Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies.

A healthier option for peanut butter brownies. Super fudgy brownies made without white flour, butter or oil!

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies! Gluten-free, made with whole-grain oats, no flour, no butter, no oil, and with a ton of sugar substitute suggestions!  These are so fudgy, you won't miss the unhealthy ingredients!

Oh my word.  Do I have a treat for you guys today.

I honestly think I am dreaming because today not only am I bringing you the fudgiest, richest, softest, chewiest brownie I have EVER eaten,  I am bringing you a fudgy, rich, soft, chewy, and SKINNY brownie swirled with my one true love (sorry, Kevin): peanut butter.

Skinny & brownie in the same title is a tad ironic, but I am telling you friends… you are not dreaming.

As I begin to train for the Baltimore half marathon coming up in 4 months (anyone else out there running that?  let’s be friends), I knew I needed a little treat to put some pep into my running step.  Preferably something tasting sinfully chocolatey and smothered in peanut butter because, well… why not.

Most brownie recipes call for loads of butter or oil, white flour, excessive amounts of sugar, and 3+ eggs.  Hence, their wonderfully decadent + rich taste.  My skinny brownies, however, combine much healthier alternatives, making these brownies good enough to call breakfast!  (Yes, I had one for breakfast this morning before my run… thankyouverymuch!) Instead of clogging the brownies with butter and oil, which would inevitably slow me down and have me feeling lethargic, I loaded the brownie batter with low fat vanilla greek yogurt.  It gives these brownies that unbelievable moist and fudgy taste that I love in my favorite not-so-healthy chocolate brownies.

In fact, these brownies are so rich and fudgy that someone even told me they tasted like straight up chocolate/peanut butter FUDGE! I can’t even believe there is no oil, butter, or flour these!

In addition to the low fat greek yogurt, I used fiber-rich, whole grain oats instead of white flour – whole grain carbs are a perfect way to start your day and/or fuel a workout!  The recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of oats which are ground up into a flour.  A brownie’s fudginess directly relates to the amount of flour in the recipe.  And with only 1/2 cup of ground up oats in the entire recipe, you can imagine the density and fudginess of these babies!

My recipe has white sugar, but you could easily use 1/2 cup of honey instead.  Some readers have even used Splenda No Calorie Sweetener Granulated, Truvia, a mix of 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup honey, or even 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup dates instead of the 1 cup of white sugar. No matter how you chose to sweeten it, taste the batter to make sure it is sweet enough.

And to put these brownies completely over the top, I threw in a THICK peanut butter swirl because I firmly believe that there is nothing better in this world than chocolate and peanut butter.  Peanut butter is full of healthy fats and protein… perfect for shiny hair, glowing skin, and keeps your muscles workin’!

You will not believe these fudgy peanut butter swirl brownies are lightened-up! Learn how to make them at

So today, here is your recipe for what may the BEST brownie you’ll ever taste.  AND a brownie you can actually feel good about eating!

See more of my healthy recipes.

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

Makes 12-16 brownies. Full nutrition information available by visiting a calorie counting website and plugging in the ingredients. Make sure oats are certified gluten free if gluten intolerant.

• 3/4 cup (185 grams) creamy peanut butter (do not use natural, runny peanut butter or powdered "peanut butter")
  • 6 oz. low fat or fat free vanilla greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) skim milk (or almond milk)
  • 1 large egg (or 2 egg whites)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar  (see note above in post about substitutions)
  • 1/2 cup (42 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup (40 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 8×8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Place all of the ingredients except for the peanut butter into a blender or food processor. (Yes, a blender!) For easier blending, place the liquid ingredients into the blender first. Blend until mix is smooth and oats are ground up. You will have to stop the blender and scrape down the sides a few times.
  3. Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Batter will be thin. Microwave peanut butter for about 30 seconds. Drop melted peanut butter by spoonfuls onto the batter, swirling gently with a knife to create a marbled effect. (Try not to overmix!)
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Brownies will be extra fudgy, so be sure to wait until COMPLETELY cooled - I stuck mine in the refrigerator for 2 hours, which allowed them to be cut very easily. Cut into squares and enjoy!  Brownies stay fresh at room temperature for 2 days, and then can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after that. Brownies freeze well up to 2-3 months.

adapted from Dashing Dish

Skinny AND tasty is my specialty 😉

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Cupcakes

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Cupcakes-9

Peanut Butter Cup Granola

Skinny Frozen Peanut Butter Pie

Chocolate Chip Cookie Granola Bars

3 Ingredient Sugar Free Chocolate Bars (sugar free)

444 Responses to “Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies.”

Fatemaposted May 1, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I love me sime chocolate and peanut butter…can I use steel cut oats?

• Sallyreplied on May 1st, 2014 at 7:13 pm

That would be fine. Enjoy!

