Skinny Tropical Muffins.

Lightened-up muffins with bananas, pineapple, orange zest, yogurt, whole wheat flour, and coconut. Easy, moist, low-fat, healthy muffins!

Meet my latest breakfast obsession. Summer is here and I am ready to soak up the sun! Today I’m sharing a little taste of the tropics.

Juicy pineapple, bananas, orange zest, toasted coconut… everything I love about the tropics in one tasty muffin. I made these fruity little gems a few weeks ago and again today. They have summer written all over them and are a perfectly acceptable bikini-friendly treat.

The first step? Buy a couple bananas and let them ripen. They are the base of today’s recipe.

Some other ingredients you’ll need:

√ White Whole Wheat Flour
√ Honey
√ Greek Yogurt (or regular)
√ Fresh Pineapple
√ Shredded Coconut
√ Orange Zest

Substitutions: a mixture of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour (about half and half of each) may be substituted for the white whole wheat flour in this muffin recipe.  I do not suggest using all whole wheat flour, as the resulting muffin may have a tough texture.  Maple syrup may be used instead of honey.  Canned or small frozen pineapple chunks may be used instead of fresh.

The shredded coconut on top is optional.  The orange zest is not!  It gives the muffins their flavor and adds a little zesty extra to each bite. I can’t imagine them without it!

Skinny, Bikini-Friendly Tropical Muffins. Made with bananas, pineapple, orange zest, yogurt, whole wheat flour, and coconut. Easy, moist, low-fat, healthy muffins!

Just like my Skinny Banana Blueberry Muffin recipe, today’s breakfast treat is sweetened with honey and a touch of (lightly packed) brown sugar.  The recipe makes 15 muffins, so the amount of sugar in each is teeny tiny.  The banana and pineapple sweeten them up too.

“Healthy” or “Low Fat” baked goods have a bad rap.  They are known for lacking flavor and moisture, often tasting dry and bland.  These muffins are the complete opposite.  Two ingredients bringing moisture (and taste) to the muffins are mashed bananas and vanilla greek yogurt.  Both ingredients are fabulous healthy substitutes for fat in certain recipes. Fat is moisture-laden and you don’t want to sacrifice that when you cut it out.  1 cup of mashed bananas (2 large bananas) and 1/4 cup of vanilla greek yogurt do a fine job of keeping the muffins soft, tender, and moist.

There is plenty of juicy pineapple in each big bite.  Fresh pineapple is a fruit I could not get enough of when I traveled to St. Lucia earlier this month!  If using fresh pineapple, cut it up into tiny chunks.  Frozen pineapple tends to come in larger chunks, so that is why I emphasize using fresh.  You could used canned as well, but again… fresh is preferred.

Dancing inside the muffin batter are a touch of cinnamon and orange zest.  If you’re anything like me, you love bananas and cinnamon together!  The zest from 1 orange gives the muffins a little something extra. And like I mentioned above, you do NOT want to leave it out.  You can slice up the rest of the orange to enjoy alongside your freshly baked muffins. 😉

The sliced bananas on top seep their moisture inside the muffin as they bake. So not only do the bananas look cute on top, they serve a moisture-inducing purpose. The muffin tops are my favorite part!

Imagine yourself with your toes in the sand, listening to the ocean, and breathing in the salty air.  You’ll be tasting the tropics after one bite.  What is so wonderful about them is that I don’t feel too heavy after eating one or two, either.  I had two this morning before getting in my suit and taking Jude to the river to swim and play fetch.  They are low in fat,  high in flavor, and will keep your energy up all morning.

Skinny Tropical Muffins

Yield: 15 muffins

• 2 and 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (or mix of whole wheat and all-purpose) (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar, loosely packed (or dark brown sugar)
  • 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (about 2 large very ripe bananas)
  • 1/4 cup nonfat vanilla greek yogurt (or any yogurt)
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 3/4 cup milk (almond milk, soymilk, cow's milk, rice milk)
  • zest from 1 orange
  • 1 and 1/4 cup fresh pineapple, diced
  • 1 thinly sliced banana for topping
  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut, optional

Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Spray 15 muffin tins with nonstick spray.* Set aside.

