How to Make Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Learn how to make crisp sweet potato fries at home. Baked, not fried – so you can feel good about eating them!

Learn how to make crisp sweet potato fries at home. Baked, not fried - so you can feel good about eating them!

I have a confession.

I am not only addicted to desserts; I have a serious obsession with sweet potato fries. Well, if we’re being honest – I have an obsession with ALL things sweet potato. Baked sweet potato wedges, sweet potato casserole, sweet potato chips, sweet potato chili, and my mom’s brown sugar glazed sweet potatoes. (<- my favorite thanksgiving side dish.)

I make baked sweet potato fries at home all the time. Since they’re baked and not fried, I feel good about snacking on them or serving them up with dinner. The “recipe” is so simple, I never thought to share it on my blog. But the time has come; I can no longer keep my love for these cinnamon-spiced fries a secret.

{polish: Essie “For the Twill of It”}

The first step is to start with some sweet potatoes. The amount of potatoes depends on how many fries you want to make. For the two of us, I always use 2 very large sweet potatoes. Sometimes three, which makes a ton of fries. I’ve never complained about snacking on the extra sweet potato fries, that’s for sure.

If you’re baking for just yourself, I’d use 1 large sweet potato. If you’re making the fries as a side dish for a family of 4+, I’d use 1 small size sweet potato per person depending how hungry you are.

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries. Easy, healthy, + cheap. | sallysbakingaddiction.com

Wash, peel, and chop the sweet potatoes up into french fry shapes with a very, very sharp knife. When I first started making these fries at home, the shapes of my fries were all over the place. I didn’t cut them very neatly at all. But I’ve picked up on french fry shaping; it takes practice. They all won’t be perfect.

I like to cut the fries to be a little thin. Not shoestring-style and not too thick. About 1/4 inch wide. Like so:

Here’s a trick I’ve learned over the years:  toss your fries into a touch of cornstarch right after you slice them. This creates a very thin layer of coating and help the fries get crispy in the oven. To coat, toss the fries and cornstarch in a large bowl or throw both into a large ziplock bag and shake shake shake. The second option is obviously more fun. You want cornstarch to go onto the fries before the oil and the spices or else your fries will have large white lumps and taste like cornstarch.

After they’re coated with cornstarch, sprinkle with a touch of olive oil (or coconut oil) and cinnamon-sugar. The oil will help your fries crisp up in the oven.

Instead of coating in cinnamon-sugar, sometimes I sprinkle the fries with a touch of salt and cayenne pepper. Or just simply sprinkle with salt. The spice is totally up to you and what you like.

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries. Easy & cheap. | sallysbakingaddiction.com

Line the fries up on a Silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Try not to crowd them and make sure they have a bit of space in between each other. The less fries on the pan, the better. Too many fries shoved together and they’ll just steam – not bake.

Bake for 15 minutes at 400F degrees. Remove from the oven and flip them over. Bake for another 10-15 minutes. Make sure to rotate your pan during the bake times or else you may get some burnt ends. My oven has hot spots, so I always make sure to rotate the pan.

Here’s another trick that I learned after making my baked apple chips. Turn the oven off completely and crack open. Keep the baked sweet potato fries inside and allow to sit there for about 30+ minutes. Sitting in the oven as it cools down, rather than sitting at room temperature, will help your fries get crispier. The crispier, the better in my opinion!

Obviously you may not have time for that step, so it’s not mandatory. But I try to plan ahead so I have time. No matter what you do though, some fries will still be soft. There is just no way around it with sweet potatoes because of their moisture content. Using a couple of these tricks certainly helps in the crisp factor though.

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries. Simple and healthy. Recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Now it’s time to gobble them up.

I love making these because sweet potatoes are (1) cheap (2) readily available year-round (3) nutritious (4) don’t spoil quickly (5) easy (6) delicious.

The second I was finished with this photoshoot, I downed the fries in minutes. I honestly don’t even think I took a breath of air. I could live on sweet potato fries for the rest of my life. I love their crispy ends and soft centers!

PS: Did you know that 1 sweet potato contains over twice the amount of vitamin A you need for the day? Yeah. And trust me, it’s easy to eat more than one sweet potato worth of these fries!

clock clock icon cutlery cutlery icon flag flag icon folder folder icon instagram instagram icon pinterest pinterest icon print print icon squares squares icon

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

• Author: Sally
  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Cook Time: 30 minutes
  • Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
  • Yield: serves 2-4
  • Category: Appetizers
  • Method: Baking
  • Cuisine: American

Description

Crispy edges, soft centers, nutritious, and delicious. Baked, not fried – so you can feel good about eating them!

