Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

Or try my apple cinnamon oatmeal cookies.

Crispy, crunchy baked cinnamon apple chips made at home. Healthy, cheap, easy, and addicting!

Crunchy, simple, healthy Baked Apple Chips. These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples. @sallybakeblog

Apples are my jam. Love love love them.

Apple pie, apple cake, apple cupcakes, apple muffins. Love-it-all.

Easy baked apple chips! Crispy, crunchy, cheap, and simple. These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples. sallysbakingaddiction.com

I’m going to let you in on a little secret of mine.  I don’t sit around snacking on cookies and cupcakes and cakes and pies and brownies all day.  I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle, full of veggies, running, yoga, fruits, whole grains, and a ton of hummus. (so much hummus!) And there’s the occasional treat of course. All of the decadent recipes I share on my blog are what I’ve made with friends, family, neighbors, and more.  I donate extras to our church, too. We certainly don’t eat it all ourselves. I have a wedding coming up after all!

One of my favorite healthy treats to snack on are apple chips. They’re crunchy, crispety, and addicting.  It wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I began to make them at home. Not only are they cheaper to make at home, they are SO easy.  Slice your apples, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar (optional!), and bake. That’s about it!

Pure apples. It doesn’t get much healthier than this.

There’s a few little tricks I use to make them extra crunchy and crispy.  First, slice your apples real thin.  If your apple slices are thick, they will turn out to be mushy. Still delish, but not what we’re going for here. The thinner your apple slices, the better.

Slicing these apples sure would be easier with a mandolin slicer (totally registering for one), but I just slice them up with a knife since I don’t have one.  Use your sharpest knife, turn the apple on its side, and slice.  I wish I had an apple corer as well, but alas. I don’t.  Oh well!

Some apple slices won’t be perfect. That’s ok! Spread them out into 1 layer on two baking sheets. Make sure you line them with a Silpat for easy clean up and no sticking.

How to make Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

I love cinnamon-sugar anything, so I always sprinkle the apples with a bit of the good stuff.

And by a “bit,” I mean a ton.  Lots of cinnamon-sugary-ness. Sometimes I opt for only cinnamon, so if you’re watching your sugar intake, you can definitely skip the sugar part.

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

I only sprinkle one side of the apples with cinnamon sugar.

Feel free to flip ’em over and do the other side too!

Another little secret of mine is to bake the apples at a super low temperature in the oven.  I bake them at 200F degrees for 2.5 hours.  If they aren’t as crunchy as I want them, I bake them for up to three hours.  During this time I like to paint my nails, get lost on Pinterest, upload a million pictures of Jude, or watch SVU marathons. Totally addicted!

After 2-3 hours, and flipping the apples once in between, I turn the oven off. Then I keep the apples inside the oven for 1 more hour.   Sitting in the oven as it cools down, rather than sitting at room temperature, will help your apple chips crunch up much quicker.  The crunchier, the better in my opinion!

I love these easy apple chips so much and it’s such a fun way to eat one of my favorite fruits.  It’s pretty much a hands off recipe besides cutting your apples and flipping them in the oven.   Recipes where I have to do as little work as possible is exactly what I look for in the summertime. Well, all the time actually. 😉

And just a friendly warning: Before you know it, your entire bowl of apple chips will be gone. I know mine like to completely disappear on me.  Sneaky little guys!

Crunchy, simple, healthy Baked Apple Chips. These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples! @sallybakeblog

If you love apples, you’ll love these recipes, too!

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

So addicting. And all you are eating is pure apples!

Ingredients:

• 3 apples (I use Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Honey Crisp)
  • ground cinnamon
  • granulated sugar

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 200F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
  2. Wash and thinly slice the apples as shown in the photos above. Spread the apple slices onto the baking pans making 1 single layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
  3. Bake for 1 hour, flip the apples over, and bake for another 1-1.5 hours. Turn the oven off and keep the apples inside as the oven cools down for 1 hour. This will help them get crunchy. Some apples may just be chewy and only slightly crunchy after 3 hours in the oven. Store apple chips at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Did you make a recipe?

Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.

If you like apples as much as I do, you will love my apple recipes!

Apple Spice Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

apple spice cupcakes with salted caramel frosting

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake (my favorite!)

