Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting.

Fudgy homemade brownie cupcakes with cookie dough frosting on top. One incredible dessert that you’ll want to make again and again!

Fudgy homemade brownie cupcakes with cookie dough frosting on top. One incredible dessert that you'll want to make again and again!

There’s also nothing like kicking off the summer with dense fudgy brownies, cupcakes, and cookie dough. Step aside bikini…

These fudge brownie cupcakes are so chocolatey that your head will spin. They aren’t light and fluffy like regular cupcakes, nor are they as dense as brownies.  But they are so rich, so moist, so fudgy, and will practically melt in your mouth. Eating one is by far, the best chocolate experience I’ve ever had. Yes, the brownie cupcakes themselves are an experience.

Now, let’s move on to the frosting. It’s like pure (egg-free!) cookie dough, but smooth enough to slather onto a cupcake or a graham cracker or a pretzel (trust me).

I’m really just going to shut up with the blabber because… let’s face it, when you put a brownie & a cupcake & cookie dough together, there really are no words. Like I said before, step aside bikini.

Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Brownie Cupcakes

• 4 ounces unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Ghirardelli)
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup (94g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Cookie Dough Frosting

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temp
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (140g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) milk (I used vanilla almond milk, but soy or regular would be fine)
  • 1 cup (180g) mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 325F degrees.  Line 12 muffin tins with baking cups or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  2. Melt the chopped chocolate and sliced butter together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each until completely smooth and combined.  Allow to cool for a few minutes.  Stir in sugar, then vanilla.  Add in eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Mix in the flour and salt.
  3. Pour batter into 12 muffin tins and bake for 20-23 minutes.  Mine took 22 minutes.  A toothpick inserted in the center will have moist crumbs.  Be careful not to overbake the cupcakes.
  4. For the frosting: While the cupcakes are cooling in the pan, make the frosting. With an electric or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar at medium speed. Add the vanilla and beat well. Stir in the flour and salt until doughy. Stir in the milk and beat until fluffy. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Frost cooled cupcakes.

Sally's Notes:

*I find these cupcakes are best served cold. I kept mine in the fridge. It also helped to avoid the cookie dough frosting from melting.

*You could easily use boxed brownie mix as a shortcut, but you would need to adjust the frosting accordingly since the cookie dough frosting recipe below only makes enough for 10-12 cupcakes.

Here are some more sweets from my kitchen you will enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Granola Bars

Cookie Granola Bars

Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

PB Frosted Brownie Cupcakes

Death by Chocolate Cupcakes

Death by Chocolate Cupcakes

Yes, this is cookie dough FROSTING!

145 Responses to “Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting.”

Briannaposted April 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm

If I don’t have only hand mixer is that ok??Also it doesn’t have a paddle attachment.

Stephanieposted April 7, 2014 at 2:04 am

Okay so this frosting is utterly delicious. I’m always struggling to find good recipes. This one is straightforward and gets to the point. It tastes EXACTLY like cookie dough. It’s SO good. Not good. Extravagant. If that’s how you spell it:) that’s how yummy it was. For me I didn’t have to refrigerate which surprised me because I usually have disaster floppy frosting. This one was perfect and firm. I love it!!!

Maureenposted April 26, 2014 at 4:22 pm

OMG, one bite of these and I was in heaven. Two of my favorite things combined together. Thank you Sally! I made these for my BFF’s birthday and some people even had two!

Lexyposted May 9, 2014 at 10:21 am

Just made this last night. Except I used a square baking dishes, as I do not have cupcake tins, I know, odd . It took about. 30-35 minutes.
    Incredibly sweet I must add.
    I put the frosting on when the brownies were slightly warm and it was still really good and didn’t melt off because it’s not really frosting it’s cookie dough. I don’t eat many sweets so that could hinder the fact I can practically feel cavities developing. They’re good cold too.
    My boyfriend said the same thing about sweetness, but our 2 year old loves the brownies. She’s funny.
    Delicious. For personal preferances, I may cut the sugar in the brownies next time.

SweetToothposted May 21, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Would it taste ok if I left the cookie dough frosting out? I’m afraid to try it as I never have had it before lol. Would the cupcakes on their own be fine?

• Sallyreplied on May 21st, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Yes – they would just be plain brownie cupcakes. Very good.

Camilleposted June 11, 2014 at 4:43 am

Love the brownie-cookie combo! one question though- can i substitute the melted chocolate with cocoa powder since that’s what I have on hand.. also, should i remove the butter since im using cocoa powder? thanks sally!

