Sunshine Smoothie

Creamy, fruity citrus smoothie made with orange, mango, banana, and not much else! Vitamin C has never tasted so good.

Sunshine Smoothie - wake up with this creamy, healthy smoothie from sallysbakingaddiction.com

It snowed again today, so I’m rebelling with the sunniest smoothie of them all. Bright citrus flavors paired with creamy banana, sweet mango, and a splash of orange juice. This shockingly simple smoothie will make you feel like your dippin’ your toes in the sand listening to the ocean.

Um, is it summer yet?

Sunshine Smoothie - this creamy smoothie tastes like a tropical mango-pineapple version of an orange julius!

Yesterday we hosted my friend Kristen’s bridal shower. Take a peek at some of the cute favors and desserts. (I was right- the red velvet brownies were the first to go and there wasn’t any leftover caramel corn.)

We held the shower in my apartment complex’s clubroom and filled it with hanging DIY tissue paper pom-poms, a mimosa bar, and enough food to feed double the amount of people. Whoops! The bride sipped out of her bride wine glass – I want one of these! Great gift for brides if you’re searching.

It was such a fun weekend to celebrate the beautiful bride. Hi Kris!

Sunshine Smoothie - feeling lethargic and run down? You are 5 minutes away from feeling a lot better with this simple smoothie!

Needless to say, I wanted a little healthy pick-me-up this morning. This smoothie fit the bill. Made with only fruits and a splash of OJ, you won’t believe how simple it is. Feeling lethargic and run down? Well, you are 5 minutes away from feeling a lot better. Vitamin C has never tasted so damn good!

My little secret? The frozen banana makes the healthiest, purist, creamiest base for a super thick smoothie. In fact, I often eat a giant bowl of blended frozen “banana whip” (just 2 frozen bananas cut into chunks then blended with a touch of milk) and sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top. Mind-blowing good. Try it!

Without a doubt, frozen bananas are my secret weapon when it comes to creamy smoothies. And no one will be any the wiser! “Is there ice cream in this?” Kevin asked when he tried a sip of today’s smoothie. Ha!

Play around with the fruits you use. Frozen mango, a little frozen pineapple, and 2 oranges are what I like to use. Have a grapefruit on hand? Use 1 orange + 1 grapefruit instead. Or decrease the mango and increase the pineapple. Go fruit wild.

This creamy smoothie tastes like a tropical mango-pineapple version of an orange julius. Enough said! So go ahead, put your feet up and dream of warm sunny days with a citrus bursting smoothie in hand. Makes the gloomy rain and snow outside seem much more tolerable!

Colorful straws are from Sweets and Treats Boutique.

More nutrient-packed smoothies: ginger green citrus smoothie, raspberry mango tango smoothie, berry purple power smoothie, tropikale energy smoothie, and glowing skin smoothie

Sunshine Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1 frozen ripe banana, previously peeled & sliced
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 2 oranges, peeled and sliced1
  • 1 cup frozen mango chunks2
  • 1/2 cup frozen or fresh pineapple chunks

Directions:

1. Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender that will blend up the frozen banana and apple. I like this Ninja or this Vitamix.
  2. Blend the frozen banana chunks and orange juice together until thick, creamy, and smooth - about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed. Add the oranges, mango, and pineapple. Blend until combined.

Recipe Notes:

1. Instead of two oranges, try 1 orange and 1 grapefruit.
  2. I prefer frozen mango chunks over fresh because they lend a creamier texture to the smoothie.

For an added nutritional punch, try adding 1 cup of your favorite greens!

Did you make a recipe?

Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.

A few more healthy, pick-me-up recipes:

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie (23g protein!)

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie

Skinny Tropical Muffins

Skinny Tropical Muffins

Baked Apple Chips

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

See more drink recipes like my beloved raspberry mango smoothie, this completely awesome tropi-kale energy smoothie, and this it-really-tastes-like-pie pumpkin pie protein smoothie!

This post contains affiliate links.

Sunshine Smoothie-- this bright, cheery, healthy smoothie is full of vitamin C and will energize you to tackle the new day. I love it!
This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

1. Iosune | Minimal Eats on April 1, 2014 at 6:58 am

This smoothie looks like summer!!! I love it! You’ve used my favorite fruits!! Thanks a lot for the recipe Sally 🙂

• Sally on April 1, 2014 at 10:13 am

Hope you enjoy, Iosune!

2. Melanie @ Carmel Moments on April 1, 2014 at 8:39 am

Mmm….Looks so refreshing and good.
    Have a great day, Sally!

3. Elizabeth S. on April 1, 2014 at 9:09 am

Just found your blog and I am SO EXCITED to try some of the recipes. I don’t know who is going to eat all the baked goods, though…maybe my Bible study members would like to serve as guinea pigs!

• Sally on April 1, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hey Elizabeth! That’s my favorite part about baking – sharing the goodies with others. Hope they all love what you bake from my blog. Let me know which recipes you try!

4. Ashley | Our Full Table on April 1, 2014 at 11:20 am

This looks so yummy! Perfect smoothie for the summer! I’m gonna have to try thay banana whip! That sounds delish1

5. Anna v.R. on April 1, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Please create more smoothie recipes, this one looks so good.
    BTW I love your cookie recipes, all my friends are addicted 😀
    Best regards from Germany.

• Sally on April 1, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for sharing my cookies with others, Anna! And I have some more smoothie recipe ideas coming!

