Breakfast Cookies.

Healthy Breakfast Cookies - Vegan, gluten free, and low in sugar! Get the simple recipe at

Whole grain, all-natural, gluten-free, vegan. No refined sugar, no oil, no butter. 100% clean-eating.

And yes, these cookies actually taste good.

Healthy Breakfast Cookies! Get the simple recipe at

Fact: I eat cookies for breakfast.  A giant healthy cookie, some fruit, and Greek yogurt on the side.  I eat clean breakfasts during the week so I can splurge on the weekends. Life’s all about balance, right?!

These breakfast cookies are so easy to throw together.  All you need is 1 bowl, 30 minutes, and a few healthy ingredients that are highly interchangeable based on what you like.  Start with your base ingredient: oats.  You’ll want to use quick-cooking oats in this cookie recipe.  The quick cooking kind are more “powdery” than whole oats and will give the cookies more structure.  I tried the cookies using whole oats and while they tasted the same, they were falling apart.  Use quick oats. And make sure they are certified gluten free if you are gluten intolerant.

Did you know? You can make your own quick oats. See my note at the bottom of the recipe.

What else is hiding inside these breakfast appropriate cookies?  A few binders: almond butter, apple butter, and 1 mashed banana. If you aren’t a fan of almond butter, you may use peanut butter or sunflower seed butter. Guess what? You can make your own almond butter at home!

Breakfast Cookie Ingredients

Apple butter (which is not the same as applesauce) gives today’s cookies an unbeatable flavor.  I buy my apple butter at the farmer’s market, but my favorite store-bought apple butter is Musselman’s.  It is available in practically all grocery stores in the peanut butter or applesauce aisle.  You could use applesauce instead, just know that the cookies will not be as moist since apple butter is denser in texture than applesauce. Mango butter, pumpkin butter, or any fruit butter would be fine substitutes as well.

Sweetening the cookies (besides the apple butter and mashed banana) is 1/4 cup of maple syrup.  I’ve used both pure maple syrup and sugar free maple syrup in these cookies before. Purists may slap my hand for using the sugar free kind, but I just buy what’s on sale. Feel free to use honey instead of the syrup, keeping in mind the cookies would no longer be vegan.

The rest of the ingredients are completely up to you!  Sometimes I add dried cranberries, 2 Tbsp of ground flax, raisins, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, honey-roasted peanuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, or dried apples.  Today I used dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, golden raisins, and regular raisins.  I also love adding chocolate chips, but I was being good today.  😉

As long as you keep the add-ins to about 1.5 cups, you’ll be fine.

Healthy Breakfast Cookies! Get the simple recipe at

The cookies take about 15 minutes in the oven.  They don’t spread at all, so be sure to shape them down into large discs before you put them in the oven.

The batch only yields about 9-10 cookies, depending how large you make them.  Sometimes I make a double batch in advance and keep them in the freezer for a quick grab n’ go breakfast or snack. They bake up to be quite hearty and dense; one cookie usually keeps me full for hours.  The complex carbs from the oats fuels some amazing workouts, too.  Try one before hitting the pavement or gym!

They are man friendly too. :) Kevin likes to spread peanut butter on top of them and dunk them into milk.  Putting peanut butter on top of nut butter cookie… I knew I was marrying this man for a reason!

Healthy Breakfast Cookies! Get the simple recipe at

Knowing I’m having cookies for breakfast certainly gets me out of bed. 😉

Breakfast Cookies

Yield: 9-10 large cookies

These healthy morning cookies are so simple to throw together. They are ready within 30 minutes. The recipe may easily be doubled to make a big batch. *Gluten free* if using certified GF oats. Refined sugar free and vegan.

• 2 cups quick oats* (not whole oats)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup almond butter, peanut butter, or sunflower seed butter
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
  • 1/4 cup apple butter*
  • 1 large banana, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (optional)

Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.

Combine all of the ingredients into a large bowl of a stand mixer (or use a hand mixer). Mix until all of the ingredients are combined. The dough will be quite stiff.

Take 1/4 cup of dough and drop onto prepared cookie sheet. Slightly flatten the tops into desired thickness. The cookies will not spread in the oven.

Bake for 15-16 minutes or until edges are slightly brown. Allow to cool on the cookie sheets completely.Cookies stay fresh at room temperature for 1 week. Cookies can be frozen up to 3 months.

*Be sure to use quick oats in this recipe.  Quick oats are more finely ground up whole oats, so they are slightly powdery.  They are sold right next to the whole oats.  You may not even notice there are two kinds of oats in the first place!  You may make quick oats at home - simply measure 2 cups of whole oats and pulse in the blender or food processor about 5 times.

