30 Minute Homemade Soft Pretzels.

Soft pretzels are so much easier than you think! This recipe will take you little time and effort. Top them with salt, cinnamon-sugar, and dunk in your favorite pretzel dips.

30 Minute Homemade Soft Pretzels - soft, chewy, and EASY! Recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

I always thought homemade pretzels were time consuming, an arduous task, an impossible recipe to master, and quite honestly… a headache to make.  Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised when Kevin and I began our pretzel making journey at 8pm one evening… and ate them fresh from the oven by 8:30pm. They are much more bread-y and roll-like than standard pretzels, but I kinda like that.

Today I’m sharing a homemade pretzel recipe taking you less time than it takes to get a fancy manicure. Less time to cool a cupcake. I make a lot of cookies and it’s safe to say that these pretzels are SO much easier than any cookie I’ve ever made.  A homemade pretzel recipe that is SO simple… you’ll wonder why pretzel making seems so hard.

There is NO mixer needed and all of the 5 (yes, 5!!) ingredients are probably sitting in your pantry right now.  Except for the water, which shouldn’t really count as an ingredient, right?!

And for all of you looking to make a few healthier resolutions next week, I’m happy to share that these pretzels are whole wheat!  With a miniscule fat content as well. And I must speak from experience here, they will be the best running fuel to come out of your oven.

Let’s begin our quick little pretzel making journey, shall we? First, you’re going to stir a packet of yeast into a bowl of warm water – 1.5 cups of water to be exact.  Do not be afraid of yeast! Trust me, I was too. But you are not waiting for any dough to rise in today’s recipe. It’s simply another ingredient, like adding salt or something.  Not so bad, right?

Give the water and yeast a nice mix around in the bowl.  There will be some yeast lumps floating around. That’s ok, I promise.  Next, add a bit of sugar and salt. Mix, mix, mix by hand. Easy easy easy.

No electric mixer required to make this pretzel dough! It’s a miracle recipe.

Next, stir in your flour. If you’ve been counting, that’s the fifth and final ingredient. Use 3 cups of flour at first.  I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and 2 cups of all-purpose flour* (read below for notes about the taste/texture of the whole wheat vs white flour pretzels).

As I mixed the dough, I added about 3/4 -1 cup more of all-purpose flour. Keep adding flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Poke the dough with your finger – if it bounces back, it is ready to knead.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough for about 3 minutes and shape into a ball. With the floured surface, I ended up using 4.25 cups of flour total.

How to Make Homemade Pretzels

Time to (rock &) roll.  No rolling pin required! Just your hands and a sharp knife. Cut ball of dough into 1/3 cup sections. Honestly, this measurement does not have to be exact. Use as much or little dough for each pretzel as you wish – the size of the pretzel is completely up to you.  My pretzels were standard size, like the frozen soft pretzels you buy from the store, and I used 1/3 cup of dough for each pretzel.

Roll the dough into a rope. As even in diameter as you can get it. My ropes were twenty inches long. Again, this measurement will depend on how large you want the pretzels. Shape the pretzel. Once you have your long rope, take the ends and draw them together so the dough forms a circle. Twist the ends, then bring them towards yourself and press them down into a pretzel shape. You all know what pretzels look like, but here is a helpful visual.

At this point, you can go ahead and dunk your pretzels into a baking soda/boiling water bath. I did it for these pretzels. This step takes a bit more time and I didn’t use it for the pretzels you see here.  Doing that step will create that iconic golden brown exterior and pretzel taste. But again, you can skip it because you’ll be broiling the pretzels for a quick 5 minutes.

Time for an egg-wash.  I hardly count this as an ingredient. Simply beat an egg, pour it into a shallow bowl or pie dish, give the shaped pretzel a nice bath (both sides) and sprinkle with salt. I used coarse sea salt – the kind you fill your grinder with.  You could also use pretzel salt, which is sold in specialty baking stores. Or cinnamon sugar.

(See below for a cinnamon-sugar soft pretzel photo and how-to!)

Now it’s time to for the oven. Bake for 10 minutes at 425F degrees. Watch the pretzels rise, expand, and get all puffy in the oven!  Turn the oven to broil for the last 5 minutes to get the tops nice and brown.  Only do this step if you did not do the baking soda bath I mentioned a few paragraphs above. Be sure to watch them closely in this step – you don’t want them to burn.

