Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips.

Crispy, crunchy baked apple chips made at home. Healthy, cheap, easy, and addicting!

Crunchy, simple, healthy Baked Apple Chips. These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples. @sallybakeblog

Apples are my jam. Love love love them.

Apple pie, apple cake, apple cupcakes, apple muffins. Love-it-all.

Easy baked apple chips! Crispy, crunchy, cheap, and simple.  These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples. sallysbakingaddiction.com

I’m going to let you in on a little secret of mine.  I don’t sit around snacking on cookies and cupcakes and cakes and pies and brownies all day.  I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle, full of veggies, running, yoga, fruits, whole grains, and a ton of hummus. (so much hummus!) And there’s the occasional treat of course. All of the decadent recipes I share on my blog are what I’ve made with friends, family, neighbors, and more.  I donate extras to our church, too. We certainly don’t eat it all ourselves. I have a wedding coming up after all!

One of my favorite healthy treats to snack on are apple chips. They’re crunchy, crispety, and addicting.  It wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I began to make them at home. Not only are they cheaper to make at home, they are SO easy.  Slice your apples, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar (optional!), and bake. That’s about it!

Pure apples. It doesn’t get much healthier than this.

There’s a few little tricks I use to make them extra crunchy and crispy.  First, slice your apples real thin.  If your apple slices are thick, they will turn out to be mushy. Still delish, but not what we’re going for here. The thinner your apple slices, the better.

Slicing these apples sure would be easier with a mandolin slicer (totally registering for one), but I just slice them up with a knife since I don’t have one.  Use your sharpest knife, turn the apple on its side, and slice.  I wish I had an apple corer as well, but alas. I don’t.  Oh well!

Some apple slices won’t be perfect. That’s ok! Spread them out into 1 layer on two baking sheets. Make sure you line them with a Silpat for easy clean up and no sticking.

How to make Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

I love cinnamon-sugar anything, so I always sprinkle the apples with a bit of the good stuff.

And by a “bit,” I mean a ton.  Lots of cinnamon-sugary-ness. Sometimes I opt for only cinnamon, so if you’re watching your sugar intake, you can definitely skip the sugar part.

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

I only sprinkle one side of the apples with cinnamon sugar.

Feel free to flip ‘em over and do the other side too!

Another little secret of mine is to bake the apples at a super low temperature in the oven.  I bake them at 200F degrees for 2.5 hours.  If they aren’t as crunchy as I want them, I bake them for up to three hours.  During this time I like to paint my nails, get lost on Pinterest, upload a million pictures of Jude, or watch SVU marathons. Totally addicted!

After 2-3 hours, and flipping the apples once in between, I turn the oven off. Then I keep the apples inside the oven for 1 more hour.   Sitting in the oven as it cools down, rather than sitting at room temperature, will help your apple chips crunch up much quicker.  The crunchier, the better in my opinion!

I love these easy apple chips so much and it’s such a fun way to eat one of my favorite fruits.  It’s pretty much a hands off recipe besides cutting your apples and flipping them in the oven.   Recipes where I have to do as little work as possible is exactly what I look for in the summertime. Well, all the time actually. ;)

And just a friendly warning: Before you know it, your entire bowl of apple chips will be gone. I know mine like to completely disappear on me.  Sneaky little guys!

Crunchy, simple, healthy Baked Apple Chips. These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples! @sallybakeblog

PrintPrint SaveSave

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

So addicting. And all you are eating is pure apples!

Ingredients:

• 3 apples (I use Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Honey Crisp)
  • ground cinnamon
  • granulated sugar

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 200F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
  • Wash and thinly slice the apples as shown in the photos above. Spread the apple slices onto the baking pans making 1 single layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
  • Bake for 1 hour, flip the apples over, and bake for another 1-1.5 hours. Turn the oven off and keep the apples inside as the oven cools down for 1 hour. This will help them get crunchy. Some apples may just be chewy and only slightly crunchy after 3 hours in the oven. Store apple chips at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

If you like apples as much as I do, you will love my apple recipes!

Apple Spice Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

apple spice cupcakes with salted caramel frosting

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake (my favorite!)

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake

See lots more apple recipes.