Leah Mposted June 20, 2014 at 9:49 pm

I know this is an old post, but I absolutely loveeeee these! I’ve made them at least three times in the past month! I especially just love the brownie/cupcake part, it’s utter perfection to me. I was wondering if I could double the recipe or something and bake it in a brownie pan instead of in a cupcake pan? Or would this recipe only work for cupcakes?

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 8:24 am

You may definitely double the recipe and bake as brownies in a 9×13 pan. About 40-45 minutes bake time (maybe more or less – all ovens vary). Enjoy!

Gemmaposted June 28, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Was told that I excelled myself after making these (have to admit I agree!) My sister has already demanded that I make them again for her birthday which isn’t until September!! Very yummy indeed and lots of cookie dough toping to go around

Nipaposted July 3, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Am I reading the recipe correctly? For the cupcake it needs 1.25 cup sugar but only .75 cup flour?

• Sallyreplied on July 4th, 2014 at 10:35 am

Yes. Brownie recipes typically have more sugar than flour to maintain density.

Momina Awanposted July 16, 2014 at 7:03 am

Omg! They are super amazing! *.* i’m 15 years old and i simply love your recipes :’D super yummy *.* whenever i bake these brownies… My whole family loves them. <3 and i simply would love to thanks you :'D x

Maggieposted August 6, 2014 at 11:45 pm

i only have mini muffin pans.. if i were to bake them in a mini muffin pan how long would it take?

• Sallyreplied on August 7th, 2014 at 7:03 am

I’m unsure exactly how long, Maggie. Considerably less time since they’re smaller.

Erinposted August 16, 2014 at 11:33 pm

OMG!!!! YUMMMY! Thank you so much!!!

Khatemposted August 30, 2014 at 6:54 am

Can we use normal sized chocolate chips instead of the mini ones?

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2014 at 2:18 pm

DDposted October 14, 2014 at 8:32 am

Hi Sally! Love this recipe so much :) Can the brownie cupcake recipe be used for regular brownies as well? Or would i have to alter something?

• Sallyreplied on October 14th, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Makes wonderful brownies (though sometimes I add another 2-3 ounces of pure chocolate when making brownies) – the bake time is around 35 minutes in a 9×9 baking pan.

Sherryposted November 22, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I was so excited to try this frosting. I read & reread the directions to make sure I followed it to a T. The frosting had a very sour flour taste to it. I had one of my kids taste it just to make sure it wasn’t me. He said it tasted funny. I dumped the bowl of frosting down the drain. Maybe the recipe calls for too much flour?

• Concettareplied on April 21st, 2015 at 8:35 am

Hi Sherry, I recently had a similar experience with a different recipe and realized my flour had gone bad. Apparently, flour spoils very easily! That could be the problem.

Tonyaposted January 10, 2015 at 10:14 pm

i was so excited about making these.Im very disappointed. It’s way too chocolate tasting.I think using brownie mix would make it better.

Amyposted February 21, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Hi Sally – first of all, thanks for all the wonderful recipes! I love everything I have tried.

I was wondering what you would recommend if I wanted to make these cupcakes, but instead of being chocolate/fudge brownies, make them a vanilla brownie cupcake? That’s quite the combination… could I just leave out the chocolate? I don’t want the pure cake-consistency (or else I would just make vanilla cupcakes!), I like the idea of a brownie/cupcake! Maybe add vanilla yogurt or vegetable oil? Anyways, I would appreciate your thoughts!

• Sallyreplied on February 21st, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Hey Amy! How about replacing the chocolate with white chocolate? I’m unsure how they will taste to be honest.

• Amyreplied on March 17th, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Thanks Sally! I was trying to avoid chocolate altogether (its for a friend… who doesn’t like chocolate – CRAZY) but if you’re unsure I’ll figure something else out! Thanks for responding so quickly.

• Amyreplied on May 27th, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Hi again, Sally!

Just wanted to let you know that I decided to use one of your vanilla brownies/blondies recipes and then just frosted them with the cookie dough frosting… HUGE HIT. I’m normally not a fan of frosted brownies because I think the frosting makes them too rich but… they were wonderful! Thanks for all of your great recipes!

Kelley Johnsonposted March 7, 2015 at 5:34 pm

This recipe help me win the 2015 bake-off in my music fraternity!
    About three weeks ago I made the recipe and went full-on “Slutty brownie” but deconstructed as a cupcake – I filled the brownies with an Oreo cream cheese frosting, and topped them with a mini Oreo to boot. The wow factor however was definitely this delicious cookie dough icing – seriously, SO GOOD! I love that it’s a little salty, just like cookie dough!

Kaylaposted April 24, 2015 at 3:16 pm

How would I change the recipe/how long would I bake it if I wanted to make a cake?

