S’more Cookie Bars.

Soft & chewy graham cracker cookie bars with chocolate and marshmallow swirls.

Soft, chewy, and completely addicting S'mores Cookie Bars. Easy to make, too! @sallybakeblog

If I could live off of one food for the rest of my life, it would be a s’more.  The gooey marshmallow, the melty chocolate, the grahams. Technically that’s three foods, but stick with me here.

I’d also live off of peanut butter, mangoes, and this carrot cake.

But seriously… s’mores.

I don’t know anyone who can resist a s’more.

And if they can, their tastebuds must not be working properly.

Soft & chewy S'mores Cookie Bars | sallysbakingaddiction.com

My infatuation with s’mores expands to brownie pie, chocolate chip cookies, puppy chow, PEEPS, peanut butter cookies, rice krispie treats, and 7 layer bars. Pick your poison.

And yesterday, I wanted some more… s’more.

I made a basic cookie dough, swapping some of the flour with graham cracker crumbs.  The cookie part tastes like thick & soft graham crackers.  Almost like a graham cracker blondie – buttery, brown sugary, chewy, grahamy, and sweet.  To make these, you’ll simply layer 2/3 of the graham cracker cookie dough into the bottom of a pan.  Top with chocolate chips, marshmallow creme (Fluff), and then the rest of the graham cracker cookie dough.

It’s a variation of your classic campfire treat.  Simply bake everything together into a bar and you have a travel friendly, unique way to get your s’more fix.

S'more Cookie Bars

An important thing to note: do not use marshmallows in lieu of the marshmallow creme.  The marshmallows will disintegrate into the dough, creating unpleasant looking craters, and become virtually invisible. You won’t really even taste them.  I’ve tried that with cookies before. An ugly fail!  Use marshmallow creme, which stands up to the heat of the oven.

I love marshmallow creme and don’t bake with it nearly enough! Fluff reminds me of my sister, Sarah. Growing up, Sarah always asked for fluffernutter sandwiches and I stuck to PB&Js.

Soft & chewy S'mores Cookie Bars | sallysbakingaddiction.com

These cookie bars are SO soft. Kevin asked me how I got them to be so soft. “Did you underbake them like you do with your cookies?”  No – I didn’t.  The graham cookie layer just stays soft when baked for 25 minutes.  The tops of my cookie bars got a little brown, so they aren’t underbaked.  Just magically soft.  They will melt in your mouth.

I can’t decide which part I like the most. The melty chocolate? The gooey marshmallow? Or the soft & chewy graham cookie.  I’m not really sure – it just tastes incredible when sandwiched all together. My tip to you: eat these warm!  You’ll really feel like you’re next to the campfire on a hot summer night.

Kevin’s coworkers are getting the leftover bars today.  Guys, if you’re reading this… you’re welcome. And I’m sorry there aren’t that many leftover. I cannot resist s’mores!!

Soft & chewy S'mores Cookie Bars - your summer isn't complete without them!

S'mores Cookie Bars

Yield: 16 cookie bars

Soft & chewy graham cracker cookie bars with chocolate and marshmallow swirls.

• 1/2 cup (115g) salted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 cup (100g) graham cracker crumbs (9 graham crackers)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 and 1/4 cup (225g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 heaping cup marshmallow creme

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a 8x8 or 9x9 square baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving enough overhang on the sides. Set aside.

In a large bowl using handheld or stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed. Beat for about 2 minutes until smooth and combined. Add the vanilla extract and egg, beating until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl down as needed. Set aside.

Toss the flour, graham cracker crumbs, and baking powder together until combined. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.

Press 2/3 of the graham cookie dough into prepared pan. Spread the marshmallow creme on top. This will be tricky since the marshmallow creme is so sticky, but do the best you can to get an even layer. Sometimes I spray the bottom of a spatula with nonstick spray to spread it around. Sprinkle the marshmallow creme with chocolate chips. Mold the remaining cookie dough into flat pieces and layer on top of the chocolate chips. You won't have enough dough to make one single layer, so some chocolate chips will be exposed. That's ok.