174 Responses to “Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips.”

Sineadposted July 22, 2013 at 5:57 pm

These look like such a great snack, I’m definitely going to have to try this out! :-)

Donnaposted July 22, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Archived!…Perfect paleo snack imho (if occasional and using a tart apple as you have done here!)…Question…could I possible use a stevia granulated sweetener…like a Truvia stevia/erythritol blend or coconut palm sugar to sub for the regular sugar? Thank you for the wonderful snack share!

• Aleksreplied on March 1st, 2014 at 12:22 am

These are great, I made them without the sugar so you could just do that, they were still delectable :)

Michelleposted July 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Totally making this in the fall when I have a million apples on hand from apple picking ! Thanks !

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2013 at 6:27 pm

can’t wait to go apple picking this year! Thanks Michelle and enjoy!

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted July 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I try my best to maintain a healthy lifestyle too so these chips are right up my alley. I could snack on these all day!

Leslieposted July 22, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Sally!!! Yum! And guess what? My pup LOVES baked apple chips too :) how long do these chips keep for?

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I’d say about 3 weeks. They never last that long, no matter how many apples I use!

Kathyposted July 22, 2013 at 6:28 pm

These look great! I’m always looking for healthy snacks to bring to work for when I get the munchies in the afternoon. :)

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2013 at 7:25 pm

How perfect! These are definitely munchy. :)

Caleyposted July 22, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Well, while I’m sorry that you don’t have an apple corer when you’d like one, your lack certainly makes for some gorgeous photos! The little star shape in the middle of the chips is so pretty. I always love with apple pies are topped with slices like that. I’ve also made some delicious (if I may brag ;)) snickerdoodles with a cinnamon-sugar apple round on top. Some of my prettiest cookies ever. :D Thanks for this recipe! It’s astounding how expensive apple chips are, so it’s great of you to give us an economical alternative!

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Caley – I am LOVING your apple/snickerdoodle idea. I may just use it and give credit to you my dear. I can only imagine how gorgeous! You are so creative.

Amyposted July 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Oooh I am doing this right now. Right now! The perfect light snack for us ladies tonight for our Doctor Who marathon. Thanks for the recipe!

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Hope you all enjoy, Amy!

Kate from Scratchposted July 22, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Looks delicious! Can’t wait until it gets to apple season here; definitely one of my favorites!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cookingposted July 22, 2013 at 7:07 pm

So yummy! I love cinnamon snacks and desserts in mid-summer – its when I start craving fall flavors again! Great recipe, Sally.

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girlposted July 22, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Your apple chips look great! I’ll be going apple picking later this year so I will definitely be making this recipe!

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Good!! I hope you enjoy them as chips. Thanks Pamela!

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted July 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm

These have been on my life forEVER!! I go through the store bought ones in a day easily! Also, when you used the word crispety I think I started to love you even more. Wasn’t even sure that was possible. Love everything about this post! You are speaking my language, Sally! ;)

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Thanks Ari! Ha, I love the word crispety. ;) Love ya too!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugarposted July 22, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Love the simplicity to this recipe! Baked apple chips are awesome!

Lindaposted July 22, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Hi Sally I was just wondering if you have a good apple slice recipe that has not got a soggy bottom thanks

Linda

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Hi Linda, I’m sorry but I don’t know what you are asking?

Katy @ Katy's Kitchenposted July 22, 2013 at 8:27 pm

This is such a nice and easy recipe that definitely doesn’t feel “healthy”. Cinnamon is such a treat and these are great for throwing in lunches on the go. Love them!

Veronicaposted July 22, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I’ve got to agree with everyone on here, these are so simple but look amazing and I’m sure taste even better. I’d love to make these up at the cottage or even just to bring to work, I’ll definitely be making these soon! Thanks for the great recipe (and photos)!

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 11:16 am

Hi Veronica – I hope you make these and enjoy them!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishesposted July 22, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I work from home, but my hubby likes to bring healthy snacks to worth with him to snack on during the day. This is a great option!!

Meghan @ The Tasty Forkposted July 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Yum! I love apple chips and these sound toooooo easy not to make. Perfect to snack on, add to trail mix or topping on vanilla ice cream!

Cassie | Bake Your Dayposted July 22, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Ooo I love healthy snacks like this and I’ll always go for cinnamon. Great idea, Sally!

