Soft Gingersnap Molasses Cookies: 4 Ways.

The softest gingersnap molasses cookies… ever.

Soft Molasses Cookies - these are the softest molasses cookies! Puffy, chewy, and completely melt in your mouth.

I may or may not be overloading you with cookie recipes lately. But hey… tis’ the season right?! Truth of the matter is that I simply adore cookies. Creating them, baking them, decorating them, eating them. There are so many options, so many add-ins, so many varieties.  There’s a real science behind baking cookies and, call me a nerd, but I love learning more and more with each batch I bake.

Gingersnap molasses cookies are one of my favorite cookies around the holidays, and I’m here to share 4 ways you can bake them. Soft, chewy, puffy, and simple. You cannot go wrong!

So. Earlier this month, I shared this gingersnap recipe with you and loaded the humble little cookies with butterscotch chips. You loved them! And so did I. I made a few other batches later that week. I made them plain, with chocolate chips, and with white chocolate chips. Here are the cookies with butterscotch: Soft Gingersnaps with Butterscotch Chips.

My friend Erin said the plain version are the BEST cookies I have ever made. And I make a lot of cookies. That says something. The cookies are so puffy, so soft, so thick, and incredibly chewy – everything I look for in a cookie’s texture. I like to compare them to little pillows. Pillowy molasses gingersnap cookies.

With a sugary sheen and trademark crinkly tops, gingersnap molasses cookies are the epitome of holiday baking.  So many memories with my mom and sisters, rolling the balls of dough into a big mountain of sugar. The sugar-dip is the best part of making gingersnaps!

While I simply adore the butterscotch chips hiding inside, I wanted to show you three more ways to make these cookies. Plain, with white chocolate, and with semi-sweet chocolate. Here are the cookies with white chocolate chips:

White Chocolate Chip Gingersnap Cookies-- you will LOVE these!

And here they are with semi-sweet chocolate chips. Chocolate and molasses?  Simply divine. ↓

Chocolate Chip Gingersnap Cookies-- these are simply divine. Any time of year!

Plain and simple, these will be the thickest and softest gingersnap cookies you will ever make.

There are two very critical notes on my gingersnap cookies. First, make sure you chill the dough. Prepare ahead of time so that the dough can chill 2 hours or overnight. Your cookies will NOT be as thick as mine unless the dough has been sufficiently chilled. Second, the amount of time you bake your gingersnaps is imperative- so so important to the texture of your finished cookie. Be sure to bake for only 8-10 minutes.  Lean towards the 8 minute side. The cookies will appear soft and may look undone. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and I assure you, they will be done.

Between the plain, the butterscotch, the white chocolate, or the regular chocolate…

Which one do you like the best?

Soft-Baked Gingersnap Molasses Cookies

Yield: 30 cookies

Soft-style and super thick Gingersnap Molasses Cookies. Enjoy them with chocolate chips, white chocolate, or butterscotch. Or simply plain - my favorite way.

• 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup (104g) dark molasses
  • 1 egg, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar, for rolling
  • 1 cup (180g) butterscotch chips or white chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand or handheld mixer, cream the softened butter for about 1 minute on medium speed. Add the brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides as needed. Add the molasses, egg, and vanilla. Beat well, scraping down the sides as needed again.
  2. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet on low speed. Do not overmix. Cover mixed dough with foil and chill for 2 hours or overnight. I chilled mine overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place balls 2 inches apart. Bake for precisely 8-10 minutes, until the edges are just turning brown – cookies will be puffy and still appear soft in the middle. Mine took 8:30 minutes. Remove from the oven and, if using any variety of flavor chip, immediately press 5-7 chips into the center of each cookie.
  4. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for two minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Cookies may be frozen up to 3 months. Rolled cookie dough balls (after the cookie dough has been chilled in step 2) may be frozen up to 3 months. Do not thaw, simply bake for 1-2 minutes longer.

Take a peek at some of my similar recipes:

Chocolate Gingerbread Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Gingerbread Bundt Cake

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting - easy homemade recipe at

Caramel Molasses Cookies

Caramel Molasses Cookies

171 Responses to “Soft Gingersnap Molasses Cookies: 4 Ways.”

Chinmaposted April 16, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I <3 you recipes!

