I’m finally breaking in my new donut pan! I’ve always been a jelly donut person. Sweet powdery sugar, warm fluffy dough, luscious fruity jam. But after making my first batch of baked donuts, I may be seriously reconsidering that.
These donuts are fantastic. Baked moist banana bread. Rich, smooth dark chocolate. And sprinkles. Ohhh the sprinkles. They just make everything better!
And did I mention? These are relatively healthy. Of course that’s a relative term, but compared to fried donuts, I’d say these aren’t so bad! The donuts are whole wheat and obtain most of their moist texture from mashed bananas instead of butter. There’s a touch of oil, but not much.
They are so soft and cake like, yet much healthier than your traditional donut.Print
Soft and cakey banana bread donuts topped with a decadent dark chocolate glaze.
Banana Bread Donuts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (1 medium banana)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla 0% Greek yogurt (or any vanilla or plain yogurt)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
Dark Chocolate Glaze
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- optional: chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray donut pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together the egg and sugar for about 4 minutes until light in color. Stir in the banana, oil, vanilla and yogurt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Slowly pour dry mixture into wet mixture. Stir together until just combined (do not overmix).
- Using a piping bag or a ziplock bag with the corner cut off, pipe the batter carefully into prepared donut pan making sure each cavity is only 2/3 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes (donuts should be fluffy and should spring back when touched – mine took exactly 10 minutes). Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan, about 5 minutes.
- While the donuts are baking or cooling, melt the chocolate chips, corn syrup, amd butter together in a small bowl in the microwave (about 30 seconds). After the donuts have cooled for 5 minutes, dip the tops into the chocolate glaze and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Larger Batch: Donuts are best served fresh the same day. This recipe only yields 8-9 donuts, so feel free to double or triple if making for a group.
- Recipe adapted from Top with Cinnamon.
Keywords: banana bread donuts, chocolate glazed banana donuts