Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.

Delicious pumpkin oatmeal cookies without all the fat and sugar. These simple cookies are ready in only 25 minutes!

You are going to love these.

Today’s cookies have absolutely no butter or oil in them. Zip. Zero. Zilch. They are left soft from the pumpkin puree and egg; there was really no need for any added fat or calories. I kept them even healthier by loading them with oats and whole wheat flour. The cookies are pretty hearty – I ate some for breakfast.

What I loved the most about them is that I really didn’t use much sugar at all in the dough. Feel free to add more or reduce the amount as you please, but I found 1/2 cup of sugar was perfect for the healthy cookie I was shooting for.

The chocolate chips and dried cranberries work double duty: sweetening the cookies and creating mass appeal. Something about the juicy pop of sweetness from a dried (or fresh!) berry and the rich decadence of chocolate – there’s really nothing quite like this duo.

With no mixer required, the dough comes together rather effortlessly. Start to finish, the cookies were ready in about 25 minutes. With a nightly hankering for sweets at 10pm, I’m looking for any sort of quick fix. I almost always pair a spoon with peanut butter before bed, so a simple pumpkin cookie was a humble breath of fresh air. Sometimes pumpkin + chocolate > peanut butter. SOMETIMES.

The cookies pack a huge pumpkin flavor punch. Pleasantly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, they are the epitome of fall.

Baking cookies with pumpkin is tough (very tough if you’re cookie-particular like me) because more often than not, you’re going to end up with a cakey cookie – especially if there is no butter in the dough.  For these healthy cookies, I wanted something with a bit more texture than “cakey” but still overloaded with pumpkin flavor. Pumpkin adds a whole bunch of “glop” (technical terms here) to a cookie dough.  There is so much darn moisture in pumpkin that it’s a real challenge to find the correct dry to wet/sturdy to soft ratios. Sometimes too much of a good thing spells disaster.

I went with 1/2 cup of  pumpkin purree and added in a bunch of oats to help soak it all up. The cookies turned out light, but quite dense.   They have lots of “staying” power. Just want I wanted.

The cookies should be shaped exactly how you want them to bake up. In other words, flatten them out so they aren’t balls of uncooked pumpkin cookie dough inside.  Although that does sound quite intriguing.  It’s the absence of butter and increased amounts of oats and leavening agents that do not allow the cookies to spread like your typically chocolate chip cookie. So make sure you flatten them out a bit.

Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Yield: 12-16 cookies

Healthy pumpkin oatmeal cookies without all the sugar and fat. Instead of chocolate chips and dried cranberries, feel free to use whatever add-ins you like best!

• 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
  • 1 and 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. In a mixing bowl whisk together pumpkin, egg, and vanilla until well combined. In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries. Fold together the wet and dry ingredients until just combined - do not overmix. The cookie dough will be very thick. Taste the dough and add a pinch of salt if needed.
  3. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheets and slightly flatten to the shape you want your cookie. Bake for 12-14 minutes until lightly browned. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for at least 3 minutes and transfer to a wire rack. Cookies stay fresh at room temperature for 3 days in an airtight container.
  4. Make ahead tip: For longer storage, you can freeze these baked cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

Adapted from my friend Christi @ Love From The Oven

Do you enjoy cooking or baking with pumpkin?

Here are some of my favorite pumpkin recipes.

Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Muffins (only 130 calories each!)

130 Calorie Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins

Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats

Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats

See more pumpkin recipes!

132 Responses to “Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.”

Maddieposted October 21, 2013 at 11:14 pm

yours look much prettier than mine 😀 these are DELICIOUS, I just tried one, and I love it!! Making these and your lightened up pumpkin spice bars is a great way to use a small can of pumpkin, and make Monday night more enjoyable! Great job, as always 😉

• Sallyreplied on October 22nd, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thanks Maddie! And these cookies and those bars are exactly the two recipes I make when I’m looking for something a little lighter and am craving pumpkin. Thanks so much!

Allisonposted November 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Love these! Made them last week and my whole family loved them and could not believe they didn’t have any butter or oil in them! Can’t wait to make them again and try some different ad-ins.

• Sallyreplied on November 1st, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Yeah! These cookies are great. I love them with pecans and white chocolate chips. Happy you all loved them Allison!

Tinaposted November 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm

These are fabulous. I used honey and molasses instead of sugar and it worked out great. Thank you.