*Read the text in the post above about using unsweetened applesauce or other ingredients instead of apple butter.

These cookies are a must-try!

These Healthy Breakfast Cookies are ready in under 30 minutes and you won't even miss the added fat or sugar!

Healthy cookies? This ain’t my first rodeo!

Skinny Cookies n Cream Milkshakes

Skinny Cookies n' Cream Milkshakes - made from only 4 easy, guilt-free ingredients!-2

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana No Bake Cookies-6

Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Low Fat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies-9

Healthy Oatmeal Raisinet Cookies

Healthy Oatmeal Raisinet Cookies-2

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola (2 of 1)

Gluten Free Fudge No Bake Cookies

Gluten Free Fudge No-Bake Cookies-19

See more healthy choices.

See more vegan.

See more gluten free.

243 Responses to “Breakfast Cookies.”

Angieposted April 29, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Was going to try agave instead of syrup …would that work?

• Sallyreplied on April 29th, 2014 at 10:01 pm

That would be fine.

Kaeleenposted May 1, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Found these puppies on pinterest while I was searching for a healthy, on the go breakfast and I just made them moments ago. They are FABULOUS!!! I can’t get over how amazing they taste! I had some homemade apple butter from last season, just lying around, and now I know how I’m going to use up the last of it! I added chia seeds, 2 tbsp, and flax seeds, 2 tbsp, and then some cranberries, sliced almonds, chopped dates, chopped dried apricot, and mini chocolate chips. Although these are so sweetly satisfying that I’m going to omit the chips next time. These really are the most amazing sugar-free, gluten-free, vegan breakfast item that I’ve tried so far, and I’ve tried out a lot of flavors. Props to the chef!!!!

• Sallyreplied on May 1st, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Your version sounds delicious! So happy you enjoyed them. Thanks Kaeleen!

Devinposted May 1, 2014 at 6:47 pm

YUM!! I was trying to find a recipe to kill my sweet tooth since I’m doing a 24-Day Challenge, and this knocked it out of the park! Thanks so much!

Agnesposted May 2, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Hi Sally! I really love your recipes :) I’m thinking of making these breakfast cookies for my 3 year old toddler. Do you think they will be suitable?

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:39 am

Michelleposted May 25, 2014 at 7:15 pm

I seriously eat one of these cookies after almost every run. I make sure to keep a stash in the freezer so they’re always available. Just thinking about them can totally get me through the last 5 minutes of my workout too :)

Kelseyposted May 31, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe!

I’m still relatively new to baking, so I apologize if this is a dumb question.
    Are they supposed to be mushy? They aren’t like dripping and falling apart, but they are not crunchy. Just making sure I’m doing this right haha.

Practice makes perfect, so I will keep trying anyway!

• Sallyreplied on May 31st, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Hey Kelsey! They are quite soft cookies – not crispy at all.

Chariposted June 6, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. I thought you might enjoy knowing that I have been baking them for a friend who is hiking the Appalachian trail and have been mailing them to her in her food pick up boxes. She loves them and carries them in her pockets for energy boosts. I wrote today to ask if she was bored of them and wanted another recipe and she responded, “don’t fix what ain’t broken.”

These have been so well received that I plan to move on to try other recipes from this blog. I appreciate your level of detail in the recipe and suggestions for variations.

Again, many thanks.

• Sallyreplied on June 7th, 2014 at 11:33 am

Hahaha! That’s great. I would love to hike the Appalachian trail one time! And these energy dense cookies are great fuel, that’s for sure. Thanks Chari.

Robinposted June 9, 2014 at 2:20 pm

This is one of my family’s favourite recipes – my 2-year-old daughter LOVES having cookies for breakfast! I’ve passed this recipe on to at least 3 toddler moms that I know.

My big change is to substitute 1 cup of ground almonds for 1 cup of oatmeal; I like the texture better that way. (I also use sunbutter for peanut butter, as we have peanut allergies in the house.) It’s amazing when we can get real apple butter from the farmer’s market; Musselman’s is full of HFCS, and the taste just isn’t the same.

Jenniferposted June 10, 2014 at 10:59 am

I love these sooooo much! I always keep a batch in the freezer and eat them warmed up for breakfast every morning – YUM

Graceposted June 22, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I made these for breakfast the other morning after finally going to the store to get all of the ingredients. Even though I forgot the banana my family and I loved them! Needless to say I will be making these again very soon.

