Super-moist spiced pumpkin cupcakes that double as muffins. You can make this recipe with a variety of frosting choices or leave them plain and serve as pumpkin muffins. We make them all the time in endless ways – this is a versatile recipe to hold onto!
Meet my favorite pumpkin cupcake recipe. And guess what? This basic pumpkin cupcake recipe doubles as a pumpkin muffin recipe. Because what’s really the difference between cupcakes and muffins? Sky-high frosting? Streusel? Soft texture? This pumpkin cupcake/muffin recipe can do it all. I call it my “master pumpkin batter.”
Let’s get down to the nitty gritty here. What makes this pumpkin cupcake/muffin recipe my favorite?
- There is little sugar in the batter. Only 2/3 cup of brown sugar, which leaves enough room for sweet frosting, chocolate chips, streusel, filling, etc.
- There’s cinnamon – a lot of it!
- Oil makes them incredibly moist, without tasting greasy.
- The batter is so easy to make. No mixer required!
- There are endless possibilities to get creative.
Pile it with cream cheese frosting, like I do above. ↑
Or you can enjoy these pumpkin cupcakes with marshmallow frosting! ↓
And they’re amazing with chocolate buttercream! In this photo, I folded 1/2 cup (80g) mini chocolate chips into the pumpkin batter before spooning into the liners.
You could also turn this recipe into pumpkin cheesecake muffins.
And, finally, try them with the same cinnamon swirl frosting used on these snickerdoodle cupcakes and garnish with festive sprinkles.
Super-moist spiced pumpkin cupcakes that double as muffins. We make them all the time – this is a recipe to hold onto!
- 1 and 3/4 cups (219g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
- 2/3 cup (133g) packed dark brown sugar*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (227g) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners or spray with nonstick spray. This recipe makes 14 cupcakes, so you will have a couple cupcakes to bake in a 2nd batch.
- In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar and eggs together until combined. Whisk in the pumpkin, oil, milk, and vanilla until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do NOT overmix the batter.
- Spoon the batter evenly into 14 cups; fill the unused cups one-third full with water to prevent warping. Bake for 17-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Leftover cupcakes keep well covered tightly at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Prepare cupcakes 1 day in advance. Keep covered tightly at room temperature. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: You can find pumpkin pie spice in the baking aisle. Or you can make your own. For this particular recipe, blend 1/8 teaspoon each of ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground allspice. Do not leave out the 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon that is also called for in this recipe.
- Brown Sugar: I usually only use 1/2 cup brown sugar, but I find the pumpkin and spice flavor really excels with just a little more brown sugar. So, I prefer 2/3 cup.
- Frosting: See the post above for some frosting ideas and a wonderful pumpkin cheesecake muffin!
- Mini Cupcakes/Muffins: For around 30 minis, line mini muffin pans with liners or spray with nonstick spray. Prepare cupcakes as directed. Bake mini cupcakes for 12-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Be sure to check out my 10 tips for baking the BEST cupcakes before you begin!
Keywords: pumpkin cupcakes, pumpkin muffins