Bake the bars for 25 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cuttng into squares. Bars stay fresh at room temperature for up to 1 week.  Bars may be frozen for up to 3 months. I enjoy the cookie bars warmed up in the microwave for 20 seconds.

Welcome to S’more Mania.

S’mores Brownie Pie

S'mores Brownie Pie

PEEPS S’mores

PEEPS S'mores

S’mores Puppy Chow

S'mores Puppy Chow

Q: What’s your favorite way to eat a s’more?

218 Responses to “S’more Cookie Bars.”

Megposted January 2, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Any recipe that involves YOUR chocolate chip cookie recipe variations is a good recipe. My mom absolutely loved these!
    Mine didn’t come out AS pretty as yours because I think fluff hates me but that’s ok

Aliceposted January 20, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I made these bars a few months ago and for some reason I thought I left a comment, but I suppose I didn’t. Woops lol. This was the first recipe I tried from this site and I remember thinking “There’s no way I can make bars as perfect looking as they are in the photos”, but I was amazed at how wrong I was! The cookie part is to die for, like graham cracker but so much softer, sweeter and addictive. I used chopped milk chocolate bar for the hunks of chocolate, and I actually used cut up regular marshmallows in lieu of the fluff (I’ve never had fluff before and I’m sure it’s great but I couldn’t bring myself to spend about 5 dollars on a jar when regular marshmallows were a quarter of the price). It turned out absolutely fine, although I’d recommend really piling up the marshmallows to the point that it looks like too much as they melt and flatten out during baking. Thanks so much for the recipe! You know something is delicious when after the first bite your face breaks into a huge grin and you start dancing around haha.

• Sallyreplied on January 20th, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Hey Alice! I’m so happy you made these bars and were pleasantly pleased with them! Especially with how they look. Marshmallows tend to disappear in baked goods, so that’s why I recommend fluff (Marshmallow creme) – but they will certainly work if you do not have access to marshmallow creme. (it’s quite inexpensive here). Anyway, thank you for reporting back!

Deeposted January 21, 2014 at 11:12 am

OMG — Sally, I made these over the weekend and they are beyond fantastic. I kid you not, I ate the entire pan in two days. My poor kids only got one bar!! They are begging me to bake more! They are so great. I cannot wait to purchase a copy of your book!!

• Sallyreplied on January 21st, 2014 at 1:33 pm

That’s wonderful Dee! These bars are always a hit. I could go for one right now as I watch the snow fall outside. Brings me back to the summertime.

Carissa ~ Domestic Dreamboatposted February 2, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I just made these for a Superbowl party, and they were a HUGE hit! Everyone loved them, and there was even a rock-paper-scissors competition to see who got to keep the leftovers. Great recipe!

• Sallyreplied on February 2nd, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Wonderful to read! Thanks Carissa.

Karenposted February 4, 2014 at 10:08 am

Sally – I have leftover graham flour from another recipe and was thinking about swapping the flour for the graham flour – do you think I could do this or even maybe 1/2 – 1/2? Realize there is sometimes a “purpose” for the “all purpose” and you can’t always do swaps.

• Sallyreplied on February 4th, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Hey Karen! What a great idea. To be honest, though, I don’t have much experience with graham flour. I can’t imagine it not working out though. Cookie bars are usually easy to play around with – as opposed to cookies or cakes. I would suggest 1/2 – 1/2 at first and see how it goes!

Nicoleposted February 10, 2014 at 11:04 pm

These are a pain in the butt to make but they’re crazy good. They should be called How to make you boyfriend propose bars. Thanks sally

Katie Johnsonposted February 14, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Just made this but used your Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Lovers’ Cookies recipe for the cookie and added crushed peanuts and Valentine M&Ms. We can’t wait to try it, a Fluffernutter S’more Cookie bar.
    Can’t wait to get your book, I already have it per-ordered!