• Sallyreplied on November 3rd, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I bet your cookies were fabulous. Thanks Tina!

Petraposted November 7, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I am suspicious of no-fat baked goods because I’ve tried so many and quite a few are almost inedible. Took a chance on these because the ingredients looked great, and I love them! Chewy, delicious, tasty, and perfect with a cup of coffee. Thanks so much for posting this recipe!
    By the way, I added almonds and orange zest and sprinkled half of he cookies with a little powdered sugar for my husband who likes things a bit sweeter. He loves them too.

• Sallyreplied on November 7th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I must add orange zest next time, Petra. Thanks for the great idea! I’m happy you and your husband loved these healthier cookies.

Sigrid houseposted November 26, 2013 at 11:16 am

I am pregnant and facing gall bladder issues so I have a crazy low fat diet to deal with. These cookies are perfect for me! I did substitute the egg for egg white instead and the white sugar for pure Florida cane sugar…still comes out great. The first time I made these I used white chocolate chips because that’s what I had…yummy too! Thank you for doing healthy low fat recipes. You are helping me get my sweet fix through this pregnancy without paying the painful price!

Goranaposted December 17, 2013 at 10:10 am

These cookies are delicious! I just love everything with pumpkin… Easy to make, very tasty, like soft muesli bar… 😉 I didn´t have brown sugar so I replaced it with honey… Thank you so much for the recipe!

cassposted February 5, 2014 at 7:22 pm

These came out reaaaally good. My husband didn’t like the “whole oats” so next time I’ll put them in a food processor for a min before adding them to the dough. I thought they were perfect as written :) I did sub raisins for cranberries since that’s what I had on hand.

• Sallyreplied on February 5th, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Sounds great, Cass! Happy they were enjoyed. I like them with raisins too.

amiposted April 11, 2014 at 5:58 am

I wanted to bake pumpkin bread and then changed my mind to pumpkin cookies. And tada you have healthy pumpkin CC cookies recipe!! I think am very lucky today coz I have all ingredients at home and got a healthy recipe from my fav baker. So baking these tomorrow.Will ping back with the fb.

Hayleyposted July 26, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Are these acceptable for breakfast?

Who am I kidding of course they are! 😉

P.E. Coristineposted September 29, 2014 at 4:29 am

I just made these.

And they are AWESOME!!!

sunnyposted October 14, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Just made these and they are divine! I was looking for exactly this – a cookie recipe using pumpkin and no butter, that would still give a cookie consistency rather than cake consistency. This is perfect! Really hard to believe there is no butter in these cookies! I used 100% chocolate chips instead of 50-50 chocolate chips/cranberries just because I’m partial to the pumpkin-chocolate flavor combo. Will be making these a ton this season! Thank you!!!

Karenposted October 23, 2014 at 4:49 pm

We looooove this recipe for healthy cookies! Would you allow us to feature it in the holiday edition of our online magazine, Ruby for Women, A Voice for Every Christian Woman? We would also like to feature it on our blog,
    Please respond to :)

Dianeposted October 31, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Can this recipe be doubled?

Cherylposted November 7, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I recreated and loved it so much! It’s super easy to make :) I blogged my process of making them on my website and gave it a review. Would love if you’d check it out:

Natashaposted November 10, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Hi Sally these cookies are so yummy and my friends didn’t even realise they didn’t have any butter in!! I rolled a few of them in a little cinnamon sugar and reduced sugar in the main mix(to keep it healthy) and it was delicious! Have you ever tried pumpkin and peanut butter in a recipe? I would love to try that combination. Thanks for another great recipe, Natasha

• Sallyreplied on November 11th, 2014 at 8:16 am

pumpkin and peanut butter… I have not! I’m sure you could play around with this recipe:

Use peanut butter for the almond butter and perhaps a little pumpkin instead of the banana? Enjoy!

• Natashareplied on November 11th, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Thanks that looks great- I’ll give it a go and let you know what it’s like!

Kristyposted November 10, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I am wondering whether or not anyone has tried freezing these and how they have held up?

Stephanieposted December 13, 2014 at 9:16 am

Could you substitute light brown sugar if that’s all you have instead of the dark brown sugar?

• Sallyreplied on December 14th, 2014 at 10:27 am

Yep, that’s fine

• Stephaniereplied on December 14th, 2014 at 11:08 am

Thank you!

