How to Make a Tie-Dye Cake. (and Cupcakes!)

How to Make a Tie-Dye Cake!  An easy tutorial. It's much simpler than you think! sallysbakingaddiction.com

Tie-Dye Cakes, Rainbow Cakes, Swirly Color Cakes. I love them all.

And they are super easy to make!

1. Make your Homemade Funfetti Cake batter (leave out the sprinkles in the batter!).
  2. Divide the batter into three different bowls.
  3. Drop food coloring of choice into each bowl. The white batter had no food coloring. ;)
  4. Drop spoonfuls of batter into baking pan.  It doesn’t have to be pretty!
  5. Bake the cake.
  6. Frost the cake.
  7. Sprinkle the cake.
  8. Cut the cake.
  9. Look at the pretty colors!
  10. Eat the cake.

And the last step? Have another slice. With extra sprinkles.

Happy 4th of July, America!

*You can do this with box cake mix. However, why use a box when my homemade vanilla cake recipe is just as easy? Trust me. :)

PrintPrint SaveSave

How to Make a Tie-Dye Cake

Serves 10.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 9x2 inch round cake pan (or 9-inch springform pan) with nonstick spray.

Make the cake batter according to my directions (see link in the ingredient list). Divide the white batter into three separate bowls. Grab your food coloring and dye your batters any color you choose. I used 10 drops of red, 10 drops of blue, and left the third bowl plain. Place a separate spoon in each bowl. Scoop large spoonfuls of each batter and layer them into prepared baking pan. It does not have to be pretty. The colors will create a tie-dye effect. See photo above for how my cake looked prior to baking.

Bake for 20 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil (loosely to avoid the top from sticking to the foil). Bake for 13-17 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.

Make the frosting according to my directions (see link for frosting in ingredient list). Frost cooled cake and decorate as desired. Serves 10. Cake stays fresh covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 5 days.

Interested in making a layer cake? You could: (1) Bake the cake as indicated and slice the cake horizontally to create two layers. Double the frosting if desired. (2) Double the cake recipe and bake in two separate 9-inch cake pans for 1 extra tall layer cake. Double the frosting recipe as well.

I know what you’re thinking. Can I do this with cupcakes?

I got ya covered…

How to Make a Tie-Dye Cake and Cupcakes!  An easy tutorial. It's much simpler than you think! sallysbakingaddiction.com

Make the batter for vanilla cupcakes.  Divide the batter into three bowls.  Use a few drops of food coloring to dye your batters.  Layer the batter into the cupcake liners and bake. Frost with my vanilla frosting. That’s it!

Star Banner

86 Responses to “How to Make a Tie-Dye Cake. (and Cupcakes!)”

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?!posted June 27, 2013 at 8:18 am

I love how you’re always opening our eyes to new ideas in the kitchen! This IS so easy – I love it! So perfect for next week’s holiday! :)

Tieghanposted June 27, 2013 at 8:19 am

Sally this is so cute! What a great how to post!!

Kelseyposted June 27, 2013 at 8:28 am

I love the look of the cake! It’s so cute, yet looks so easy. Would definintely be making this for the 4th, but we have a 9 hour car trip ahead of us that day, and I think we’d end up digging into it while we’re still in the car! :) What a cute idea to use for a children’s birthday cake too! They could pick their favorite colors!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 9:13 am

Kelsey – yes, perfect for the kids! And good luck with that road trip – so long in the car! We used to drive to Michigan each summer. 12 hours!

Zainab @ Blahnik Bakerposted June 27, 2013 at 8:33 am

It’s so beautiful and easy. LOVE the step by step directions. This would be a fun project for the 4th, especially with my niece!!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 9:12 am

Yes – totally a wonderful activity for the kids. Thanks Zainab!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchenposted June 27, 2013 at 8:49 am

My inner “hippy chick” is just loving this adorable tie-dye cake and cupcake concept for the 4th of July, Sally! You did a fabulous job on this tutorial, girl! Pinned to all group boards possible at Pinterest! xo

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 9:12 am

Haha! Thanks for pinning Stacy!

