Mini Cheesecakes

Mini Cheesecakes

May is the month of cheesecake. How appropriate right before bathing suit season.

I shared my classic cheesecake earlier this week as the May Baking Challenge. If you're part of a small family and/or don't have any large gatherings on the horizon, an entire cheesecake can be quite the undertaking. I personally can't be trusted with leftover cheesecake and found myself in a lot of trouble last weekend with 5 cheesecakes on my hands. (Which is why my freezer is home to about 1 million slices with a large "do not be tempted" post-it note. Saving it all for my upcoming birthday celebration!!)

If you want to participate in the May Baking Challenge and aren't in the mood to tackle a full cheesecake, go ahead and bake mini cheesecakes instead. I have a few mini cheesecake recipes:

These recipes yield anywhere from 16-24 mini cheesecakes. They're all fun and flavorful, but maybe 16-24 mini cheesecakes is still too many. I felt inspired to reduce down even further and leave out all the extra goodies. Today's recipe yields 9-10 mini cheesecakes. They're simple, straightforward, and at only a few bites each, they're awesome for portion control.

Bake individual creamy cheesecakes in a muffin pan! This recipe yields 9 mini cheesecakes. Recipe on sallysbakingaddiction.com

All we're doing here is scaling down both the graham cracker crust and cheesecake batter from my classic cheesecake. Use a little more than 1 Tablespoon of both the crust and batter in each mini cheesecake. Like the big version, pre-bake the crust and make sure your cheesecake batter ingredients are at room temperature.

Bake the cheesecakes in a standard 12-count muffin pan. There's no need for a springform pan and no need to mess with a water bath. Mini cheesecakes are not only easier than a full cheesecake, they take half the time to prepare!

Get creative with the toppings. The baked and cooled cheesecakes will slightly sink down in the centers, but all is not lost. The way I see it, the dip gives you more room for toppings! I love cheesecake with strawberry compote, lemon curd, or homemade whipped cream.

More topping suggestions listed below!

NEW WEBSITE DESIGN

The newly redesigned Sally's Baking Addiction launched this week. Yay! A project over a year in the making, the website redesign allows for simple and streamlined navigation, larger images, and a full-width screen format.

I planned to share a simple and quick video tour today, but the exciting week kept me busy. It's coming soon, I promise! If you have any questions on the layouts or notice anything wonky or strange, let me know! We're continuing to fix any little tweaks in the meantime.

As always, thank you for being part of this uplifting baking community!!

mini-cheesecakes

Mini Cheesecakes

YIELD

9-10 individual cheesecakes

PREP TIME

20 minutes

COOK TIME

25 minutes

TOTAL TIME

3 hours, 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS

Graham Cracker Crust

• 2/3 cup (65g) graham cracker crumbs (about 4-5 full sheet graham crackers)
  • 2 Tablespoons (29g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 Tablespoon (12g) granulated sugar

Cheesecake

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-count muffin pan with 9-10 liners. This recipe yields only 9-10 mini cheesecakes, so there will be 2-3 empty. You could skip the liners and spray the pan with non-stick spray or grease with butter, but the mini cheesecakes are pretty stubborn to release from the pan. I recommend using liners to make things easier.
  2. Make the crust: Combine all of the crust ingredients in a medium bowl. Mixture will be sandy. Firmly press a heaping Tablespoon of crust mixture into each liner. (I use closer to 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons of crust per mini cheesecake.) Pre-bake for 5 minutes.
  3. Make the filling: Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese and granulated sugar together on medium-high speed in a large bowl until the mixture is smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, and lemon juice then beat until fully combined. On medium speed, add the egg and beat just until combined. Batter will be thick. Divide the batter between all the liners. It's about 1 Tablespoon per cheesecake.
  4. Bake until the edges are set and the centers only slightly jiggle, about 18-20 minutes.
  5. Set the pan on a wire rack and allow cheesecakes to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then transfer to the refrigerator and chill for 2 hours. The cheesecakes will slightly sink in the middle. It gives you room for toppings!
  6. Once chilled, add toppings and serve. Cover and store leftover cheesecakes in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Make ahead tip: Prepare the cheesecakes through step 3 up to 2-3 days in advance. Cover unbaked cheesecakes and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Continue with step 4. Freeze individual baked cheesecakes for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