Melanieposted July 13, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe. In regards to freezing, what do you recommend for thawing immediately prior to serving? Microwaving, toaster oven or thawing over night etc. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on July 13th, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I simply take one out the night before and thaw it in the refrigerator. I like to eat it cold – but it’s very good warmed up in the microwave for a quick 20 seconds.

Sharon Dardarianposted July 22, 2014 at 10:55 pm

These cookies look fantastic. I have one question though. I do not care for bananas in my recipes. Do you have any suggestions as to what I could use as a replacement in these cookies? Would apples work or will they be too liquidy? Could Greek yogurt work? Thanks for your expertise!

Kayposted August 12, 2014 at 1:43 am

Hi Sally,it’s my first time on ur website,was looking for healthy foods,Wow,these sound great,unfortunately we r allergic to peanut butter, I was wondering if it was ok to leave it out?

• Sallyreplied on August 12th, 2014 at 9:48 am

No, it is the main ingredient. If you can eat almond butter, that is a great alternative.

Caroleposted September 14, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Wondering out of curiosity why you consider honey non vegan. I am lacto ovo
    vegetarian and know many vegans, some very strict and none of them consider
    honey non vegan. Please take this as curiosity not criticism. I respect all people in their choice of diets and lifestyle this is just something new to me.

• Oliviareplied on December 14th, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Vegan technically means that you don’t eat any animal-products whatsoever. Since honey is produced by bees, it is considered an animal product. My sister is a vegan but she eats honey anyway, so I’m with you on that :)

Bethanyposted September 17, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Hi Sally, I’m making these this weekend and I can’t wait! I recently discovered pb2 which is ground up peanuts that you add water to and make your own peanut butter. It has 45 calories in 2 tablespoons as opposed to 190. Do you think if I used the pb2 it would mess up the cookies because the oil from the peanut butter would be missing? Thank you, love love love your website!

• Sallyreplied on September 18th, 2014 at 9:20 am

Hi Bethany, no I do not suggest powder peanut butter. You need the oil in the peanut butter.

Briposted October 13, 2014 at 11:22 pm

I made these cookies tonight for the first time, and I LOVE them! I only had about 3/4 cups of my organic peanut butter left so I just added about 1/4 cup more apple butter….they still turned out great! I also used honey instead of maple syrup.
    I added pecans, coconut, flax seeds, and a mixture of dried cranberries, plums, and cherries. These will definitely be baked regularly in my home.

Corinneposted October 29, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I made these last night and we had one each for dessert… Then my 3 year old had 2 for breakfast today. He was so happy to have “cookies” for breakfast and I was so happy to give him healthy ones! Thanks for the recipe :) P.S. I subbed sunflower seeds for pumpkin seeds (we are carving pumpkins and toasting pumpkin seeds tomorrow night!), and added the mini chocolate chips. I also didn’t have apple butter so I used unsweetened applesauce and increased it to 1/3 c and they are delicious! Don’t seem dry at all :)

Betposted November 17, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Yum!! My three-year-old and I made a batch of these this afternoon and they were delicious! I was really nervous that they would taste banana-y (even though you said they wouldn’t in the comments :o) ) since we tasted the dough and you could taste it there, but the finished cookies just taste like cookies! So good. I’ve been trying to perfect homemade granola bars for months and while they’re always edible, they’re never quite what I’m looking for. I think breakfast cookies is the answer! Thanks!!

Andreaposted November 27, 2014 at 9:40 am

I froze a few of these and just took out a few for breakfast this morning, they froze beautifully.

Mandyposted December 7, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Could I use canned pumpkin instead of apple butter?

• Sallyreplied on December 7th, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I’m sure that could work– but I fear the cookies will be cakey. If you don’t mind that texture, go for it!

Oliviaposted December 14, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I just made these cookies and they’re in the oven! I tweaked the recipe a bit, left out the cinnamon, banana, and apple butter. Instead I used 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce, 1 T coconut oil, and 1 tsp vanilla. I subbed the maple syrup for the honey and used homemade almond butter! And then i added dried cranberries and walnuts. :) Can’t wait for them to come out of the oven! I work at 5:30 in the morning so I never have time for breakfast. I’m looking forward to have something quick and tasty everyday this week. Thanks for the recipe!