Amyposted July 22, 2013 at 9:36 pm

I’m a huge fan of apple chips too! I tried buying a few bags of them before, but… They kind of disappeared in less than a day. Oops. At least I was snacking healthy!

(And I was wondering where your extra desserts went — so sweet of you to donate them to your church!)

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 11:15 am

Yes! There are certain dates of the month when they accept food donations, so I always freeze some then bring later! Thanks so much Amy, I knew you’d love these!

• Amyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 3:55 pm

That sounds like a great program at your church! I wish ours did something like that. And you know me too well, Sally! ;) Have you thought about trying pears or strawberries?

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I’ve tried pears before, but never strawberries!

• Amyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I’m assuming they might bake slightly different since they’re a bit juicier, but I just picked up a bag of freeze-dried strawberries at Trader Joe’s today and thought that would be a fun snack project!

Tashaposted July 22, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Perfect for lunch kits come this fall. Thanks for posting.

Eva @ Eva Bakesposted July 22, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Yum – I love apple chips! Thanks for sharing this, Sally!

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted July 22, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I love baking fruit and dehydrating things. I haven’t posted anything like this in a few years because I got sick of people saying they didn’t have a dehydrator so couldn’t make it – and I would always tell them to do what you did! A 200F oven works beautifully. I love your apple chips, Sally! I’d have a hard time waiting 4 hrs or so for them to be ready! I’d be snacking on them the whole time :)

Tieghanposted July 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm

These would be gone in minutes around me. MINUTES! I love making dried fruit at home and apple chips are my favorite!
    Just like you, I actually eat very healthy and share all the treats with friends and family. These though? No sharing. They are all mine!
    Thanks for reminding me to make these, even in summer!

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 11:12 am

I never, ever share these when I make them, Tieghan!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchenposted July 23, 2013 at 12:01 am

Just gorgeous! Sally, you even make apple chips look sexy, LOL! Seriously, stunning photography. Apple crisps are one of my favorite all-natural homemade treats (safe on any diet and good for everyone) year ’round. Also, you had me at “crispety”! ;) Thank you for sharing, girl!

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 11:12 am

Sexy! Haha, thanks Stacy! I was worried they’d look too boring, but they turned out nicely!

Gloria // Simply Gloriaposted July 23, 2013 at 12:12 am

Yep, definitely gone before I know it! What a perfect treat to take with us on the go and have in the truck. (Cz you know we gotta snack and drive/ride at the same time!)

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchenposted July 23, 2013 at 12:22 am

These wouldn’t last long here! Balancing a mostly dessert blog and a healthy lifestyle is hard work, but this fits the bill perfectly! I’ve bought apple chips before but they’ve just been mushy and chewy. These look like they’re just the opposite!

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 11:11 am

These are crunchy and slightly chewy. You’d like them, Faith!

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepperposted July 23, 2013 at 12:28 am

I eat apples at least once a day. I think I might have to try these tomorrow!

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 11:11 am

Enjoy, Melanie!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.posted July 23, 2013 at 12:55 am

I adore apple chips and these are making me yearn for fall!

Mimi @ Culinary Coutureposted July 23, 2013 at 1:02 am

These are the perfect snack! Perfect for when I get the munchies and sweet enough to satisfy my sugar craving!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?!posted July 23, 2013 at 7:11 am

I am ALWAYS looking for more healthy snack ideas! I love how easy these chips are! Looks like it’s time to buy some apples… :)

Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggiesposted July 23, 2013 at 7:41 am

I loooove apples, but last year was a bad apple year and they’re getting pretty icky around here — can’t wait until I can go to an apple orchard this fall and make these chips! They sound pretty perfect to me.

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 10:59 am

I remember having some pretty bad apples last year. Well, I hope you get to try these this year Kelly!

Erinposted July 23, 2013 at 9:24 am

I’ve often said I could live off of apples (and carrots!) alone and be a happy girl so of course, I am loving this recipe. Such a fun idea. :) And your nail polish is adorable, as always.