RECIPE NOTES

1. Interested in baking more than 9 mini cheesecakes? This recipe is fantastic for doubling, tripling, or quadrupling. Simply double, triple, or quadruple each ingredient, including in the crust.
  2. For super mini cheesecakes, follow these directions: Line a 24-count mini muffin pan with mini muffin liners or grease with nonstick spray or butter. For easy and seamless removal from the pan, using liners is preferable. Make the crust and cheesecake batter as directed. Press 2 teaspoons of crust into each mini muffin liner. Pre-bake at 350°F (177°C) for 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and fill each with cheesecake batter. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until the cheesecakes appear set on top. Continue with step 6 in this recipe. Yields approximately 30 super mini cheesecakes.
  3. Non-US readers: With the help of other non-US readers who do not have access to graham crackers, here is a basic crust recipe you can follow for these mini cheesecakes. 110g digestive biscuits + 45g butter + no sugar. Grind the digestive biscuits into crumbs, melt the butter, and mix with the crumbs. Press into liners and pre-bake as directed in step 2. And from what I understand, spreadable cream cheese sold in a tub in countries outside of the US is a little different from the spreadable cream cheese in the US. It's thicker, sturdier, and more solid and should be OK to make cheesecake. I have no experience with it, but this is what I've heard from other non-US readers.

© SALLY’S BAKING ADDICTION. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Sally’s Baking Addiction.

SHOP THIS RECIPE

Here are some items I used to make today's recipe.

KitchenAid Stand Mixer | Glass Mixing Bowls | Muffin Pan | White Plate

Comments

1. Kathy on May 22, 2018 at 7:20 am

I live in Germany and can not find graham crackers!!! What can I used instead of graham crackers????

• Sally on May 22, 2018 at 9:51 am

Hi Kathy! See my recipe note to non US readers 🙂

• Jenni on May 23, 2018 at 2:35 pm

I always use Leipniz Kekse, and if available I go for the whole wheat version. They are sweeter than Graham Crackers (I believe) so you can omit any additional sugar:)

2. Julia K on May 25, 2018 at 1:02 pm

Kicking myself in the butt because I am waiting for these to cool and just realized I didn’t prebake the crust. Soggy bottoms ahoy!

3. Tina on May 30, 2018 at 11:22 am

Hello, fellow Germans! I always use Hobbits Kekse (kernig) from Brandt. They work perfectly for making the crust. I add a little sugar but a bit less.

4. Ana Maria on June 5, 2018 at 4:30 pm

I’ve noticed that the crust part of my mini cheesecake was not sticking to the filling. So, when I peeled the cupcake liner and would bite it the crust would just separate. I would just squeeze it and it would kind of work. But, would anyone know what I did wrong. I followed the recipe exactly. Thank you!

5. Abby on June 16, 2018 at 11:19 am

Thank you Sally for this easy recipe 🙂 Every cheesecake I have ever attempted has been a complete disaster. I made this today and it looks beautiful. I am making a 2nd batch with slight modifications (crushed pistachios into the crust). For UK readers like myself, I would recommend mixing the cream cheese and sugar only until combined. Use a spoon as the handmixer can quickly make the mixture runny, you want it thick. When adding the remaining ingredients; same thing don’t over mix otherwise it becomes runny.

6. Kimberly Alcantar on June 19, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Can i use tartlet cups? Does it change the recipe?

• Sally on June 21, 2018 at 6:32 am

Definitely! Bake time may be reduced/increased based on the size.

7. Elizabeth Higgins on June 30, 2018 at 4:23 am

You are heaven sent, Sally! This mini cheecake recipe will surely be one of our all-time favorites! Imagine a bite-sized version of the classic cheesecake goodness that you can grab and munch any time you want. We may as well try all your topping suggestions and pick the best we love. Thanks for sharing!

• Sally on July 1, 2018 at 11:03 am

Let me know if you try the mini cheesecakes!

8. Chris on July 2, 2018 at 11:46 pm

Do the cheesecakes cool while in or out of the pan when on the wire rack? Thanks

• Sally on July 3, 2018 at 10:36 am

Hi Chris! I always cool them in the pan, but it really doesn’t make a difference.

9. Diana on July 13, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Hi sally can i use yogurt instead of the sour cream?

• Sally on July 17, 2018 at 10:03 am

Hi Diana! Yes, plain yogurt is a great substitution for the sour cream.

Reviews

1. Lina on May 5, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Oh my god… I just made these and they are AMAAAZING, I’ve never made cheesecake before cause I always thought it’s very time consuming and it kind of intimidated me to be honest. So I had to try this version right away, and I loved it, it’s soo rich and creamy and tastes amazing even without toppings. Thanks sally for another winner

2. Brenda on May 6, 2018 at 10:15 am

I made these last night for a Cinco de Mayo supper. I realized too late that I didn’t have the time or ingredients for any of my usual cheesecake toppings. I ended up topping each one with a spoonful of warmed red pepper jelly, and it was perfect. I also skipped the crust on 2 of the little cheesecakes so my gluten-free daughter-in-law could have some (didn’t have GF graham crackers on hand), and they came out fine. Great recipe, thanks!