Sashaposted May 15, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Omg…… These are simply DELECTABLE.  Like wOw!!!!  How are these so good?!  I need to calm down.  Maybe I’m on some kind of chocolate high from eating one of these cupcakes just now, or maybe I’m slightly delirious because it’s almost midnight, but seriously I am feeling SO pumped.  These are just SO GOOD.  Perfect amount of density, amazingly moist, just sweet enough.  Thank you!!!  I made these without cupcake liners–just spread coconut oil on my tin, and they popped out nice and clean after 18 minutes of baking.  Amaze!!
    Oh, btw, I didnt make the frosting (I went with a lemon + lime buttercream frosting instead since my sister loves anything lemony and these were for her bday), but I’m definitely planning on making yours soon.
    Oh, and for any gluten-free homies out there, I made this with the King Arthur all propose GF flour and it worked swimmingly.
    Last thing: I added like 5 choc chips to each… highly recommend!

Sashaposted May 15, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Okay, so I just realized that by mistake I used 3/4 cups brown sugar (I read it off the frosting ingrediants) instead of the 1 and 1/4 cup granulated sugar.  They turned out to be AMAZING though.  I will definitely make them the same way next time, just because I don’t want to change anything about how they tasted!  They were that good!  Thought I’d write a comment in case anyone is interested in lowering the sugar content. Xo

Caseyposted May 30, 2015 at 6:06 pm

The frosting is outstanding! I honestly didn’t expect it to be so fluffy. I actually managed to frost 22 cupcakes with just one batch of the frosting.

Chelseaposted June 12, 2015 at 9:29 am

Any idea if the cookie dough frosting would freeze well? I’m making several different desserts for a friend’s wedding reception, squares and cupcakes, and it would be awesome if I could freeze these frosted cupcakes to save some time. Of course we’ll be frosting some the day before anyway, but maybe cookie dough frosting would freeze and thaw well? I’d appreciate your insight!

• Chelseareplied on June 12th, 2015 at 9:33 am

P.S. My wedding dessert pintrest board looks like a Sally’s Baking Addiction recipe index. :) I’ve been testing recipes and so far haven’t been able to freeze any, because they are just not lasting around here.

• Sallyreplied on June 12th, 2015 at 9:43 am

Chelsea, this frosting freezes well. However, it’s a very thick frosting, so make sure it is thawed completely overnight in the refrigerator. Then, bring it to room temperature before using. Beat in a drizzle of milk, if needed, to thin out.

• Chelseareplied on June 12th, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Bless you!

Jessyposted June 17, 2015 at 3:23 am

I followed this recipe and the frosting was full of big pieces of brown sugar, whenever I take a bite I can hear the sugar pieces cracking in my mouth. What could be the reason? Thanks :)

Toriposted June 28, 2015 at 5:39 pm

im not sure why my cupcakes came out a lot lighter in color then the ones in the pictures  any ideas?

Michelle Mospensposted July 12, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Hello Sally! May I share one of the cupcake photos on my blog and link back to you? I would love to feature in one of my ‘Friday I’m In Love’ posts! Thank you for your consideration. xo

• Sallyreplied on July 12th, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Yes that’s fine!

• Michelle Mospensreplied on July 13th, 2015 at 11:00 am

Thank you so much! xo

Melissaposted July 23, 2015 at 12:20 am

Could I use a boxed blonde brownie mix? Do you fill the cupcake up more before baking since brownies don’t rise that much?

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2015 at 9:30 am

Definitely! About 3/4 of the way full.

Melissaposted July 23, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Can you pipe the frosting? Maybe with the large round tip?

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Definitely! As long as the tip can fit the chocolate chips through.

Courtneyposted July 31, 2015 at 8:39 am

How would subbing in cocoa powder for the baking chocolate turn out? Making these today, trying to avoid having to run to the store :)

• Sallyreplied on July 31st, 2015 at 8:53 am

Not subs for each other, especially in brownies.

Kateposted August 7, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Hi Sally, I substituted the eggs with orgran egg replacer as I am allergic to eggs. I was really excited to make these but unfortunately the batter separated while cooking ( I think that’s what happened ) this happened the last time I made your brownies ! Do you have a suggestion to what I could do next time ???
    P.S we loved the frosting and ended up eating it with ice cream instead !
    Thanks Kate

• Sallyreplied on August 8th, 2015 at 8:05 am

I’ve never had luck using egg replacer in brownies. Eggs are crucial to the brownie’s structure (and batter!). How about a brownie-like muffin? You can use egg replacer in these.

gaurachandposted August 12, 2015 at 9:48 am

Surely I would like to try it