Roseposted June 27, 2013 at 9:08 pm

These look incredible.. my boyfriends mom makes amazing ginger molasses cookies, they’re soft but really thin.. I’d love to make some puffy fat ones! His bday is coming up and we’re birthday cookie people, not cake 😉 Would these work with either earth balance or shortening? I’m allergic to dairy.. and I want in on the action. Thanks girl :)

• Sallyreplied on June 28th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Hi Rose – both shortening and earth balance will work. I love birthday cookies :)

Danielaposted September 30, 2013 at 11:22 am

Hi Sally, these cookies look amazing! I would love to make them for my little nephew but he can’t eat dairy. I don’t really like to bake with shortening so I was wondering if you think vegetable oil (such as canola oil) would work instead. Thanks!
    PS. made your triple chocolate chip cookies this weekend. Incredible!!

• Sallyreplied on September 30th, 2013 at 11:55 am

Since the butter must be creamed, you cannot replace it with liquid oil. You may, however, use solid coconut oil and cream it as your would butter in this recipe. Refined coconut oil does not taste like (or smell like) coconuts in a finished baked cookie.

• Danielareplied on September 30th, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Great idea, thanks so much! I will try that.

Olga Prietoposted October 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Ok, I waited 24 hours, chillin’, the dough, that is…I don’t reallybuy Ginger Cookies because of their over powering taste-but Your Recipe is simply amazing to my taste bids!!

• Sallyreplied on October 2nd, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I love this recipe too, Olga. Thanks for reporting back!

Feliciaposted October 17, 2013 at 10:25 am

Thanks for this recipe, Sally. I made a batch to try, and my brother loved them so much he requested ANOTHER batch the very next week :)

• Sallyreplied on October 17th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I don’t blame him. I love these!

Becposted November 10, 2013 at 6:06 am

Hi Sally!
    Just wanted to say how much I loved these! I decided to bake them a few days in advance, so I had time to soak 200g of rasins in 1/4 cup of spiced rum, which I added to the dough and baked today. Oh. My. Gosh. I’m in biscuitty, rummy heaven! Thankyou :)

• Sallyreplied on November 10th, 2013 at 10:51 am

I have to try these with spiced rum, Bec! Thanks so much for reporting back. Great idea!

Sallyposted November 14, 2013 at 8:18 am

Did you measure your flour properly using the spoon and level method? Typically when molasses cookies are “hard” there isn’t enough fat to compensate for all the flour. Or flour was over measured. OR you over baked the cookies.

Jeanieposted November 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm

How long can the dough be kept in the fridge before it should be made into cookies? Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on November 22nd, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Covered tightly – up to 2 days. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling and baking.

chloeposted November 29, 2013 at 12:33 am

Woooooooow thank you! I think your friend was right – the best cookies I’ve ever made also. Ginger is my absolute favourite, especially at this time of year. Will Definitely make these again soon. Thanks so much, girl!

Cheijposted December 7, 2013 at 1:58 am

Hi Sally, if i melt the butter ahead, can I make the cookies by hand, without an electric mixer?

• Sallyreplied on December 7th, 2013 at 8:32 am

You need creamed butter, not melted. So unfortunately you’ll need a mixer for this recipe.

• Emmareplied on November 12th, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Hi Sally! I know this is a super old post now but I was just reading the comments and wanted to reply to what you said in case people are put off with the recipe because they don’t have a mixer. I’ve been creaming butter and sugar together without a mixer since I started baking around 15 years ago. My mum creamed butter and sugar together by hand with a wooden spoon before that and so on. I think the term ‘creaming’ was coined before electric mixers were even invented!

Just a wooden spoon and soft butter (not melted, just soft) is all you need. Don’t stir, just push the butter with the sugar up against the sides of the bowl and stir with that motion until all the sugar is in and the mixture has lightened or darkened depending on the type of sugar. It’s not easy to explain! It could also be just a language issue as I’m from the UK and we are all taught how to ‘cream’ over here (in cookery programs, at school etc.)

I love your website and going to try these cookies tomorrow as well as a couple of other ones. I’m hoping to get your book soon too :) Thanks for the recipes!

Michelleposted December 9, 2013 at 8:35 am

I just wanted to tell you that I made these last year when I was enormously pregnant and awaiting my overdue daughter’s arrival and then my husband and I ate them while I was in labor and then while we were at the hospital following my daughter’s birth. I’m making them again this year because they are so wonderful and I will treasure this recipe because it brings back such memories. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 9th, 2013 at 8:42 am

This comment made my morning. This particularly dreary, rainy, cold morning. Just want I needed to read Michelle. I am beyond happy that my recipe will forever be treasured. I hope your daughter loves them one day!

