Homemade Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies.

Soft-baked and delicious Oatmeal Creme Pies are easy to make at home. None of the artificial stuff! They taste better than the original too.

Copycat Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies by sallysbakingaddiction.com. They even taste better than the originals!

I’m feeling sort of nostalgic today. Well, I was feeling it yesterday when I made these. And again today as I enjoy them.

I remember eating Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies when I was little. Unwrapping and crumpling the wrapper between my fingers, trying desperately (and failing) to stuff the whole squishy soft cookie sandwich into my mouth all at once. I LOVED oatmeal creme pies! And definitely still do.

I haven’t had them in a long time – homemade cookies and cupcakes have taken precedence over my favorite mass-produced packaged snack, but that doesn’t mean I don’t remember how incredible they are.  So… I set out to bake my own from scratch.

Little Debbie… Little Sally, whatever.

I made Oatmeal Pumpkin Creme Pies last fall and adored them. The oatmeal cookies are tiny, puffy, and very chewy. They have texture. I filled them with a pumpkin cream cheese frosting, one of the frostings I developed in my pumpkin rampage last September. This pumpkin version isn’t particularly a copycat recipe to Little Debbie, as the cookies had some texture and chew and they were very small in size.

Today’s oatmeal cookies are made with super soft, large, and delicate oatmeal cookies – full of brown sugar, molasses, and butter. The cookies melt in your mouth. I sandwiched them between a bright white vanilla creme center. They are much oat-ier than Little Debbie’s version. Sometimes I wonder where the oats are in hers!

Are you ready for these?

How to make Copycat Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies at home. My readers say these are even better than the original!

Let me begin by telling you how much butter you’ll need for this entire recipe. 2 and 1/2 sticks just for the cookies and 1 and 1/2 sticks for the creme filling. New Years resolutions can take the back seat! These are not a healthy cookie and I do not suggest making them into a healthy cookie. They are oatmeal creme pies, not diet food.

And are worth every single bite!

The source for this copycat recipe does not call for ground cloves, but I wanted to pack some flavor into the buttery oatmeal cookie. Paired with cinnamon, cloves are one of my favorite spices to bake with. I love how pungent it is in my Chocolate Gingerbread Bundt Cake.

Good to note: for the cookie’s proper texture and spreadability, it is imperative to use quick oats in these cookies. Old-fashioned whole rolled oats will not work. You want very fine, small pieces of oats in the dough. Since I prefer whole rolled oats in my granola recipes, my pantry is never stocked with the quick kind. I make my own quick oats if I need them for a recipe. For today, I measured 3 cups of whole rolled oats and pulsed them in the food processor 4-5 times. Now you have quick oats! Easy, right?

The cookie dough is quite thick; I had to stop the mixer after about 10 seconds to mix the rest by hand. Unlike most of my cookie recipes, this dough does not require chilling prior to baking. More often that not, I chill my cookie dough before baking since cold dough assures a thicker cookie. Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies are not thick cookies, so not dough chilling is necessary. You want the cookies to spread and stretch out in the oven.

I used my favorite OXO large cookie scoop (thanks for the gift, Amy!) to scoop the cookies into uniform sized balls. Typically, I do not use a cookie scoop for my cookies. But I knew I needed one today since the cookies have to all be equal in size to sandwich together. If you do not have a cookie scoop, be sure to roll 2 Tablespoons of dough for each cookie.

Allow the cookies to cool completely before filling. The creme center is unlike many copycat creme center recipes I’ve found before. There is no shortening, marshmallow creme, corn syrup, or gelatin. I do not use shortening in my frosting recipes,; just not a fan of the texture!

My creme filling isn’t a dead ringer of Little Debbie’s, but it’s just perfect for us.

I am infatuated with these oatmeal creme pies! I can honestly say that they are one of the best cookies I’ve ever made. The taste comparison to Little Debbie’s version is uncanny!

They are soft, ultra-moist, and squishy like Miss Debbie’s. I made them large, reminiscent of the originals (2 Tablespoons of dough in each cookie – 4 in the whole cookie sandwich). When you eat one, the filling will squeeze out the sides – perfect for licking the creme around the edges. Get ready to have some sticky fingers.

Some of my cookies had a slight chew around the edges, Not much, but those were the ones I left in the oven for 11 minutes. The centers of the cookies will simply melt in your mouth. Soft cookies, creamy filling, brown sugar/molasses taste. Pure heaven right here.

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Homemade Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies

They're better than the original!

Yield: 14-15 sandwiches

• 1 and 1/4 cups unsalted butter (2.5 sticks), softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 Tablespoon dark molasses
  • 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats (NOT whole-rolled oats)

Creme Filling

• 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons heavy cream (using anything with less fat will result in a much less creamy consistency)
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt, as needed

Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.

With a stand or handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugars together at medium speed until light and creamy. Add egg, vanilla, and molasses, scraping down the sides as needed. Set aside.

In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Whisk it all around. Add the quick oats and combine.

With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients. The dough will be quite thick and you may have to mix it all by hand after a few seconds in the mixer. Drop dough with a large cookie scoop, or make sure each ball of dough is 2 Tablespoons in measurement. Cookies will spread in the oven, so drop each ball of dough 2 inches apart.

Bake for 10 minutes, until cookies are lightly golden around the edges. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the filling: With a stand or handheld mixer, beat butter for about 1 minute until creamy. Add the powdered sugar and mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. Pour in heavy cream and vanilla extract. Mix on high for 3-4 minutes until fluffy. Taste and add a pinch or two of salt, as needed. If filling is way too thick, add a couple more teaspoons of heavy cream. Spread 1.5 Tablespoons of cream filling on the bottom side of half of cookies; top with remaining cookies, right side up.

Cookies stay fresh and soft (with creme filling) at room temperature for 2 days in an airtight container.  After that, store in the refrigerator to keep the creme center fresh.   These are best eaten within 2 days.

cookies are adapted from myrecipes.com

Here are my Oatmeal Pumpkin Creme Pies. I made them for a bake sale last September.

Oatmeal Pumpkin Creme Sandwiches

Try my Giant Oatmeal Creme Pie recipe next… it’s major!

This recipe makes 1 Giant Oatmeal Creme Pie - like Little Debbie, but bigger and better!

167 Responses to “Homemade Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies.”

danceswcooksposted January 27, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Errrrrr, I never buy quick–cooking oats…What happens if you use the regular oats? Has anyone tried reg oats? Thanks.

julieposted February 11, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Holy Moly.
    These were so easy and so delicious! My boyfriend loved oatmeal cream pies as a kid. I made these for his birthday and he loved them!
    …then again, I have yet to try a “Sally” recipe that isn’t simply fantastic. : )

porcheposted February 21, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Wow, mine did not spread at ALL… granted I totally forgot 1 whole stick of butter for the batter. shocked at how much u have to use n how much butter just wasted. Anyways I wondered y it was so dry when I mixed it together LOL at that point I added the forgotten butter n mixed that into the batter. N batter still didnt spread. It’s funny these r exactly how thick I would love other recipes to turn out but the one time I need them flat they fluff up…. great. Major fail, taste okay but they don’t even look like urs or original creme pies. Made the frosting as it says n they just taste like really sweet thick frosting. Not really what I remember creme pies tasting like. Well I fault myself for forgeting some butter n i fault the show whisker wars for distracting me with their man beards. what a shame. I will try again.

porcheposted February 21, 2015 at 8:47 pm

So they say if u can’t succeed try try again. N I did Just that, this time of course I followed it step by step. Not forgetting any ingredients and I have to say Im pretty disappointed not that they don’t taste really good, the cookie n icing together is flavorful n sweet. But that’s just it for me it’s two oatmeal cookies smooshed together with frosting In the middle. cookies didn’t spread out much, n the creme for the creme pie was just too much like sugary frosting. It’s a nice alternative to the original but for me it’s just not what I love about those store bought pies. I have a huge sweet tooth, but even these were too sweet for me to enjoy n that was purely because of the frosting. Weird cus there’s so many great reviews, n this is my second time making them, but they just weren’t my kind of creme pie. Would love to know how they make the original creme filling.

Keshiaposted March 22, 2015 at 3:29 pm

The only thing I changed in this recipe was using honey in place of molasses. When baking I used two different sheets. For some reason all of the cookies on one sheet went flat and spread out all together. I think I put too many cookies on it. However, the other sheet of cookies turned out perfect! The icing turned out great too. I ended up having less cookies because of the first batch but the rest of them were seriously so good. My family had some and they absolutely loved them! I highly recommend making these and I will definitely be making them again!

christybposted May 22, 2015 at 2:29 am

I would love to try theses cookies. they look incredible and the comments on them sound even better. I have most of the ingredients but molasses. can I leave it out or substitute it for a similar ingredient?

• Sallyreplied on May 22nd, 2015 at 9:26 am

The molasses really gives the cookies that special flavor. Keeping that in mind, you can leave it out. There aren’t any similar subs.

LaTriceposted May 24, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Oh, my gosh!! I LOVE Oatmeal Creme Pies when I was growing up, and to this day, I still enjoy them. I’m looking forward to making this recipe!! :-)

Kennedy Coleposted May 29, 2015 at 9:22 am

I love oatmeal crème pies! So naturally I’d love these. I’ll have to try them soon! You’re such an inspiration, Sally! Have a great day!

Lillian Roseposted June 3, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Hello Sally! I don’t normally leave people comments on the recipes that I try, but I just wanted to thank you for sharing. My sweetheart and I just redid our kitchen and this was the first thing I made in it to christen it in. The man is addicted to Little Debbie’s Oatmeal Creme Pies, but with this recipe I think I may have turned him. This is definitely going to be a recipe to put in the recipe box! Thank you so much!

Sarahposted July 4, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for sharing this fantastic recipe, Sally!  I loved oatmeal creme pies as a kid, and these were a delicious throwback! I brought them to a cookout today for July 4th and they were a huge hit!  Everyone loves a taste of their childhood, plus they were super easy to transport.  Another great recipe! :-)

Jordanposted August 10, 2015 at 9:17 am

These are amazing! My sister who has celiac made the comment a few weeks ago that she hadn’t had an oatmeal creme pie in over 3 years since she’s been on a gluten free diet. I converted this recipe substituting gluten free flour and oats and it turned out perfectly! I took them over to her last night and I thought we were going to eat the entire batch! I will definitely be making these again! The filling is much better than the original!

Emilyposted August 19, 2015 at 7:07 pm

I know it’s mentioned in the recipe not to but do you think half and half would work instead on the heavy cream? I’ve made them before and know how delicious they are. I’d love to make them but I’m missing the heavy cream.

• Sallyreplied on August 19th, 2015 at 7:23 pm

half and half works in a pinch!

Meganposted September 17, 2015 at 3:50 am

Hi Sally, I’ve been following your blog for over a year now and have made so many of your recipes… They are always a hit! I made this recipe today for the first time, and I was feeling a little lazy so I spread all of the cookie dough into a parchment lined 9 X 13 pan and baked it for 25 minutes at 350 in my convection oven. I just spread the frosting over the whole thing when they cooled, and voila, oatmeal cream pie bars! They turned out excellent, thicker than baking them into cookies. I figured I’d share this for other readers who want to make these, but are crunched for time. Thanks for another great recipe!!

Marianneposted October 4, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Hi Sally! Do you know if this cookie dough bakes the same if it has rested in the fridge for a day? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on October 5th, 2015 at 9:56 am

Marianne, you can keep this cookie dough in the fridge for a day or two. Let it sit on the counter for 20-30 minutes before rolling– it will be a little stiff.