I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE chocolate covered pretzels, so I was a tad excited to bake with pretzel M&Ms this weekend. Have you tried them? They are simply amazing. Sweet, salty, chocolatey, and crunchy. Enough said.
I bought a bag the other day and brainstormed some ways to use them, besides just eating them straight from the bag. Which I did anyway. Can you blame me?
I decided on blondies. I love blondies – much more than brownies! I swear, it has nothing to do with my hair color.
I set out to bake a sweet/salty blondie. I began by browning some butter. I swear by browning butter – it adds so much depth and flavor to your baked good – so many caramel and butterscotch undertones. Brown butter is my kitchen’s secret little ingredient. And it’s so easy! It makes the house smell incredible as it’s browning.
You can read about my obsession to brown butter here.
I darn near fainted when I took my first bite out of a finished blondie! So soft and chewy – they completely melt in your mouth! The crunchy m&ms, the salty pretzels, buttery dough – my new favorite blondie. And they are SO easy to make.
I made these with butterscotch chips, instead of the M&Ms, as well. I am a complete fool for anything butterscotch! Here they are the second time I made them. If you’d like to make the butterscotch kind, just add 2/3 cup of butterscotch chips instead of pretzel M&Ms.
If you like salty/sweet, you’ll flip for these blondies.
makes 16 blondies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup pretzel M&Ms
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly. Remove from heat immediately when the butter begins to turn brown (about 6 minutes). Pour browned butter into large mixing bowl. Stir in brown sugar. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8x8 square baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To the cooled down butter/sugar mixture, stir in egg and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in pretzel M&Ms.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Allow blondies to cool for at least 1 hour and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
RECIPE SOURCE: sallysbakingaddiction.com
© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Do you like sweet & salty desserts? Here are some of my favorites!