Soft & Thick Snickerdoodles.

Making soft, thick, & puffy Snickerdoodles at home is easy. And quick! These soft-baked cinnamon sugar cookies only take me about 25 minutes start to finish.

The BEST Snickerdoodle Cookies - get the recipe at

I like to call these snickerdoodle pillows. Perfect fat, puffy, snickerdoodles. PS: I know my polish is chipping. Cookies are more important.

The BEST Snickerdoodle Cookies - get the recipe at

Much too often you run into snickerdoodle problems. You’re left with lifeless, flat, crispy, and thin cinnamon-sugar cookies. They crunch as you chew. The only remedy is to submerge them into a tall glass of milk. Which is purely delicious.

But what about starting out with a super soft-baked pillowy snickerdoodle?

Snickerdoodles are a timeless classic and have been a favorite of mine forever.  Shocking, I know. They don’t have any chunks or gooey caramel flowing out of them. They are pure, simple, and loaded with cinnamon-sugar.  Like a sugar cookie dressed in a cinnamon sugar outfit. That’s why I love them so much, besides their whimsical name of course. I just adore anything cinnamon-sugary.

Today’s snickerdoodle recipe = take 25 minutes start-to-finish. 30 minutes, tops.  That’s only if you waste time “taste-testing.” Which, is purely necessary when you make snickerdoodles, right?  Gotta make sure that dough is good – over and over and over again. Ahem.

There’s no dough-chilling required. There’s no fancy-pants ingredients required. There’s no secrets. There’s simply no catch. These are the easiest cookies I’ve ever made and by far – the BEST snickerdoodles I’ve ever made.

The BEST Snickerdoodle Cookies - get the recipe at

How do I make them so gosh-darn puffy and soft?  Easy. The ratio of butter to leavener to flour to egg. I do not use shortening in my cookies – I prefer the taste of butter. It took me three tries to get these cookies perfect. I’ve been swimming in snickerdoodles the past two weeks. Cream of tartar and baking soda are needed for the recipe, in lieu of baking powder. Sure, you could use 2 teaspoons of baking powder instead of the cream of tartar + baking soda, but then you won’t really have a snickerdoodle.

Cream of tartar imparts a unique tangy flavor to the cookie, which makes it a classic snickerdoodle.

These cookies should be baked only until the edges begin to brown – about 10-11 minutes, tops. This will keep the interior of the cookie soft and chewy. Baking them for any longer will cause them to brown too much on top and I fear they would harden over time. You’ll want to slightly press down on the cookie with the back of a spoon or fork after you remove them from the oven. They will still be very, very puffy!

The cookies stand the true “soft test” – they remained soft on day 2. In fact, the cinnamon-sugar flavor was pronounced on day 2.  I ate more on day 2 than day 1.  Since they remain so soft, they are the perfect cookie for gift-giving.  I know there are many snickerdoodle lovers out there!

The BEST Snickerdoodle Cookies - get the recipe at

Nom, nom, nom. Go make yourself (and all the snickerdoodle lovers in your life) some cookies.  They’ll be ready before my new coat of nail polish dries.

Soft & Thick Snickerdoodles

Yield: 2 dozen

Cookies have a strong cinnamon taste, as cinnamon is generously used in the dough and the topping. The cookies are very puffy. You may slightly press down on them before baking or after baking to induce spreading.

• 1 cup (2 sticks or 230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 and 1/3 cup (267g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar*
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
  2. Make the topping: toss 1/4 cup granulated sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. Make the cookies: In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter for about 1 minute on medium speed. Get it nice and smooth, then add the sugar on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides as needed. Set aside.
  4. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 different parts. The dough is quite thick and you may have to stir the rest by hand.
  5. Take 1.5 - 2 Tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Roll the dough balls into the reserved cinnamon-sugar topping. Sprinkle extra cinnamon-sugar on top if desired. Bake cookies for 11-12 minutes. The cookies will be very puffy and soft. When they are still very warm, lightly press down on them with the back of a spoon or fork to help flatten them out. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies remain soft & fresh for 7 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
  6. Freezing instructions: Cookies freeze well, up to 3 months. Or you can freeze the cookie dough balls. Roll the dough into balls and then freeze for up to 2 months. You can freeze with cinnamon sugar coating or without, your call. You can bake the frozen cookie dough balls in their frozen state for 1-2 minutes longer than what the recipe states.

*Cream of tartar is required for this recipe. Please see the text of the post for more information.

Do you love thick and puffy cookies? You’ve come to the right place.

Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies

Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies

Mocha Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Mocha Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Soft Gingersnap Molasses Cookies

Soft Gingersnaps

See all of my cinnamon-packed recipes.