Annaposted May 1, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Hi! I’ve recently discovered your blog and am now IN LOVE with it! I tried these peanut butter swirl brownies, and they are amazing! Really easy to make too! The only hard thing indeed was waiting for them to cool before diving in!

Can’t wait to try your other recipes! :-)

Evelyn Bposted May 12, 2014 at 1:54 am

I made your somewhat similar peanut butter swirl chocolate snack cake from the cookbook today, and the one issue I had was that when I tried melting the peanut butter in the microwave, I think it got overcooked, then it was dry and crumbly and wouldn’t melt. I started that part over and melted new PB on the stove over low heat. When you melt PB in the microwave, do you do it at full power? I was using Skippy Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter.

• Sallyreplied on May 12th, 2014 at 8:53 am

Yes, I do it at full power. I’ve never had an issue. I know the stovetop works like a charm as well. All microwaves are different and quite temperamental when it comes to melting PB or chocolate.

• Evelyn Breplied on May 12th, 2014 at 11:57 am

Thanks for the response :-) I wonder if the fact that the PB was reduced fat affected how it melts. Aside from the mishap with the PB, I loved the recipe. The snack cake came out moist and delicious.

Robinposted May 23, 2014 at 10:41 am

Is it possible to use this healthy brownie without the PB as a base for other brownie creations, or is the PB essential to this recipe? I was thinking of making some healthy s’mores brownies and using this brownie base and perhaps some sort of marshmallow fluff/graham cracker swirl instead of the PB. Thoughts?

• Sallyreplied on May 23rd, 2014 at 12:16 pm

I’m sure you could Robin, I just prefer the brownie with peanut butter. Let me know what you try!

LaChelleposted June 20, 2014 at 7:54 am

I just made these brownies in search of a recipe that is healthy and delicious that my whole family would enjoy. I used Skippy All Natural PB, 1/2 cup stevia and about 1/4 cup honey. I loved it(especially the peanut butter!), my 8 year old daughter enjoyed it and my husband (hater of most things “healthy”) liked it and said he could eat them over the full sugar & fat alternative. Successes!

Thank you!!

Khadeejahposted July 21, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe. I really want to try it (#peanutbutterlover), but my brother has a peanut allergy. Do you think I can still make these without peanut butter?

Jaclyn looposted August 5, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Hello Sally! I want to make these for my friend’s birthday party but don’t have any baking powder. Could I sub in baking soda instead?

• Sallyreplied on August 6th, 2014 at 8:42 am

No. The two are not interchangeable. BP is a must here.

• Jaclyn looreplied on August 6th, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Alright, thanks! I suppose I’ll have to look harder for that baking powder.

Rosieposted August 18, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Absolutely gorgeous recipe! One of my favourites for my gluten free friends, the brownies still tastes so decadent but with much more of the good stuff. Thank you Sally! Love your healthy recipes just as much as the naughty ones!

Emilyposted August 20, 2014 at 6:02 am

I absolutely cannot wait to see how these go! Is it essential to use Creamy peanut butter? or can one use crunchy instead?

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2014 at 9:46 am

Crunchy would be fine, but you may have trouble melting and swirling it.

Elizabethposted August 29, 2014 at 9:43 am

Finally tried these last night and I love them! There was no way I could wait 2 hours so I stuck them in the fridge for 30 min and had a good gooey piece. This morning, they cut perfectly. Yum!

Kiriposted September 27, 2014 at 9:56 am

These are amazing! Can they go in the freezer?!

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Definitely. Up to 2-3 months.

• Jo Walesreplied on September 29th, 2014 at 4:11 am

So did you try freezing them Kiri?

Gabeposted September 28, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Hi, Sally! I made these last night, being very careful to stick to the exact measurements, and they came out wet. Not wet like seeping raw goo, but wet like a very dense wet sponge, almost. I even cooked them for 27 minutes, which is very unusual for me, as I almost always have to cut my bake-times shorter than the recipe calls for.

Do you have any ideas as to why this may have happened? Or is this just what these brownies are supposed to be like? I mean, I don’t find them particularly delicious as they turned out, but I’m also not accustomed to diet foods, so maybe this kind of thing is normal for a diet brownie. *shrugs*

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 11:50 am

Hi Gabe. I apologize for the delay responding. I was on vacation. How about you grind up the oats to make a flour and then add it to the blender as noted in the recipe? I fear your oats may not be soaking up enough moisture. Also, try adding 1 more Tablespoon of oats (to make the oat flour) as well – this should help!

Cathy D.posted September 29, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I can’t wait to try these as I have been doing the Wheat Belly Diet for 2 months now and loving it. My question is, can i use Coconut Flour or Almond Flour in place of the oats?

