Chocolate Peanut Butter Saltine Toffee.

Toffee made from saltine crackers. Aka “Christmas Crack” – this stuff disappears!

Christmas Crack - easy toffee made from saltine crackers. This stuff is so good!

There are saltine crackers in my favorite toffee recipe and I’m not afraid to admit it.

So, what on earth is this stuff?

A bubbly toffee syrup poured over a single layer of saltine crackers, topped with peanut butter (oh yeah) and melted chocolate (YES!), covered with crushed M&Ms & sprinkles, chilled to sweet & salty perfection and broken into dozens of sticky pieces. This toffee been known as “Christmas Crack” because as you can imagine, it’s quite addicting!

Saltine Toffee aka Christmas Crack. I like to add peanut butter and sprinkles. Easy recipe at

I first had this toffee a few years ago when a coworker brought it in for a holiday potluck.   I was definitely hesitant to try it when I learned that crackers are the base layer.  Never one to pass up a sweet & salty treat, I had my first bite and was in sticky toffee bliss.  It’s completely irresistible – the chewy toffee sticks to your teeth and the salty crunchy saltines provide the most wonderful contrast to the sugar and chocolate.

Think of this as a salty, sweet, peanut butter-y Heath bar – but better.

It was time I revisited this luxurious holiday treat, so I whipped up a quick batch Saturday morning and have been knee deep in salty toffee bliss ever since.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Saltine Toffee

If you’ve never made this stuff, you are in for a real treat. It is SO simple to make. First, spray your sheet pan generously with non-stick spray.  Emphasis on “generous” here.

Start with a sleeve of saltine crackers.  The salted variety, of course.  Line them up on the sheet pan in one even layer, leaving some room between each cracker. Take 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup of dark brown sugar – and boil them down into a thick caramel syrup for about 3 minutes.  Clearly, we’re not dealing with diet food today.  You may want to put on fat pants as the butter/sugar boils and carmelizes.

Pour that buttery brown sugar caramelized glaze all over your crackers and stick in the oven at 400F for about 5 minutes.  As the caramel glaze melts down into the crackers, get your melted peanut butter and chocolate chips ready to go. You’re going to layer these two on top of the toffee.

More often than not, I’ve seen this cracker toffee made without the peanut butter layer.  Feel free to leave the peanut butter layer out, because the toffee is plenty good without it. However… if there’s chocolate involved, you better believe I’m adding peanut butter. Its just second nature to me. 😉

Saltine Toffee aka Christmas Crack. This stuff is so easy to make and perfect for gift giving. Easy recipe @

At the 5 minute mark, remove the toffee from the oven and spread the melted peanut butter over top. Just WAIT until you smell the peanut butter melted all over the bubbling toffee! Then, top the peanut butter with chocolate chips and return to the oven for about 1 minute.  During this step, get your crushed M&Ms and sprinkles ready.

Remove the toffee from the oven and spread the melty chocolate chips around to form one solid, thick chocolate layer.  You could also use Hershey’s bars or even white chocolate chips for the chocolate layer – go with what you have on hand. Likewise, you may top the toffee with just about anything you have in your pantry.  Or even leave the toffee plain.  Mama Baking Addiction loves to buy me festive M&Ms for nearly every holiday, so I crushed up my abundance of green and red candy coated chocolates and used them as the final layer over the melty chocolate.

Oh, and a plethora of sprinkles go on top as well.  Obviously.

The next part is the hardest part of all: waiting.  Make room in the freezer and chill the toffee for at least one hour.  You could also chill in the refrigerator, but that will take a bit longer than 1 hour.  The chilling is when all the magic happens. The layers adhere together, creating one sticky, crunchy, toffee oblivion. Once the toffee is all set up after the chill time, break it into pieces – large or small.  Nothing fancy or neat here;  get your hands dirty!

Saltine Toffee aka Christmas Crack. Easy recipe @

Mmmm. The underside is nearly as pretty as the top. The peanut butter slips through the cracks and hardens on the bottoms with the toffee.

A simple ingredient list with  practically no-baking involved. I truly wonder why I’ve never made it myself before. Go make this now.  I promise you won’t regret it.

…your waistline might, but your tastebuds won’t.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Saltine Toffee

Toffee made from saltine crackers. Aka "Christmas Crack" - this stuff disappears!

• One sleeve salted Saltine crackers (about 40 crackers)
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar (or light brown sugar)
  • 1 cup butter (salted or unsalted - go by preference)
  • 2 and ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 6 Tablespoons creamy peanut butter, melted
  • 1 cup crushed M&Ms (optional)
  • sprinkles (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Generously spray a half-sheet pan with cooking spray; set aside.