The BEST Snickerdoodle Cookies - get the recipe at

427 Responses to “Soft & Thick Snickerdoodles.”

Meredithposted June 3, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Just made these cookies for the second time. They are sooooooooo good! Ate two straight off the cookie sheet :-) Thanks for this quick and easy, perfect recipe!

• Reillyreplied on November 26th, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Omg, I’m 13 and I wanted to do something fun for my parents in Khmer of thanksgiving and all, these cookies are the first to pass my moms master chef standards! Thank you so much! These are so good!

Blancaposted June 10, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I don’t usually write and rave … but this is the best snickerdoodle recipe I’ve ever used. Thanks a million for sharing. I’m sure my Belgian friends will love trying these fabulous cookies!

Alissaposted June 16, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Sally, I had originally tweeted you the first time I tried to make these b/c of the flour ratio and dough texture. I was nervous about retrying but I had promised someone these for their birthday and I was determined to make it work. These are one of those moments that reading through all the comments and seeing your replies to others really helped me out. I was definitely not measuring the flour the way you suggested, so I made that adjustment. I also was very careful to fully incorporate all the dry ingredients into the batter before I added another section. I did this about a cup at a time. Also, your reply to a commenter that it was okay that the dough had a crumblier texture really helped as well.

I made smaller-sized cookies (to fit the cookie boxes I purchased), I did about a tablespoon of dough per ball. Obviously I had to adjust the cooking time but they came out SO GOOD. Even the “reject” cookies I overcooked were still really good– crispy, haha, but good.

I want to thank you for making such detailed recipes. I have always considered myself a cooker rather than a baker. Your recipes/blog really lets me feel more comfortable in the baking world. Little awesome tips like the initial high temp to get the domes on your cupcakes and the way to measure flour make my experience trying to create so much better.

• Sallyreplied on June 16th, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Thank you so much Alissa! I’m so happy these cookies worked out for you. And that you feel confident making my recipes!

Louiseposted June 17, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Do you think these would work with a gluten free all purpose flour or spelt flour? My children are gluten sensitive and would love these!

• Sallyreplied on June 18th, 2015 at 8:28 am

I’ve never experimented with GF flours. However, I’ve had some readers report back saying these cookies worked well with a GF flour!

• mariereplied on October 25th, 2015 at 3:06 am

They absolutely work perfect with gf flour!!

Svetaposted June 18, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Cookies turned out Awesome! The only change I made was to cut down the quantity of baking soda and salt. Thanks!

Cara's Confectionsposted June 26, 2015 at 11:06 am

I hosted a baking camp this week for young girls, and one of the girls made this all by herself! Easy recipe and oh so good! Thank you!!

Ashley Kempposted July 2, 2015 at 7:07 pm

I made these today for my roommate who’s been begging for Snickerdoodles for weeks & they are fantastic (she ate 4 in about 2 minutes)!! Recipe ended up making 3 dozen for me, but that’s okay, the more the merrier!! :) have tried many of your recipes & this was another success!

Gposted July 13, 2015 at 11:59 pm

I’m making these for a friend only need about a dozen. If I cut the measurements exactly in half will i still get the same results?

Lucyposted July 14, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Hi Sally! I haven’t made these cookies yet, but they look delicious. I was just wondering: would it be okay to substitute the butter with oil? If it affects the flavour, do you think butter extract would help? And if I can’t substitute it with oil, is there anything else I can use? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on July 14th, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Hi Lucy! It is never a good idea to use oil in place of butter in cookie recipes– the butter is the main ingredient here!

Brenda Mposted July 19, 2015 at 11:35 pm

I made these tonight and they were great. I used my Kitchen Aid and had no problem bringing the dough together. It reminded me of a cookie dough I had made once with cream cheese; just the right consistency. I had to use margarine as the butter was frozen and they were still spectacular. Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Excellent recipe!

Maddieposted July 21, 2015 at 6:04 pm

These were so good! I made them for a bunch of 8th grade guys and they LOVED them- I think they were all gone in a matter of 2 minutes.I used coconut oil instead of butter, and it worked out pretty well, just the dough was pretty crumbly. Thank you so much for this recipe!

Julie Vozobuleposted July 28, 2015 at 9:33 pm

This is the first time I’ve ever made Snickerdoodles and it won’t be the last. These were so easy to make and very yummolicious.

Victoriaposted July 29, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Hi!  The recipe looks really good and I would really love to try it but I was wondering can I use salted butter instead of unsalted butter ?  Could I just cut out the salt but use salted butter ?

• Sallyreplied on July 30th, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Yep, that works. I’d leave out the salt.