Stacyposted December 21, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Sally, I just made your Breakfast Cookies for the first time and they are AMAZING! Great texture and bursting with flavor! I followed your recipe with all ingredients listed using the almond butter, pure maple syrup, flax seed and added 1/2 C chocolate chips. Of course we couldn’t wait till breakfast to try them :) After my husband took one bite he said, “These would be great to take when I go fishing!” I also love that they truly bake just as they are placed on the cookie sheet and do not spread. Right now my daughter and I have your Peanut Butter Cup Blossoms dough chilling in the fridge for our next baking round. I love your website and I’m excited to try even more of your recipes. Thank you so much for your informative step by step instructions and including pictures.

• Sallyreplied on December 22nd, 2014 at 8:18 am

Wonderful, Stacy! I love these cookies so, so much and make them all the time. They’re so dense and packed with wholesome ingredients — love those peanut butter cup blossoms too! Let me know any other recipes you try.

Stacyposted January 1, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I absolutely love these cookies and have made them several times. I was just wondering if you had a basic idea of the nutrition? I try to count calories (sometimes, lol) and was wondering if you had an idea of the calorie count and nutrition on these cookies. Thanks! :-)

• Sallyreplied on January 9th, 2015 at 11:50 am

I have no idea– feel free to use an online calculator or manually calculate, Stacy. Glad you enjoy them!

• Kelseyreplied on May 14th, 2015 at 11:47 pm

I substituted walnuts for the pumpkin seeds and made 12 cookies instead of 9, it came to 304 calories each :)

teriposted January 9, 2015 at 11:47 am

Can you provide the nutritional info on the recipe for Breakfast cookies please?
    Mom is pre diabetic so need to count carbs and sugars.
    These look fabulous! Hoping they fit her criteria
    Thanks much :)

Lisaposted January 13, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I was searching for a clean breakfast cookie recipe to replace the granola bars I was eating every morning. I have officially found the one! These were delicious and satisfying. I made a few changes based on my taste, but it is an easy recipe and the add-ins can be changed with no issues. I used sunflower seed butter, sunflower seeds, unsweetened flaked coconut, “plum amazins” (diced dried prunes) and chopped dried apricots as my add-ins. Everything else (apple butter, maple syrup, banana, etc.) stayed the same. I had to put the extra cookies in the freezer so I wasn’t tempted to eat them all day! If you download the Myfitnesspal app it allows you to search for the recipe and will calculate all of the nutrition info for you without having to do it individually. I was also able to change the ingredients that I altered before the calculation. I bake often, but never review recipes…this is a must try! Thank you!

jodyposted January 15, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Made these with my 2 & 4 year old today!! So good!!!!

Lauren Kinnariposted January 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I am cutting gluten and dairy from my son’s diet to see if we notice any changes in his ADHD behaviors. Imagine my excitement when your recipe features Apple Butter-a family staple as a member of a family whose business started 80 years ago making apple butter and apple cider. Imagine my ecstatic surprise when you pictured the apple butter you use and it is my family’s Apple Butter! Thanks for the shout out for an awesome product!
    Lauren, a 4th generation McCutcheon family member!
    (oh and McCutcheons DOES have mail order now so anyone interested in trying a family made brand can do so!)

• Jo H.replied on June 6th, 2015 at 8:26 am

Just discovered your site. LOVE IT !!   Thx Lauren K. for posting about being able to get the applebutter via mail order.I really like supporting family run businesses.
         Also the tip about myfitnesspal app. is GREAT to know. Love the fact that if you change ingredients before calculating , you can get a nitritional read out for any tweeks. Let you all know whay I find out.

Shauntayposted January 20, 2015 at 9:38 am

Can I use steel oats by grinding as well?

• Jo H.replied on June 6th, 2015 at 8:31 am

I think the textute will be more course OR maybe drier. You MIGHT need  tad more moisture….just guessing.

Serenaposted February 7, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I made these this evening and they just came out of the oven–they’re very quick to make and delicious! They’re not as sweet as normal cookies, which is fine since I plan to eat them for breakfast. And my husband loves them!

I did a few substitutions, mostly for lack of ingredients: applesauce instead of apple butter, one egg instead of banana, and the “mix-ins” I added were sunflower seeds and raisins (no pumpkin seeds or craisins). Thanks for the recipe!

Laura Bposted February 8, 2015 at 2:47 pm

So these just came out of the oven…WOW! I used a cookie scoop so I ended up with about 24 small cookies. If they even make it to breakfast, I’ll be surprised. I did follow the recipe, but swapped some of the add-ins: I used mini chocolate chips, chopped pecans, dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, and whole flaxseeds. I underbaked them just a tad so they are actually still pretty squishy in the middle but solid on the edges. It’s almost like a portable bowl of oatmeal. I also used half almond butter half peanut butter. Seriously folks, make these. You will not be disappointed.