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake

See lots more apple recipes.

Comments

1. Michelle on January 19, 2016 at 10:43 am

Hi.  I don’t have silicone baking mats.  Could I use wax or parchment paper, or aluminum foil?  Sounds delish!! Thx!

2. Tops on January 23, 2016 at 12:24 am

Many Kudos to you.   I’m an Air Force Junior ROTC instructor, teaching Aerospce Science, Leadership, Cultural Studies, and Survival cources to HS students (cadetss).  Just recently, during the ’16 Class Survival trip, a couple of cadets from our “Foodies” team  brought  and shred those baked apple chips with everyone and they were deeeelicous!   Very tasty!!   The “Foodies” chose to make them cause they were easy to prepare, store/carry; plus they’re refreshing, and are an excellent source of energy.   Thank you……and once again, many Kudos!!

3. Caitlyn on January 29, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Hi!

I don’t have silicone baking mats, do you think its okay to use aluminum foil? Really want to try this recipe without having to buy anything extra! :p

Thank You!

• LyndaL on May 3, 2016 at 8:56 am

Parchment paper works great too
      And no clean up

4. Marcia on January 30, 2016 at 3:32 am

What do you do about
     the seeds?

• Kelly on February 14, 2016 at 12:41 pm

I have some apple chips baking in the oven right now! I was worried about the seeds too. I used a mandolin to slice the apples, and the seeds either came out on their own as I sliced them, or I just needed to sort of brush the apple slices with my fingers, and the seeds came right out. Really easy – no problems!

5. Katie on February 11, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Well. I put them in the oven at 12:30pm…flipped them around 2pm, left the oven on til 3:30pm and they were still soft, not crunchy. Went for a walk and turned the oven back on at 4:30pm.  Just turned it off at 6:30pm.  Still not crunchy! A few crunchy spots, but still leathery for the most part. ??? Tasty, but not what I was going for!  I sliced them very thin (less than 1/8″). Any thoughts? My oven temp can’t be off that much! They were Empire apples.

6. Maddie on May 22, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I like my apple chips a little on the juicy side. How do I do that with this recipe? Cut the apples thicker and bake them for a shorter amount of time?

• Sally on May 22, 2016 at 12:55 pm

That’s what I would suggest, yes.

7. Judith on July 27, 2016 at 11:29 am

I love these chips! I make at least a batch a week during the fall. I featured them in my recent Apple Recipe Roundup: https://aluminumfoiledkitchen.wordpress.com/2016/07/27/recipe-roundup-an-apple-a-day/

8. Victoria S on August 30, 2016 at 3:02 pm

These came out great! Keeping them in the oven for an hour after it’s been turned off made all the difference. I used parchment paper since I don’t have a Silpat yet. I omitted the sugar and didn’t miss it since I was using sweet honeycrisp apples (my fave). I used a little bit of allspice and they tasted exactly like fall.
    P.S. To readers, listen to Sally and buy an oven thermometer! It makes all the difference in baking. My oven setting of 200 degrees was actually 250 degrees.

9. Karen K. on September 24, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Love these Apple Chips. I didn’t have parchment paper so I sprayed the pans. Dusted apple slices with cinnamon and sugar. Baked on one side for an hour then flipped them over for another hour at 200 degrees. Then I turned the oven off and let them sit in the oven for an hour, which I believe is the key to crispness.

10. Angelina on November 11, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Oh my, these are wonderful! Also, I used parchment paper and had no problems with the apples sticking. Thank you so much for this amazing recipe!

11. Lina on June 22, 2017 at 12:46 am

Does it matter if we peel the skin off the apples? Just wondering if it will make them less crunchy without the skin. I may not get a reply as this is a 2016 article/recipe and that’s ok.

• Sally on June 22, 2017 at 9:06 am

You can peel the apples if you prefer.

12. Jenny on July 24, 2017 at 11:17 pm

I had a hard time getting mine actually crunchy, so I tried propping my oven slightly open by sticking a wooden spoon in the door and they crunched up perfectly.

13. Margaret on December 4, 2017 at 11:50 am

Love ez recipes and these look delish. Was wondering though if you had tried this in an air fryer? This was an older post and those have become so popular in the last year?

• Sally on December 4, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I haven’t! If you do let me know!!

Reviews