*A preliminary note: Most of the photos in this post show a pretzel made with half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour. I must share with you that using all white flour will give you fluffier pretzels. Always a good thing! The whole wheat version is soft, but it is much chewier and heartier than the all-white flour version.

The picture above show the pretzels made with strictly white flour (no whole wheat flour). They are lighter in color and a bit fluffier. We like them both ways though!

Homemade Soft Pretzels

Yield: 8-10

Soft pretzels are so much easier than you thought. This recipe will take you little time and effort. Top them with salt, cinnamon-sugar, and dunk in your favorite pretzel dips.

• 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) warm water (lukewarm, no need to take temperature)
  • 1 packet active dry or instant yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon (8g) granulated sugar
  • 3.75 - 4.25 cups (480-530g) all-purpose flour + more for work surface (or mix of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour)
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • coarse sea salt for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir with a spoon until fairly mixed, about 1 minute. Some clusters of yeast will remain. Add salt and sugar; stir until fairly combined. Slowly add 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough is thick. Add 3/4 cup more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. If it is still sticky, add up to 1/2 cup more. Poke the dough with your finger - if it bounces back, it is ready to knead.
  3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough for about 3 minutes and shape into a ball. With a sharp knife, cut ball of dough into 1/3 cup sections. This measurement does not have to be exact - use as much or little dough for each pretzel as you wish - the size of the pretzel is completely up to you.
  4. Roll the dough into a rope with an even diameter. My ropes were twenty inches long. This measurement will depend how large you want the pretzels. Once you have your long rope, take the ends and draw them together so the dough forms a circle. Twist the ends, then bring them towards yourself and press them down into a pretzel shape. See above for link to visual instructions.
  5. This fifth step is optional: Whisk 9 cups of water and 1/2 cup baking soda together in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Place a pretzel onto a large slotted spatula and dip into the boiling water for 20-30 seconds. Any more than that and your pretzels will have a metallic taste. The pretzel will float. Lift the pretzel out of the water and allow as much of the excess water to drip off.  Place pretzel onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the pretzels. Read why this is a good option here. But again, it's not necessary and I did not do it for these pretzels.
  6. In a small bowl, beat the egg and pour into a shallow bowl or pie dish. Dunk the shaped pretzel into the egg wash (both sides). Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes at 425F degrees. Turn the oven to broil and bake for 5 more minutes to brown the tops. Watch closely to avoid burning. I do the 5 minute broil no matter if I do step 5 or not.
  8. Allow to cool and enjoy. Serve warm or at room temperature. Pretzels may be stored in an airtight container or zipped top bag for up to 3 days (will lose softness).
  9. Make ahead tip: Pretzels freeze well, up to 2 months. To reheat, bake frozen pretzels at 350°F (177°C) for 20 minutes or until warmed through. The prepared pretzel dough can be refrigerated for up to one day or frozen in an airtight container for 2-3 months. Thaw frozen dough in the refrigerator overnight. Refrigerated dough can be shaped into pretzels while still cold, but allow some extra time for the pretzels to puff up before the baking soda bath and baking.

Aren’t soft pretzels easy?

For the cinnamon-sugar version, bake the pretzels as directed without an egg wash. Remove them from the oven after 10 minutes. Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter and brush the tops of the pretzels with it. Mix together 1/3 cup granulated sugar with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle over each pretzels. Return to the oven for 5 more minutes at 425F. (do not broil).

Cinnamon-Sugar Soft Pretzels - homemade pretzels are so much easier (and quicker) than you think! Use my easy dough recipe.

In the fall, give my Pumpkin Praline Soft Pretzels a try.

Pumpkin Praline Soft Pretzels

How has everyone’s holiday been so far? Lots of sweet treats, family, walks, champagne, and puppy time here!

Sarah and Sally

Learn how to make the EASIEST soft pretzels at home! Grab the recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com
Very easy soft pretzels made at home! This is a family favorite recipe.