Mikaelaposted March 6, 2014 at 9:52 am

I made these little bits of heaven last night! I wanted to pretend it was 10 degrees outside and get a little preview of the taste of summer. These were perfect. Unfortunately, summer is still so close yet so far away. Thank you for this keeper! Pregnancy craving satisfied :)

Aliceposted March 13, 2014 at 10:58 am

Your recipes will keep me in the kitchen for weeks. Love all of them!

stephanieposted March 21, 2014 at 9:03 am

These look amazing! Just wondering if it is possible to make these in a 13×9 pan? If so, would I need to double the recipe?

• Sallyreplied on March 21st, 2014 at 9:12 am

Yep! Double the recipe – I am unsure of the exact baking time though.

Rachaelposted May 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I just made these for Memorial Day and my whole family loved them! I’m usually too impatient for recipes with softened butter (I never remember to leave it out to warm up!) but this was totally worth it. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes and wish you continued success in all your baking adventures!

Karinposted June 3, 2014 at 5:30 pm

These look delicious! If I don’t have Fluff can I simply use plain ol’ marshmallows? If so, how many of the large ones? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on June 3rd, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Marshmallows will dissolve inside, so marshmallow creme is the best option. Thanks Karin!

Jenposted June 25, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Wow! These are amazing. I’ve made them twice now, and they always disappear so fast at parties. Huge hit! I make them exactly as directed – they’re perfect!

Lilyposted August 18, 2014 at 9:14 pm

These turned out so good! I made my own marshmallow creme with this recipe using a chow.com recipe. So delish!

Christina Manosposted August 30, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I have a question — do you use the whole 7.5 oz container of Fluff, or do you measure out 1 cup? The 7.5 oz jar (also labeled 213 grams) is way more than one cup. The label says there are 18 servings and each serving is 2 Tbsps. That makes 36 Tbsps or 2 1/4 cups, right? I think I’ve done my math correctly; am I overlooking something? I’d appreciate some clarification. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Hi Christina, I apologize. I use 1 heaping cup of marshmallow creme (perhaps closer to 1 and 1/4 cups). 7.5 oz is written in error. I recently added oz and gram measurements to my recipes, so this was an error on my end.

• Christina Manosreplied on August 30th, 2014 at 2:44 pm

No worries; I dumped the whole jar on there b/c it seemed easier than trying to measure fluff (one less gooey thing to wash!). I’m sure my kids will enjoy the extra gooey factor in the bars. Just hope they cooked all the way through!
        They smell delicious; they still need to cool before I can cut into them and sample. I’m sure they’ll be great:)
        I LOVE your website, btw. It’s my new go-to whenever I feel like baking something or need to bring a treat to a party. Thanks for all the great recipes!

terreposted August 31, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I don’t usually comment on things and these were freaking goooood!!!!!!! I took them today to a boating party and they were loved by all.

Kimberlyposted September 2, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I have always loved s’mores. I’m that girl that constantly buys the stuff to make regular s’mores at home in the microwave. But these bars are seriously my new favorite dessert! i have told family and friends that they have to try making them. They are so good. Thank you so much for posting!!

Jessica Floryposted October 9, 2014 at 10:20 am

Oh my GOSH, Sally, these bars were to die for!! My husband and I both got sick we ate so many. I was craving a smore and these were perfect!! I love your cookbook by the way. The photography is gorgeous and so inviting! Fantastic job :)

Jessica Coppolaposted October 15, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Sally, I’m addicted to your site and recipes!!! Thank you for being an inspiration and delight in my day!
    Welcome back from your honeymoon and congratulations! I love following your story!
    Can’t wait to try these s’mores cookie bars. Can this recipe be easily doubled? If so, suggestions on baking time?
    I’ve made your banana bread and confetti sugar cookies and both were amazing!!!

• Sallyreplied on October 15th, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Hi Jessica! Thank you for the incredibly kind message – and for the congrats! This recipe can definitely be doubled easily in a 9×13 pan. I am unsure of the exact bake time though. I would guess 35-40 minutes or more, but cannot be sure.

Danielleposted November 4, 2014 at 8:30 pm

This turned out so well! My roommates loved them, they are a big hit :) Thanks Sally!

