Wheat 2 Bread Tour in Kansas!

Kansas wheat field on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Last week I had the pleasure of joining other baking bloggers on a trip to Kansas during its wheat harvest. The trip was in partnership with Kansas Wheat and Red Star Yeast. On the trip, farmers shared their stories, we rode in a wheat combine (the massive machine that harvests wheat), toured a flour mill, discussed yeast, visited the Kansas Wheat Innovation Center, and baked bread with Zoe from Zoe Bakes. It was a lot packed into only 2 and 1/2 days! And Kansas was very toasty.

Also on the trip: Stefani from Cupcake Project, Lori from The Kitchen Whisperer, Kristin from Baker Bettie, Abby from Heart of a Baker, Annalise from Completely Delicious, Adriana from Adriana’s Best Recipes, Jamie from Love Bakes Good Cakes, and Jessica from A Kitchen Addiction.

Many of us had never been to Kansas or a wheat farm before, so this was a first for many. Our first stop was Scott Van Allen’s farm where we stood in the (very windy!!!) amber waves of grain learning about Scott and his story. The setting was beautiful. Scott, farmer and wheat commissioner, owns 2,500 acres of cropland. He raises drylands wheat and grain sorghum. Out of everything Scott owns and has done for the wheat industry, he’s most proud of his newly arrived granddaughter. I chatted his ear off about babies when riding in his wheat combine. ♥

Some facts we learned. (You can see these and more on the Kansas Wheat website.)

• One 60-pound bushel of wheat provides about 42 pounds of white flour. 42 pounds!!!!
  • 20% of all calories consumed on earth are calories from wheat.
  • Nearly one-fifth of all wheat grown in the United States is grown in Kansas.
  • Kansas has about 60,000 farmers.
  • 6 classes of wheat are grown in the US and Kansas produces 3 of them:
    • Hard red winter: grown in all Kansas counties. Strong gluten, high in protein. Used for yeast breads and rolls.
    • Soft red winter: grown in the eastern part of Kansas. Used for flat breads, cakes, pastries and crackers.
    • Hard white: grown in the western and central parts of Kansas. Used for yeast breads, hard rolls, tortillas and noodles.
  • Winter wheat is planted and sprouts in the fall, becomes dormant in the winter, then grows again in the spring and is harvested in early summer. We harvested hard red winter wheat.

Later in the day we visited Farmer Direct Foods, a cooperative where wheat kernels are stone-ground into flour. There wasn’t great lighting inside the mill, so I didn’t snap many pics. We spoke with CEO Bob Morando, who is wildly passionate about milling quality wheat. The wheat milled by Farmer Direct Foods is grown and harvested by a selection of experienced producers. One of its largest customers is King Arthur Flour, the flour you know I love and use! Each year, they mill 10 millions pounds of flour for KAF.

The next day we enjoyed breakfast at Radina’s Bakehouse before visiting the Kansas Wheat Innovation Center. At the center, we toured greenhouses and learned about the history of wheat. Built by the Kansas Wheat Commission, the facility is dedicated to wheat research so farmers can produce the best wheat possible. It’s home to the Wheat Genetics Resource Center where wheat genetic studies are conducted. All of this was pretty advanced, so in an effort to not totally butcher any of the information– read more about the Wheat Genetics Resource Center (and also here). What I found most interesting was their greenhouse devoted to ancient grains, some dating back 10,000 years.

Let the baking begin! The second part of the day was devoted to learning about the National Festival of Breads (LITERALLY A FESTIVAL OF BREAD. WE ALL MUST GO.) and baking with Zoe Bakes! Zoe taught us her totally casual approach to bread baking, a method she writes in depth about in her series of cookbooks and corresponding website, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I first met Zoe back in 2014 and was even more excited this time as I have more baking practice under my belt. She is an absolute pleasure and one of my biggest inspirations. The afternoon spent with her and other talented bloggers was a dream come true.

The secret behind Zoe’s bread baking? A lean freezer-friendly homemade dough stored for up to 2 weeks. Mix, refrigerate, then shape and bake an array of different breads. You 100% need the original cookbook. She signed my copy!!

This was all made from one dough:

We also prepared a sweeter dough with eggs + butter to make a variety of sweets like raspberry cream cheese braid, doughnuts, star bread, and babka. The raspberry cream cheese braid was my favorite, but the star bread was most fun to prepare. Mostly because I had no idea how EASY it was! I’ll share some recipes inspired from the trip soon.

All of our delicious creations were prepared with Red Star Yeast. Red Star Yeast (RSY) has been one of my clients for almost 6 years. I’m very selective about the brands my business promotes, so you know that when I work with a company– I’m a major fan.

I thought I knew everything about yeast, but the time spent with them was as fun as it was eye-opening. I asked members in my Facebook group if they had any questions I could relay to RSY and here are the answers. (I couldn’t get to all of the questions, sorry!) Thank you for submitting your questions, bakers!

