Chewy Oatmeal M&M Cookies.

My favorite super chewy and soft oatmeal cookies loaded with M&M candies!

My favorite super chewy and soft oatmeal cookies loaded with M&M candies!

Oatmeal cookies, of any kind, will always be my favorite. The chewy, buttery oats and sweet brown sugar all packed into one perfectly soft cookie makes me weak at the knees. I made this new recipe last weekend when I had a request to bake some cookies with M&Ms. I recently made my Rainbow M&M Cookies, so I wanted to whip up something a tad different. Oats to the rescue!

This oatmeal cookie recipe is easily one of my favorites because the cookies carry an ideal oatmeal cookie texture. A perfect textural balance, if you will. Soft and buttery in the center, chewy and somewhat crisp on the edges… something I find hard to master.

My favorite super chewy and soft oatmeal cookies loaded with M&M candies!

Cinnamon, brown sugar, and old-fashion rolled oats give the cookies a certain warmth and familiarity I associate with home. Your comforting cookie, indeed. And speaking of comforting, I’d like to add that the oats just cancel out the butter here, so let’s just consider these cookies a health food.

Chewy Oatmeal M&M Cookies

Yield: 20 cookies

My favorite super chewy and soft oatmeal cookies loaded with M&M candies!

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g)dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup  (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 and 2/3 cups (140g) old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (160g) mini M&Ms (or regular size)

Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla and mix on high until combined, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, toss the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together. Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Fold in the M&Ms. Dough will be thick. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.

Roll balls of dough (about 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie) and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. I pressed a few extra M&Ms into the tops of the cookies for looks. Bake for 10-11 minutes until very lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Cover cookies and store at room temperature for up to 1 week. Baked cookies and rolled cookie dough freeze well, up to 3 months.

Sally's tip:  The cookies will be very soft and may appear undone after only 11 minutes in the oven, but they will firm up as they cool.

I love to make these cookies around the holidays with festive M&Ms!

Try them with any colored candies.

Soft and Chewy Holiday Oatmeal M&M Cookies!

Here are some other oatmeal cookie recipes you may enjoy.

Thick Oatmeal Raisinet Cookies

Honey Roasted Peanut Butter Oatmeal Scotchies

Brown Butter Milky Way Oatmeal Cookies

Brown Butter Chunky Milky Way Oatmeal Cookies

100 Responses to “Chewy Oatmeal M&M Cookies.”

Shanna Johsnonposted December 4, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Why dark brown sugar?
    whats the difference?

Jennyposted December 9, 2014 at 7:37 pm

These cookies are great! I just baked them on the regular oven setting but was wondering if, in general, you use the convection or regular setting on the oven. Thanks – your recipes are so great!

Nicoleposted December 19, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I’ve made these before and they were delicious! I am making them today for a Christmas party but the I want to bake them on convection because I feel it makes a better cookie (soft center with crispy edge)!! Do you have a recommendation for baking temp and time? Thanks, Nicole

• Sallyreplied on December 19th, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Yep! Reduce oven temp by 25 degrees and bake for the same amount of time.

Meridethposted December 20, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I just made these for a holiday party and they are the best cookies I’ve ever made! Thank you!!!

Richardposted December 20, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Excellent recipe. Love these cookies with the mini M&Ms. Thanks Sally!

Kristieposted January 10, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I just made these tonight on a whim because I had some leftover M&Ms from the holidays kicking around that needing something done with them (so I didn’t chow down on them all in one sitting!) and they.are.incredible. My brother practically melted when he popped one in his mouth. Definite keeper right here, wow!

Sarahposted February 1, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I made these for the SuperBowl in Patriots and Seahawks colors- seriously one of the best cookie recipes I have ever made. They are flying!!! I can’t wait to use the oatmeal cookie base with different types of m&m and other additions. Thanks for this new staple!!!!

Michelleposted March 5, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I made this recipe tonight. Very tasty and east to do! Thanks for the recipe!

Angeliqueposted April 26, 2015 at 9:48 am

would you happen to have the nutritional value for this recipes? They look wonderful and would really like to make them!

lucyposted July 6, 2015 at 10:53 am

could i use maple syrup or honey in place of the sugars ? and possible a butter substitute ? like half nut butter or bananas ? would it work ?

Danaposted July 22, 2015 at 5:28 pm

These came out amazing! Some of them I over cooked a little so they were not as chewy but the rest were still chewy 2 days later. This is my new favorite recipe!

Tabethaposted July 27, 2015 at 6:43 pm

These were the best cookies I ever made! I’m so happy I had some leftover dough so I can make more! Thank you!! :)

Reneeposted October 17, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Hi Sally. Thank you for such beautiful pictures of the food u make. The old saying that you first eat with your eyes is so very true and that rings true for me when I stroll thru your recipes. Your pictures always make me wanna go in my kitchen and use my we’ll fairly new kitchen aid mixer that I recived for Christmas last year.  I do have a question about the recipe. Can u use light brown sugar, also can quick cooking oats be used and lastly can this recipe be doubled and if so is there any changes that need too be made? Thanks so much love your site I’m addicted lol.

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Hi Renee- thank you! You can use light brown sugar, I do not recommend quick oats as some texture will be lost but you can certainly use them if that’s all you have on hand, and you can double the recipe without any special changes.

Reneeposted October 18, 2015 at 10:19 am

Just wanted too say hi and thank you for all the wonderful recipes. I always end up coming back to your web site. Thanks again.

Rebeckaposted October 25, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I LOVE you for using grams. No need to use converters! <3

1. Pingback: coconut toffee oatmeal cookies. – sally's baking addiction

2. Pingback: cake batter white chocolate fudge.