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted June 27, 2013 at 9:02 am

Well aren’t you just Miss Holiday Spirit! :) I can’t even believe it’s The Fourth already! Where has this year gone?! I would love a big fat slice of this right now. Extra frosting and extra sprinkles for my piece!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 9:12 am

Where is this year going? We got engaged 5 months ago. 5 months ago yesterday! It’s crazy Averie! Time is flying by. Summer always comes and goes too quickly. :(

Jamie @lifelovelemonsposted June 27, 2013 at 9:04 am

oooohh pretty colorssssss

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweetposted June 27, 2013 at 9:07 am

Love the tie dye cakes! They are just too cute and festive!!!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Cornerposted June 27, 2013 at 9:16 am

What a fun surpise when you cut into this gorgeous cake! So lovely as always, Sally. :)

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 9:21 am

Cutting into each slice – each one differently colored – was the best!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishesposted June 27, 2013 at 9:17 am

I always wondered how to do one of these cakes!!! I love the colors for the 4th!!

Teresa Dposted June 27, 2013 at 9:18 am

Hey Sally! OMG this is sooo adorable! I’m having a bunch of friends over for the 4th of July and this seems like a perfect dessert to make for them! By the way, I love the heart sprinkles!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 9:21 am

Yes! It would be perfect for a 4th party with your friends Teresa. Hope you enjoy it! Those heart sprinkles are too cute. I got them at Target. :)

Mary Frances @ The Sweet {Tooth} Lifeposted June 27, 2013 at 9:19 am

Oh my gosh, the Fouth is one of my favorite holidays and seeing the red white and blue in your cake made me giddy:) I can’t wait! We always go to the lake and jet ski and tube with family. This cake would be the perfect finish to the day! SO simple, yet so stunning! I want to try this with the cupcakes, but both are so pretty!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 9:22 am

I love the 4th too, Mary Frances! Although your plans sound much more fun than mine. I love jet skis and tubing :) Have fun!

Heidi @foodiecrushposted June 27, 2013 at 9:25 am

My Smudge is all about the tie-dye, she’s going to go ga-ga over these babies.

Beth @ Mangoes and Milesposted June 27, 2013 at 9:32 am

Oh my goodness this is genius. 4th of July breakfast, lunch, AND dinner–here I come! (Cake for breakfast, cupcakes for lunch, and more cake for dinner is obviously a balanced day of eating, right?)

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 11:56 am

Obviously! :)

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pigposted June 27, 2013 at 9:40 am

This is just adorable, pinned it because it is just so festive!!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 11:56 am

Hi Cathy! Thanks for pinning :)

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girlposted June 27, 2013 at 9:41 am

I love this idea, I’m going to run with this idea for my neon dinner parties… some bright and hippy fun colors. Thanks Sally!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 11:55 am

Neon dinner parties? Sounds right up my alley!

Monicaposted June 27, 2013 at 9:41 am

Great tutorial. I love when something is “demystified”!

Darleneposted June 27, 2013 at 9:56 am

Which would work best, gel or liquid food coloring?

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 11:55 am

It doesn’t matter in this recipe.

Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggiesposted June 27, 2013 at 10:44 am

I love marble-ing colors in cakes! Can make any recipe fun and festive!

Eva @ Eva Bakesposted June 27, 2013 at 10:56 am

So festive! This is perfect for the upcoming 4th of July holiday!

laurasmessposted June 27, 2013 at 11:22 am

Naw! I love the cupcake version!! So cute. These cakes are gorgeous Sally. You always know how to brighten up something ordinary to make it look festive and beautiful! :) Thanks for the lovely tutorial x

Mr. & Mrs. Pposted June 27, 2013 at 11:27 am

Love the tutorial.. Its so easy… Great 4th of july inspiration!!