Jaimeposted February 21, 2015 at 10:26 pm

These breakfast cookies are A-MA-ZING!!! Just had one for dessert & can’t wait to have another in the morning. :)

Margieposted February 22, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Hi Sally! I had the pleasure of meeting your parents a couple of weeks ago, we talked about your book & blog every day, they are so proud! For obvious reasons!
    Question on the cookies, I have 2 little girls, one who can’t stand bananas. What might be a good alternative? I’ll try with banana – sometimes with the occasional chocolate chip, things happen. Keep up the great work!

• Sallyreplied on February 23rd, 2015 at 6:29 am

That is so great Margie! Yes, they love to discuss my blog and book to anyone they meet. They are most definitely my biggest fans!! Instead of banana, how about applesauce? Let me know how they like these cookies!

Lori Rogersposted March 1, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I made these in hopes they will be an easily packackable, hearty, gluten free breakfast for an upcoming backpacking trip. I used chocolate almond butter and added sunflower seeds and coconut flakes. Any idea how many calories per cookie? On the trail, more is better!

• Sallyreplied on March 1st, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Hey Lori! I am unsure of the calorie count.

Nasiba Mianposted March 24, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Sally, Thank you so much for this recipe! My husband says you areincredible to come up with something so tasty yet vegan and healthy! He is vegan, and now I bake the bars (I just turned cookies into bars) for him on a regular basis. I tried apricots instead of raisins for a variety, and it tastes preety good as well. Thanks so much for developing the recipe.

Rubiposted April 10, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Sally can you add protein powder to these?

• Sallyreplied on April 10th, 2015 at 3:45 pm

I’m unsure to be honest– worth testing it out if you’d like!

Kimposted June 4, 2015 at 8:43 am

My little one is allergic to banana.  What do you think would be an acceptable replacement?  Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on June 5th, 2015 at 7:06 am

How about applesauce instead?

• Jo H.replied on June 6th, 2015 at 8:40 am

Possibly try blueberries pulsed to equal similar amount  BUT then switch to almoud butter instead of Peanut butter…..but cookies will be blue I think.     OR use the applesauce then GENTLY FOLD IN blueberries. Just a guess.

Jo Hposted June 8, 2015 at 7:13 am

How about 1extra lg egg, as one reviewer did when she was out of bananas

Aprilposted June 21, 2015 at 11:46 am

Great recipe!  They were a big hit with everyone and I will definitely make them again.

Valerieannposted July 12, 2015 at 5:08 pm

I’m from Ireland,and cannot get apple sauce or apple butter.  Any other suggestions.

JCposted July 16, 2015 at 3:04 pm

A quick note. I’ve made this many times, they go over well with the entire family. This last time was the easiest and most uniform. I whizzed the banana, maple syrup, pumpkin butter and peanut butter together thoroughly in the stand mixer, added the quick oats until combined and finally added my mix ins (dried, unsweetened coconut flakes, golden raisins and chopped pecans) with a quick stir. Made for much more consistent cookies than dumping everything in the stand mixer at once. Thought it might be worth mentioning to others who really enjoy this recipe!

Angela Kirbyposted August 17, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I just made these today, nearly exactly as written. Little heavy on the peanutbutter taste, it overwhelms everything else, but truly delicious. I’ll be using this as the base for a healthy breakfast and snack for all of us and the kids. Gonna try adding more orange zest to compliment the dried cranberries I added. Also going to experiment w/ adding cocoa powder, but not sure if that’s going to work w/out making them too bitter. Great job, thanks for sharing this with us.

cindy donnellsposted August 25, 2015 at 12:52 pm

how many calories in these cookies??????

cindy donnellsposted August 25, 2015 at 4:10 pm

These are the best cookies. I substituted canned pumpkin for the banana and they turned out great.
    I also used sunflowers seeds and raisins along with a little coconut  and a few walnuts.
    Everyone  loved them.

Nevinposted September 8, 2015 at 8:22 pm

These cookies are truly delicious. My son is ridiculously picky but I know he will love these. For those of you who think healthy doesn’t taste good- I’m with you, but these cookies rock!

Aprilposted September 27, 2015 at 11:59 am

I usually never post comments in recipes – but I had to about this one. I am so impressed and love these cookies!!!!!! They are healthy, gluten and dairy free have a good amount of fiber and taste wonderful. I used pumpkin butter and added dried cranberries, flax and chopped nuts. I needed something grab and go and these are perfect.