There’s also nothing like kicking off the summer with dense fudgy brownies, cupcakes, and cookie dough.
Step aside bikini…
These fudge brownie cupcakes are so chocolatey that your head will spin. They aren’t light and fluffy like regular cupcakes, nor are they as dense as brownies. But they are so rich, so moist, SO fudgy, and will practically melt in your mouth. Eating one is by far, the BEST chocolate experience I’ve ever had. Yes, the brownie cupcakes themselves are an experience.
Now, let’s move on to the frosting. I personally went NUTS over this frosting. It’s like pure (egg-free!) cookie dough, but smooth enough to slather onto a cupcake or a graham cracker or a pretzel (trust me).
I’m really just going to shut up with the blabber because… let’s face it, when you put a brownie & a cupcake & cookie dough together, there really are no words.
Like I said before, step aside bikini.
makes 8-9 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temp
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp milk (I used vanilla almond milk, but soy or regular would be fine)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper cups.
- Melt butter in the microwave in a large microwave safe bowl. Mix in the sugar until smooth and microwave for about 1 minute. Stir the mixture until smooth again. Whisk in the vanilla and eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together the salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, and flour. Slowly add to the wet ingredients and stir until completely combined.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake in the prepared muffin tin for about 8-10 minutes (mine took a little under 9 minutes). Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: With an electric or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar at medium speed. Add the vanilla and beat well. Stir in the flour and salt until doughy. Stir in the milk and beat until fluffy. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Frost cooled cupcakes.
*I find these cupcakes are best served cold. I kept mine in the fridge. It also helped to avoid the cookie dough frosting from melting.
*You could easily use boxed brownie mix as a shortcut, but you would need to adjust the frosting accordingly since the cookie dough frosting recipe below only makes enough for 10-12 cupcakes.
*Depending on how full you fill the muffin tins, you could get anywhere from 9-12 cupcakes. I filled mine about 2/3 full.
Adapted from Yammie's Noshery
© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Here are some more sweets from my kitchen you’d enjoy!