Emilyposted June 27, 2013 at 11:32 am

Love it – they’re all gorgeous! ^_^

Gloria @ Simply Gloriaposted June 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

How fun! My favorite part is cutting open the cake (or biting) into the cupcake! My kids have so much fun making their cupcakes like this! (=

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 11:53 am

That’s my favorite part too. :) Thanks Gloria!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Healthposted June 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Wow Sally, this cake is gorgeous! I love how festive it is and I know it tastes perfect too. I may have to make this for the barbeque I’m going to this weekend!

marcie@flavorthemomentsposted June 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Your cake and cupcakes look so festive and yummy, and agree entirely…homemade is easy and best!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes)posted June 27, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I love the tutorial, Sally! I’ve made a orange+blue tie-dye cake before (during Syracuse basketball season, of course) but this looks perfect for the 4th. And so easy!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

LOVING the Syracruse cake you made! I’m not much into sports, but I’m sure Kevin would love one of these in purple shades during Ravens season :)

• Liz (Little Bitty Bakes)replied on June 27th, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I’m not going to lie, besides Syracuse, I’m mainly into sports for the culture aspect of things – enter: fun food. :) Definitely do a purple shaded cake during football season!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cookingposted June 27, 2013 at 12:19 pm

What a great idea for a pretty, patriotic cake, Sally! This is such a cool technique! Thanks for sharing. :)

Itanniposted June 27, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I love this!!! Looks awesome Sally! I am gonna do this for Canada Day on July 1st! :) Mind you, it will only be two colors (red and white), but that the heck, I’ll just add lots of fun sprinkles to spice it up!

Itanniposted June 27, 2013 at 1:07 pm

**what the heck. :)

Kellyposted June 27, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Love this festive cake Sally! It looks like so much fun to make and cut into:) My lil guy would be sooo delighted with all these fun colors!

Faithposted June 27, 2013 at 3:36 pm

This is so easy and so pretty! Thanks for sharing this tutorial! :)

Elaine @ Cooking to Perfectionposted June 27, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I’ve been MIA for so long, but I’m so glad that I came back to blogland for this post!! I was just wondering what kind of dessert I should bring to a cookout I’m going to. This one is super easy but very festive. Winner!!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Long time no talk, Elaine! Thanks for checking in. :) And for pinning!!

Kristy @ Sweet Treats & Moreposted June 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Love this cake!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted June 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Gorgeous Sally!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress)posted June 27, 2013 at 7:52 pm

TOOOOOO cute! Love it!

Courtney@BakeMeBetterposted June 27, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Love it! So colorful and a great idea for the 4th!

Ashley@ Kitchen Meets Girlposted June 27, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Soooo pretty, Sally! I love how festive this is, and I’m sort of in disbelief that the 4th of July is next week!

• Sallyreplied on June 28th, 2013 at 9:37 am

WHERE is 2013 going?!?!?! Can’t believe it either my friend.

Melissaposted June 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm

This is adorable, and I will definitely be trying it out. Since I’m in Canada though, I’ll omit the blue section, and see if I can find some maple leafs for decoration :-)

• Sallyreplied on June 28th, 2013 at 9:37 am

Great idea, Melissa! So creative.

Caleyposted June 28, 2013 at 7:01 am

Just beautiful! I love colored cakes…so many options for holidays and even baby showers. Have you heard of people frosting cakes with vanilla or chocolate or whatever, but when cutting into the cake it is revealed to be either blue or pink, based on what the mom is having? So cute!

• Sallyreplied on June 28th, 2013 at 9:30 am

I have heard of that! Such a cute idea for showers. :)

Eileenposted June 28, 2013 at 9:16 am

I’m thinking of adding this cake to my 4th of July BBQ menu. It is definitely looks like a great cake for a celebration like that!

• Sallyreplied on June 28th, 2013 at 9:28 am

Definitely! Enjoy, Eileen!

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted June 28, 2013 at 12:41 pm

So fun and pretty!!! I want to play!! I love anything multi colored and sprinkled. Obviously. ;)

Mimi @ Culinary Coutureposted June 28, 2013 at 12:44 pm

LOVE THIS! So perfect for July 4th!

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchenposted June 28, 2013 at 12:58 pm

So perfect for ‘kids’ of all ages, right Sally? :) I’m seeing so much potential for color combinations…

• Sallyreplied on June 28th, 2013 at 7:10 pm

“kids” – yeah right ;) thanks Loretta!