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 10:57 am

Erin! Yes, same here. I eat enough apples and carrots to make a rabbit or horse jealous. ;)

• Erinreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 4:55 pm

We definitely have that in common! Love it. Apples, carrots and hummus make me a happy girl! :)

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.composted July 23, 2013 at 9:29 am

These are some gorgeous photos!
    I think this is a fun way to get my daughter to eat apples :)

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 10:57 am

Thanks Shashi!

Jessica@AKitchenAddictionposted July 23, 2013 at 10:32 am

Apple chips are the perfect snack to have around to munch on!

Mercedesposted July 23, 2013 at 11:05 am

What a wonderful, healthy and simple snack!

Nora @ Buttercream Fanaticposted July 23, 2013 at 11:20 am

I think you may have read my mind because just the other day I was wondering how to make my own dried fruit at home. I have tons of peaches and kiwis, which I am going to try your recipe with!

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I bet dried peaches would be fabulous this way!

steph@stephsbitebybiteposted July 23, 2013 at 11:33 am

What a fabulous little snack!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Healthposted July 23, 2013 at 11:35 am

These look delicious! I would love to dip them in vanilla Greek yogurt!
    Cute nail polish too! :)

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Yes! They are very good with greek yogurt.

Jessicaposted July 23, 2013 at 11:36 am

These look great! I can’t wait for a weekend when I have enough time to make these. Would this recipe work for most other types of fruit too? Like say pears or maybe even strawberries?

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Hey Jessica! I’ve done this with pears, but that’s about it. I know you can make banana chips as well this way, but I haven’t tried it.

marcie@flavorthemomentsposted July 23, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I hear ya on the baking thing. I LOVE baking indulgent treats, but I eat a little and get the rest out of the house ASAP, otherwise it’s gonna be on my hips. I’m an apple addict, and these chips look so delicious. My kids would love ‘em too!

Keely@theveryhungrytravellerposted July 23, 2013 at 12:43 pm

These look like the perfect healthy snack, much healthier than nibbling on potato chips! Apples and cinnamon are two of my favorite things : )

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Yes, much healthier than most snacks!

petal and plumeposted July 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

what a perfect and pretty snack! yum!
    xx

Kristinposted July 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I’m in LOVE with your healthy recipes. Please keep posting them. They are truly amazing and very fun!!!!

Emily @ Life on Foodposted July 23, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Oh man I love apple chips but always buy them. I am sure the homemade version taste way better plus it has to be much more economically sound. Thanks for such a great recipe!

Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smileposted July 24, 2013 at 1:27 am

Love this Sally! These look so simple and perfect! I must admit I usually just buy apple chips or dried apples from Sprouts or Trader Joe’s but these look so much better :) Might make them tomorrow.

Alexis @ deliciousfoodideas.netposted July 24, 2013 at 3:31 am

YUM! I’m a cinnamon addict! There is only one thing better than baking with apples and cinnamon and that is baking with apples, cinnamon and pecans!

Eat Good 4 Lifeposted July 24, 2013 at 3:37 am

I made these not long ago and loved them. Such a great snack. I shall try to make them again soon :-)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachelposted July 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

I absolutely adore apple chips. I always make a batch every fall but they really should be a year round thing!

Luv What You Doposted July 24, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I have been wanting to make these forever. Thanks for the reminder! I will have to scoop up some apples at the farmer’s market.

• Sallyreplied on July 25th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

They are so good! Hope you enjoy!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine)posted July 25, 2013 at 10:36 am

Woah! I love apple chips, but never thought to make my own. So cool!

Laura Dembowskiposted July 28, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I would eat the whole batch of these, Sally! Love these healthy little treats. It’s so important to have balance when you’re a baking blogger. All of my leftovers go to my neighbors and Dad’s work.

• Sallyreplied on July 28th, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Yes! I always have to give leftovers away. And I love these apple chips! I’m making a bunch this week :)

Nutmeg Nannyposted July 29, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I love apple chips, these look so perfect!!

Christiposted July 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm

These look like such a great healthy snack! I can’t wait to try them!

Katyposted July 31, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I made these tonight and they are soooo good. Do you live close to an aldi? Right now they’re selling a mandoline $5! I bought it last year and its awesome. They also have apple corers for a dollar something. I used both to make these and it was so easy!

• Sallyreplied on July 31st, 2013 at 8:55 pm

$5 mandoline!!!?? I think there is an aldi closeby, I’ll have to search. Thank you so much for letting me know! Glad you love these, Katy!

