Favorite Chocolate Cupcakes.

A decadent round-up of my favorite chocolate cupcake recipes. For all of your chocoholics out there!

Tomorrow is National Chocolate Cupcake Day and a celebration is in order. Would you expect anything less here?

So many chocolate cupcake recipes! Find the easy recipes at sallysbakingaddiction.com

Ornately decorated, piled high with frosting, swimming underneath sprinkles, vanilla, strawberry, pumpkin, apple, or peanut butter… cupcakes come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and flavors. Cupcakes are a blank canvas to create something mini and magnificent; they’ve been in vogue for years.

How can you not love a personal little cake to call your own?

It’s the simple chocolate cupcake that stands the test of time. Chocolate remains a perennial cupcake favorite amoung kids and adults alike. While I certainly never need an actual reason to eat a cupcake, today’s holiday is my excuse to share some favorite chocolate cupcake recipes with all of you.

Don’t think. Just bake!

1) Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting. Easy recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

2) Death by Chocolate Cupcakes

Death by Chocolate Cupcakes. Easy homemade chocolate cupcake recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

3) Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting

Brownie Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting. Easy recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

4) Cookie Dough Frosted Brownie Cupcakes

Fudge Brownie Cookie Dough Cupcakes. These are unbelievable! Easy recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

5) Snickers Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes

Snickers Chocolate Cupcakes

6) Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting

Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting. These are unbelievable! Recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

7) Peanut Butter Fudge Brownie Cups - not a cupcake per se, but the same idea ;)

Peanut Butter Fudge Brownie Bites. Fudgy and full of peanut butter. Easy recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

8) Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes

Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes

9) Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cupcakes

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Cupcakes. Made without butter or oil - easy recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

10) Chocolate White Chocolate Cupcakes

Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting. Easy recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

11) Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Nutella Frosting

Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Nutella Frosting. Easy recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

12) Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting. Easy recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

13) Skinny Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting

Skinny Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting

That’s my little chocolate cupcake hall of fame.

Q: Do you have any favorite Chocolate Cupcake recipes?  Please link up your favorites. I always need inspiration!

46 Responses to “Favorite Chocolate Cupcakes.”

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted October 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I remember seeing this holiday a few weeks back when I was perusing the month’s worth of food holidays and thinking hmmm, interesting! Glad you made the most of it. What a roundup and did not realize HOW MANY choc cupcakes you have! WOW! I have maybe 2?

Now you’ll have to LMK what choc cupcake base-batter you use and what’s your go to. I don’t make them often enough to have a tried and true!

• Sallyreplied on October 17th, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I’m still in testing mode when it comes to chocolate cupcakes. I love Amanda’s chocolate cupcakes but that uses a mix. I’m still testing it out – hoping I can find a CI cookie recipe – but for cupcakes!

Aimee @ ShugarySweetsposted October 17, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Mmmm, I love chocolate cupcakes. I always use my same favorite recipe (based off a David Lebovitz recipe). Sooo yummy. Thanks for making me crave cupcakes before bed :)

• Sallyreplied on October 17th, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I must check out your chocolate cupcake recipe then Aimee! I’m looking for a “perfect” one!

Jessposted October 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Oh these look amazing! I’m looking for a good cupcake recipe for my girls bday! I’ll have to give one of these a try! Love chocolate… :)

• Sallyreplied on October 17th, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Jess! You’ll have to let me know which cupcake you choose for her bday :)

Hayleyposted October 17, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Mmmm, even though I’m not a huge chocolate fan (and thank goodness I don’t have to explain myself to you–you of all people understand!!) I do, occasionally, enjoy chocolate cupcakes. And I enjoy almost everything paired with chocolate– pumpkin, pb, white chocolate, caramel, cookie dough(!!)… the list goes on! You have me drooling over these scrumptious chocolate cakes, my dear. Love them!

• Sallyreplied on October 17th, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I favor funfetti cupcakes over chocolate ones! When will we be able to celebrate FUNFETTI cupcakes?!?! so glad I have you to agree with me too Hayley!

Marjorie (Sugar for the Brain)posted October 17, 2012 at 10:13 pm

They all look so delicious!! Yum!

• Sallyreplied on October 17th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Thank you Marjorie! And thanks for saying hi!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted October 18, 2012 at 12:00 am

Sally, I’m not even a huge fan of chocolate cupcakes, but after seeing all of your fabu pictures here, I want one of ALL of these! Especially the fudge brownie cupcake with the pumpkin frosting. And the one with the snickers mousse. Oh, and the cookie dough frosted ones…

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 9:28 am

I prefer funfetti over chocolate but it’s the pumpkin frosting, pb frosting, and salted caramel frosting that change my mind quickly!!

Elaine @ Cooking to Perfectionposted October 18, 2012 at 8:54 am

Don’t think. Just bake. <—-My new favorite motto. Might have to borrow it!

Happy Chocolate Cupcake Day! :)

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 9:20 am

My motto everyday in the kitchen. Especially when I whip up completely RANDOM things lol. Thanks Elaine!

mrs. williamsposted October 18, 2012 at 9:46 am

Oh man. These look amazing. All of them.