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted June 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm

This is so stinking cute and so festive! My niece and nephews would go CRAZY over these.

Betty Jacksonposted June 29, 2013 at 5:58 pm

It looks fun & the recipe sounds tasty, but I want to know where you found the cutwork (pierced) plates for the photos! My favorite !!!

• Sallyreplied on June 30th, 2013 at 11:37 am

Thanks Betty! It is from Pier 1.

Amyposted June 29, 2013 at 9:03 pm

This is such a cute idea! I love all of the bright colors… If it weren’t so close to the 4th of July, I’d use purple (my favorite!), pink, and green. Or maybe yellow. Or maybe… Just divide the batter into 7 bowls and make a rainbow. I’m too indecisive Sally!!

• Sallyreplied on June 30th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Rainbow cake! Loving it Amy!

• Amyreplied on June 30th, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Thanks Sally! :) My brother’s favorite color was “rainbow” while we were growing up. He decided that it wasn’t fair to the other colors to pick a single favorite, so he loved all colors equally! His birthday is coming up in August; maybe I should make him a rainbow tie-dye cake…

Margauxposted July 1, 2013 at 3:05 am

Do you think this technique would work with your Cake Batter Blondies? I bought some Fourth of July Funfetti cake mix to make those for work, but I might see if I can try this out and make them even more festive. Also, what kind of food coloring do you use? I tried making a red cake for the Fourth last year and it came out super pink.

• Sallyreplied on July 1st, 2013 at 4:42 am

I’m unsure – I’ve never tried it before. But I can’t see why not. I used store brand food coloring – liquid. I had to use a lot of drops to get it red.

Brittany @ DulceVieposted July 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Lovin’ this idea! I wonder if it would work with cookies… :)

Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted July 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm

DUDE I shared this on FB as soon as I saw it in my feed. Sally this is such an awesome idea for the 4th of July! Cute and scrumptious – what more could you want? ;)

• Sallyreplied on July 1st, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Ha! So glad you shared it. Thanks Jess!

Alexis @ deliciousfoodideas.netposted July 2, 2013 at 5:54 am

Such a cute cake and a great idea. My niece and nephew’s birthday is at the end of the month and I was wondering what to do for them. And thanks for the rainbow layer cake idea, that one might come out for my little fella’s 1st birthday.

• Sallyreplied on July 2nd, 2013 at 6:19 am

I hope you make it Alexis! Such a cute idea with kids.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreatposted July 2, 2013 at 8:16 am

What a gorgeous cake! :-)

Jodieposted July 4, 2013 at 8:29 am

So Glad I discovered your website, your recipes are amazing! I am just getting into cupcake making at the moment and will definitely be giving most of your recipes a try!

• Sallyreplied on July 4th, 2013 at 10:12 am

Let me know what you make first! Thanks Jodie.

Nutmeg nannyposted July 4, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Oh how pretty is this :) I love this idea!

Teresa Dposted July 4, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Hey Sally! I just wanted to thank you for another awesome dessert to make :) I made the tie dye cupcakes for some close friends that were coming over to celebrate the 4th with me and they absolutely loved them! I can’t speak highly enough about these; nothing makes me happier than making other people happy with baked goods! hahaha :P Hope you had an awesome holiday! Happy 4th of July! :D

• Sallyreplied on July 5th, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Hey Teresa! So glad the cupcakes were a huge hit! They are so festive. Hope you had a great 4th!

Anneposted July 8, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I made this cake for my niece’s 4th of July birthday celebration. It was a HUGE hit. Seriously….the cake was light and moist and it was super cool when you cut into it.

I also made your raspberry/chocolate skyhigh muffins and the strawberry cheesecake bars (except I made them with raspberry jam. Everything was awesome. Thank you for sharing your recipes. You are my go to website for baking ideas!

Anneposted July 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm

P.S. I did have a question. Your vanilla buttercream was to die for….do you have a recipe for chocolate buttercream?