20 Minute Chocolate Croissants.

These chocolate croissants could not be any easier. Filled with rich chocolate, topped with more chocolate, and only 20 minutes from start to finish.

20 Minute Chocolate Croissants from sallysbakingaddiction.com - these could not be any easier!!

Are you ready for the world’s easiest recipe? Wait. Should I even call it a recipe when there are only 3 ingredients? Yup. Three ingredients, twenty minutes, chocolate chocolate chocolate, more chocolate, totally dangerous.

These chocolate croissants are my new favorite way to spend Saturday mornings. After 1 grueling hour of spin class, they’re completely necessary. I work out for chocolate.

I recently got in touch with Safeway for a little collaboration. They asked me to make a couple recipes using some of my favorite products from their grocery aisles. A couple weeks ago, I made these Pretzel Crusted Chicken Fingers. Which completely blew my mind.

And this week, I used Pillsbury® Crescent Rolls to make today’s treat.

20 Minute Chocolate Croissants - chocolate chips

Chocolate is a croissant’s best friend. Have you ever had a chocolate croissant before? Either homemade, from a bakery, from Paris (let’s go there so we can eat chocolate croissants and pretty little macarons together), made with chocolate pastry, layered with chocolate, whatever. No matter what form, chocolate croissants are mind-blowing.

…I don’t think I have to tell you that twice.

My shortcut version of a chocolate croissant (or should I say chocolate crescent?) couldn’t be any simpler. Sometimes shortcuts in the kitchen are welcomed with open arms, especially when life gets a little hectic. See link to my homemade danish pastry dough below the recipe if you’d like to make the croissants from scratch!

So, there’s just a few quick steps to get down: roll out, fill, roll up, bake. That’s about it. You may use chocolate chips, dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, or heck – even white chocolate would be incredible. Absolutely trying that this Saturday morning. This time I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and a chopped dark chocolate bar.

Here are the steps. So easy.

The melty chocolate made me weak at the knees. Or maybe that was from spin class? I don’t know, my instructor is wildly intense. Top the chocolate filled croissants with more chocolate because (1) it looks pretty and (2) just because.

Oh, and try them warm with a side vanilla ice cream.

Join my chocolate croissant loving world, please. Enjoy!

PrintPrint SaveSave

20 Minute Chocolate Croissants

These chocolate croissants could be any easier. Filled with rich chocolate, topped with more chocolate, and only 20 minutes from start to finish. This recipe may easily be doubled.

Yield: 8 croissants

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

• can (8 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped pure chocolate*
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/4 teaspoon shortening, optional

Directions:

Heat oven to 350F degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.

Separate crescent roll dough into 8 triangles. Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon of chocolate chips/chunks on top of each triangle as shown above. Use your best judgement - if you think your triangle can hold more, add more. If you think it should hold less, use less chocolate chips. Press chips down lightly to get them to stick. Reserve remaining chocolate chips.

Roll up, starting from wide end and rolling to opposite point. Place onto baking sheet and curve into croissant shape. Brush the croissants lightly with beaten egg - this helps gives them that golden sheen.

Bake 12 to 17 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave in 10 second increment, stirring after each increment. Add shortening to thin out if desired. Drizzle over croissants and serve warm. Try adding fresh whipped cream or even salted caramel on top. Leftovers keep well covered tightly at room temperature for 3 days.

*I found that chopped pure chocolate melted much easier in the crescent dough than chocolate chips. I simply used a dark chocolate bar I had lying around. Any pure chocolate will do.

Adapted from Pillsbury

Try my Iced Raspberry Danish next.

You may use this homemade dough to make croissant pastry if you prefer.

Iced Raspberry Danish Pastry

And try these Chocolate Chip Scones, too.

Chocolate Chip Scones by sallysbakingaddiction.com

And S’mores Nutella Crepes.

S'mores Nutella Crepes

This post was sponsored by Safeway, Inc. Thanks for working with me, Safeway!

58 Responses to “20 Minute Chocolate Croissants.”

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted August 28, 2014 at 1:20 am

Crescent rolls can.do.no.wrong! I swear I love them for their extreme versatility. In a post this week too (not even sponsored) I used some Grands biscuits. There’s a time for scratch bread-making and a time for convenience :) These look so tempting and awesome, Sally! Like I want them, now! Pinned of course!

• Lynnreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 9:26 am

Haha, Averie, I completely agree with the “scratch vs. convenience” deal. I’m with you on sometimes it just needs to be done!

Hayleyposted August 28, 2014 at 1:55 am

Wow these look easy but delicious! Perfect for when I don’t feel like baking but I want to eat a baked good, you know!?

Nehaposted August 28, 2014 at 2:29 am

Hey Sally!
    These look amazing.
    Can you put up a recipe for making these from scratch – I am not sure we get the Pillsbury refrigerated dinner rolls here in India :(

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 6:04 am

Hi Neha, under the recipe I linked to my homemade danish pastry recipe. As mentioned, you may use that instead.

