Can anyone resist a s’more?
And if they can, their taste buds may not be working properly! 😉
To make these s’mores cookie bars, start with a basic cookie dough but swap some of the flour with graham cracker crumbs. The cookie part tastes like thick & soft graham crackers. Almost like a graham cracker blondie – buttery, brown sugary, chewy, grahamy, and sweet. To make these, you’ll simply layer 2/3 of the graham cracker cookie dough into the bottom of a pan. Top with chocolate chips, marshmallow creme (homemade marshmallow creme or store-bought Fluff), and then the rest of the graham cracker cookie dough.
It’s a variation of your classic campfire treat. Simply bake everything together into a bar and you have a travel-friendly, unique way to get your s’more fix!
One important note before you get started: do not use marshmallows in lieu of the marshmallow creme. The marshmallows will melt into the dough, disappear, and create unpleasant looking “craters” in the finished bars. You won’t really even taste them. Use marshmallow creme because it stands up to the oven’s heat.
Soft & chewy graham cracker cookie bars with chocolate and marshmallow swirls.
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature*
- 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 cup (100g) graham cracker crumbs (about 9 full-sheet graham crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups (225g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 heaping cup marshmallow creme (store-bought “Fluff” or homemade marshmallow creme)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8×8 or 9×9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang on the sides to easily remove the bars when they have cooled. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar together on medium-high speed. Beat for about 2 minutes until smooth and combined, then add the vanilla extract and egg, beating until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl down as needed. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt together until combined. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Press 2/3 of the graham cookie dough into prepared pan. Spread the marshmallow creme on top. This will be tricky since the marshmallow creme is so sticky, but do the best you can to get an even layer. Sprinkle the marshmallow creme with chocolate chips. Mold the remaining cookie dough into flat pieces and layer on top of the chocolate chips. You won’t have enough dough to make one single layer, so some chocolate chips will be exposed.
- Bake the bars for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden brown. Allow to cool completely with the pan set on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
- Bars stay fresh covered tightly at room temperature for up to 1 week, if they last that long! I enjoy the cookie bars warmed up in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Freezing Instructions: Bars can be frozen for up to 3 months. Simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: smore cookie bars