Ingredients

• sweet potatoes – 1 per person
  • 2 teaspoons of cornstarch per large potato
  • 1 Tablespoon of olive oil (or coconut oil) per large potato
  • spices: cinnamon-sugar or salt, cayenne, curry, pumpkin pie spice, garlic – anything you please

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  2 large sliced potatoes are usually too crowded on 1 sheet, but it depends on their size. You may need an additional sheet. Set aside.
  2. Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut off the ends. With a *very* sharp knife, cut the potatoes into thin slices about 1/4 inch wide. Place in a large bowl or ziplock bag and toss with cornstarch. You want a nice thin coating. Pour the potatoes into a strainer to get rid of any extra cornstarch. Discard the extra cornstarch out of the mixing bowl too. Place potatoes back into the bowl and add the olive oil and seasoning(s) of choice.
  3. Line the sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet. Try not to crowd them or else they won’t bake, they’ll just steam. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip. Place back into the oven for 10-15 more minutes. Make sure to rotate the pan to avoid uneven browning. Don’t fret if the edges are a little brown, they will taste more caramelized than burnt.
  4. Turn the oven off and keep the fries inside as the oven cools down for about 30 minutes. This step will help the fries get crispier. Enjoy immediately.

Keywords: baked sweet potato fries

1. Definitely will try these. You may like my recent post of sweet potato burritos!

1. I have to check it out! Sweet potato burritos sounds amazing Lori.

2. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says:

Sweet Potato Fries are one of my favorites! They are one of the only foods I ‘m willing to get at a restaurant that is fried. I can’ never resist them. Love that you keep the door opened a crack for 30 min to get them extra crispy!! Awesome idea!!!! Love the recipe!

1. Jennifer, I’m just like you. I’ll eat them even though they are fried and I typically fare away from fried foods (so I can one of my desserts, of course). Try the cracked door open trick next time.

3. Jamie @lifelovelemons says:

Ok, totally putting cayenne pepper on my fries next time I make them. Which will probably be tonight 😉

1. I love them with a lil’ spice. 😉

4. Mary Frances @ The Sweet Tooth Life says:

Cornstarch – secret ingredient for everything! I tried this last year and it didn’t work –

1. Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Life says:

(sorry about that) they didn’t work, but I really want to try yours. I still love sweet potato fries and would love to have them at home – yours looks so crispy! And I adore the spice combo. I’ll have to try again:)

1. Try them again Mary Frances! With cornstarch, spreading the fries out so there’s enough space between them, and keeping them in the oven as it cools down. All help the crispiness!

5. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says:

I loooooove sweet potato fries! These look awesome!

6. Consuelo @ Honey & Figs says:

Mine never come out that crispy. Thanks for the cornstarch tip, I’m definitely trying it next time I make them! Yours look out of this world awesome, I don’t even know how you managed not to eat them all while you were taking the photos 😉

1. Consuelo – I kept reaching for one, then another, then another when I shot these. I had to keep several napkins around haha! Hope you try the cornstarch.

7. Like you I LOVE, LOVE sweet potatoes and pick them over regular white any time. Don’t you get upset when you are at a restaurant and they don’t have them on the menu or what’s up with $2.00 more for sweet potato fries! Looking forward to making these at home tonight. Thanks.

1. Maria – YES. The more expensive sweet potato fries. What’s up with that?

1. Tried this recipe in two batches. The first batch I did not use your open oven tip as I was hungry and my steak was ready. WIth the second batch I took your advice and left the oven door open. Ahhh…they were so much better and crispy. As full as I was from my dinner, I found some room for the second batch before my daughter eat them all. Finally crispy sweet potato fries! Thanks.

8. Erin | The Law Student's Wiferin says:

I’m obsessed (OBSESSED!) with sweet potato too, and I’d thought I’d heard every trick for crispy fries, but the oven cracked open is a new one. Looks like I need to bake a pan (or 7) to ensure I master it 😉

1. Yes! Try the oven trick – it does wonders, Erin!

9. I love ketchup, too….my kids laugh at me for how much ketchup I use:) Can’t wait to try these fries!

1. My entire family thinks it’s gross how much I eat. Kevin HATES it.

10. I am so with you, I love sweet potato anything and now the is is fall (ok almost) I can start going sweet potato crazy soon! Can’t wait!!

Love these skinny fries and how perfectly crunchy they look! Need them for snacking today!

1. Tieghan, I have NO doubt in my mind that you will create some fantastic recipes using my favorite potato. 🙂 I can’t wait to see it all!

11. Eva @ Eva Bakes says:

Every time I’ve made sweet potato fries, they have been too soggy. I need to try the cornstarch trick. Looks like cornstarch is the magic ingredient in just about everything these days, right?

1. Try the cornstarch and try leaving them in the oven like I do!

12. I have been making sweet potato fries for years. I love mashed sweet potatoes on my shepherds pie instead of regular mashed potatoes. Honey mustard makes a great sauce for sweet potato fries! I am the condiment queen too!

1. Happy I’m not the only condiment queen. 😉

13. LOVE sweet potato fries! I’ll definitely be making these. Never thought of putting teh cinnamon directly on–I’ve always mixed the cinnamon into the sour cream (my SPF dip of choice), which renders the sour cream only good for dip. I’ll have to put it on the fries next time!