467 Responses to “30 Minute Homemade Soft Pretzels.”

Kerriposted March 26, 2015 at 7:17 pm

I’ve never bought yeast before but in searching I see either active dry or instant, not active instant. What is the exact type of yeast used?

• Sallyreplied on March 27th, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Sorry about that Kerri – either active dry or instant yeast works with these pretzels.

Tina Lposted April 15, 2015 at 2:56 am

After failing with another pretzel recipe I decided to attempt making these ones.
    They are amazing, quick and tasty. My daughter said they taste like shop ones :)

Alisiposted April 15, 2015 at 3:55 pm

I am planning to use this for a youth activity tonight so i tested it out this morning. Delicious:-) I cut the recipe in half so i can have small groups of youth working on small batches. Halving the recipe worked out wonderfully! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

Deepposted April 17, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Do I keep the dough to rise for some time before shaping it into pretzels and baking it?

Vamaposted April 25, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Is it possible to substitute egg in this recipe?

ireneposted April 28, 2015 at 10:06 am

Hi Sally. My daughters wedding is in July and we were planning on buying pretzels for wedding favors. (There is an old tradition of giving bread, honey & salt) When I found your site I’m actually thinking of making them instead. I will need around 200 so my first question is, What is the best way to store these. I see no way I can make 200 in one day. Can I freeze them? Should I store them in an air tight container? Second question. I’d like to add honey to the recipe for part of the tradition. How much would you suggest I add to the batter? I will be putting salt on them also so I don’t think brushing honey on the pretzel then salting would work. What are your thoughts? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

• Sallyreplied on April 29th, 2015 at 10:48 am

Hi Irene! What a wonderful idea for your daughter’s wedding. I suggest making all of the pretzels in batches over several days. Freeze them in freezer ziplock bags after they have completely cooled. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving/gifting. For the honey, use 1 Tablespoon of honey instead of the sugar in the dough.

Catherineposted May 21, 2015 at 3:21 am

I just made these at 7:00am for my boyfriend to take into work.

Whilst mine resembled buns more than pretzels, they smelt and looked amazing! Can’t wait to hear feedback!

(I made the cinnamon sugar version) x

ivonaposted May 30, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Omg thanks for the recipe! just made them and there amazing !!!

Sashaposted June 5, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Can we say AMAZING!!! Thank you soooo much Hon
    My daughter loves these!

Catherineposted June 15, 2015 at 5:50 am

Hi Sally!

I made these before using your recipe and they turned out really well. I’d really like to make them into bite sized cinnamon pretzel bites. Is there any adjustments that I would need to make?

Dad and Jacksonposted June 15, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Super fun and easy to do! They’re still cooking now, but they sure look amazing!

Christenposted June 24, 2015 at 3:44 pm

These look and sound wonderful! Is there a gluten free (flour) option you would recommend to make these?

• Sallyreplied on June 25th, 2015 at 7:00 am

I haven’t found one I love yet for these pretzels. If you test any out, let me know what you think!

Traciposted June 28, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Yummy and FUN! My daughter and I just made these. The first batch was the cinnamon sugar pretzels. They were kinda janky in shape, but tasted great! We didn’t give them the baking soda bath. The second batch was regular salted pretzels and we did use the baking soda bath and the egg bath. They are beautiful…….and fluffy……and golden. Totally professional looking (almost!). Thanks for a great, and FUN, recipe!

Craig Portellposted July 5, 2015 at 9:42 am

WOW! Just made these in Mongolia! They took me home when we used to eat frozen ones in the microwave. But they are SO much better! This won’t be the last time I make these!

Merciposted July 6, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Recently made these 30-minute pretzels. My boyfriend from Philadelphia really liked them and said they were better than Auntie Anne’s (he doesn’t really like Auntie Anne’s, but I do). Due to user error, it took me way longer than 30 minutes, but I’m a new cook-in-training. If anyone wants to check it out, here is a link to my pretzel post https://wordpress.com/post/94140981/22/.

Fionaposted July 16, 2015 at 8:57 am

Hi Sally, I’m from Australia, I tried this recipe tonight and the dough turned out great however when I went to bake them for 10 mins, I found the pretzels still undercooked, I’m not sure if this is because I may have kneaded the dough too much or the oven heat conversion to Celsius. Do you know what the temperature would be in Celsius? What should the texture of the end product be like? Mine were tough :(

• Sallyreplied on July 17th, 2015 at 7:39 am

425F is 218C. Were you baking at a lower temperature? These pretzels should be soft and chewy, not tough. Over-kneading will result in a tough pretzel. Only 3 minutes.

