Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips.

Crispy, crunchy baked apple chips made at home. Healthy, cheap, easy, and addicting!

Crunchy, simple, healthy Baked Apple Chips. These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples. @sallybakeblog

Apples are my jam. Love love love them.

Apple pie, apple cake, apple cupcakes, apple muffins. Love-it-all.

Easy baked apple chips! Crispy, crunchy, cheap, and simple.  These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples. sallysbakingaddiction.com

I’m going to let you in on a little secret of mine.  I don’t sit around snacking on cookies and cupcakes and cakes and pies and brownies all day.  I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle, full of veggies, running, yoga, fruits, whole grains, and a ton of hummus. (so much hummus!) And there’s the occasional treat of course. All of the decadent recipes I share on my blog are what I’ve made with friends, family, neighbors, and more.  I donate extras to our church, too. We certainly don’t eat it all ourselves. I have a wedding coming up after all!

One of my favorite healthy treats to snack on are apple chips. They’re crunchy, crispety, and addicting.  It wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I began to make them at home. Not only are they cheaper to make at home, they are SO easy.  Slice your apples, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar (optional!), and bake. That’s about it!

Pure apples. It doesn’t get much healthier than this.

There’s a few little tricks I use to make them extra crunchy and crispy.  First, slice your apples real thin.  If your apple slices are thick, they will turn out to be mushy. Still delish, but not what we’re going for here. The thinner your apple slices, the better.

Slicing these apples sure would be easier with a mandolin slicer (totally registering for one), but I just slice them up with a knife since I don’t have one.  Use your sharpest knife, turn the apple on its side, and slice.  I wish I had an apple corer as well, but alas. I don’t.  Oh well!

Some apple slices won’t be perfect. That’s ok! Spread them out into 1 layer on two baking sheets. Make sure you line them with a Silpat for easy clean up and no sticking.

How to make Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

I love cinnamon-sugar anything, so I always sprinkle the apples with a bit of the good stuff.

And by a “bit,” I mean a ton.  Lots of cinnamon-sugary-ness. Sometimes I opt for only cinnamon, so if you’re watching your sugar intake, you can definitely skip the sugar part.

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

I only sprinkle one side of the apples with cinnamon sugar.

Feel free to flip ‘em over and do the other side too!

Another little secret of mine is to bake the apples at a super low temperature in the oven.  I bake them at 200F degrees for 2.5 hours.  If they aren’t as crunchy as I want them, I bake them for up to three hours.  During this time I like to paint my nails, get lost on Pinterest, upload a million pictures of Jude, or watch SVU marathons. Totally addicted!

After 2-3 hours, and flipping the apples once in between, I turn the oven off. Then I keep the apples inside the oven for 1 more hour.   Sitting in the oven as it cools down, rather than sitting at room temperature, will help your apple chips crunch up much quicker.  The crunchier, the better in my opinion!

I love these easy apple chips so much and it’s such a fun way to eat one of my favorite fruits.  It’s pretty much a hands off recipe besides cutting your apples and flipping them in the oven.   Recipes where I have to do as little work as possible is exactly what I look for in the summertime. Well, all the time actually. ;)

And just a friendly warning: Before you know it, your entire bowl of apple chips will be gone. I know mine like to completely disappear on me.  Sneaky little guys!

Crunchy, simple, healthy Baked Apple Chips. These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples! @sallybakeblog

PrintPrint SaveSave

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

So addicting. And all you are eating is pure apples!

Ingredients:

• 3 apples (I use Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Honey Crisp)
  • ground cinnamon
  • granulated sugar

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 200F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
  • Wash and thinly slice the apples as shown in the photos above. Spread the apple slices onto the baking pans making 1 single layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
  • Bake for 1 hour, flip the apples over, and bake for another 1-1.5 hours. Turn the oven off and keep the apples inside as the oven cools down for 1 hour. This will help them get crunchy. Some apples may just be chewy and only slightly crunchy after 3 hours in the oven. Store apple chips at room temperature in an airtight container.

If you like apples as much as I do, you will love my apple recipes!

Apple Spice Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

apple spice cupcakes with salted caramel frosting

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake (my favorite!)

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake

See lots more apple recipes.