Marisaposted December 12, 2013 at 11:20 pm

WONDERFUL recipe! I’ve been looking for a molasses cookie that stays chewy and soft, and these are just perfect, with a slight crunch on the outside that makes them just heavenly. I made them very small (the batch yielded 110 cookies) and just reduced the bake time to about 6.5 minutes; I’m using them as Christmas cookies. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe–these are definitely a new favorite!

• Sallyreplied on December 13th, 2013 at 8:48 am

Wow! Those must be some tiny cookies. I have no doubt they are amazing. The smaller, the more you can eat – right?! Thanks Marisa!

Sallyposted December 15, 2013 at 7:46 am

I don’t see any eggs listed in the ingredients but you have directions to add egg. How many?

I also didn’t see the ommission in anu of the comments. Can these be made without egg then?

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2013 at 8:19 am

Hi Sally – the egg is listed after the molasses and before the vanilla.

Jessposted December 17, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hi Sally, I know it’s aaaaaaaaaaaaages since you made these so there’s a high chance you won’t have an answer to my question but:
    do you have any idea how long these bad boys will keep?
    I’m making a Christmas cookie basket for some family and I’m trying to figure out what would be suitable to include.
    Thanks in advance!

• Sallyreplied on December 17th, 2013 at 11:05 am

Hey Jess! That information is actually in the recipe already “Allow to cool on the baking sheet for two minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.”

Lynn S.posted December 20, 2013 at 10:11 am

I’ve been searching for the perfect THICK, chewy, molasses/ginger cookie…I’m trying these this weekend, and keeping my fingers crossed that they come out looking like yours!

Cat Palominoposted December 21, 2013 at 8:28 am

These look great! I am on the hunt today for recipes that don’t require shortening, as I’ve decided I will no longer use it in my holiday baking. I have two tried and true cookie recipes that I’ve used for decades that call for shortening and I am hoping to find great replacements. I plan to make these, as well as the Snickerdoodles, tomorrow. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 21st, 2013 at 9:47 am

Perfect, Cat! Hope you enjoy both recipes. Great choices!

Teresa Dposted December 21, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Hey Sally! I made these cookies today and I cannot tell you how pleased I am! They tasted amazing, and they definitely are like pillows! I plan to give them as gifts; I know that everyone will love them! Thank you so much!

• Sallyreplied on December 21st, 2013 at 10:11 pm

These cookies make wonderful holiday gifts, Teresa! Happy Holidays :)

Danaposted December 22, 2013 at 12:41 am

I bake only really basic things and have a question about the molasses and butter in the soft-gingersnap cookie recipe. I don’t like using the microwave for cooking, so would I be able to melt the molasses and butter in a small sauce pan, or do I need to use a double-boiler?

The recipe looks great and I am going to try it asap!

• Sallyreplied on December 22nd, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Hi Dana! The butter in this cookie dough should be softened and then creamed with a mixer – it’s not to be melted.

Jenniferposted December 28, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I made these cookies for the first time today. I sampled one while they were still warm, for scientific purposes of course, and they were fantastic. Soft and doughy and completely delicious!

• Sallyreplied on December 28th, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Scientific purposes… of course. :) Happy you love them Jennifer!

Shannaposted January 5, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I made these this holiday season and now they are one of my absolute favs, mmmm mmmm good. I also tried them stuffed with caramel and they were awesome!

Katharineposted January 6, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Just found your blog today while googling “gingersnap recipes” and absolutely loved this recipe. The cookies were perfect,the recipe yielded a lot and it was a quick bake. They were perfectly light and fluffy! I chose to ground fresh ginger, nutmeg and cloves which definitely added an extra spice to the cookie. Thanks for the recipe!

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2014 at 10:05 am

Katharine, I’m happy you enjoyed them! Thanks so much for reporting back.

Nidhiposted March 7, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Hi, I am big fan of your recipes. Tried your cream and cookie cupcakes and fresh strawberry cupcakes, they are just too good.
    Would love to try this now but a bit apprehensive of using egg in the cookies.
    Is there any substitute for egg here. I definitely wanna try this but without egg. Pls suggest a substitute. Thanks

• Sallyreplied on March 7th, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I’m unsure – I’ve never made these cookies without the egg. You could try using a flax egg (often used in vegan baking), but again – I’ve never attempted it before. Here’s more info about a flax egg substitute:

sharonposted March 8, 2014 at 8:42 am

hi Sally, just baked these earlier today and absolutely loved it!! your blog is fantastic!! :) next on my list to try is your Onion Rings!