Elizabethposted October 10, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Hi Sally, can I substitute Kiefer for the yogurt or will it change the consistency? Its all that’s in the fridge. Thank you and love your blog!

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Hi Elizabeth – actually, Kiefer would be just fine. The brownies may take a little longer to bake.

Karlienposted December 15, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Hi Sally

This blog is amazing for me!.
    I am 23 years old and I only recently started getting into heavy cooking and specifically baking. PS. I found great passion in it!

As a 23 year old, I am not the richest of people (yet) – thus your Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies (I am a peanut butter freak) were affordable and easy for this beginner!
    Most of the ingredients were either in my kitchen and the adjacent very cheap in the store!

I would love to test many of your other recipes. but sometimes I cant afford all of them, I would love to be guided to your “young and poor” aimed recipes! Or maybe even create a section for the student-type?

Thank you so much for this recipe so far. I have changed peanut-butter lovers lives (haha!)

Sharonposted December 31, 2014 at 8:37 am

Hey Sally these look great! A lot of my friends have peanut allergies…can I sub in almond or hazelnut butter? And for flour, are there other gluten free flours that can be used such as almond flour maybe? Can’t wait to try.

• Sallyreplied on December 31st, 2014 at 8:50 am

I’m unsure about almond flour– I always just use the oat flour directed in the recipe. Another nut butter is fine.

Carlmieposted January 10, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Hey Sally! These look absolutely HEAVENLY and my boyfriend is a total chocolate peanut butter lover, I can’t wait to make these for him and the kids! I am actually thinking about making these TONIGHT and was wondering if I could sub the cocoa powder with melted semi-sweet chocolate chips instead…?

• Sallyreplied on January 11th, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Hmm. For these, I’m sure that would be fine Carlmie.

Seema Malikposted January 14, 2015 at 11:19 pm

So yummy! I didn’t have vanilla flavored yogurt, I only had plain, so I used that and added a teaspoon of vanilla extract. They came out moist and chocolatey and wonderful! I will definitely be making them again, but next time I think I’ll cut down on the peanut butter, maybe to a half cup.

kellyposted January 29, 2015 at 5:36 pm

I can’t wait to try these! Could you tell me how many calories are in each brownie, and also what the weight in grams of the yogurt is please?
    I’m from the UK so super excited that you have your recipes in grams as well as cups so I can make them!!
    Kelly x

Stephanieposted March 2, 2015 at 3:25 pm

How many calories per serving?

Helenposted March 5, 2015 at 4:47 pm

oh my!! I have just made these and they are immense!! How are these skinny.. That are so delicious! Thankyou for sharing your recipe xx

Jennaposted March 9, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Oh man! I just made these and used baking SODA instead of baking powder but didn’t catch it until they were done. I’m SO sad!!! The taste is still there, they are just an oooey gooey mess. Learn from my mistake people! Whoops! I will try again one day with baking POWDER! Any recommendations on how to salvage this? Maybe add to some ice cream???

Alyssaposted July 5, 2015 at 11:14 pm

Hi Sally! I was wondering whether to use bake or fan bake for these. These look awesome though! Can’t wait!

Leahposted July 6, 2015 at 12:26 am

I made these tonight and they’re so delicious and fudgy! Your recipes never fail me. I did actually use natural runny peanut butter and it worked just fine and looked exactly like your photos. Also I used steel-cut oats that I ground in my food processor. In case that helps anyone!

Rosieposted July 29, 2015 at 1:28 pm

This recipe looks amazing! Can I use oat bran instead of rolled oats?

Amelia Kennedyposted August 12, 2015 at 11:13 am

I don’t know what I did wrong, but these turned out AWFUL!  They didn’t rise one bit (only a few mm’s thick) and tasted really odd.  I did use Truvia, but can’t see that it would make that much difference?

Mandyposted August 21, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Any substitute for the oats?
    They look great!

Carol Napolitanoposted August 27, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Hi Sally,this is my first comment, I wanna try these, they sound great. I was wondering if I use all natural peanut butter and put some honey in it to sweeten it, or even truvia. I know you said not to use natural, I have so many jars of the Teddie, super chunk, all natural no salt added. I eat this peanut butter, so I would love to make it work for this recipe. I’m sure other people use a no salt peanut butter also, so I’m gonna try it and let you guys know how it came out K? Wish me luck, Thanks.

Erinposted September 2, 2015 at 1:19 pm

These were amazing!!! I am recently gluten free but I am a sucker for baking and was so excited to find this recipe. I cannot wait to try out more of yours in the future :)

Mandyposted September 20, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Unfortunately these didn’t work out for me at all. They turned out super super gooey so I cooked them for longer and they were still so gooey. So I stuck them in the fridge like you said and even when I took them out they weren’t fudgy at all! I don’t know what went wrong. :(

1 3 4 5