Sabrinaposted July 21, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Can I use this recipe for pretzel pizza crust?

• Sallyreplied on July 21st, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I can’t see why not!

• Sabrinareplied on July 22nd, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Worked great as pizza crust!!  Thanks!

KathrynZedaposted July 21, 2015 at 3:13 pm

JUST made these and they are INCREDIBLE especailly with a spicy cheese sauce!! 10/10 :)

Christineposted July 26, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Hi Sally!

Just made these pretzels. First time every making them and they were awesome! I picked up this awesome Blue Point mustard at a farmers’ market and was craving pretzels ever since and found your recipe. I dipped all of them in boiling water and used half cup whole wheat and they turned out delicious! Check it out! http://diagnosisdelicious.tumblr.com/

Try this mustard, it’s made with Blue Point oatmeal stout and goes perfect with the pretzels. http://www.missamy.com/

angincambposted August 14, 2015 at 4:38 am

Just found this recipe and already made it twice! Both times I made some pretzel dogs and with the left over dough made regular pretzels once and the second time I fashioned the dough into a “bagel” and used them as such the next day with cream cheese. Yum. Thanks for the easy and great recipe.

Christineposted August 19, 2015 at 9:01 pm

do you think these soft pretzels or the pretzel bites recipe could be made into pretzel burns or rolls? btw, love your website!
    keep up the great work!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2015 at 8:27 am

Readers have done it before, yes!

Brynjaposted September 2, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Hi Sally. I have made the cinnamon sugar pretzels a few times and every time it sticks to the parchment paper and I have to cut off the bottom of the pretzel. I have even buttered the parchment paper and I get the same result. Is there any way to avoid the pretzels sticking? I absolutely love this recipe and am always disappointed when I have to cut the bottoms off.

• Sallyreplied on September 3rd, 2015 at 8:27 am

Try a silicone baking mat– no sticking at all.

Maiaposted September 12, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I was browsing food blogs and when my five-year-old saw this picture, he said “Can we make those?” We had all the ingredients except for egg so we made the cinnamon sugar version. We made some very creatively shaped pretzels :) This recipe is great for kids, simple and with quick results. We were both happy with it and next time I want to try the baking soda bath! We used all white whole wheat flour and it tasted good to us, but then, we’re used to it.

Lisaposted September 26, 2015 at 6:54 am

What a great recipe! Spur of the moment – thought I would give it a try and 45 minutes later, we have beautiful pretzels. It took me a little longer, as I made smaller pretzels so ended up with 16.  I did the boiling water dunk, but had a couple that I left as a test to see which we liked best – definitely the ones that we dunked!  Thanks! I am about to make another batch, but make pretzel bites for dipping in sauces for cocktails by the pool today.

Becky Vosburghposted September 27, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I have a question for you.
    I want to make one large pretzel with the dough of one batch.

At what temperature and time should I bake it?
    T hanks

Jennaposted November 7, 2015 at 1:19 pm

These pretzels are amazing! I was cautious about trying them, but they turned out amazing, they tasted just like from the bakery! Thanks Sally

Emma matthewsposted November 9, 2015 at 4:51 pm

What sort of flour would I use for these in the UK? Would it be plain flour or strong bread flour?? Can’t wait to try them!

• Gwynethreplied on November 20th, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Strong flour because it’s the best flour for breads and you will need to stretch your bread to make the pretzel shapes. I’m taking Food Technology as my GCSE and we learnt that strong flour is the best flour for bread !!

Hope this helps x

Lizzyposted November 14, 2015 at 12:00 am

Hello! Super delicious! I actually halved the recipe which made 6 pretzels. I followed the recipe, including the baking soda wash. After they were perfectly baked, I added some melted butter. We devoured them and then heated the remaining ones on high in a non-stick skillet. Perfect!!

Gwynethposted November 20, 2015 at 7:35 pm

To be precise, how many grams of flour would you use???

1 4 5 6