Joposted March 30, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Oh Sally! I already loved you and your beautiful blog and brilliant recipes but this has really pushed me into serious fellow baking blogger crush territory lol! These are phenomenal. Us Brits will think of gingerbread as either thin, crisp, hard even biscuits or a damp, squidgey cake. These cookies are neither and oh so much better for it. The texture is superb and the flavour just perfect. I found you via your cookie recipes on a friend’s Pinterest and I am so happy to say these will be getting made again so soon! I’m posting the rest of my batch (I may have hoovered up three warm off the rack 😉 ) to my dad and step mum as a belated Mother’s Day gift 😀

• Sallyreplied on March 30th, 2014 at 4:52 pm

So happy you love these cookies so much, Jo! Perfect Mother’s Day treat if you ask me.

Malloryposted April 18, 2014 at 5:59 am

Hi! I really don’t want to roll these so should I add the topping in the cookie or just leave it out?

• Sallyreplied on April 18th, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Whatever you prefer – you can leave out the topping if you want. I prefer the extra sweetness though.

kellyposted May 3, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Made these using white chocolate chips, and they were so yummy it was hard to stop eating them!!! I love to make your recipes because I know that they are always delicious!!! Thanks Sally! :)

Elizabethposted July 11, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I made these today and they were excellent! Absolutely perfect. Thanks for giving me a wonderful rainy day activity.

Kassandraposted July 29, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I absolutely loved your pillowy snickerdoodle recipe and when I saw these little molasses pillows, I knew I had to make them! They are just as fantastic as your snickerdoodle and I absolutely LOVE the thick, soft texture. I would love to see more cookies made in a similar texture as these and those snickerdoodles! Thank you so much! :)

Rebeccaposted August 11, 2014 at 12:26 am

I just wanted to say that I just made these and they are amazing. I left some plain, some with dark chocolate chips and then, simply because I had an open bag that needed to be finished, crushed Heath Bar. Oh my starry-eyed surprise. Those were hands down my favorite. A slight crunch and burnt sugar flavor… delish. Anyway, thanks for the recipe, I love molasses and this set of spices and try to use them whenever possible.

Amyposted October 31, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I just made these and – oh my goodness – they are phenomenal! They are just the right texture that I’ve been looking for. Our local bagel shop makes these and I’ve been searching & searching for something similar to no avail, until now.
    Thank you so much for your baking expertise!!!

Susanposted November 2, 2014 at 12:28 am

I’ve made these so many times and absolutely love them! Finally decided to do them a little justice and share with my friends via my own blog post. Didn’t mention it there, but these can be so cute with melted chocolate drizzled over the top! LOVE them! Thanks for sharing this recipe. :)

Avaniposted November 11, 2014 at 6:53 pm

so delicious! just whipped them up. i think they may have almost topped the apple cider donuts :)

Cindyposted November 20, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Did you change your recipe? I thought out said to push down on the cookies after cooking to get the crinkle tops. These are my favorite cookies.

• Sallyreplied on November 20th, 2014 at 8:55 pm

no, I have not changed this specific recipe– I have a few recipes for gingersnap cookies. you may be thinking of the one in my cookbook?

Micheleposted November 27, 2014 at 1:25 am

Hi Sally! I just received your book in the mail….YUM! First of all, thank you for making your recipes so user friendly!

My niece & nephews are coming over during Christmas time to make your soft cut out cookies. I am seeking a gingerbread cookie that is similar, on the soft side if possible, to make gingerbread men. I searched your site but was unable to find one. Can you point me in the right direction of a recipe you have used before (even if they aren’t soft?)?

Thank you!

Valerieposted December 15, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Hi Sally! I was only able to find regular Molasses can I use that instead of the dark?

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2014 at 10:13 pm

yep, that’s fine

Lenaposted December 19, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Hi Sally just love your website and all your fabulous cookie recipes. I was wondering can recipe be doubled for gingersnap cookies?? i will have lots of guests over for Christmas and they are all gimgersnap cookie lovers so I have to make lots.

Thanks for sharing so many wonderful recipes and wishing you Happy Holidays.

• Sallyreplied on December 20th, 2014 at 10:18 am

Hi Lena! Yep, simply double all of the ingredients. I normally bake two separate batches when I double cookie recipes– this guarantees a uniform texture AND helps me avoid overmixing.

Saraposted December 20, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Making these for Christmas but don’t want to bake until night before. Can I freeze dough?

• Sallyreplied on December 21st, 2014 at 8:18 am

Yes, you may freeze the cookie dough balls (after the dough has been chilled).

Ashley Fposted December 22, 2014 at 11:59 am

I would first like to say I adore your blog! With these cookies, is it okay to roll the dough out and use a cookie cutter instead of rolling them into a ball?