• Cooliereplied on January 27th, 2014 at 4:34 am

Just happened to see this blog while looking up apple chips…..had made them before but forgot what temp to put the oven at. Anyway, I also wanted to mention, I just got a mandolin at Walmart for $10, in case you can’t find one at Aldi’s. The one I got isn’t called a mandolin on the package…just says “multi slicer”. The recipe I had tried before had you simmer a cup of water with a cup of sugar….you dip your apple slices in that for 20 seconds, then let drip off on a rack, then pop in the oven. Kind of a sticky mess on your cupboard. I might try pineapple juice next time since I don’t really like the idea of all that sugar. I also saw a few recipes where they just sliced the apples and baked them…no sugar at all. Anyway you bake ‘em , they’re sooo good! (I’ve tried the dehydrator thang, but NINE hours later, you only have a few leathery rings to show for your work Ooooh, sorry. I tend to blather!

• Sallyreplied on January 27th, 2014 at 9:22 am

Great tip for the Walmart slicer! I’ll keep my eyes peeled for it, Coolie. You can’t beat $10. Sometimes I make these without a sprinkle of cinnamon/sugar. Or I just use cinnamon. Like you, I have no patience for a dehydrator!

Caraposted September 18, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Baking these right now. I’m using parchment paper and some of the thinner slices stuck so much that I couldn’t flip them. Any advice? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on September 19th, 2013 at 9:25 am

Hi Cara! It sounds like you had some super juicy apples! Try using a silicone baking mat next time. They’re inexpensive, reusable, and 100% nonstick baking mats. I encourage al of my readers to have at least one in their kitchen. You can bake anything on it with 0 problems. http://www.silpat.com

Teresa Dposted September 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Hey Sally! I made these today and they are delish! I couldn’t stop eating them; they’re addictive!

• Sallyreplied on September 26th, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Oh gosh I know what you mean. I’m obsessed with them!

Meghanposted September 26, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I’m so excited to try these after I go apple picking next weekend! Do you happen to know about how many calories the apple chips are, or is the amount of sugar so minimal that there’s no need to worry?

I also can’t wait to try your other skinny recipes! I just bought a bunch of bananas and waiting for them to ripen so I can stick them in the freezer for one of your delicious smoothies :) I’m very intrigued by the banana whip to see how it turns out.

• Sallyreplied on September 27th, 2013 at 7:26 am

Hi Meghan, I wouldn’t wonder about the calories in apples. And you can use a sugar substitute if you please. Enjoy that banana whip!

Christineposted September 27, 2013 at 11:24 am

I’m sorry if this posts more than once. I was having a problem getting it to submit.
    Anyhoo! I just got a ton of apples from a friend’s tree and came straight here (naturally) for an idea (preferably semi-healthy) on what to do with them.
    So you just cut right through the core and use everything, if you don’t have an apple corer?
    I think I am going to have to give a couple of those are not-so-healthy recipes a try too. They look too good to pass up!!

• Sallyreplied on September 27th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Hi Christine! I don’t have a corer so yes, I just cut through the core! The entire apple. Hope you try these… as well as those not-so-healthy desserts too!

Maryposted September 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Trying to make these today, as we have many apples on hand! However, my gas oven doesn’t heat lower than 275… Hopefully they still turn out nicely.

• Sallyreplied on September 30th, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Let me know how they turn out. Thanks Mary!

briannaposted October 4, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Just wondering how you get them not to stick? I tried parchment paper and they kept sticking :(

• Sallyreplied on October 4th, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Hi Brianna – the recipe states to use a nonstick baking mat. The apples do not stick to silicone baking mats.

• Laurareplied on August 21st, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I know it’s an old question, but it’s new to me! :-)
      Did the apples stick or the cinnamon sugar? I have now made several batches of these (they keep disappearing!) on parchment paper with no sticking, but I don’t add the cinnamon sugar.

Alexandraposted October 6, 2013 at 11:48 am

These are delicious!! Threw in a nice little pear also… heavenly, I swear. And indeed, be warned for the sudden dissapearance!! It happened to me too ;)

• Sallyreplied on October 6th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I love making pear chips too. Happy you enjoyed these!

anitaposted October 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I’m going to try the apple crisps. Instead of doing them in the oven I’m going to make them in my dehydrator on it’s highest setting. I think they will turn out great.