In a large bowl, gently toss the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together until combined. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, mix the honey and brown sugar together - it will be thick and lumpy. Try to get out as many lumps as you can - a fork works well to break it up. Add the mashed banana, yogurt, and beaten egg. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently begin to fold it all together. It will be very thick. Add the milk slowly and continue to gently mix the ingredients together. The milk will thin everything out, but the batter will still remain thick. Fold in the orange zest and pineapple. Do not overmix the batter, which will lend tough, dense-textured muffins.

Divide the batter between 15 muffin tins. Fill all the way to the top. Top with 2-3 thin slices of the sliced banana and a sprinkle of coconut. Bake the first 12, then the last three in another batch. Fill the empty muffin tins halfway with water in the 2nd batch to ensure even baking. Bake for 17-18 minutes until very lightly browned on the edges. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow the muffins to cool completely.

Makes 15 muffins. Muffins taste best the next day, like most banana bread recipes.  Muffins remain fresh and moist stored at room temperature for up to 5 days.  Muffins freeze well, up to 3 months.

*Do not use cupcake liners, muffins will stick to liners.

Today’s recipe is a spin-off from my Skinny Banana Blueberry Muffins.

Skinny Banana Blueberry Muffins

Some more healthy muffin recipes:

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Fat Free Strawberry Banana Muffins

Strawberry Banana Muffins

Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins

Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins by Sallys Baking Addiction

Skinny Double Chocolate Muffins

Skinny Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

See more healthier muffin recipes.

107 Responses to “Skinny Tropical Muffins.”

Nutmeg Nannyposted July 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Oh wow! These look incredibly satisfying :0 so perfect for breakfast!

Theresa @ Two Much Funposted September 8, 2013 at 7:32 am

Sally, these were delicious (notice the “were”). Thank you for creating a fabulous muffin, made with wholesome ingredients. For some strange reason, the batter only made 12 muffins for us, which actually worked out better- so that I could turn off the oven and enjoy the scrumptious muffins with my little three year olds. Thank you Sally for helping me feed my family healthier options.

• Sallyreplied on September 8th, 2013 at 8:13 am

How perfect, Theresa! I’m so happy you enjoyed these. Sometimes I only get 13 muffins from the batter. It really depends. I appreciate you reporting back! I love these healthy muffins.

Lisiposted September 11, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Hey Sally, I love your blog and these muffins look amazing! Just a question, could ONLY all-purpose flour be used instead of mixed with whole wheat flour and if so would it affect any of the other ingredients or baking time?

• Sallyreplied on September 11th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Hi Lisi! Yep, no *need* to use whole wheat flour. I just like using it to increase the whole grains. Only all-purpose may be used instead. No need to change anything else about the recipe or bake time.

Nicholas Ngposted September 25, 2013 at 7:11 am

So we will have to put the bananas inside the muffins then bake it right?
    P.S. I’m a Home Economics student and i am using banana.Please reply to me ASAP!I really need it by tomorrow 1.30p.m. Thank You

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2013 at 7:48 am

The mashed banana goes into the muffin batter, yes.

Valerieposted February 13, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Hey Sally,
    These muffins look amazing and I can not wait to try them. I am just wondering if you can apply your sky high technique to them? If I bake them at a high temperature for a few mins will it result in a taller muffin?

• Sallyreplied on February 13th, 2014 at 6:17 pm

You certainly can!

• Valeriereplied on February 14th, 2014 at 12:26 am

These turned out amazing and sky high! I make my own yogurt, since it’s a little but thinner than store bought yogurt I added a little bit more. I ended up having to bake them for almost 10 mins more than the recipe called for but then end result is absolutely delicious! What would you say is the best way to store all the extra muffins ? Thanks for the great recipe !

Alinaposted March 22, 2014 at 11:41 am

Hello from Australia! Thank you for these amazing skinny muffin recipes. Have made the peanut butter banana muffins and the double choc- both were fantastic. I have friends who are on egg free diets and I’d love to make some of your skinny muffin recipes for them. Is there a rule of thumb I can follow to substitute or leave the eggs out altogether? Thanks again!!

