Bites of Real Life, 1.

Hi! Stepping out of the kitchen today and throwing you some real-life moments & tidbits. :)

1) My love-hate relationship with all that incredible, nutritionally-void candy corn is going strong.

Love love love spotting the delightful little sugary confections on the shelves for the first time each year.  Hate that I can’t even make an entire bag last more than 2 days.

Does anyone else bite the white part off first?

2) A night of baking with my girls led to lots of wine and sprinkle overload. The best kind of night.

These candy corn cookies were so fun to make!  Dye sugar cookie dough orange, cut into triangles, bake, and dip into chocolate and sprinkles. Easy peasy, no recipe even needed!

3) My stunna shades…

Essie Bahama Mama – a radiant, yet sultry deep burgundy purple. Definitely popular with Ravens fans, but I clearly just wear it because it matches my favorite fashion scarf.

OPI Dutch Tulips – a classic red with a hot pink undertone.  No shimmers, goes on smooth, doesn’t chip.  My go-to shade for years. Almost NEVER leaves my nails no matter what the season is.

Essie Limo-scene - looks like you just got a manicure after two coats.  Makes my nails look fancy, even after a day of doing dishes and kneading dough.

4) Ugh. My autumn obsession travels outside of my kitchen and comfy sweater drawer.  Apple Pumpkin and Spiced Pumpkin are my favorites. Do you have any Yankee Candle faves?

5) I’m in full-blown Halloween mode and there’s no turning back…

Pumpkin beer, pumpkin pie, orange yoga mat, orange Jude.

That swirly twirly pie.  Ahem. Coming to a blog near you tomorrow.

6) Hi Kevin! Happy Anniversary! I know you don’t read my blog.

7) Attention all bloggers!

I’m looking forward to actually learning more about WordPress and my Thesis theme next month.  My web design team, Zesty Blog Consulting, is hosting an interactive training program to teach all of us basic and advanced knowledge to make the most of our blogs.  Cory, the head of the  gang, is my technology gu-ru.

Blogging friends: I strongly suggest you look into this.  In Cory’s words: In just four, one-hour classes, you’ll master all the basics: how to build custom pages, links and posts, use plugins, update widgets, manage media, and much, much, more. You’ll also get homework and worksheets to make sure you really get it, and you get to ask me all your questions as you go, so you’ll never feel like you’re on your own.  Don’t worry if you’re not a “technical” person. I promise, no experience with computer graphics, coding, or web design is required.  At the completion of the course you will have the skills required to run your blog or website effectively — all by yourself.

Click here to register and since you’re my friends, use the coupon code WORKSHOP to get $30 off your fee. ;)

8) Yesterday, we finished the last of the Peppermint Patty Fudge Cookies. As if Mondays couldn’t get any worse.

Any bites of real life you care to share?

52 Responses to “Bites of Real Life, 1.”

Rachelposted September 24, 2012 at 11:44 pm

oh my goodnesss. I am VERY OBSESSED with the apple pumpkin Yankee candle… I should have splurged for the larger candle… I have one a few sizes down from that one and it is almost gone. I have been burning it only a few weeks, but I can’t get enough. The smell is heavenly & SO FALL!!!! :) lovelovelove!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 7:03 am

I bought that large candle with a coupon! They are so expensive otherwise. I burn it practically everyday! Thanks Rachel :)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.posted September 24, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I have totally broken into the candy corn too. Have you tried the caramel candy corn?! It’s so good!! I also just bought an apple pumpkin candle!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 6:55 am

Stephanie! NO I haven’t tried the new caramel candy corn! I must get my hands on it immediately. I saw it at Target= yesterday and resisted! Regretting that lol!

Kevinposted September 25, 2012 at 12:27 am

I read your blog :P

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 5:13 am

Hehehe love youuuuu!!!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishesposted September 25, 2012 at 1:00 am

I’m obsessed with candy corn….and I hate that it’s so addictive! I think I have to get me some at the store today now. Thanks a lot! haha Love the candy corn cookies, by the way

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 7:04 am

I can NEVER just stop at a handful of candy corn. clearly, i’m a sugar addict :)

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted September 25, 2012 at 1:28 am

I saw Cory’s workshop, too, and I feel like there are days I blow up his email and wish I could do more myself – but dont want to break my blog! lol (which I’ve almost done before! eekkkkkk!)

You and Kevin are a gorgeous couple. You guys look awesome!

And candy corn – saw it and have RESISTED buying it. I have a killer recipe that uses it. So I know if I buy extra, I will just make said bars and it’s not ya know, what I need to be doing!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 7:05 am

Is your killer recipe the butterfingers recipe? I remember that recipe from when I read your blog as a stranger last year. ;) I’m doing the workshop w/ Cory… there’s nothing to lose and I can afford it this month! I’ll relay my new knowledge to you lol

Blog is the New Blackposted September 25, 2012 at 5:25 am

Dutch Tulips is an all time fave of mine! I just tried the Berlin There, Done That, and loved it! (By OPI, a gray!)