Karen Gposted November 10, 2014 at 8:47 am

Do you think I could use mini-marshmallows in this recipe instead of the marshmallow creme? Would I melt them down first (like you do for rice crispy treats) or just spread them as-is with the chocolate chips?

• Sallyreplied on November 10th, 2014 at 9:26 am

Mini marshmallows seem to just melt and disappear inside the bar. You could certainly use them, but you won’t really see them. Marshmallow creme gives a little more flavor and, of course, doesn’t melt away.

• Jamiereplied on January 29th, 2015 at 11:52 am

Awesome, thank you! I’m going away for the weekend and wanted to leave some baked goods as a treat for the super bowl lol

Ivoryposted December 18, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Really good! Thanks for sharing.

Hayleyposted January 7, 2015 at 11:06 am

How much would 1 cup of Marshmallow Cream be in grams? Sorry I live in the UK and cup measurements confuse me!

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Around 200 grams.

Shelby @ Go Eat and Repeatposted January 18, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I think I’ve died and gone to heaven!

Jamieposted January 29, 2015 at 8:09 am

Could you freeze the dough and cook later?

• Sallyreplied on January 29th, 2015 at 8:22 am

Absolutely. Up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking.

Heather @ Run Eat Playposted February 1, 2015 at 9:19 am

Making these today for the Superbowl! We’re stuck inside with a blizzard and these will be the perfect treat! Thanks for all the awesome recipes!!

Krystleposted February 8, 2015 at 1:23 pm

These are AMAZING!!! Thank you so much for this recipe, I literally took these out of the oven about 25 minutes ago and they are heaven!!

Paigeposted February 12, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Could I use unsalted butter instead?

jessica hirschposted May 7, 2015 at 8:26 am

can I use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar?

• Sallyreplied on May 7th, 2015 at 9:26 am

I’ve never tried using coconut sugar in these bars– but it’s worth a shot. Enjoy.

Kateposted May 22, 2015 at 11:18 pm

These bars look so yummy! Can I double the recipe & then bake in a 9×13 pan? I don’t think one batch will be enough!

• Sallyreplied on May 24th, 2015 at 10:59 am

Yep! Double the recipe – I am unsure of the exact baking time though.

Robinposted July 13, 2015 at 4:17 pm

I am a novice in the kitchen and made these on Friday…they were dangerously good and easy for a beginner like me. Any suggestions for spreading the marshmallow crime so it ends up where it’s supposed to? Can puréed avocado or yams be used in place of butter?

Kposted July 17, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Could you make these as individuals in muffin cups?

• Sallyreplied on July 18th, 2015 at 8:55 am

That’d work! I’m unsure of the bake time.

Peggyposted July 19, 2015 at 1:51 am

Here’s a tip I found useful. To spread the marshmallow creme more easily, dip a large spoon in water and use the back of it to spread the marshmallow without it sticking.

Danielleposted August 6, 2015 at 9:42 am

Made these yesterday. Simply delish. I feel I have to go to confession they are so sinfully good. House smelled heavenly while they were baking. It was hard to resist them until they cooled. I brought some to my sister (she’s my next door neighbour) and my niece’s boyfriend (visiting for supper) scarfed 3 pieces down like a pig at a trough. This recipe is so simple and is definitely a keeper.

Mauraposted October 19, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Stumbled upon this recipe and thought it sounded delicious. Brought it to a bbq over the summer for 10 hungry boys and it was a hit. A few weeks back, I made 3 batches for my boyfriend and a bunch of his friends, and he’s been nagging me to make them again ever since. Finally got around to it today! I don’t usually comment on cooking websites but I use this recipe way too much not to say thanks for the awesome recipe! My roommates call me world’s best girlfriend and roommate for making these bad boys.

Diana Thomasposted October 31, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Made these for the first time today and I was worried about the spreading of the fluff. But turns out it wasn’t that difficult. I spooned several gobs all over the top and let it sit for a few minutes. It spread most of it on it’s own and I used a butter knife to spread the remaining. Thought this may be helpful to anyone who is trying this for the first time.

Maryposted November 15, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Has anyone made these without the egg???? I’m out of eggs :(