Julieposted April 2, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I finally got around to making these muffins & have made them twice in the past week! They are totally my new favorite muffin, so I thank you very much!

We made them the second time today with both of my little girls “helping” although the 17 month old just stood on her chair at the counter eating Greek yogurt! :-)

You have such a wonderful gift, God bless you & thank you for sharing it with us!

Julie (& Maria & Susie, my daughters)

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Hi Julie! So happy you all enjoyed these muffins!So cute that your little girls could lend a hand. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to say hi (all of you!) – loved reading your comment!

Crystalposted May 6, 2014 at 6:21 am

I really love these muffins. I’m just about to make a batch right now and popped by to print the recipe off since I’ve made them a few times already, so I guess they’re going into my “favorite recipes” pile. I’m out of oranges at the moment, so I’m going to try them with a little lemon zest. I’m hoping it’s a good substitute. Thanks for the recipe!

Catyposted June 11, 2014 at 10:01 am

I absolutely love your recipes Sally and so far they have come out 100%.

Jessicaposted August 21, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Wow this recipe looks amazing! Would it be possible to make as a loaf of bread instead of muffins? If so, do you know what adjustments need to be made? The only reason I ask is because I don’t have a muffin tin on hand but I have plenty of bread loaf pans. :)

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I’m sure you could turn this recipe into a loaf, but I am unsure of the bake time.

Aribahiposted September 22, 2014 at 11:10 am

Hi Sally
    Love these muffins…what can I use as a substitute for maple syrup n honey

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Agave would work – or just an extra 1/4 cup brown sugar.

Jenposted October 6, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Do u think a lemon would work as a substitute for the orange?

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Zest from just 1 lemon would be fine. Enjoy!

Georgiposted December 12, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Can I just say that I love your blog! ^_^ I’m all the way from Europe and it’s almost 3 in the morning here and I spent the last two hours cleaning up the kitchen after a pipe burst. So thank you for all the wonderful ideas, can’t wait to make a smoothie, after the plumber’s visit :)).

Pattieposted January 2, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Hey Sally! I was perusing your blog to see what variation of banana muffins you have and found these! I have a question though.. Do you think I could use canned pineapple?

• Sallyreplied on January 2nd, 2015 at 1:42 pm

That would be fine. Enjoy!

Christineposted January 18, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Just curious – what’s the calorie count on these? 130 like the blueberry skinnys? Just made them – smell and look delicious! Going on the kids lunch for sure…

• Sallyreplied on January 18th, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Hi Christine, I’m unsure– feel free to calculate.

Ruposted February 14, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Can I substitute anything for the yogurt?

Nora Melamedposted April 13, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Not sure what I did wrong, but after 30 mins of baking at 350F the muffins are undercooked in the middle. :/

Traceyposted April 18, 2015 at 9:01 pm

My sister and I love your skinny muffins! She is in college and asked if id make her some muffins for an easy breakfast. She ate the whole batch in less than a week! The tropical were my third variation to try and i have now started doubling the batches so I have some for myself :) For all three batches, I have had to bake them much longer than the 17-18 minutes. They have all taken closer to 27 minutes. I have made many of your recipes and have never had to bake much longer than instructed. They always turn out great though

Cazposted May 14, 2015 at 2:37 am

Since I was searching for a low-sugar recipe, Ijust want to mention that vanilla yoghurt has an incredible amount of sugar added to it, Plain/naturalGreek is fine and helps four o rise since it’s acidic.
    Best wishes, Caz

Rubyposted June 12, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Yum! I made these last week, and they have a great flavor and texture. Everything is delish about them .Thank you so much for the recipe! You rock

Dea Millerposted July 31, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Should the temp be 375?  It’s still runny after almost 23 mins!  :(

Jamieposted August 26, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Do you think I can take out the pinapple?

• Sallyreplied on August 27th, 2015 at 8:02 am

Absolutely! Not a problem at all.

Lorraineposted August 27, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I’m stuck at home car-less today and I’ve no yogurt but i do have some pineapple & banana to use up.. Do you think apple sauce would work as a substitute? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 27th, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Applesauce or a little extra mashed banana works!