Line saltines in the pan, leaving a little bit of room between each. Over medium heat, bring butter and brown sugar to a boil in a large sauce pan. As it begins to boil, leave it alone without stirring for 3 minutes. Pour the boiling mixture over the crackers and bake for 5 minutes.

As the toffee bakes, melt the peanut butter. Remove toffee from oven and pour the peanut butter over top, smoothing it in one even layer. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and return to the oven for 1 minute. Remove from the oven and smooth down the chocolate chips into one melted chocolate layer. Top with crushed M&Ms and sprinkles.

Make room in the freezer and chill the toffee for at least 1 hour OR refrigerate for 2 hours. Once the toffee is set, break into pieces.

Store toffee in an airtight container either in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 10 days.

So darn good.

aka Christmas Crack. So easy to make, yet so addicting. Love this stuff!

A few more treats for your holiday baking:

Salted Pecan Pie Tarts

Salted Pecan Pie Tarts

Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Candied Nuts

Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Candied Nuts

Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Fudge

Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Fudge

Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow

Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow

Q: What are your initial thoughts on crackers in toffee?

It certainly sounded crazy to me at first – but not much crazier than potato chips in cookies. Between the sticky toffee, hardened peanut butter, sweet chocolate, and crunchy salty crackers – this stuff just works.

125 Responses to “Chocolate Peanut Butter Saltine Toffee.”

Christineposted November 25, 2013 at 9:02 am

OK – these are CRAZY! I made them on Saturday – I didn’t skip a step…crushed M & M’s, sprinkles, peanut butter…the works! These are UNBELIEVABLE! I made them to include in birthday packages for two of my nephews – I kept “sampling” it so finally had to tape it up in a box so I wouldn’t eat it all!!! These are incredibly delicious! I would only warn…they are truly like a drug!

I followed these up with your Cake Batter Rice Krispie treats. OMG…another one knocked out of the park! Another one taped securely in the birthday package so I would stop eating it! Delicious!

I toyed with making your Biscoff White Chocolate Oatmeal cookies but…with the boxes already taped shut, they would have nowhere to go but in my belly! Maybe next weekend!!! :-)

• Sallyreplied on November 25th, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hi Christine! I’m so glad you tried two of my favorite recipes lately – both the saltine toffee and the cake batter treats. Both wonderful recipes and so, so simple! I hope your nephews love them. I know they will. =) Let me know how you like the Biscoff cookies next!

Maryposted December 4, 2013 at 4:27 pm

these are amazing but I found only 6 tablespoons of melted peanut butter did not cover much of the large pan.Do you think I did something wrong?

• Sallyreplied on December 4th, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Usually it is enough for me. Maybe try adding a little more if you’d like.

Rachelposted December 4, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I don’t have a half sheet pan. Will a jelly roll pan work or can I use a 13x 9? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 4th, 2013 at 7:05 pm

A jelly roll will be just fine. Enjoy!

Cindy Cornellposted December 17, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I made this last night for our Christmas Goodie Day at work tomorrow and it is delicious! My only question is if i leave these out at room temperature all day, won’t the chocolate melt and make a big mess? Just curious! I’d hate to make it with almond bark because that would not taste as good.

• Sallyreplied on December 17th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

The chocolate doesn’t typically melt at room temperature. Unless your work room is extremely hot.

• Cindy Cornellreplied on December 17th, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Thanks! I’m thinking it will all be gone before it has a chance to melt anyway, but was just curious!

Mariaposted December 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Hi Sally, I hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas!
    Can I use crushed pretzels instead of crackers?

• Sallyreplied on December 31st, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hey Maria! Hope you had a lovely Christmas as well – I’ve never tried this with pretzels before, but I have no doubt it would work!

Snehaposted March 13, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Hi Sally, wht r the brands of saltines tht u use because I have to try n find out the same one here in India.also can u just help me with the gram measurements. Ur recipes r always a big hit in my family. So this time during HOLI (a colour festival in India which is on 16th march ) want to impress everyone with ur recipes.
    Love u n ur recipes always.

• Sallyreplied on March 13th, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Hi Sneha! The brand is actually called “Saltine” – any plain, salty cracker would be just fine instead.

vickieposted November 21, 2014 at 9:38 am

hi – tried to make this yesterday and don’t know what I did wrong but chocolate chips would not melt…and I only saw 1 post that someone else had that problem – I even put it back in oven for several minutes – I used hershey’s semi-sweet chips – any clue

Lindsayposted December 6, 2014 at 9:03 am

Would cookie butter work in the place of the peanut butter? I want to make this for Christmas but have some peanut allergies in the family.