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 6:54 am

I have to try that one out Liz! I’m kind of getting into gray shades… my friends all wear it!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?!posted September 25, 2012 at 7:16 am

Definitely so excited that pumpkin beer season is here! Pretty much obsessed with all things pumpkin. :-D And my fiance loves hearing my and my friends’ nail polish names (kinda strange, kinda cute :)) so I may just have to share your current favs with him!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 8:38 am

the OPI names are SO much fun to read through! Sometimes I just buy them b/c the name is catchy lol!!

• Priscillareplied on September 26th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I thought only I bought nail polishes based on names :) nice to know i am not alone, I have a hot pink shade that I would have a “love affair” with (along with coffee) that I tell my hubby its called rockin’ it 24/7 its sooo prettyyyyy..

Jen @ Savory Simpleposted September 25, 2012 at 7:54 am

I haven’t had candy corn yet this year but I think it’s time to get myself a bag!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted September 25, 2012 at 8:08 am

I love this post, Sally! You and Kevin make a stunning couple! I’m sooooo interested in that workshop–I know they say you don’t have to be “technical,” but I’m not sure they know just how non-technical I am, haha! I may give it a shot, though; looks like a really great deal. Thanks for passing on the info!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 8:37 am

Ashley, I would definitely look into it! There are so many plug-ins I am clueless about and so many features to explore in WP. I’m really excited to improve my blog from it!!

Danaposted September 25, 2012 at 9:33 am

They only way I like to eat candy corn is when you mix it with a can of salted peanuts…love that! My favorite Yankee Candle is Harvest. I am not big on the floral smells…I burn spice scented candles all year long!…I have never had pumpkin beer, I will need to search for it!…I really enjoy your recipes because I can make quite a few of them for my husband who is diabetic…he loves his treats so I am always happy to fond new recipes…thanks!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 11:58 am

Dana! i love your idea… salted peanuts and candy corns! I have to try that soon. Actually, I think you just inspired a recipe I’m going to make this weekend! I’m not big into floral scents either… spiced candles are definitely my favorite. I’m so glad you enjoy my recipes Dana! Let me know what you bake next time. :)

• Danareplied on September 25th, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I will be making your pumpkin cheesecake brownies this weekend that you shared on fb last week…cannot wait! Will let you know how they turn out!

Sarah Carlettiposted September 25, 2012 at 9:34 am

Love it! I have to pull my hubs to the computer if I want him to read a post or look at something. I think I can actually hear him sigh. :) Have a great day, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 11:43 am

haha! I know… when Kevin DOES read my blog, I think he just looks at the pictures :D

Sarah Carlettiposted September 25, 2012 at 9:36 am

PS. We are on one income now and I’m saving for the Genesis theme! Hopefully, up and running by the new year!

Julieposted September 25, 2012 at 10:07 am

Sal — thanks so much for the tip on the workshop. I am going to try to fit it in amongst everything else!! Important to know how to NOT break your #1 creative outlet (i.e., blog) :) Also, my #1 OPI always and forever will be I’m Not Really a Waitress. I love the name as much as the red, red sparkly color. And my whole bedroom smells like Gingerbread and Spiced Apple and Frosted Pumpkin because we burned all those candles this weekend while my baby girl and I celebrated her 7th birthday with a movie, popcorn, and candles under the covers! Thanks as always for bringing such authenticity to your posts – love reading them!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 11:55 am

Julie, I love that you call me Sal! It’s my nickname with my family. :) I strongly suggest that workshop. I’m eager to learn more and make the most out of the wordpress platform! That I’m Really Not a Waitress shade… I love it! I wear it a lot during the holidays. Sounds like the PERFECT way to spend a birthday. Sometimes you don’t need a big hoorah and spending it with the family in bed with popcorn and movies.. sounds incredible. :) Thank you so much for the sweet comment, as always Julie!

• Juliereplied on September 25th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I nickname all my fave people :) Just ask Shan, Dee, Val, ‘chelle, GW and Lizzie :)

Hayleyposted September 25, 2012 at 10:28 am

You and Kevin are super cute, and again, I freaking LOVE that Lily dress. You rocked it! Fall is best because of the fact that you can bake with pumpkin, apples and TONS of cinnamon + spice.. and of course, because of the smells (which are almost-ALMOST as good as the actual eating of the treats!) I don’t shop Yankee, but at Bath & Body Works I’m obsessing over their Cider Lane and Mahogany Teakwood candles. To. Die. For. The Mahogany Teakwood smells like cologne.. spicy and woodsy and totally sexy. I need! And I love this little bits of life post.. proves to me that other people also eat the tip of the candy corn first! :)

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 11:44 am

How crazy is this Hayley– there is a Bath and Body works IN my work building. Thinking about going there on my lunch break to check out their candle selections!!! I’m so glad I’m not the only perosn who eats the white part off first lol

Jacquiposted September 25, 2012 at 10:46 am

Ahhh I LOVE Yankee Candles, but the fall ones are always my favorite! My two fall favorites are Autumn Wreath and Autumn Leaves – both are to die for!!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 11:45 am

My sister has Autumn Leaves and she loves it! I should get one. I’ve never smelled Autumn Wreath before! I love Yankee fall scents :)

• Jacquireplied on September 25th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Defintely smell Autumn Wreath!! I think it takes the lead over Autumn Leaves :-)

Meghan @ After the Ivy Leagueposted September 25, 2012 at 10:55 am

I really need to go out and buy some fall scented candles, on the list for this weekend! That pie…..are you really making us wait till tomorrow??

