 13th, 2014 at 7:25 pm

So glad you enjoy this smoothie recipe Julie! Thanks so much for reporting back.

Megposted July 15, 2014 at 11:21 am

This is AMAZING!!!! I just discovered your website and I love your stuff. I am an awful cook but have had success with a couple things already. Though after making this I might not bother with anything else!

• Sallyreplied on July 15th, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I’m so glad you love this smoothie! It’s my current obsession. Hope you do try a few other recipes though Meg!

Tara | Treble in the Kitchenposted August 12, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Looks fabulous and delicious! I love orange in my smoothies!

maksposted August 18, 2014 at 6:24 pm

what would happen if i didnt add orange zest

Candaceposted August 20, 2014 at 7:55 am

This looks so good! I craved orange creamsicles like a mad woman when I was pregnant with my son, too bad I didn’t have this recipe then but I’ll definitely try it soon 🙂

Fatimaposted December 12, 2014 at 6:40 am

yummmmyy, never had this before, so good tasting, i can only have it in winter because oranges are seasonal here, made it today and it was delicious.

Robinposted December 27, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Hi, curious about the frozen banana. Does it need to be frozen or can you use a regular banana? Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on December 27th, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Hi Robin. If you want a creamy smoothie that is thick enough to eat with a spoon, then frozen banana is your answer. Typically smoothie recipes call for ice to thicken the texture, but I find ice waters it down. The frozen banana gets the job done without giving the smoothie a slushy texture.

A regular banana is fine, but frozen is ideal for best taste and texture.

Jimiposted February 2, 2015 at 11:46 pm

is there a way to replace bananas? i am allergic to bananas and most of these recipes have bananas :(((

selenaposted February 20, 2015 at 1:57 am

This looks so good, but allergic to banana – any replacement suggestions for that?

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2015 at 2:33 pm

a little more yogurt and a few ice cubes is a nice substitute. to really keep that creamy texture and creamsicle taste, how about vanilla frozen yogurt.

Kathrynposted September 2, 2015 at 3:16 am

Do you use Navel or Valencia (juice oranges?) And for the 1/2 C orange juice, do you use store bought or fresh squeezed? Thank you! By the way, I’m loving your smoothie recipes. My boyfriend and I are able to get in all of our daily servings of fruits and veggies by incorporating whole food smoothies in our diet. Have you ever tried using china seeds in your smoothies? You MUST have a high power blender to break them down to help digest them, like flax seeds. (I have the Nutri Ninja) and its so powerful that it just cuts through frozen fruits and veggies with ease and I don’t have to scrape down the sides of the blended because it incorporates everything perfectly. Btw, chia seeds are packed with Omega 3 fatty acids and fiber. They also can be used as a thickener too for those thinner consistency smoothies. I encourage you to do some research on chia seeds if you haven’t heard of them! Thanks again for the awesome smoothie recipes!

• Sallyreplied on September 2nd, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Either! I’ve used both varieties depending what I have on had. Same goes for the juice too. I’ve never put chia seeds in my smoothies before, but it’s definitely worth trying! I do love making chia pudding. Thanks so much.

Rich Mposted January 18, 2016 at 2:21 pm

This was delicious I forgot to add the ingredients at different times but it still came out GREAT! Also, make sure to peel banana before freezing. LOL

Kayposted March 18, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Hi! This recipe sounds fantastic- but is there an alternative to yogurt? I’m terribly allergic.

• Sallyreplied on March 19th, 2016 at 9:18 am

I would just use an extra frozen banana. Enjoy!

Linda S.posted March 23, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I was in the mood for a creamsicle smoothie this morning too.  I had no recipe so I used 2 clementines, cottage cheese, zest of 1 clementine, oj, my protein packet and 5 ice cubes 2teaspoons orange extract it was great.  But after reading your recipe, I am going to try the banana.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I’m
    Really quite new at making smoothies.