Kristin Threlkeldposted August 28, 2014 at 2:48 am

Oh how I need one of these now!!! Drooling :)

Michele @ Alwayzbakinposted August 28, 2014 at 4:39 am

NOW I know your secret. I need to take spin classes! Those look and sound amazing. :-D

Caleyposted August 28, 2014 at 6:02 am

These are so cute! They remind me of Spain, where I got some amazing chocolate croissants on a school trip :) Of course, I immediately started thinking of this recipe with butterscotch chips!! Heck, maybe I’d made a whole batch with different fillings…white-chocolate chips, chocolate chips, butterscotch, cherry chips, caramel bits… :D

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 6:07 am

I love the idea of each crescent with a different filling Caley! Butterscotch… yessss.

Martaposted August 28, 2014 at 6:59 am

Hey Sally! I just came back from Italy and besides eating macarons from Laduree (Did you know that macarons are originally from Italy? I didn’t until I started planning the trip haha), pizza, ravioli and more and more kinds of pasta… I had the pleasure to try a brioche (croissant in italian) filled with Nutella. Yep. Heaven. So if you like Nutella, you need to try them. Seriously, best thing I have ever eaten! haha

sweettoothbymarta.blogspot.com

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I had no idea macarons are originally from Italy! I’ve travelled to Italy twice and remember all the pizza and pasta all too well. I’m definitely trying nutella one time – thanks Marta!

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitnessposted August 28, 2014 at 7:01 am

Only 4 ingredients to buttery, chocolatey breakfast perfection? Count me alllll over those! I love the chocolate croissants at starbucks, but I don’t like paying for them..so, these! Pinned!

Pip {Cherries & Chisme}posted August 28, 2014 at 7:02 am

Wowwwwwwwww. We used to make a version of these on summer holidays in Cornwall when I was a kid! I must say though, almond croissants are fast becoming my new favourite – a sin I know.

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I need to make homemade almond croissants one time. Sounds divine Pip.

Mirposted August 28, 2014 at 7:03 am

It is totally a recipe with just three ingredients! Talent lies in the idea, the ingenuity. That is the case here! How delicious!
    I’m sensing a Sunday morning breakfast here. Gotta have a workout reward lined up!

Jasmine @ A cupcake for my thoughtsposted August 28, 2014 at 8:00 am

You’re making me really crave some chocolate right now, which we have none of in the house, all mum’s decision to stay healthy :(
    These look super easy and so delicious, they would be SO good with Nutella in the middle. I need to try these asap!

Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spiceposted August 28, 2014 at 8:09 am

I love easy recipes like this, Sally! And you definitely can’t go wrong with chocolate crescent roll. How easy is that?!

Stephposted August 28, 2014 at 8:19 am

Looks sooo good!!! I’m going to try these… With your homemade Danish pastry recipe!

Kate @ Diethoodposted August 28, 2014 at 9:12 am

Easy peasy and beautiful!! They look amaze. Love me some crescents!

Lynnposted August 28, 2014 at 9:28 am

Dangit, Sally. I have a love/hate relationship with crescent rolls. Why must you do this??

The best best best chocolate croissant I ever had was from Starbucks. It was free. No wayyyy would I pay $100 for another one, but I will sit in there until I have coffee coming out of my ears if it means another “ma’am, would you like to try our chocolate croissant? It’s on the house.” Yes, yes I would. Always yes to chocolate croissants.

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 1:56 pm

A chocolate croissant on the house? Lynn, I am incredibly jealous. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! I have to try making these from scratch one time. Maybe over the holidays. Stay tuned!

Cate @ Chez CateyLouposted August 28, 2014 at 9:30 am

My heart skipped a beat when I got the email alert with this recipe. I LOVE chocolate croissants. And 20 minutes?! This is going to be dangerous….

Joanie @ ZagLeftposted August 28, 2014 at 9:30 am

I love using Pillsbury Crescent Rolls and refrigerated biscuits in recipes. Your chocolate croissants look like something found in a bakery. I love all the chocolate!

Katie Gambleposted August 28, 2014 at 9:41 am

This recipe has been in my arsenal for years but I LOVE your tricks to make them pretty and attractive. One tip, if you as a fellow chocolate lover are interested – I have done this recipe with a dollop of Nutella in the center, sometimes in addition to the chocolate chips. It’s wonderful!
    Keep the fabulous recipes coming – I love to learn each week about what you’re doing in the kitchen!

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Everyone keeps suggesting Nutella and now I just have to try it. Thanks Katie!

Barbaraposted August 28, 2014 at 10:04 am

Ok….I love croissants, but admit I am a newbee as I never had a croissant filled with any of these ingredients. I am used to having them buttered, or say, having a tuna salad croissant. Never anything as wonderfully decadent as this (and the other fillings one writer recommended).

This is a fantastic, simple idea. Sure, I love scratch baking, but sometimes ya just gotta cut some corners, whether for entertaining, or just indulging yourself!

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Cutting corners – I agree on that one. Sometimes shortcuts are a huge help. Don’t get me wrong, nothing compares to homemade pastry but these things are pretty darn good! I love tuna salad on giant croissants. Now you have me wanting a second lunch!

Marisela @ NomNom Kingdomposted August 28, 2014 at 10:08 am

I will never underestimate the power of premade dough! These look amazing. All of that melty chocolate…. yummmmmm!

