Classic Hawaiian Pizza is a staple on our Friday nights. This crowd-pleasing recipe starts with my fluffy homemade pizza crust and is finished with a sprinkle of crisp bacon. It’s love at first bite.
In 1 short month, Kevin and I will be on our way to Hawaii for our honeymoon. We booked our getaway to Maui and to Kauai back in February with 8 inches of snow on the ground. Now here we are booking helicopter rides, massages, excursions… with only 22 days until I call him my husband. I’m so excited I could cry.
Oh wait, I did. I’m such a sap.
Here’s a better (less embarrassing) way to put it – I’m so excited to go to Hawaii on our honeymoon that I made homemade hawaiian pizza 3 Fridays in a row and am considering turning 3 weeks into 4 weeks because it’s so fabulously good.
Here’s my hawaiian pizza. It starts with the crustiest homemade pizza crust. Ham, pineapple, cheese, and sauce haphazardly arranged on top. And there’s bacon. I don’t think bacon is a traditional topping on Hawaiian pizza, but in Kevin’s words “everything goes with bacon.” So naturally… there’s lots of bacon on our hawaiian pizza.
Let’s talk about this pizza crust for a sec. My homemade pizza crust is like finding gold. The recipe is incredible. Soft and fluffy and oh-so-chewy on the inside, crispy on the outside. It freezes well, thaws easily, puffs up beautifully when baked. It’s a thick-style crust recipe that can hold an impressive amount of toppings. I’m all about the toppings.
My pizza dough is so easy to make, too. When you click the link to the recipe, you’ll see tons of step-by-step instructions and photos. I really really really want you to try it!
Good grief. Look at all these gorgeous toppings. Hawaiian pizza is the best.
I used pineapple from the little individual pineapple cups Kevin likes to snack on. I only did that because I didn’t feel like going to the grocery store for the 10th time this week to buy fresh pineapple. So, you can use fresh pineapple, canned pineapple, whatever. I prefer using smaller pieces of pineapple because you can fit more onto each slice.
More pineapple = better hawaiian pizza. Sweet and salty is a weakness.
For the ham, you can use either ham or Canadian bacon. The two are similar in taste and texture, but Canadian bacon is a little leaner. And they come from different parts of the pig. (Just in case you were looking for a ham lesson today.) I used Canadian bacon because we usually have it in the refrigerator for making breakfast sandwiches. Yum.
Another lesson for you: Hawaiian pizza is not actually Hawaiian. It originated in Canada. And I couldn’t be more thankful for this island-inspired recipe invention!!
So there ya have it. It’s time to shake up your pizza nights with a tropical twist!
Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make. ♥
Classic Hawaiian Pizza is a staple on our Friday nights. This crowd-pleasing recipe starts with my fluffy homemade pizza crust and is finished with a sprinkle of crisp bacon. It's love at first bite.
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza crust 1
- 1/2 cup (127g) pizza sauce, or more depending how much you like (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 and 1/2 cups (6oz or 168g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (75g) cooked ham or Canadian bacon, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup (82g) pineapple chunks (canned or fresh)
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Prepare the pizza dough through step 11, including preheating the oven to 475F as described in step 8.
- After waiting 15 minutes as described in step 11, top with pizza sauce, then the mozzarella cheese, then the ham/Canadian bacon, and pineapple. Sprinkle with bacon crumbles.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is bubbling. For the last minute, I move the oven rack to the top rack to really brown the edges. That's optional. Remove from the oven. Slice pizza and serve immediately. Store leftover pizza covered tightly in the refrigerator and reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices may be frozen up to 1 month.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
More pizza recipes to try…
See some more pizza recipes. TGIF!
With kitchen-tested quality recipes and step-by-step tutorials, my goal is to give you the confidence to bake and cook from scratch.