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 11:46 am

Ahhh yes, I’m making you wait for that pumpkin pie Meghan! I need to finish writing the post. :)

amy @ fearless homemakerposted September 25, 2012 at 11:27 am

I, too, love candy corn/candy pumpkins + I eat the white part of the candy corn first, too. And I love the light pink nail polish – i wear a very similar essie shade almost every day. =)

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 11:48 am

I LOVE Essie for their everyday light pink shades. :) I secretly like the candy pumpkins the best!

Katie @ Oh Shine Onposted September 25, 2012 at 11:42 am

Love this post — you should do more of them to make me feel less awful about ranting about my entire life and posting it on the internet every few days.

That pumpkin pie is calling out for me to eat it and I could seriously use a pumpkin beer right now.. At 11:45 in the morning. Don’t hate, appreciate.

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 11:54 am

Haha! I’m looking to do more of these posts in the future, my dear. LOVE pumpkin beer! I’ll cheers to you next time I have some. And oatmeal raisin cookies! Need to check your blog today. :)

Laura Dembowskiposted September 25, 2012 at 11:51 am

Love seeing your real life moments! I’m crazy for candy corn and have some recipes using it coming up. I also love nail polish. Have you tried the new accent nail trend? I’m rocking hot pink with green on my ring finger this week!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted September 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I love those nail polish colors. And thankfully, candy corn is not on my inhale list. :)

Stephanieposted September 25, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Is that a dress in your picture with Kevin? Love it!

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Hey Stephanie! Yes, it’s a dress by Lilly Pulitzer. Thank you! :)

Juliaposted September 26, 2012 at 10:22 am

Candy corn is BY FAR the best part of October! I could eat an entire bag in one sitting. And pumpkin is a very close second :)

• Sallyreplied on September 26th, 2012 at 10:33 am

I am SO on board with your statement! Candy corn is definitely the best part of october Julia!

Priscillaposted September 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Wow. I just discovered your website yesterday, and am in love with the treats. I dont know how to do it with a 9 month old baby boy crawling around, but I so need to attempt a receipe for the holidays!! Too awesome not to share with the hubby, friends and the bebe! :) one day I will be awesome too lol!!

• Sallyreplied on September 26th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Hi Priscilla! So happy you found my website! It sounds like you already ARE awesome taking care of a family. :) I need to check out OPI “love affair.” I love their shades!

Julieposted September 27, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Sal, I signed up for the workshop and am excited to see if it can help me move forward a bit. I’m not techy, so this may be exactly what I need!! Thanks for the tip and the discount! Will I “see” you there?

• Sallyreplied on September 27th, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I’m SO excited you signed up for the workshop! I’m really looking forward to it. I’m in the advanced sessions. It’s going to be SO helpful, I’m looking forward to it Julie!

luv what you doposted September 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Candy corn does not last long in this house and neither does pumking beer for that matter. The workshop looks really intersting. I know I could def benefit as I have NO idea what is going on in the blog world, but not sure that I have the time right now. Going to check it out!

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2012 at 5:16 am

pumpkin beer disappears quicker than candy corn here. :) Hope you sign up for the workshop, it’s going to be SO helpful!

Alexisposted September 29, 2012 at 12:02 am

Love all the fall recipes you’ve been sharing! I love all the spice flavors–I can’t wait for when you post gingerbread recipes for the holidays!
    Yankee Candle has such great seasonal smells! I signed up for their email and snail mail coupons, and that makes them such a good deal. I get 2-for-1 on the different sizes of jar candles; you can sign up for the deals in the store.
    I got an Autumn Wreath one that I love; I don’t usually buy florals, but this one has a spicy, earthy smell that reminds me of the smell of a Michael’s craft store! The Spiced Cider one is perfect for both fall and winter as well!
    I love having candles, but when I can’t always have them burning, I use the plug-ins and the potpourri-filled tubes for room air fresheners. They both fill the room with a nice smell that’s not too overpowering. I use a Fluffy Towels scented one in my classroom (I’m a teacher, so neutralizing student odor is a must!). The kids like it, and I love having a fresh smell in my class!

• Sallyreplied on September 29th, 2012 at 8:37 am

hey alexis! i need some yankee coupons! I’ll have to drop into the store or browse around online. i’ve been burning through my fall scents pretty quickly. OThers suggested I buy Harvest and Autumn Wreath – I’m going to go for those next! I don’t like floral scents much either. I have a clean cottons air freshener in my bathroom – i love that smell! love reading your comment, we have a lot in common!