3. Melissa on May 7, 2018 at 7:35 pm

Omg! These are the best mini cheesecakes I’ve ever had! I had a favourite recipe for years but this is our new favourite! The best texture and taste! I added a lemon blueberry compote on top and Wow! Thank you for all that you do Sally! My family is forever grateful to you for all these wonderful desserts!

4. Abby on June 16, 2018 at 11:19 am

5. Elizabeth Higgins on June 30, 2018 at 4:23 am

• Sally on July 1, 2018 at 11:03 am

Let me know if you try the mini cheesecakes!

Questions

1. Kiran on May 4, 2018 at 12:11 am

Hi….at what temperature the crust should be baked???

• Sally on May 4, 2018 at 5:41 am

350! (See step 1)

2. Carole on May 4, 2018 at 9:51 am

Perfect! There are only 3 of us, and 2 of us aren’t big cheesecake fans whereas the third one loves it. Do you have a recommendation for liners to use with these cheesecakes?

3. Meredith on May 4, 2018 at 10:58 am

When would you recommend removing the cupcake liners? After cooling the cheesecakes on the rack or after refrigerating them? I wouldn’t want to have issues with sticking. Thanks!

• Sally on May 7, 2018 at 10:19 am

After chilling in the refrigerator.

4. May on May 4, 2018 at 11:30 am

Hi Sally what if you want to make a 6 inch cheesecake? Is this recipe good for that size or should I double it?

• Sally on May 7, 2018 at 10:19 am

Hi May! I would double this filling for a 6-inch cheesecake. The crust, as written, should be plenty.

5. Ola on May 4, 2018 at 12:12 pm

Can the sour cream be substituted for yogurt?

• Sally on May 7, 2018 at 10:18 am

Yes, plain yogurt is great.

6. Abby on May 4, 2018 at 1:35 pm

I am loving the new site Sally! Cheesecake is one of my favourite dessert problem is every time I have made cheesecake it’s been a complete disaster but I am determined to give it a go. Thank you for including notes for non-US readers 🙂 the only challenge is block cream cheese – where on earth will I find that in the UK? Can I simply use philadelphia cream cheese?

• Sally on May 7, 2018 at 10:23 am

Hi Abby! I’m glad you are enjoying the new website design!

From what I understand, spreadable cream cheese sold in a tub in countries outside of the US is a little different from the spreadable cream cheese in the US. It’s thicker, sturdier, and more solid and should be OK to make cheesecake. I have no experience with it, but this is what I’ve heard from other non-US readers.

7. Lisa on May 4, 2018 at 8:17 pm

If I wanted more filling per cheesecake would you double filling recipe & double cook time? I have a 2” deep loose bottom 12 cup pan. Thanks Sally

• Sally on May 7, 2018 at 10:17 am

Hi Lisa! Yes, I would double the filling and the bake time will certainly be longer, but I’m unsure how much.

8. Jodi on May 7, 2018 at 10:41 pm

Hi Sally! I made these and they are delicious! I put about 2 tablespoons of batter in each one and baked them, but it seems like It could have held more. Would it hurt to add another tablespoon and just increase the baking time? I have an event coming up that I am going to make them for, but one of them to be nice and full. I probably did something wrong – but the taste was great!

• Sally on May 8, 2018 at 7:02 am

Hi Jodi! Feel free to add a little more batter to each mini cheesecake! The bake time will be slightly longer.

• Jodi on May 8, 2018 at 9:57 am

Thank you~and I love the new website!

9. Paulette Clemmons on May 13, 2018 at 11:16 am

I made these mini cheesecake cupcakes and they were delicious. Can I add chocolate to this recipe?

• Sally on May 14, 2018 at 6:17 am

Definitely! 1/2 cup of mini hocolate chips would be wonderful, but I haven’t tested this recipe with cocoa powder or melted chocolate.

10. Kathy on May 22, 2018 at 7:20 am

• Sally on May 22, 2018 at 9:51 am

Hi Kathy! See my recipe note to non US readers 🙂

• Jenni on May 23, 2018 at 2:35 pm

11. Ana Maria on June 5, 2018 at 4:30 pm

12. Kimberly Alcantar on June 19, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Can i use tartlet cups? Does it change the recipe?

• Sally on June 21, 2018 at 6:32 am

Definitely! Bake time may be reduced/increased based on the size.

13. Chris on July 2, 2018 at 11:46 pm

• Sally on July 3, 2018 at 10:36 am

14. Diana on July 13, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Hi sally can i use yogurt instead of the sour cream?

• Sally on July 17, 2018 at 10:03 am

Hi Diana! Yes, plain yogurt is a great substitution for the sour cream.