• Sallyreplied on December 6th, 2014 at 10:35 am

Christineposted December 8, 2014 at 10:00 am

After a failed attempt at fudge yesterday, I made these. Always perfect, every time! I wanted to come back and share a moment of inspiration I had with them though…instead of using peanut butter, added in peanut butter chips (TJ”s brand). Worked like a dream…they have that chocolate/peanut butter action going on but I didn’t have to worry about melting peanut butter. :-)

Thanks again for the recipe…they are going into my gift boxes again this year!

• Sallyreplied on December 8th, 2014 at 10:58 am

pb chips… genius Christine!

Sarahposted December 15, 2014 at 9:13 am

Hi Sally! I just started trying out your many delicious recipes at the start of the holiday season, so I was excited to try one more that looks just as good! I had a slight problem though – my toffee layer seemed to get burnt after cooking on the stovetop and in the oven. I’m a college student with a finicky apartment kitchen, so it could be either source just got too hot! Overall the whole dessert turned out fairly scrumptious, but there is a slight SLIGHT burnt taste to the toffee layer. Since I was trying to give it as a gift, I think I’ll keep this batch for me and try again. Would love any feedback to see how I can do it right the second time!

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2014 at 9:28 am

Sarah, I assume it is your stove which is totally OK. I’m glad you still like the taste. If you make it again, use slightly lower heat. All stoves are finicky sometimes.

Loriposted December 15, 2014 at 10:09 am

These look great! I only have olive oil cooking spray in the house. Could I use butter or Crisco instead of cooking spray to keep them from sticking to the pan?

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2014 at 11:47 am

you may grease the pan with butter or crisco, yes

Janet Malloneeposted December 15, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I have been making candy for years, so I don’t understand why this doesn’t turn out for me. Instead of getting hard and crunchy , mine is gooey and won’t break apart. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Jennifer Ensleyposted December 16, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I am trying this for the first time. There are only like three cooking directions and I have messed that up. I fail to bake the crackers and “caramel” for 5 minutes before topping with the peanut butter and chocolate chips. I put it all together and am now baking for the 5 minutes. I will let you know what happens. Also, I used sprayed parchment in my pan which should not be a problem. The 5 minutes are up so I timed it for another 1 for the full 6 minute cooking time. I see the ‘caramel layer bubbling like crazy. Ok, my chips may be cooked since they don’t want to spread very well. I left off the sprinkles except for some course ,white decorator sugar. Once it is chilled I will write again to tell you my results. Good grief! Such a simple recipe that I read several times and still goofed up.

Jennifer Ensleyposted December 16, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Well, we have tried my Saltine Toffee mistake. Don’t know what it is supposed to be like but Holy Sweet Tooth! I think if I had baked the crackers and toffee for the initial 5 minutes it might be crunchier but I must say it is darned good. Hubby says it must really be bad for him ‘cuz it is so good. I will definitely make it again only correctly.

Azaleaposted December 30, 2014 at 5:57 am

Hello Sally! I tried my hand making this recipe last Christmas Eve — and messed up in every way possible. The toffee ended up a bit burnt (it smelled burnt), the peanut butter refused to spread properly, and the chocolate chips didn’t melt (which is my fault really, since I left them in the oven over a minute.) So I ended up just chucking the pan in the freezer to cool, thinking I could salvage it the next day.

Come Christmas morning, I said “What the heck” and just cracked the contents up and took a bite… and then another bite, and still more. Then I offered it to my flatmates, and what do you know: it just plain disappeared! Dare I say that your recipe is simply the best — no matter how messed up it is, it still tasted great! I made a new batch properly a few days ago, and it got wiped out in 24 hours. Thanks for an awesome treat!

• Sallyreplied on December 30th, 2014 at 8:35 am

Amazing. Just amazing! You can’t go wrong with this combo of ingredients I guess. 😉

Benposted March 25, 2015 at 9:22 pm

I’ve made this twice, and literally could not stop myself from inhaling it all within a few days/a week. And I’m planning on making it with cinnamon chips instead of chocolate chips soon ;). I might just die lol.

Benposted October 1, 2015 at 5:09 pm

I’ve made this a few times, and it’s delicious (although my experiment with cinnamon chips wasn’t all that I thought it was going to be). However, the last couple of times that I’ve made it, it hasn’t gone so well.

Last year, I used a half-sheet pan that my roommate left behind, but this year, I brought one from home, and it just seems bigger. The crackers spread a lot more while it is baking. Also, I think that my oven this year may be running hot, because some of the toffee starts burning on the bottom and right side. I don’t have a thermometer to test it, though.

Besides the two differences that I’ve mentioned (different pan, different oven), I’m using nonstick aluminum foil instead of parchment paper. I just get really frustrated and discouraged when something that I spend money on and put effort into turns out badly :(.