• Sallyreplied on October 8th, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Let me know how it goes, thanks Anita!

Nancyposted October 9, 2013 at 1:23 am

I saw this recipe, and I had to make them! The apple chips are currently in the oven in “letting the oven get back to room temperature while making the apples more crispety” stage. It’s 1:30am here in maryland, but I HAD to make them. They make my apartment smell like autumn. I LOVE it. I’m sure they’re as good as they smell!

• Sallyreplied on October 9th, 2013 at 6:23 am

I am ALL about late night baking. Enjoy, Nancy!

Jenn @TheRebelChickposted October 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm

These look so tasty and I can’t believe how easy they are to make!! I just bought an apple corer and I already had a mandolin slicer. I was going to make baked apples but now I want to make these instead – they’re lots healthier!

• Sallyreplied on October 20th, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Yes, so simple to make right?! I need to get a mandolin slicer ASAP. Enjoy, Jenn!

Akaneposted October 25, 2013 at 4:02 am

WOW! these look delicious! I have to try them :P But your electric bills must be over the top though….

Jolie@ The IT Spotposted October 29, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I LOVE baked apples, so I KNOW I am going to love these Apple Chips! I’ll be making these tonight as a nice healthy snack.

• Sallyreplied on October 29th, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Hope you enjoy, Jolie!

Andreaposted November 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Hi Sally! This may be a dumb question, but all I own are metal baking pans and no silicon baking sheets. Using just the pans, will my apples turn out differently? And also do you suggest a different amount of time to bake?

• Sallyreplied on November 2nd, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hi Andrea! That is not a dumb question at all. Your apples are going to stick to the pan. If you use parchment paper to line the pan, they will still stick. I highly recommend purchasing a non-stick silicone baking mat. It can be used for literally anything you bake on a sheet in the oven. They are dishwasher friendly, reusable, and inexpensive. I have 4 of them. http://www.amazon.com/Silpat-Non-Stick-Baking-2-inches-Sheet/dp/B00008T960

• Jennyreplied on November 2nd, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I just made these using a mandolin for super thin slices and parchment paper and they turned out great!

• Davidreplied on November 1st, 2014 at 12:22 pm

A metal pan is fine, but i find the best tool is actually a cooling rack covered with parchment paper. Mine are basically the same size as the oven, so they are great for large batches. Also, i think the openness of the racks help make them crispy from air circ. The key regardless of what you use is to flip them after about 30 min the first time and again about 30 min later. You want to get them after they have started to soften but before the juices start to cause the apples to stick to the parchment. Do this and you will have no problems. I slice mine with a mandolin just under 1/8th of an inch thick and fit about 1/2lb per tray and put 3 trays in at a time for 2 hours with oven at 200 and then at least an hour with oven off. If you do them at night you can just grab them out of the oven the next morning and they will be perfect!

Oge @ healthy food deliveryposted November 5, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I love this recipe Sally! I decided to bake apple chips recently, because I was going through the store bought ones pretty rapidly, and they are quite expensive! Slicing the apples at equal thickness and very thinly helps crisp them up equally as well. I actually slice them with the slicing blade of the food processor in case you have one and would prefer to use it rather than a knife.

• Sallyreplied on November 5th, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Great suggestion about the food processor, Oge! Thank you so much for that. I hope to get a mandoline someday soon. Anyway, I’m so glad that you enjoyed these apple chips. Storebought apple chips are so overpriced!

Aubriposted November 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm

So happy that I found this recipe! I just bought a box of apples and have been trying to figure out what to make with them. I’m on my 3rd batch of these in 3 days. My kids love them…everyone loves them! We go through a batch in one sitting, easily! I just wish that I had a mandolin and a double oven so that I could crank them out faster! Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on November 12th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I LOVE THESE! Ok, all caps lettering is a little too much. But I seriously love these baked apple chips and make them all the time too. You should get a mandolin ASAP. It’s going on our wedding registry. It will make this so much easier! Thanks Aubri!

Eddieposted November 18, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Holy moly , these are good.
    I substituted honey for the sugar. Placed a thin layer of honey on top of the apples first and then the cinnamon stuck to it.
    Only did one side and it was more than tasty to me.