• Sallyreplied on December 22nd, 2014 at 3:01 pm

This cookie dough isn’t best for cut-out cookies unfortunately.

Jamieposted December 22, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Hi Sally! Since finding your blog, I find myself gravitating toward it whenever I am looking for a recipe to bake. I decided this year to do some baking for my 4 year old’s preschool teachers as part of their Christmas presents and made everything from your recipes: the peppermint bark, these gingersnap molasses cookies and the cherry almond shortbread cookies. ALL was a huge hit! One of the teachers told me that the cookies didn’t even make it through the night once she and her husband got a hold of them that evening!
    When I pulled the gingersnap cookies out of the oven, I gave one to my husband to try. He wasn’t overly enthusiastic about them at first. Once they had a chance to sit for a day or two, though, he told me that I “could make those cookies anytime you want because those are pretty damn awesome!” I liked them instantly, but I had to agree with him that they DO get better “with age!” :)
    Thanks for all of the great recipes! I feel like I’ve learned quite a bit from you when it comes to baking…chilling cookie dough, using room temp eggs, weighing out dry ingredients (thanks for putting these in your recipes-I can totally tell the difference), etc.! I can’t wait to see what is yet to come. Merry Christmas to you. :)

• Sallyreplied on December 22nd, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Thank you Jamie! And thank you for making SO many of my recipes. I love these cookies too- and merry christmas!

Bonnieposted December 23, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I just made these and..WOW! They are the best! What I love most about this recipe is that it does not call for shortening. I’ve had many Pinterest fails as of late so this being a success makes me super happy! Happy Holidays!

Roxanneposted December 25, 2014 at 12:15 am

I went looking online for a soft molasses cookie recipe similar to the great cookies I remember from childhood, and decided to give this one a try.

Since my sister and I have a serious sensitivity to wheat, I adjusted this recipe to be gluten free. The cookies were still FABULOUS. So soft and smooth, with such rich flavor.

I am so glad to find this recipe, and pleased to report that it converts to GF wonderfully. Thank you so much for making it available. It was exactly what I had hoped to find.

Christinaposted December 25, 2014 at 12:37 am

I made these last weekend and they were great!! These got hammered at the party and just looked to this recipe to make another batch for our party tomorrow. I used a bit more spices and 1/2c sugar so I could feel ok about letting my LO eat some not rolled in sugar. He loves them, too :) This is my go-to from now on. Mahalo

Sheilaposted January 13, 2015 at 1:21 pm

3 cups of flour is correct, right?
    My dough is just way too dry :( I don’t know what I did wrong!

Maryposted January 17, 2015 at 11:52 am

Hello Sally, Im a big fan of your recipes. I made these two days ago and they turned out awesome! And today I decided to re-make them but this time all of them were flat. I have no idea of what could’ve happened. The first time I made them I chilled them for 2 hours only and the ones I did today were chilled overnight. I hope you could help me! And again, thank you for all of your amazing recipes!

Anuposted February 5, 2015 at 11:26 pm

This is being chilled overnight as I type this.
    Wanted to update you with my list with the grades from me and my family/friends:-)
    Hope you are as happy seeing this list as I am making this list :-)

17. Gingersnap molasses cookies
    16. Strawberry chocolate chip Cookies
    15. Soft pretzel bites with cheesy dip
    14. Red velvet Oreo brownies ==> HUGE SUCCESS, A+
    13. Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. ==> HUGE SUCCESS, A+
    12. Double chocolate muffins (from the cookbook!)
    11. Pineapple Upside Down Cake
    10. Triple chocolate scones supreme
    9. Triple Layer Chocolate Cake => A
    8. Skinny Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars
    7. Lucky Charms Marshmallow Treats
    6. Orange Glazed Cranberry Bread
    5. Ultimate Magic Cookie Bars => A
    4. Red Velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. ==> HUGE SUCCESS, A+
    3. Brown Butter chocolate chip cookies
    2. Homemade Pizza crust
    1. Homemade Chewy Fudge Brownies => A

• Sallyreplied on February 6th, 2015 at 3:42 pm

makes my day to read this list! you are a baking rockstar Anu. Love love love those red velvet oreo brownies.

• Anureplied on February 6th, 2015 at 4:01 pm

My friends and family think I have gone crazy.. Baking non-stop like this :-)
        I knew there would at least be one person happy to see this list :-) Thanks for taking your time to reply to all these comments.

Brookeposted November 4, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Can you freeze this dough? Planning for the Holidays!!