6. [email protected] on April 1, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I am in love with this smoothie! And also with the idea of the whipped frozen banana with chocolate chips??! WHAAT!?! Sounds so good 🙂 Thanks for that little share inside this post too.

• Sally on April 1, 2014 at 2:44 pm

You’re welcome Serene – frozen banana whipped/chocolate chips is seriously so good. Try it!

7. Lucia on April 1, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Oh my gosh, these photos are so gorgeous and summery. I wish it was summer so much!
    Lucia’s Loves
    x

8. Jess @ On Sugar Mountain on April 1, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Oh man do I need some vitamin c in my life, especially in this smoothie! I am on the smoothie bandwagon, and I love how bright and spring-y this one is. 😀

9. Christine on April 2, 2014 at 8:28 am

This looks soooooo refreshing! I didn’t even know Orange Julius was around until I saw it out in Hawaii a few weeks ago. They are somehow connected to Dairy Queen? Anyways…yours looks super yum!

A coworker was telling me she puts a tablespoon of pudding mix in her smoothies…can’t get that idea out of my head. She uses almond milk so the pudding doesn’t set up but it sure sounds like a good flavor add….

• Sally on April 2, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Christine, I just heard that same thing about pudding mix. I have to try it! If you give it a try, let me know!

10. Jennie @themessybakerblog on April 2, 2014 at 8:30 am

This is one gorgeous smoothie. The color alone makes me want to reach through the screen and grab a glass. Love all the flavors!

11. Kayla on May 14, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I’ve used frozen bananas before, but never with this! I’m definitely making this tomorrow 🙂

Oh and quick question…how do you control yourself? If I was baking with regular sugar and butter and flour five times a week I would be ridiculously obese (hence why my baking is paleo). How do you do it?!

• Sally on May 15, 2014 at 9:41 am

When it’s your full time job and you have to fit into a wedding dress, you have no other choice than to control yourself! I also love to run as much as I love to bake. Thanks Kayla!

12. Alice B on September 11, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Sally, I have been completely loving your blog since I stumbled across it 3 years ago. I have to say though this smoothie (my first) was so absolutely delicious I had to let you know (another first). The whipped banana is brilliant and the fresh tropical taste is out of this world! I can’t wait to try my next smoothie.
    Thank you so much for sharing your life and love of fun, beautiful and delicious food! Enjoy every moment leading up to your wedding and best of luck to both of you!

• Sally on September 11, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Alice, thank you for the incredibly sweet comment! It is so nice to hear that you’ve been reading my blog for so long. Means the world to me, you have no idea. Let me know any more recipes you try! I swear by banana whip.

13. Christina on January 6, 2015 at 12:58 pm

So it’s been a while since you posted this, but I could use a blender recommendation! (As long as you’re not going to say Vitamix – I don’t have that kind of money to spend on a blender!)

Also, can you taste the texture of the pith of the orange?

I love banana whip, as you call it – I have about 6 bananas in the freezer, originally waiting to be made into banana bread, but I think I’ll make smoothies instead!

Do you have any suggestions for making smoothies ahead of time? I am up and out of the house by 5:30am and I don’t think my roommate or my fiance would appreciate a blender running that early! Can I make it, stick it back in the freezer, and let it thaw / stir it before drinking?

Thanks!!!

• Sally on January 6, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Hi Christina! (1) Blender recs: I have a Vitamix, but I also have this Ninja and I love it. (2) If you have a strong blender, you do not taste any orange pulp or pith. (3) You can definitely make the smoothie the night before, freeze, then thaw before drinking. Or just stick in the refrigerator and add some ice cubes the next morning to drink.

14. Annie @ Annie's Noms on January 19, 2015 at 1:48 pm

(Was going to email you, but your contact page said you reply to comments better!)

I’m doing an inlinkz round-up of some of my favourite fruit smoothies and was just wondering if I can add your Sunshine Smoothie to my round up – I absolutely love this smoothie, it’s like heaven on these dull UK mornings!

Thanks so much,

Annie

• Sally on January 19, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Absolutely Annie! And yes, I’m much quicker with comments. I’m slower than a snail with my email sometimes. Bad habit.

• Annie @ Annie's Noms on January 20, 2015 at 3:00 am

Thanks so much! Haha, I’m the same, I read and forget – I keep telling myself I must get better, but it doesn’t happen!

15. Maria on February 13, 2015 at 9:52 am

Ok, it’s almost a year later on your post but I just have to say thank you for your creativity! You have entertained my family with deliciousness for a while 🙂 this smoothie kick I’ve been on is all your fault! I love it! It’s 6 degrees here in Cleveland today so me and my 2 year old are sippin on some sunshine! Thanks again!

• Sally on February 13, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Stay warm Maria!

16. Lisa on March 1, 2016 at 11:50 pm

Amazing smoothie, tastes like something from Jamba Juice…love it!

17. Ruth Staffeldt on September 3, 2016 at 3:09 pm

For your readers, of whic I am now one, if they can’t afford a Vitamix, I purchased mine after I retired as a Christian elementary school principal, through a home shopping network on rice monthly payments. Only way I could afford it. I burned up one KitchenAid, so Vitamix is the way to blend those frozen fruits with no issues at all. You can throw in a small cute, or zucchini into your smoothie as well. You won’t taste it, but you’ll be getting both your fruits and veggies at one shot. Enjoy, and am very happy to find this blog! Simply delicious!

Reviews