Christinaposted August 2, 2015 at 11:53 pm

You must be making absolutely enormous cookies! I did not get 2 dozen. I did not get 3 dozen. I got 4 dozen cookies. Thankfully they are super awesome and a perfect replacement for my old snickerdoodle recipe that I lost. Thanks you mucho bigness!

Anastasiaposted August 4, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I made these snickerdoodles with my friend as my first time baking and I’m so glad to say they came out so puffy and beautiful and delicious!!!! Thanks Sally!

Sarahposted August 6, 2015 at 7:30 pm

This is my go-to recipe for snickerdoodles. I replaced ⅓ c of flour with cocoa powder, added about ⅓ bag of mini chocolate chips and about 3 shakes of cinnamon and my co-workers loved the cookies. These are a make again, thank you for the basic recipe!

Sarahposted August 6, 2015 at 7:31 pm

I forgot to add, it you place the cookies in the microwave for 10-15 seconds they get the warm just out of the oven taste and texture.

Kristine Bakerposted August 6, 2015 at 9:33 pm

I made these cookies tonight and they are honestly the same cookies that I used to get at this shop near my College.  It was the sole reason that I was heavier in College…well maybe the 4 desserts a day habit with the chips and sodas…but you get the picture.

Thank you for this wonderful recipe!  I can now put an end to my searching for this recipe, because I knew it existed and I knew I could make enough cookies to find it!  Woohoo!

Andreaposted August 23, 2015 at 5:47 am

Hello Sally! I became a big fan of Snickerdoodles after reading Jenny Han’s To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before since these glorious buttery sugar angels have been mentioned so many times. I searched for your recipe and after making it the first time, fell in love! It’s so fool-proof you can never go wrong! I tried making a batch without the sugar-cinnamon topping and instead added lots and lots of chocolate chips. Still came out as wonderful as the original ones. I think I’ve found my Christmas Cookie! Lots of love!

Saraposted September 5, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Just wanted you to know, since I found this recipe in January, I have made it for church functions, baby showers, gifts, and parties and they never fail to be an absolute hit! People actually request that I bring these with me to get-togethers! I’ve tweaked it a little bit because I am vegan but they are the yummiest cookies ever. Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on September 5th, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Amazing– glad to hear it Sara! These are one of my favorite go-to recipes too!

Lucyposted September 5, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Sally, your recipes are amazing! In fact, the other day I even walked to the closest supermarket just so I could get butter to make your XXL sugar cookie. (I normally never buy butter because we rarely use it in Asian cooking. But I love butter, and I treasure it when I can get my hands on some.) That left me with a lot of leftover butter that I was impatiently waiting to use…so I chose one of the recipes I’ve been wanting to make for a long time now: your snickerdoodles. These did not disappoint. I “tested” some of the dough before putting it in and it was probably just as good as the cookies themselves. I overbaked them a little (my mom likes a crisp outside) and within fifteen minutes of them coming out the oven, my mom ate three. Now, I’ve convinced my very-Asian-cuisine-inclined family to buy butter for me, thanks to this recipe! I’ll definitely be making these again (as soon as I get more butter :P).

Jaclynposted September 20, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Sally, I love that I have complete trust in your recipes. They never fail. I was wondering about what would happen if i added some maple extract to this recipe.  In your opinion, would that be too much extra flavor going on?

• Sallyreplied on September 20th, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Not at all! Sounds great. I would stick with 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon.

Daynaposted October 1, 2015 at 1:20 am

After reading all these rave reviews, I must have done something wrong when making these today. The dough was quite dry and the resulting cookies were tough. Very tasty, but not soft and puffy.  I measured the flour the correct way and double checked all ingredients and they flattened out more while baking.  Any ideas on what could have happened?

• Sallyreplied on October 1st, 2015 at 8:57 am

Dayna, are you at high altitude at all? Or did you change anything about the recipe? Fear not. If you try these cookies again, reduce the flour by 1/4 cup. This will help.

• Daynareplied on October 1st, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I followed the recipe exactly and am not at high altitude (well, maybe 500 ft or so! Ha!) but I will try again with less flour.  Thanks for your reply, I will get it right!

assunta saloposted October 5, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Sally, the first section  (read it ) for the sugar content doesn’t match the second section (recipe ) for sugar content.  Is it 1 1/2 cups of sugar or 1 1/3 cups of sugar? I’m confused and want to make these badly!  Thank You

• Sallyreplied on October 5th, 2015 at 12:45 pm

There is 1 and 1/3 cups in the cookie dough and 1/4 in the topping.