156 Responses to “Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips.”

briannaposted October 4, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Just wondering how you get them not to stick? I tried parchment paper and they kept sticking :(

• Sallyreplied on October 4th, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Hi Brianna – the recipe states to use a nonstick baking mat. The apples do not stick to silicone baking mats.

Alexandraposted October 6, 2013 at 11:48 am

These are delicious!! Threw in a nice little pear also… heavenly, I swear. And indeed, be warned for the sudden dissapearance!! It happened to me too ;)

• Sallyreplied on October 6th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I love making pear chips too. Happy you enjoyed these!

anitaposted October 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I’m going to try the apple crisps. Instead of doing them in the oven I’m going to make them in my dehydrator on it’s highest setting. I think they will turn out great.

• Sallyreplied on October 8th, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Let me know how it goes, thanks Anita!

Nancyposted October 9, 2013 at 1:23 am

I saw this recipe, and I had to make them! The apple chips are currently in the oven in “letting the oven get back to room temperature while making the apples more crispety” stage. It’s 1:30am here in maryland, but I HAD to make them. They make my apartment smell like autumn. I LOVE it. I’m sure they’re as good as they smell!

• Sallyreplied on October 9th, 2013 at 6:23 am

I am ALL about late night baking. Enjoy, Nancy!

Jenn @TheRebelChickposted October 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm

These look so tasty and I can’t believe how easy they are to make!! I just bought an apple corer and I already had a mandolin slicer. I was going to make baked apples but now I want to make these instead – they’re lots healthier!

• Sallyreplied on October 20th, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Yes, so simple to make right?! I need to get a mandolin slicer ASAP. Enjoy, Jenn!

Akaneposted October 25, 2013 at 4:02 am

WOW! these look delicious! I have to try them :P But your electric bills must be over the top though….

Jolie@ The IT Spotposted October 29, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I LOVE baked apples, so I KNOW I am going to love these Apple Chips! I’ll be making these tonight as a nice healthy snack.

• Sallyreplied on October 29th, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Hope you enjoy, Jolie!

Andreaposted November 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Hi Sally! This may be a dumb question, but all I own are metal baking pans and no silicon baking sheets. Using just the pans, will my apples turn out differently? And also do you suggest a different amount of time to bake?

• Sallyreplied on November 2nd, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hi Andrea! That is not a dumb question at all. Your apples are going to stick to the pan. If you use parchment paper to line the pan, they will still stick. I highly recommend purchasing a non-stick silicone baking mat. It can be used for literally anything you bake on a sheet in the oven. They are dishwasher friendly, reusable, and inexpensive. I have 4 of them. http://www.amazon.com/Silpat-Non-Stick-Baking-2-inches-Sheet/dp/B00008T960

• Jennyreplied on November 2nd, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I just made these using a mandolin for super thin slices and parchment paper and they turned out great!

Oge @ healthy food deliveryposted November 5, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I love this recipe Sally! I decided to bake apple chips recently, because I was going through the store bought ones pretty rapidly, and they are quite expensive! Slicing the apples at equal thickness and very thinly helps crisp them up equally as well. I actually slice them with the slicing blade of the food processor in case you have one and would prefer to use it rather than a knife.

• Sallyreplied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Great suggestion about the food processor, Oge! Thank you so much for that. I hope to get a mandoline someday soon. Anyway, I’m so glad that you enjoyed these apple chips. Storebought apple chips are so overpriced!

Aubriposted November 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm

So happy that I found this recipe! I just bought a box of apples and have been trying to figure out what to make with them. I’m on my 3rd batch of these in 3 days. My kids love them…everyone loves them! We go through a batch in one sitting, easily! I just wish that I had a mandolin and a double oven so that I could crank them out faster! Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on November 12th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I LOVE THESE! Ok, all caps lettering is a little too much. But I seriously love these baked apple chips and make them all the time too. You should get a mandolin ASAP. It’s going on our wedding registry. It will make this so much easier! Thanks Aubri!

Eddieposted November 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Holy moly , these are good.
    I substituted honey for the sugar. Placed a thin layer of honey on top of the apples first and then the cinnamon stuck to it.
    Only did one side and it was more than tasty to me.