My favorite chocolate cupcake: http://www.persnicketyplates.com/2012/09/chocolate-ghirardelli-chocolate-chip.html

My favorite chocolate cupcake turned into pandas: http://www.persnicketyplates.com/2012/04/adorable-chocolate-panda-cupcakes.html

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 10:02 am

Love the panda cupcakes! So cute. I am looking for a new chocolate cupcake recipe, so THANK you for your suggestions! :)

baker streetposted October 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

Happy Cupcake Day, Sally! I love foodie holidays and the Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting are just calling out to me!

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 3:13 pm

those are my favorite cupcakes ever!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishesposted October 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I’m not even a huge chocolate person but these do look amazing!

Trish Robinsonposted October 18, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I had no idea today was chocolate cupcake day, when last night I made your chocolate cupcakes (with vanilla frosting instead of the caramel frosting) for my daughter’s birthday. OMG! i had one today and I haven’t stopped patting myself on the back. DELICIOUS!!!! thank you!

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I love simple vanilla frosted chocolate cupcakes! I top them with sprinkles. :) How ironic that you made them just in time for today! You are so welcome Trish! :)

• Trish Robinsonreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Oh there were sprinkles:) tinted the frosting orange and added some halloween sprinkles, it was perfect:)

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 9:01 pm

festive orange frosting! i love it.

Nicholeposted October 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Thanks for informing me of this very important day! I’m now off to bake your chocolate cupcakes with salted caramel frosting. I plan on bringing these to all my friends at school tomorrow so they can enjoy the bounties of this day :D

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 9:01 pm

the salted caramel frosting is unbelievable! good choice. ;)

Loretta Eposted October 18, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Oh no you didn’t! Chocolate cake is my favorite. On a side note, I didn’t realize people preferred something else! I guess that’s just me in my little bubble! They all look incredible Sally!

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 8:59 pm

lol! I actually secretly like funfetti cupcakes better. But chocolate is certainly up there. Especially piled high with frosting. :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted October 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I will bake all of these cupcakes here in honor of national chocolate cupcake day. I think I’ll start with the fudge brownie cupcakes – YUM!

• Sallyreplied on October 18th, 2012 at 8:57 pm

good choice! i love the fudge brownie base. :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted October 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Yum. I love all your cupcakes Sally!

• Sallyreplied on October 21st, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I love ALL your unique desserts and flavor combinations Dorothy!!

Leahposted March 11, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I just made this frosting for my friends at my lunch table and it was AMAZING! I just served a bowl of frosting with some double chocolate cookies and teddy grahams to dip. Everyone loved it- thanks so much!!

• Sallyreplied on March 11th, 2013 at 9:49 pm

So glad, Leah! Did you make the cookie dough frosting? That’s one of my favorites!

• Leahreplied on March 12th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Oops, I meant to mention that. Yes, I did! It was great.

Tara | Treble in the Kitchenposted December 5, 2013 at 5:10 am

They all look delicious but the peppermint mocha look especially tasty!!

• Sallyreplied on December 5th, 2013 at 10:46 am

I think those are my favorite. ;)

Jen S.posted December 5, 2013 at 10:52 am

I love the chocolate cake recipe you use in your Death By Chocolate cupcakes. So rich and great texture. I’ve used that along with paula deen’s strawberry cake recipe and your very vanilla cake recipe to make delicious neapolitan cupcakes and cake. I highly recommend those combinations.

• Sallyreplied on December 5th, 2013 at 10:55 am

Oh I love the idea of a neapolitan cake, Jen! I will definitely try that sometime. I’ll search for Paula’s strawberry cupcakes.

• Jen S.replied on December 5th, 2013 at 10:59 am

Here’s her Strawberry cake recipe. It’s the best strawberry cake I’ve ever had by far. Very flavorful. http://www.pauladeen.com/article_view/simply_delicious_strawberry_cake/

• Sallyreplied on December 5th, 2013 at 11:00 am

Awesome. Thank you very much Jen. My fiance’s mom loves neapolitan anything. Can’t wait to try it.

Lilyposted January 13, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Hi Sally, this might come by as a strange question but how do I get my cupcakes a cyclindrical shape (Like that of the choc with nutella frosting and peppermint mocha) instead of the conical shape (fudge brownie with pumpkin cream cheese frosting)??

• Sallyreplied on January 14th, 2014 at 10:23 am

Hi Lily, I’m not sure I understand. Are you talking about the cupcake itself or the frosting? The cupcakes were all bake in muffin/cupcake pans and have the same shape.

• Lilyreplied on January 19th, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Hi Sally, sorry for the confusion. Was referring to the cupcakes itself.
        All good now, found out yesterday the reason for my lopsided cupcakes. The liners I used were too small. Turned out great once I used liners that fit the muffin holes perfectly.
        Thanks!

Btw, the white choc frosting is delish!!

Natalie Kurmannposted January 16, 2014 at 2:24 pm

YOU ROCK!!! I have been learning so much from all of your creative, delicious, fun ideas!!! I am so glad I came across your web sight.

• Sallyreplied on January 16th, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Thanks Natalie! I’m happy you found my blog too.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks