Mini Powdered Sugar Donut Muffins.

Mini muffins that taste like powdered sugar donuts. Baked, not fried!

Baked Powdered Sugar Donut Holes. Get the recipe at

After taking last weekend off, it felt really good being in the kitchen today.  I actually missed dirty dishes. Ha!  Yeah right.  What was first on the menu?  Why, donuts of course!  Oh and cupcakes. More on those later. 😉

Like a giddy little kid on Christmas morning, I hopped out of bed to make a batch of my Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins today. As I began creaming the butter and sugar together for the batter, I realized that I forgot a very imperative ingredient at the store last night.  Nutella!  I know. I KNOW!  I’m so ashamed. Duh Sally.

So I did what any normal person would do. I made teeny tiny powdered sugar donut muffins instead.

Baked Powdered Sugar Donut Holes. Get the recipe at

I simply love powdered sugar donuts.  Filled with raspberry jam, chocolate cream, or simply plain – I can never say no to those snowy covered donuts staring at me behind the counter.  Today’s mini donut muffins are not filled with anything, but they come with a lot of sweet flavor and cakey texture.  I call them donut muffins because they taste like dense cakey bite-sized donuts.  We can even just go ahead and call them munchkins. 😉

The donut muffins are made with white-whole wheat flour, are incredibly soft, and very moist thanks to the creamed butter  and milk in the batter.  How did they come together? Let’s find out.

Baked Powdered Sugar Donut Holes. Get the recipe at

First, I creamed 5 Tablespoons of butter with 1/2 cup of sugar with a handheld electric mixer.  You will use the other 3 Tablespoons from the stick of butter for the powdered sugar coating.  No worries there!  I chose butter as the fat in this recipe because I wanted its rich flavor in the baked donut muffins, as opposed to using a neutral tasting oil.

To the creamed butter and sugar, add 1 egg, vanilla extract, and milk. I used vanilla almond milk in today’s donut muffins, but cow’s milk, soy milk, or rice milk will be just fine.  Put your electric mixer down and manually stir in your dry ingredients to the same bowl.

We’re using flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and a touch of salt as the dry ingredients.   I was going to leave the cinnamon out, but I just love adding it to my baked goods. And it does not overpower the batter at all.  In fact, I truly feel the cinnamon in the batter made these donut muffins taste even better than any powdered sugar donut I’ve ever tasted.  Don’t leave out the cinnamon!

Baked Powdered Sugar Donut Holes. Get the recipe at

The batter will be quite thick once everything is mixed together.  Try not to overmix everything, as overmixing will lead to dry, crumbly, dense, and hard muffins.  I’d rather eat a green bean covered in powered sugar than a dry, hard muffin.

Bake the donut muffins in a mini-muffin pan. Or even as regular standard size muffins.  I got 20 mini little munchkins out of this recipe, perfect to enjoy a few myself and share the rest. :)

The donut muffins are quite quick in the oven – taking only about 11-12 minutes at 400F.  Be sure to watch them closely before or around the 11 minute mark.  When they begin to brown around the edges, they are done.

Mini muffins that taste like powdered sugar donuts. Baked, not fried! @sallybakeblog

As the mini muffins cool, get everything together for the coating. And when I say everything, I mean melted butter and powdered sugar. Easy peasy.  About 3/4 cup of powdered sugar and 3 Tablespoons of melted butter will do the trick. Submerge the muffins into the melted butter then plop them into the powdered sugar. Coat the muffins all the way around. A little bit of powdered sugar does NOT go a long way – you really want to coat each one fairly well.

Enjoy the little munchkins with your little munchkins. Or in my case, plopped on the couch in my jammies with a cup of coffee. I love lazy mornings.  And there is everything “lazy” about these donut muffins. They are SO effortless to make!

I think I found my new favorite breakfast – and I’m pretty sure you’re going to flip for these as well.  You could even add cinnamon to the powdered sugar to make them cinnamon/sugar coated. PS: bite-sized treats are more fun to eat!

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Mini Powdered Sugar Donut Muffins

Yield: 18-20

Mini muffins that taste like powdered sugar donuts! Baked, not fried.

• 1/3 cup (5 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup milk (cow's milk, soy milk, almond, or rice are fine)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour) (measured correctly)
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer, cream 1/3 cup butter and granulated sugar together on medium speed. Mix in the egg, vanilla extract, and milk. Gently stir in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt by hand. DO NOT overmix – stir until *just* combined.
  3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin - about 2/3 of the way full. I got exactly 20 mini muffins from the batter. Fill the empty muffin tins halfway with water for even baking.
  4. Bake for 11-12 minutes, watching the muffins closely. They are done when the edges begin to brown and the centers are set. Allow muffins to cool for about 5 minutes.
  5. While the muffins are cooling, prepare the topping. Melt 3 Tablespoons of butter for about 30 seconds in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir and stick back in microwave if not fully melted. Pour the powdered sugar in a separate small bowl. Fully submerge each muffin into the melted butter and then into the powdered sugar. Coat all sides generously and evenly with powdered sugar. Use more melted butter or powdered sugar if needed. Set upright on cooling rack. Donut muffins taste best eaten on the same day. They will stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Bet you’re wondering about those Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon- Sugar Muffins, huh?  Well if you’re new around here – you MUST check them out.

Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins by Sally's Baking Addiction

Do you like bite-sized treats for breakfast? I obviously do.

Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins

Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins

Glazed Chocolate Donut Holes

Glazed Chocolate Donut Holes

130 Responses to “Mini Powdered Sugar Donut Muffins.”

Sarah Eposted February 14, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I have never thought to make these at home and I’m not sure why. I’m really excited :) Thank you for sharing!

Stopping by from Talent Show Tuesday – pinned to share.

• Sallyreplied on February 14th, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Thanks so much for pinning Sarah! Glad you found these muffins :)

Keelin @2sisters2cities.composted February 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Wow Sally these look so good! I love making muffins and everytime I make them I can’t beleive I don’t make them more. They are so easy and the best fresh out of the oven with a cup of coffee…sighh… I think I will indeed make some sort of muffin this weekend. Thanks!!

• Sallyreplied on February 15th, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Hey Keelin! I love these little mini donut muffins! Sometimes I double my muffin recipes and freeze any extras so I’m never without a muffin :)

Shiraposted March 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Hey Sally,
    Just love your site and recipes… haven’t made one yet but this is It! My all time favourite treats growing up were 1) Big powdered sugar donuts with lemon filling, and 2) those mini donuts covered in powdered sugar from the grocery store! Just… delicious. I developed a severe dairy allergy 12 years ago, so neither have been in my life for so long. People ask all the time how I liiiive without cheese and butter, but I could care less, I miss my treats like those donuts! Anyways, I am so excited to try these, using almond milk and earth balance butter, wondering if you think I could make these in a normal muffin tin? I don’t have a mini… Or would it work to make small balls in a normal muffin tin?
    Thanks :)

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Hi Shira! These mini donuts will definitely work with almond milk and earth balance – no problem at all. BAke them as regular size muffins, rather than mini muffins in a large muffin pan. I think you’ll love them! Let me know how they turn out.

Alexaposted March 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I just have to say these were absolutely amazing!! Made them today and they were sooooo delicious…. At the end I did make some that were coated in cinnamon sugar as well like you had mentioned and they just melted in my mouth! Such a great recipe.. Thanks Sally .. Look forward to trying more if your recipes :)

• Sallyreplied on March 12th, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I love them coated in cinnamon sugar! Thanks so much Alexa, I’m very glad you loved them!

irunfordonutsposted March 15, 2013 at 6:35 pm

These look absolutely delicious — I can’t wait to make some! So glad I came across your blog!

• Sallyreplied on March 17th, 2013 at 9:27 am

I’m so glad you came across my blog as well! Let me know how you like them. :)

Maruposted July 27, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Hi! Ive been eyeing this recipe for MONTHS now. Why do we need to fill the empty tins with water and should we put it in the oven with water in it?

• Sallyreplied on July 28th, 2013 at 9:28 am

Filling the empty tins with water and baking them with water in them will ensure even baking and prevent the pan from warping. Enjoy!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Cornerposted August 11, 2013 at 9:27 am

Sally, I made these and they came out awesome! They are so addicting and I love them :) I posted about them today on my blog. :)

• Sallyreplied on August 11th, 2013 at 10:51 am

Can’t wait to read about them on your blog. Thanks Tina!

Kelseyposted December 7, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Hi Sally! I have a quick question for you… I have been requested to make cupcakes for a party and they want me to use storebought (red and green) frosting. I want them to look nice, so I’m hoping to pipe the frosting on. I was wondering if you know if it works well to pipe the canned frosting. Somewhere I read something about beating the frosting with a mixer first. Thank you for taking time to read this!! Love your recipes by the way, and would be using one if my friends weren’t so dead set on canned frosting. :)

• Sallyreplied on December 8th, 2013 at 10:21 am

Hi Kelsey, if using store-bought – you definitely want to whip or beat the frosting before hand so you incorporate some air into it. Store-bought is very thick and dense frosting. Try whipping it for 3 minutes. I suggest either the Wilton 1M swirl tip or the 12.

Yuriposted December 22, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I just made these and they were so delicious that you just can’t have one! Great baked treat to have for the christmas holiday. Thank you for sharing!

Kirsten | My Kitchen in the Rockiesposted January 28, 2014 at 11:23 am

I thought you are also interested that this site ( stole and republished our pictures. They run ads and get paid for using our work. I just contacted the webhost to take my material down. It appears that this site only uses plagiarized material. I find this very sad, especially since we as honest bloggers put a lot of time into our work.

Wishing you a great day.

• Sallyreplied on January 28th, 2014 at 11:44 am

Thanks Kirsten. This is so frustrating. I appreciate you letting me know! I’ll try to contact them as well.

Samanthaposted February 19, 2014 at 9:09 am

They look delicious! Can these be made as whole donuts using a donut pan? Have you tried this adaptation?

• Sallyreplied on February 19th, 2014 at 9:19 am

I have! They will take about 8-10 minutes in the donut pan.

Meriamposted February 27, 2014 at 10:32 am

These look soooo good and i can’t wait to try them 😉 I was wondering though, does it make a difference if I use oil instead of the butter?

Annaposted February 28, 2014 at 4:06 am

Hi Sally! I’ve been dying to make these. Do you think if I prepare it at night, keep it in the fridge and bake it in the morning, it will still taste as amazing?

• Sallyreplied on February 28th, 2014 at 7:29 am

Hi Anna! Typically batters for muffins, donuts, and cakes must be baked right away as the gluten starts to develop. So no, you cannot prepare the night before. Luckily, the batter takes about 5-10 minutes to throw together before baking.

meenalposted March 13, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Hello,lovely looking muffins.can I replace the milk with buttermilk here..?I had posted a comment earlier but can’t see it anymore.niways,would appreciate ur advice. Thnks.

• Sallyreplied on March 13th, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Definitely! Sorry, I don’t see a previous comment from you. But yes, buttermilk would be fine.

Kate @ Diethoodposted June 23, 2014 at 9:32 pm

HOW could you forget the jar of Nutella?! 😉
    Honestly, I’d rather nibble on these little bites – they sound simply amazing!

nitaposted July 9, 2014 at 1:43 am

Made today with my daughter , she loved it :)

Meganposted July 28, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Used a regular sized muffin pan and baked for 12 minutes. Made 9 muffins. A little hard to put butter and powdered sugar on. Ended up tasting amazing!! definitely using again!! Thanks!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Cornerposted August 1, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Sally, I have made these for the 2nd time, this time in a little mini doughnut form. I love them just as much as the first time. Thank you for an awesome recipe. I blogged about it today:

Shawnposted October 24, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Hi Sally. I love your baking ideas. I am an eleven year old boy. Me and my eighteen year old sister looked through your website and saw so many great things that we will bake and/or make together. Thanks for inspiring me to bake! :)

Inaposted October 29, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Great recipe,is it possible if i use wholewheat flour? thanks

Samiposted February 26, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Made these and my daughter and the day care kids LOVED them. I will be making these in triple batches :) I also added 1/2 tsp of nutmeg. Addicting!

Mariaposted March 11, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I have this babies in the oven right now! I am so excited… They would be great with a dulce de leche filling though!! Well, too sad, I’ll just have to make them again and again (with Nutella) and again (with jam)!!

Chedvaposted May 1, 2015 at 1:06 pm

These were so cute, I had to try them! Unfortunately, my doughnuts didn’t want to stick to the powdered sugar/butter mixture. They ended up kind melting all over the place and became a glazey mess. Still amazing though. Any idea what went wrong?

• Sallyreplied on May 2nd, 2015 at 7:19 am

The donuts were melting? Do you think they were underbaked?

• Chedvareplied on May 3rd, 2015 at 3:52 pm

No no, the doughnuts were perfectly cooked. The butter/confectioners sugar mixture melted off of the doughnuts when I dipped them. Were the doughnuts and the butter supposed to be cold?