1. Can I store yeast in the freezer? Yes! Dry yeast can be stored in the freezer; both gals from RSY actually recommended it! Place it towards the back of the freezer so it’s not exposed to temperature changes when you open the door. Measure the amount you need and set it on the counter for 45-60 minutes before using. The colder it is, the longer it will take to “get going.” 🙂
  2. Refrigerate or freeze after opening? Dry yeast is perishable. Once your package is opened, the yeast must be refrigerated or frozen in an airtight container. Use within 4 months if refrigerated and 6 months if frozen.
  3. Explain the different types of yeast! There are 3 main types: fresh yeast, active dry yeast, and instant (quick rise) dry yeast. Fresh yeast is sold as cream, crumbled, compressed, or as cake yeast. It has a short shelf life and is only sold in limited markets. The 2 types of dry yeast (active and instant) are much more common and what I personally use in all my recipes. Active dry yeast has a moderate rate of rising and instant dry yeast has a faster rate of rising. Active dry and instant yeast can be used interchangeably in recipes (1:1); just expect a faster rise with instant. More info here.
  4. What is “proofing” yeast? Proofing yeast is sometimes a step in a recipe. This step is basically just “proving” that the yeast is alive and active. You dissolve the contents of the packet in warm water/milk with 1 teaspoon sugar. After 5-10 minutes, the mixture should be bubbly. If used before the expiration date, this step isn’t necessary with modern active dry or instant yeast.
  5. What is a typical yeast to flour ratio? One packet of yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons) will raise up to 4 cups of flour.

Lots more are answered on the Red Star Yeast FAQ page. 🙂

My time in Kansas not only with these brands, but in the company of fellow passionate bakers, is an experience I’ll always cherish. I’m so grateful for the opportunities my career has provided and even though it wasn’t easy being away from Noelle, it was well worth the trip. Many thanks to Kansas Wheat, Red Star Yeast, Scott Van Allen, Jill Ladd, Jenny Goering, Zoë François, and everyone else on the trip!

Comments

1. Heather Yates on June 22, 2018 at 3:04 am

Ahhh Sally!! I’m from Kansas (Wichita to be exact)! Crazy to think you were in my neck of the woods learning about the wheat farming I grew up with. Hope you enjoyed your stay! 🙂

• Sally on June 22, 2018 at 3:26 pm

It was such an amazing trip! I learned so much about wheat growing and farming!

2. Victoria S on June 22, 2018 at 8:29 am

Right after the picture of Scott was a picture of the wheat and my first thought was, “wow, I did not expect that man to have such a pretty manicure!”
    That star bread is gorgeous, I love it!

• Julie on June 22, 2018 at 9:01 am

I had the same thought!!

• Sally on June 22, 2018 at 3:26 pm

Hahahaha! 🙂

3. Elodie Jones on June 22, 2018 at 8:33 am

How exciting that you were able to see a fascinating process that we Kansans call “harvest.” It truly is amazing how passionate every contributor is (farmer, baker, consumer) regarding wheat’s farm to table process. Thank you for highlighting our state!!
    Happy baking,
    Elodie Jones
    Hays, KS

PS, I was in Costa Rica last week, so I missed the lovely KS wind, but this week is treating us highs in the 80’s & less than a breeze! We have a joke in KS concerning the weather… just wait an hour & it will change!

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:28 am

I did notice the weather changed instantly. It was hot and windy one hour, then pleasantly cool the other!! It was a nice change because all I’m used to on the east coast in June is humid humid humid 24/7. Ha!

4. Hannah Lewis on June 22, 2018 at 9:12 am

This is so fun! What an awesome trip and so informative. 10,000,000 pounds of flour a year – CRAZY! Thanks for sharing, Sally!

• Sally on June 22, 2018 at 3:27 pm

I learned so much!

5. Liz Horne on June 22, 2018 at 9:25 am

Hi Sally. The pictures look great. I was invited to be part of the event too, but I wasn’t able to attend. Huge disappointment, but it’s so great to see your photos. Thank you for sharing.

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:28 am

Hopefully there is another event sometime!

6. Debbie Elder on June 22, 2018 at 9:25 am

Love the news that you got to spend some time in my beautiful home state, Kansas. Your braided bread looks fantastic and I can’t wait until you share recipes and other tips on how you make this gorgeous bread.

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:29 am

Thanks Debbie! I can’t take credit for that braid; Zoe assembled it! But MAN it was delicious.

7. Deanna King on June 22, 2018 at 9:46 am

Hot and windy! That is exactly what is needed to cut our wheat for best product. Our wheat did well in south central Kansas.

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:29 am

Yes, that’s what I learned!