Karlyposted August 28, 2014 at 10:43 am

Yes! I’ve made these and they are every bit as good as you say! Seriously, a favorite!

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 1:51 pm

such a quick and easy recipe to put on the breakfast/dessert table, right? hope you’re having a good week Karly!

Lisa Lposted August 28, 2014 at 11:06 am

I make something very similar, but I use puff pastry, cut into small squares, fill w/ Nutella. Fold over and seal, sprinkle w/ slivered almonds. Bake, then dust with powdered sugar. These are wonderful for showers, teas, etc. You can make them very small and bite size if needed, or larger for breakfast. These look awesome too, and even simpler!

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Your puff pastries sound incredible Lisa! Thanks for sharing your idea.

Beth @ bethcakesposted August 28, 2014 at 11:39 am

Look at all that chocolate! I love using Pillsbury stuff when I need to make something quick. And you’re totally right, chocolate and croissants are perfect together! They should never be apart. :)

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 1:50 pm

When life gets a little hectic, shortcuts are welcomed with open arms that’s fur sure. Thanks Beth!

Sarah @ People, Places & Platesposted August 28, 2014 at 11:55 am

I work out for chocolate too…..except I don’t really work out…

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keepsposted August 28, 2014 at 11:57 am

Quick, easy and perfect!

Jessica Floryposted August 28, 2014 at 1:47 pm

These look delicious! Could you do this with homemade biscuit dough?

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hey Jessica! See my link and notes in the post about using my homemade danish pastry in lieu of the crescent dough.

• Jessica Floryreplied on August 28th, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Thanks Sally! Haha should’ve seen that before :)

Mary Francesposted August 28, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Anything with chocolate chips is definitely a recipe. :) I love recipes like this with easy shortcuts! I’m pretty sure people’s mouths will be too full and their tastebuds too happy to even think about asking whether or not the croissants are from scratch (plus: ain’t nobody got time for that!)

• Sallyreplied on August 29th, 2014 at 8:16 am

Hahahahahaha my friend loves the “ain’t nobody got time for that” line. Thanks for making me crack up this morning Mary Frances!

Mateaposted August 28, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Whoah–these look amazing! I’ll take five with a few scoops of vanilla ice cream, please :)

Amy @ Thoroughly Nourished Lifeposted August 28, 2014 at 8:04 pm

These are the perfect treat after an hour of spin class! A girl has to have some motivation to get up and workout everyday :) Mine at the moment is salted peanut brittle that my little sister makes. Oh. Yum.
    Might have to shake up the routine and try these with some homemade gluten free dough :) Perfect with a mug of coffee for a Sunday brunch treat!

• Sallyreplied on August 29th, 2014 at 8:13 am

Amy, I need to try that salted peanut brittle!! Sounds divine.

Laurposted August 28, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I work out for chocolate… and wine… and cupcakes… and cookies… Definitely not lettuce. LOL

I definitely would love to make the pastry from scratch but when you just want chocolate in pastry form… Ain’t no one got time to make dough from scratch. I need my fix and I need it NOW lol!

• Sallyreplied on August 29th, 2014 at 8:13 am

Hahahahahahahaha I don’t work out for lettuce either. Wine is absolutely at the top of my list. And margaritas. In fact, I’m usually thinking about dinner or what I’m having for dessert on my long runs lol. I know you can relate!

Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted August 28, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Absolutely love these, the chocolate filling and drizzle is perfection!

Nicolaposted August 29, 2014 at 8:01 am

We get the most delicious pain au chocolat from the morning bakery van in France. My husband was initially, “Ugh, bread and chocolate together, what’s that all about?”, but I seem to have changed his mind. These look pretty tasty too!

Allysonposted August 29, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Made these this morning to surprise my daughter as a special treat to end her “Birthday week” thanks again Sally.

• Sallyreplied on August 29th, 2014 at 6:35 pm

How perfect. Happy birthday to her!

Cassieposted August 29, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I’ve been making these for a while, and they’re delish. Totally worth keeping some crescent rolls on hand for them.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress)posted August 29, 2014 at 10:22 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I love chocolate croissants-it’s dangerous how quickly I could have them!

Kristinaposted August 31, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Hi,
    Thank you for highlighting the easiness of homemade croissants! (albeit not as authentic as the proper French pastry delights) I’m from the UK so we don’t have the same brand ready-made dough as you guys, but I just use regular puff pastry instead. I don’t need to be asked twice to add extra chocolate to things but your photographs are shouting it at me! In fact, now I’ve read this I may have to make some this weekend :)

fannyposted September 1, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Gillianeposted September 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I made these for my daughter’s sleepover. Such a hit and so super easy!

Sandyposted September 19, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Ooh forgot to mention I made these and the family and I had them with a side of left over mango salsa. Delicious and simple ^_^.

SpotDish Blogposted October 15, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I love this recipe, so easy and delicious! I made these croissants with Market Pantry products from Target.

bnar.. kurdposted October 21, 2014 at 8:43 am

yuuuuummmmyyy thank you to the reciep