• Sallyreplied on November 19th, 2013 at 7:32 am

Honey sounds wonderful, I have to try that! Thanks for the suggestion Eddie.

Heatherposted November 22, 2013 at 11:32 am

Apple chips also make a great start to a party treat. Just put a nice spoonful of warm pulled pork on top of an apple chip and there you go. Make sure you have lots because they disappear quickly! I love your recipes, keep them coming.

• Sallyreplied on November 22nd, 2013 at 11:33 am

Thanks Heather. What a great suggestion for an appetizer!

Tanyaposted December 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I was shopping at Whole Foods one day and I thought of you when I saw this brand of all natural apple juice. It’s called Tude’. But it is made purely of apple and there is so much variety! Fujii’tude, Honey’tude, Gala’tude, Granny’tude….. the list goes on. It’s amazing!!! You should try some!

p.s. this comment is kind of random. I just wanted to share it.

• Sallyreplied on December 2nd, 2013 at 10:09 am

Tanya! Not random at all. I have to find this juice! I would love it. Especially the Granny’tude and Honey’tude! Thanks so much for sharing. I need to get to a WF soon!

Nicole Holmanposted December 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Made these yesterday and they are FANTASTIC! and so easy!!! Had them baking while I was out hanging xmas lights! can’t believe I’ve never heard of making these!!

• Sallyreplied on December 2nd, 2013 at 3:37 pm

perfect christmas decorating snack!

Christyposted December 20, 2013 at 10:44 am

I’ve made these twice now. I’m having trouble finding the right balance of “crispy enough” and not browned enough to be bitter tasting. I’ve tried varying degrees of thinness, but I haven’t found a way to make them “perfect” just yet. Any suggestions?

• Sallyreplied on December 20th, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi Christy – so sorry you find these apple chips bitter. They should be slightly sweet, especially when sprinkling with sugar. Apples should release their juices, making them even sweeter. Are you sure your oven temperature is accurate? If your oven temperature can be lowered, maybe lower it a bit and bake for longer. I’m really at a loss here!

Marshaposted December 22, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Made these tonight with a food processor and parchment paper.
    Sliced the apples in half, removed the core, put into a food processor with the slicing blade, and baked on parchment paper. They turned out great! I actually tried one pan with cinnamon/sugar and the other completely plain. Clearly I didn’t add enough c/s, because I couldn’t taste much of a difference between the two. Both were great, so no complaints! I’m guessing the food processor sliced them thicker, which may have prevented them from sticking?
    Can’t believe I had never thought to try this on my own. Thanks, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:56 am

Happy you love them Marsha! I slice my apples super thin. The width of the apples wouldn’t have an effect on them sticking to the parchment paper though. They always stick to parchment paper, which is why I instruct to use a silicone baking mat instead.

Laurieposted December 28, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I got a mandolin for Christmas and can’t wait to try these. :)

What thickness setting to you recommend when using a mandolin? The 0.5mm setting seems too thin to me.

• Sallyreplied on December 28th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Hi Laurie – I don’t have a mandolin, but I assume .5mm may be too thin. Go for perhaps 1mm.

• Lauriereplied on January 3rd, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I tried 1.3mm and 2mm on my mandolin and think 3mm is probably best. The 2mm slices were close, but just a wee bit too thin. Next time I make them I will try the 3mm slice.

These are very yummy! I used red delicious apples for mine.

• Sallyreplied on January 3rd, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Perfect. :)

Dottyposted January 10, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Oh my. I just turned off the oven. I’ve snatched three slices so far. I don’t know that I’ll wait for them to cool.

I’ve made apple chips before in the dehydrator but wasn’t thrilled with them. You had me at “crunchy” and they delivered.

I used parchment paper with no sticking at all. Apple corer, mandolin, 2 hours. Perfection.

Must go snatch another.

Thanks Sally!

• Sallyreplied on January 11th, 2014 at 7:07 am

Very happy you loved these Dotty! Thanks for reporting back.