8. Hayley Morrin on June 22, 2018 at 10:15 am

Your photos are so gorgeous, Sally. Not only of the baked goods you ladies made but of the wheat and the farm itself, amazing! So interesting to hear your experience there and some of these cool yeast/ wheat facts 🙂

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:30 am

It was a lot of fun!

9. shawnna Griffin on June 22, 2018 at 10:38 am

hey girl- what a cool trip!

• Sally on June 22, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Thank you!

10. Kim Fritzemeier on June 22, 2018 at 11:22 am

Thanks for coming to Kansas! We are wheat farmers in central Kansas and are glad you got a glimpse into how we help feed the world. Thanks for sharing our message with readers. I’m looking forward to seeing the recipes.

• Jessica on June 22, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Are the farmers Organic?

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:30 am

Thanks Kim!

11. Jack Clark on June 22, 2018 at 3:16 pm

Thanks Sally for sharing your Kansas experience. Very informative and enjoyable to read! (As always)

• Sally on June 22, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Thanks so much, Jack!

12. Lisa Keys on June 22, 2018 at 3:56 pm

I had the good fortune to win the NFOB in 2013 and enjoy a similar tour. I love that each bag of KAF can actually be traced back to the farm where the wheat was grown. So much care and pride!

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:31 am

What a HUGE accomplishment, Lisa! Congratulations! What was your recipe?

13. Frannie on June 22, 2018 at 7:24 pm

I live in Kansas and the last few weeks have been unusually hot – thanks to global warming. I hope you have some positive thoughts on our fine state other than “toasty” and “windy”. Come back & spend some time in Kansas City. There’s lots to see besides wheat.

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 7:29 am

Hi Frannie! So many positive things! That was simply the weather I experienced. 🙂 I hope from my post you see how much I enjoyed my time spent in Kansas. This was a work trip, so our itineraries were planned out for us; wheat farms were the focus. I would love to explore more that your state has to offer someday!

14. Kathleen on June 22, 2018 at 8:37 pm

What a great opportunity for you Sally! Thanks for sharing this experience through words and pictures!

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:31 am

It was a wonderful week!

15. Theresa on June 22, 2018 at 9:34 pm

I really enjoyed this post! Very informative and it sounds like you had a great time! May God bless our farmers. I grew up on a farm and my oldest brother is a dairy milker. Farmers work incredibly hard with many challenges. We often take them for granted. Looking forward to your future posts on the recipes you’ve learned!

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:32 am

Glad you enjoyed it. I wish I could’ve spent more time there, but I’m excited to share recipes inspired from the trip!

16. Lydia on June 23, 2018 at 12:36 am

Hi Sally! I loved hearing about your trip, and that star bread looks amazing.

I thought I’d let you know that at the bottom of the post is some funky text where a link should be. Right above the “previous post” picture.

It looks like this:

Posted in

Have a great day! 🙂

• Lydia on June 23, 2018 at 12:37 am

Well it fixed it in my comments lol. If I could screen shot it and post it here I would.

• Sally on June 23, 2018 at 8:33 am

I can see the exposed code on the blog post and my development team is looking into it! Thanks Lydia!

17. Kristie W. on June 23, 2018 at 5:41 am

This was very interesting and informative to read. The star bread looks really neat!

18. Kristin on June 23, 2018 at 10:22 am

Really enjoyed this trip and getting to know you Sally! ❤️

• Sally on June 25, 2018 at 9:49 am

Same here! It was wonderful spending time together!

19. Daisy on June 23, 2018 at 12:28 pm

So interesting! However I worry about pesticides in Big Agriculture’s products and only buy organic flour. I use Whole Foods’ brand.

20. Fran on June 23, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Sally – I am really sorry I missed you – I teach flour milling at Kansas State, and by the time I saw you were at Kansas Wheat I had already missed you! I love you recipes and would have loved to meet you! Oh – Kansas is always very warm and windy during the summer, no global warming to it. That hot wind is perfect for ripening the wheat.

• Sally on June 25, 2018 at 9:45 am

That would have been fun, Fran! Sad to have missed you.

21. Heidi on June 23, 2018 at 8:23 pm

Sally what a great trip and pix. I took a similar trip with a group of registered dietitian bloggers a few years ago and it was so much fun and so educational. Learned a couple of tricks while there that improved my homemade pizza dough tremendously. :o)

• Sally on June 25, 2018 at 9:38 am

Yes, I agree! I have a much better grasp around bread baking!

22. Mirjana on June 25, 2018 at 1:50 am

This trip sounds so exciting and even more educative! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! <3

• Sally on June 25, 2018 at 9:20 am

Thanks Mirjana! My pleasure!

23. Michelle on June 26, 2018 at 8:16 am

Dan Farber’s book, The Third Plate, has a really interesting chapter on wheat farming in the US and where it’s headed in the future! A great read that would probably relate to a lot of what you learned!

• Sally on June 26, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Thank you for the thoughtful recommendation, Michelle!

Reviews