Pineapple upside-down cake is an incredibly light, moist cake with a thick caramelized crust encasing juicy pineapples and sweet cherries. My recipe will have people BEGGING you for more. And the good thing is that it all comes from a box.
First, round up your ingredients.
Prepare the cake according to the box instructions, subbing the pineapple juice for the water.
Next, melt butter in a 9×13 baking pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Line the butter/brown sugar mixture with pineapples and maraschino cherries & pour the cake batter over the pineapples/cherries & bake according to the instructions on the cake box.
While it’s baking, the pineapple juices soak into the cake and the brown sugar/butter caramelize on the bottom to create a thick, irresistible sugary crust. Once it’s done baking, flip it over onto a large plate and watch the juices drip along the sides.
Who needs icing when you have caramelized, buttery pineapples?
You WON’T believe how good this cake is!
Makes 24 slices. Cake remains fresh and moist stored at room temperature for up to 3 days and up to 6 days in the refrigerator.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
- 1 jar (6 oz) maraschino cherries without stems, drained
- 1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist yellow cake mix
- Vegetable oil and eggs as called for on cake mix box
- Preheat oven to 350. In 13x9 inch pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Gently press pineapple slices on brown sugar. Gently press a cherry in center of each pineapple slice, and arrange remaining cherries around slices.
- Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to measure 1 cup. Make cake batter as directed on box, substituting pineapple juice mixture for the water. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake 42 to 48 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately run knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Place heatproof serving plate upside down onto pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake 5 minutes so brown sugar topping can drizzle over cake. Allow to cool & enjoy!
© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
If you like this cake, you must check out my Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake
And my Super Moist Carrot Cake