My Classic Chocolate Covered Pretzels.

Chocolate Covered Pretzels – so simple to make, yet always a crowd-pleaser!

My go-to treat for nearly every holiday :)

I like to cover them in rainbow sprinkles for birthdays

Chocolate Covered Pretzels - so simple to make, yet always a crowd-pleaser!

Chocolate Covered Pretzels - so simple to make, yet always a crowd-pleaser!

Orange, yellow, + black sprinkles for Halloween

Chocolate Covered Pretzels - so simple to make, yet always a crowd-pleaser!

Green + red for Christmas

Chocolate Covered Pretzels - so simple to make, yet always a crowd-pleaser!

And pink + red sprinkles for Valentine’s Day!

Chocolate Covered Pretzels - so simple to make, yet always a crowd-pleaser!

My favorite pretzels to cover in chocolate are pretzel rods or honey-wheat pretzel twists.  I find that pretzel rods or sticks are much easier to dip, but feel free to use any pretzel of choice.

You can get creative and use toppings other than sprinkles like crushed oreos, crushed candy canes, crushed nuts, or mini m&ms.  I just like to use an excessive amount of sprinkles. :)

Chocolate Covered Pretzels - so simple to make, yet always a crowd-pleaser!

Chocolate Covered Pretzels - so simple to make, yet always a crowd-pleaser!

PrintPrint SaveSave

Classic Chocolate Covered Pretzels

Ingredients:

• 8-10 ounces Bakers Baking Chocolate Squares - or any melting chocolate. Avoid chocolate chips, which are not meant for dipping.
  • 1 bag honey wheat pretzels (or 4 cups pretzel shapes of choice)
  • sprinkles

Directions:

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a microwave safe bowl, break up the chocolate bars into small pieces so they melt easily.  Microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Remove and stir for about a minute. The chocolate will continue to melt as you stir. If needed, microwave in 10 second increments until all is melted and smooth.

Take a pretzel and dip into chocolate, using a spoon to evenly cover 1/2 of the pretzel. Shake the pretzel a bit to remove any excess chocolate. Immediately cover the chocolate with sprinkles before the chocolate hardens. I usually do this over a paper plate, to catch the sprinkles that miss the pretzel.

Place each pretzel on parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate for about 10 minutes for the chocolate to harden. Once chocolate is set, cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Learn to swirl chocolate! For swirling the chocolate as shown in a few of these photos, melt 4 oz of semi-sweet chocolate and 4 oz of white chocolate separately.  In a shallow bowl or paper plate (I used a paper plate), pour your semi sweet chocolate into a puddle and top with the white chocolate.  Swirl your pretzel twist into the chocolates and top with sprinkles.

Sweet, salty, chocolatey, crunchy.

You cannot go wrong with a classic chocolate covered pretzel!

Chocolate Covered Pretzels - so simple to make, yet always a crowd-pleaser!

19 Responses to “My Classic Chocolate Covered Pretzels.”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yogaposted December 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm

yum…salty, sweet, sprinkles.

perfect~

Jo@foodepix.composted December 3, 2012 at 11:36 am

What a wonderful idea, these pretzels look really good. I would love for you to come and share your gorgeous pictures with us at foodepix.com.

Sarah | Shine Foodposted December 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I think I speak for many of us when I say I can’t get enough suggestions for easy treats like this around the holidays–and so pretty! We’re celebrating our favorite go-to holiday recipes this month on the Shine Supper Club and a recipe like this is just what we’re looking for. I hope you’ll join us!

• Sallyreplied on December 4th, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Hey Sarah! Thanks so much – yes, recipes like this get me through my holiday baking. It’s a savior. Thanks so much for the invite and comment!

Jenniferposted December 17, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Wow! That was a fast response. Thanks! You’re right, I see it there now. I guess it helps if I read ALL the directions first, right? Thanks, again!

Ashleyposted December 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Omg honey wheat pretzels are my all-time favorite, dipping them in chocolate would just shoot me straight into snack-heaven. I feel like these would also be good with peanut-butter filled pretzels, like Combos. I might have a to make a batch of each. Thank you Sally!

• Sallyreplied on December 21st, 2012 at 6:03 am

Hey Ashley! YES! honey wheats are my favorite as well!! I just bought a huge bucket of them. Sometimes it’s hard for me to stop snacking on them, they are SO good. honey wheat peanut butter combos – hooooooly moly. that sounds incredible. I think you’re onto something. ;)

Donna Howardposted February 8, 2013 at 6:37 am

Hey Sally, it’s me again, your lame friend that needs a step by step for everything!!! Okay with the rods, I tried it once, and I see I didn’t let the chocolate fall off and it got rather goopy so to speak! But the other thing, when I put it on the parchment paper, the backside was real ugly, flat and well ugly! Do you hold the pretzel a bit so it retains its shape? I told you I was lame!! But I want to try this — again!!!

You know I LOVE all your blog stuff. You are the best and a real help to me. One of these days I’ll surprise you!!

love
    donna

• Sallyreplied on February 8th, 2013 at 8:36 am

You’re not lame at all! No worries Donna. I’m worried about the chocolate you are using. Are you using chocolate made for melting? Or chocolate chips? Chocolate chips become hard and chunky and goopy and do not melt properly without some shortening. I would make sure you are following the directions on the melting chocolate’s package to make sure you are melting it properly. The underside of the pretzels do get a bit flat. After I let some chocolate fall off, I hold it up for a 1 minute then lay them down on the parchment paper. Get AS MUCH chocolate off as you can to avoid a pool of chocolate setting on the underside of the pretzel. I hope this helps!

Kendallposted June 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Sally, I love your site! Everything looks so yummy. I am looking for a no-bake recipe that 15 kids can create at the same time for a Vacation Bible School food craft. Our theme is Jerusalem 31AD, although it doesn’t necessarily have to apply to the theme. Any suggestions?

Chantel Fposted November 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm

If you pulverize candy canes and put them in white chocolate, and then dip pretzels, it is A-MAZING!! Seriously. My favorite is milk chocolate covered pretzel twists with crushed mint Oreos. YUM! Always a holiday favorite snack!

• Sallyreplied on November 19th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Yum! That sounds great!

Imaposted November 29, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Hi Sally. I love the ideas you gave for the pretzels. It brightens up the look of pretzels cookies instead of just snacking it without any dipping. However, may I know if by dipping it in chocs, will it shorten up the expiry date of the pretzels? How long will it able to be kept if I just put it in a container after dipping? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on November 29th, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Hi Ima! These pretzels last about 2 weeks in the refrigerator (covered tightly).

Karenposted August 16, 2014 at 6:11 am

How far in advance can these be made and how do I store them?

• Sallyreplied on August 16th, 2014 at 7:22 am

cherish garzaposted September 19, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Silly question…making these for a bake sale…best way to wrap 2 to a package?…..saran wrap?

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2014 at 8:02 pm