Deashaposted January 12, 2014 at 12:25 am

Tried these last night, they were great! Kids and hubby had them gone in minutes. I cut mine by hand so a few were too thick and soggy but still tasted great. Has anyone ever used Splenda instead of regular sugar? Want to make a bunch but can’t have regular sugar. Thanks

• Sallyreplied on January 12th, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Splenda should be ok. I’m not sure if it has an aftertaste after being baked though? I’m sure you could just leave the sugar out altogether and just use cinnamon. There is so much natural sugar int he apples’ juices anyway. Thanks Deasha!

Ariannaposted February 11, 2014 at 8:59 pm

How did you slice the apples for this recipe, Sally? I want to make this (I adore apple chips), but I’m just clueless as to how to get the apples to look like that. :/

• Sallyreplied on February 12th, 2014 at 8:53 am

Hey Arianna! I simply used a large sharp knife to thinly slice the apples. If you have a mandolin slicer – use that at 3mm setting.

Bixieposted February 17, 2014 at 12:28 am

Hi Sally, I still feel a little uneasy about silicone mats and moulds. Is there a problem with using baking paper for these sweet potato beauties?

• Bixiereplied on February 17th, 2014 at 12:31 am

Whoops! Was just looking at the sweet potato fries and was drooling at the same time! Can i use baking paper for that and also the apple chips?

• Sallyreplied on February 17th, 2014 at 6:57 am

The sweet potatoes would be OK using parchment paper, but the apples will stick to it. Always use silicone mats for the apples.

Splashyideasposted February 20, 2014 at 10:49 am

Wow great idea.. I have a bag full of apples and didn’t know what to do

lupeposted March 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I just made these apple chips last night and they are amazing thanks so much… .I will be making them from now on for my kids and for my self of course… ok mainly for me thanks

sueposted March 18, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Just made these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love them,. Totally addicting!

Constantineposted April 3, 2014 at 2:51 am

“Pure apples. It doesn’t get much healthier than this.”
    It gets healthier by not putting sugar on them. When you add anything to something it’s not “pure” anymore, and when you add sugar it’s no longer healthy. Good recipe, minus the sugar. Stop saying you’re healthy.

FYI: Sugar is bad.

And for all the smart people that are going to comment on “people need sugar”, I am talking about processed sugar.

• Sallyreplied on April 3rd, 2014 at 8:49 am

Hey Constantine! Thanks so much for your opinion! I write many, many times that the sugar is optional. In fact, I love my baked apple chips with only cinnamon. If you’re watching your sugar intake, feel free to leave the sugar off. Thanks again!

• Constantinereplied on April 8th, 2014 at 2:16 am

I apologize for the harshness of my sugar comments. It’s just very frustrating looking for good, healthy vegan recipes; it seems like the majority of people try to put sugar in them and then claim that it’s a “healthy” recipe. Thank you for the recipe, I did make them without the sugar and they were excellent. You seem very nice. :)

Whitneyposted April 30, 2014 at 5:29 pm

What would be the calorie intake for these?

Chrissyposted May 6, 2014 at 1:44 pm

How do you get your apple slices to look so perfect? I just tried to make these, and my slices look awful!

• Sallyreplied on May 6th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

A very, very, very sharp knife! You may also use a mandolin slicer.

Vickiposted May 10, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I just made these, and I used a mandolin and sliced the apples on 2 of the sides. Can you actually slice directly through the core and eat it all? After 2.5 hours, and an extra hour of cooling, they still aren’t very crunchy. Everyone agreed they are very tasty (even without sugar)

HEATHER MENDENHALLposted June 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm

yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Lisaposted June 19, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hi Sally!
    I tried these the other day, and they were delicious! My only problem is that the apples shriveled up to a very small size, to the point that I could barely fill a small cup with them. I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.. I used sugar and cinnamon, sliced the apples thin and baked them 2.5 hours on a silicone baking mat. Any suggestions?

• Sallyreplied on June 20th, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hmm – I don’t think you did anything wrong. They are definitely supposed to shrink in size.

Millefeyposted July 15, 2014 at 2:57 am

Ooh, these are so easy to make and so much cheaper than buying pre-packaged, too (at least over here)! I just tried a batch yesterday but I think I will start popping apple slices into the oven on regular basis from now on. Great stuff!

Gabby Mesheshaposted July 22, 2014 at 11:18 am

How many Calories are in the Apple chips?