1. I love sour cream – I should try that Laura!

14. I am a little bit obsessed with sweet potatoes, too! 🙂 These look awesome! I’ve always done the cornstarch thing but I have to try your oven trick… so smart! Your photos of these little guys are beautiful!

1. I had a feeling you love sweet potatoes as much as I do, Erin!

15. I will buy or order a sweet potato over white potatoes any day! Love how that have that hint of sweetness but still have the starchiness of a potato. I have not tried baked fries before but these look great!!

1. Same here! I prefer sweet over white. Obviously. 😉

16. Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen says:

Brian and I both LOVE sweet potato fries, but I could never figure out how to make them crispy in the oven! Thanks for this post- i’ll definitely be making these in the near future!

1. Great! I hope you both enjoy your next batch Faith.

17. I like fries any which way and sometimes I think it is because I crave the ketchup and salt. Love the cornstarch idea. Good post. thanks!

1. Oh Abbe, I definitely eat fries for the ketchup!

18. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen says:

Sally, I share the same obsession with sweet potatoes that you do. They’re so healthy for us, too. Thanks for sharing your baked version of fries!

19. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl says:

I made these last year but haven’t made them since.. looks like its time again! Thanks Sally!

20. I was actually craving sweet potatoes yesterday–BOOM, consider sweet potatoes on my grocery list now. 🙂

21. Eat Good 4 Life says:

No dessert? Just kidding 🙂 I love sweet potato fries. I have never made my own from scratch but I really should by looking at how easy they are. I shall make them soon!

1. Try them at home and let me know how you like them!

22. Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent says:

Love sweet potato fries.. Will definitely have to try this healthier recipe.

23. Ruthy @ Omeletta says:

Thank you for the great tips on keeping the fries nice and crispy! I loooove sweet potato fries- I’ve done a post on them too, and I love them so much I requested them to be served at our wedding!! These look so crispy and delicious and sweet and yummy, I can’t wait to make them again, and I love the cornstarch tip.

1. I love that you enjoyed sweet potato fries at your wedding Ruthy. You’re giving me ideas…

1. Just something else for you to think about as you are doing your wedding planning. My niece is getting married next weekend and one of her appetizer stations is a potato bar – yes, mashed white and sweet in martini glasses with many different toppings. I’ll report back after the wedding. You know it will be sweet potatoes for me!

2. A mashed potato bar – that’s going to be a HUGE hit! What a fun idea.

24. I love making sweet potato fries, they are soooo good! Better then regular old white potato fries, thats for sure. And such a plus that they are good for you 🙂

1. MUCH better than regular fries in my opinion. 😉

25. Connie | URBAN BAKES says:

I tried sweet potato fries for the first time about 3 yrs ago and I was impressed of how great it tasted however, I’ve never made it myself. I really like the fact these are baked and not fried (esp since most of us don’t actually have a deep fryer at home). Baked is always better, always! Healthier too! 🙂

1. Thanks Connie! And you’ve got to try these at home soon. Let me know how you like them!

26. Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef says:

this is pretty much how i make my sweet potato fries too! sometimes i add lemon pepper too… so good!

1. I’ll try lemon pepper sometime Sarah – thanks!

27. Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry says:

Sweet Potato fries are my weakness!

28. Carol at Our Sears Kit Home says:

I agree 100%! Sweet potato fries are fantastic. And Ketchup….I like to have some fries with my ketchup too. Crazy for ketchup.

1. Thank gosh I’m not the only ketchup crazed person here!

29. Averie @ Averie Cooks says:

Sally you are SO SWEET to link to my book! THANK YOU! 🙂 I have to say I did love those spicy peanut butter smothered fries and seeing that photo brings back memories 🙂 Don’t you love it when you can remember devouring a photo shoot, like, the instant it was over. Some of them, meh, whatever. But I do remember that one very well, and it’s been a good 18-20 mos now I’d imagine!

Anyway, your fries – love ’em! They look so crispy and I’m a fan of using cornstarch, too. It’s a miracle worker, from fries to cookies LOL And that’s a great tip about the oven door ajar for 30 mins to boost the crispy factor! Pinned!

1. I am regretting not smothering my last batch in peanut butter. Trying it next time. Or even a spicy PB dip. Mmm so good. And thank you for pinning, Averie!

30. Eve @ Ideally Sweet says:

We make chunky-sweet potato chips at home; peel and cut the potatoes and mix together oil, plenty of paprika and cumin to a paste. Coat the potatoes with the paste and bake! I feel soo happy (and kind of a cheater…) when I eat a food which is normally fried but baked instead like chips and doughnuts; I makes me smile! 🙂
    Sweet Sweet Potato chips = amazing!!

1. I have to try your chips next, Eve! Baked donuts and the like make me happy too. Delicious and better for the waistline!

1 2 3 4