• Assunta Saloreplied on October 5th, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Thank You so much Sally, I am a great Italian Cook and Baker, but my older Twins 30 year’s old always want different stuff so I’m on Pinterest Alot!  Thank you so much for responding quickly ,I’m putting them together now. I read alot of your posted recipes, I live down in southern florida. Retired just love to bake and cook, that’s what us italian’s do!!!  Thank you so much!! Have a blessed week!!!

Theaposted October 8, 2015 at 7:07 pm

these cookies are invincible!
    I ran out of flour half-way through and had to use pancake mix, then I ran out of butter and used oil for half.
    I am so impressed

Tina W.posted October 10, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Thank you Sally! I just tried this recipe, but substituted 2 cups oat flour and 1 cup rice flour instead of wheat. I used 1 cup coconut oil and kept all other ingredients exactly according to your directions. The cookies are literally melt-in-your-mouth delicious!!! Awesome! :3

Allisonposted October 11, 2015 at 7:51 pm

I made these tonight..haven’t tried them yet. I didn’t have a dough hook. So I had to make do with my mixer spoons…lol…also had to flour my hands to roll into balls. Hope they taste great…

• hbwnorthwestreplied on November 17th, 2015 at 6:55 pm

This recipe doesn’t work with a dough hook so it’s a good thing you didn’t use one. Use a Kitchenaid with the flat paddle attachment for best results. Personally, I wouldn’t use any other mixer for baking. Once you use one, you’ll know why :)

geri boposted October 13, 2015 at 1:01 am

I have been a cookie baker for 50 years and never made a Snicker doodle.
    I just made these for my grandson, and don’t know when I have been more impressed with a cookie recipe.
    They turned out exactly as shown, and we’re very easy to do.
    Now tell me your recipe for oatmeal rain,  because that is my husband’s favorite, and I can’t get them right!  Need your help. Geri

jessie walkerposted October 18, 2015 at 10:25 am

I made these and mine turned out much more flat than yours. How come yours in the picture look so fluffy? I followed the directions to a T!

Stephanie Sposted October 24, 2015 at 9:16 pm

I don’t have cream of tartar, will these still turn out nice and fluffy with out that one ingrediant?

malloryposted October 27, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I made these cookies last night and they taste perfect.  However, they are flatter and crisper than I would prefer.  I do live at high altitude, but have not had an issue with any other recipe that I’ve made from your site.  Do you happen to have any ideas as to what I can do to get these softer the next time I bake them?  It seems that when I make snickerdoodles they are always crunchy, but any other cookie i make is perfectly soft.

Rikeposted October 31, 2015 at 6:32 am

Hi Sally, I always wanted to make those, because of the name and the place they have in one of my favorite TV-Shows (I have to add that I am European) – I finally tried your recipe yesterday and the cookies turned out just great! Thanks a lot – and I may add that your pumpkin spiced snack bars are in the oven right now! I am truly glad I stumbled over your blog!

Ashleeposted November 1, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Snickerdoodles are my favorite and my mom has made this recipe for me and I love it. Sadly I am now prediabetic and this fluffy cookie recipe is one I do not want to part with. Has anyone ever substituted the recipe with Splenda or Truvia? What about whole wheat pastry or almond flour instead of all-purpose flour? I love fluffy and thick snickerdoodles versus the flat and crispier ones I have had in the past. Is there any way to make this recipe more health friendly?

Shannonposted November 10, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Made these today and initially the dough turned out very crumbly. I’m pretty sure it was my fault as the butter was probably colder than it ought to have been. Anyway, I added 3 tbsp of vanilla yogurt and it made the dough perfect. They also turned out great when I baked them too. So in case this happens to anyone else, vanilla yogurt does the trick! Great recipe!

Jenniferposted November 15, 2015 at 10:47 pm

This is my favorite snickerdoodle recipe. I have made them many times and they always come out perfect and oh so delicious. Thanks for a great recipe!

Janaposted November 16, 2015 at 10:07 am

This is now my go-to recipe for snickerdoodles.  It is perfection!  The cookies turn out light and puffy as long as you don’t overcook them.  It’s also a great recipe to make with the kids as it is quite simple and not time consuming.  Also, as another reviewer mentioned, I appreciate the tips you provide (e.g. how to measure flour correctly).  Thank you!

JSBposted November 16, 2015 at 2:08 pm

OMG! These cookies are just insane!!! Thanks so much for this awesome recipe!

Rebeccaposted November 17, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Made these last night (11/16/2015) and OMG they did not last one minute on the table. I was lucky to save two cookies for my lunch the next day. Very beautiful cookies and soft…Thank you so much for the recipe.

Chadposted November 18, 2015 at 4:48 pm

The best one yet…I made them for my office Thanksgiving potluck and everyone was impressed

1 4 5 6