• Sallyreplied on November 19th, 2013 at 7:32 am

Honey sounds wonderful, I have to try that! Thanks for the suggestion Eddie.

Heatherposted November 22, 2013 at 11:32 am

Apple chips also make a great start to a party treat. Just put a nice spoonful of warm pulled pork on top of an apple chip and there you go. Make sure you have lots because they disappear quickly! I love your recipes, keep them coming.

• Sallyreplied on November 22nd, 2013 at 11:33 am

Thanks Heather. What a great suggestion for an appetizer!

Tanyaposted December 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I was shopping at Whole Foods one day and I thought of you when I saw this brand of all natural apple juice. It’s called Tude’. But it is made purely of apple and there is so much variety! Fujii’tude, Honey’tude, Gala’tude, Granny’tude….. the list goes on. It’s amazing!!! You should try some!

p.s. this comment is kind of random. I just wanted to share it.

• Sallyreplied on December 2nd, 2013 at 10:09 am

Tanya! Not random at all. I have to find this juice! I would love it. Especially the Granny’tude and Honey’tude! Thanks so much for sharing. I need to get to a WF soon!

Nicole Holmanposted December 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Made these yesterday and they are FANTASTIC! and so easy!!! Had them baking while I was out hanging xmas lights! can’t believe I’ve never heard of making these!!

• Sallyreplied on December 2nd, 2013 at 3:37 pm

perfect christmas decorating snack!

Christyposted December 20, 2013 at 10:44 am

I’ve made these twice now. I’m having trouble finding the right balance of “crispy enough” and not browned enough to be bitter tasting. I’ve tried varying degrees of thinness, but I haven’t found a way to make them “perfect” just yet. Any suggestions?

• Sallyreplied on December 20th, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hi Christy – so sorry you find these apple chips bitter. They should be slightly sweet, especially when sprinkling with sugar. Apples should release their juices, making them even sweeter. Are you sure your oven temperature is accurate? If your oven temperature can be lowered, maybe lower it a bit and bake for longer. I’m really at a loss here!

Marshaposted December 22, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Made these tonight with a food processor and parchment paper.
    Sliced the apples in half, removed the core, put into a food processor with the slicing blade, and baked on parchment paper. They turned out great! I actually tried one pan with cinnamon/sugar and the other completely plain. Clearly I didn’t add enough c/s, because I couldn’t taste much of a difference between the two. Both were great, so no complaints! I’m guessing the food processor sliced them thicker, which may have prevented them from sticking?
    Can’t believe I had never thought to try this on my own. Thanks, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2013 at 6:56 am

Happy you love them Marsha! I slice my apples super thin. The width of the apples wouldn’t have an effect on them sticking to the parchment paper though. They always stick to parchment paper, which is why I instruct to use a silicone baking mat instead.

Laurieposted December 28, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I got a mandolin for Christmas and can’t wait to try these. :)

What thickness setting to you recommend when using a mandolin? The 0.5mm setting seems too thin to me.

• Sallyreplied on December 28th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Hi Laurie – I don’t have a mandolin, but I assume .5mm may be too thin. Go for perhaps 1mm.

• Lauriereplied on January 3rd, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I tried 1.3mm and 2mm on my mandolin and think 3mm is probably best. The 2mm slices were close, but just a wee bit too thin. Next time I make them I will try the 3mm slice.

These are very yummy! I used red delicious apples for mine.

• Sallyreplied on January 3rd, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Perfect. :)

Dottyposted January 10, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Oh my. I just turned off the oven. I’ve snatched three slices so far. I don’t know that I’ll wait for them to cool.

I’ve made apple chips before in the dehydrator but wasn’t thrilled with them. You had me at “crunchy” and they delivered.

I used parchment paper with no sticking at all. Apple corer, mandolin, 2 hours. Perfection.

Must go snatch another.

Thanks Sally!

• Sallyreplied on January 11th, 2014 at 7:07 am

Very happy you loved these Dotty! Thanks for reporting back.