Shannonposted December 15, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I made these yesterday, they are wonderful! I used gluten-free flour and they still turned out as pictured. Beautiful and tasty! These are my new favorite healthy cookie! Does anyone know the calories per serving? And possibly how many equal 1 serving? Thanks for such a wonderful and easy recipe, all the flavors meld so well together, way better than I had originally expected.

Chantalposted December 17, 2014 at 12:04 pm

Do these cookies freeze well? I like to make my desserts in advance of the holiday and freeze them.

• Sallyreplied on December 17th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Yep, they freeze well. Up to 2-3 months.

Saraposted December 22, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Made these this evening and they were delightful. Thank you for sharing!

Greg Eichelkrautposted January 1, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Used garbanzo bean/flava gluten free flour to make them gluten free. It worked very well. These are yummy

Courtneyposted January 19, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Made these tonight and they are absolutely delicious! Used frozen cranberries and cut the sugar by about half. Very happy with outcome.

Brianneposted February 12, 2015 at 11:17 am

Could this be done with a sweet potato puree instead of the pumpkin?

• Katelynreplied on May 31st, 2015 at 5:42 pm

oh I love that idea! I am going to try these with pumpkin first and then will try with sweet potato if I like them

Faridaposted August 3, 2015 at 4:20 pm

how much calories in a cookie?

Marieposted August 13, 2015 at 5:57 pm

These were delicious! I made 2 small changes, I used flax egg and ground the oatmeal just a little.  These will be a staple in our home. Thanks for sharing.

Emmaposted September 14, 2015 at 12:01 am

Can I use fresh berries instead of dried?
    Btw, I absolutely love your blog! Such awesome photography and food!

• Sallyreplied on September 14th, 2015 at 10:29 am

Dried are best in the baked cookies– thanks Emma!

Mackenzie Pooleposted September 14, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Hey, Sally! I really want to make these cookies, but am trying to avoid refined sugar as much as possible. Would it be possible to sub an ingredient like honey or maple sugar for some of the sugar? If so, do you have any recommendations for amount or temperature changes? Thanks so much!

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2015 at 7:10 am

You can try to play around with coconut or maple sugar, but I’ve never tried it. Let me know!

Carlaposted September 21, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Can I substitute the whole wheat flour for almond flour? I’m curious to see if it’ll taste good

Monicaposted September 28, 2015 at 10:03 am

Hello, I was wondering is it okay to make the dough and keep it refrigerated before actually baking the cookies ? I did not have time to bake them so I put the covered dough in the fridge. Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Yes, definitely. Up to a couple days is fine.

• Monicareplied on September 29th, 2015 at 11:51 am

Thank you so much Sally. I love your recipes. Every single one I have tried is absolutely amazing. I get compliments whenever I bake something using your recipes. You’re awesome !

Heidiposted October 4, 2015 at 8:57 pm

These were great! I did a powerlifting meet and I needed food that was going to be easy to eat, aka delicious and light, but also with carbs. I also didn’t want too much sugar, since my body is not used to that. I did add in a little bit of protein powder, but I just put in that much less volume of flour. Anyhow, they turned out great and really helped!! It is a good recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Narriaposted October 10, 2015 at 9:51 pm

I LOVED these cookies! Does anyone know the average calorie content for one cookie?

Nancyposted October 29, 2015 at 10:50 am

Do you thinking could make these, freeze them in cookie balls and bake later?  Trying to get a little head start on holiday baking ~ OR ~ can I make & bake and then freeze?
      Which would be best?
      Thank you for all your hard work we all enjoy!
      **so far this fall the favorite has been chocolate chip pumpkin loaf!***

• Sallyreplied on October 30th, 2015 at 11:36 am

Yes definitely! Freeze the balls up to 2-3 months.

Susanposted November 18, 2015 at 12:34 pm

I pinned these cookies a couple days ago, and just made them yesterday, using a GF flour. They are so moist and delicious….and EASY!

Thanks so much! A new family favorite :)

Taylor Bposted December 1, 2015 at 12:59 am

Hey Sally!

I was wondering if it was possible to incorporate fresh cranberries into these cookies? I have leftover ones from making your orange cranberry bread and wanted to try a new recipe but also use up the fresh cranberries. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 1st, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Try cutting them in half– they *might* work. I never have luck with fresh fruit in cookies to be honest!