Deashaposted January 12, 2014 at 12:25 am

Tried these last night, they were great! Kids and hubby had them gone in minutes. I cut mine by hand so a few were too thick and soggy but still tasted great. Has anyone ever used Splenda instead of regular sugar? Want to make a bunch but can’t have regular sugar. Thanks

• Sallyreplied on January 12th, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Splenda should be ok. I’m not sure if it has an aftertaste after being baked though? I’m sure you could just leave the sugar out altogether and just use cinnamon. There is so much natural sugar int he apples’ juices anyway. Thanks Deasha!

Ariannaposted February 11, 2014 at 8:59 pm

How did you slice the apples for this recipe, Sally? I want to make this (I adore apple chips), but I’m just clueless as to how to get the apples to look like that. :/

• Sallyreplied on February 12th, 2014 at 8:53 am

Hey Arianna! I simply used a large sharp knife to thinly slice the apples. If you have a mandolin slicer – use that at 3mm setting.

Bixieposted February 17, 2014 at 12:28 am

Hi Sally, I still feel a little uneasy about silicone mats and moulds. Is there a problem with using baking paper for these sweet potato beauties?

• Bixiereplied on February 17th, 2014 at 12:31 am

Whoops! Was just looking at the sweet potato fries and was drooling at the same time! Can i use baking paper for that and also the apple chips?

• Sallyreplied on February 17th, 2014 at 6:57 am

The sweet potatoes would be OK using parchment paper, but the apples will stick to it. Always use silicone mats for the apples.

Splashyideasposted February 20, 2014 at 10:49 am

Wow great idea.. I have a bag full of apples and didn’t know what to do

lupeposted March 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm

I just made these apple chips last night and they are amazing thanks so much… .I will be making them from now on for my kids and for my self of course… ok mainly for me thanks

sueposted March 18, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Just made these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love them,. Totally addicting!

Constantineposted April 3, 2014 at 2:51 am

“Pure apples. It doesn’t get much healthier than this.”
    It gets healthier by not putting sugar on them. When you add anything to something it’s not “pure” anymore, and when you add sugar it’s no longer healthy. Good recipe, minus the sugar. Stop saying you’re healthy.

FYI: Sugar is bad.

And for all the smart people that are going to comment on “people need sugar”, I am talking about processed sugar.

• Sallyreplied on April 3rd, 2014 at 8:49 am

Hey Constantine! Thanks so much for your opinion! I write many, many times that the sugar is optional. In fact, I love my baked apple chips with only cinnamon. If you’re watching your sugar intake, feel free to leave the sugar off. Thanks again!

• Constantinereplied on April 8th, 2014 at 2:16 am

I apologize for the harshness of my sugar comments. It’s just very frustrating looking for good, healthy vegan recipes; it seems like the majority of people try to put sugar in them and then claim that it’s a “healthy” recipe. Thank you for the recipe, I did make them without the sugar and they were excellent. You seem very nice. :)

Whitneyposted April 30, 2014 at 5:29 pm

What would be the calorie intake for these?

Chrissyposted May 6, 2014 at 1:44 pm

How do you get your apple slices to look so perfect? I just tried to make these, and my slices look awful!

• Sallyreplied on May 6th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

A very, very, very sharp knife! You may also use a mandolin slicer.

Vickiposted May 10, 2014 at 8:06 pm

I just made these, and I used a mandolin and sliced the apples on 2 of the sides. Can you actually slice directly through the core and eat it all? After 2.5 hours, and an extra hour of cooling, they still aren’t very crunchy. Everyone agreed they are very tasty (even without sugar)

HEATHER MENDENHALLposted June 2, 2014 at 1:50 pm

yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Lisaposted June 19, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hi Sally!
    I tried these the other day, and they were delicious! My only problem is that the apples shriveled up to a very small size, to the point that I could barely fill a small cup with them. I wonder if I’m doing something wrong.. I used sugar and cinnamon, sliced the apples thin and baked them 2.5 hours on a silicone baking mat. Any suggestions?

• Sallyreplied on June 20th, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hmm – I don’t think you did anything wrong. They are definitely supposed to shrink in size.

Millefeyposted July 15, 2014 at 2:57 am

Ooh, these are so easy to make and so much cheaper than buying pre-packaged, too (at least over here)! I just tried a batch yesterday but I think I will start popping apple slices into the oven on regular basis from now on. Great stuff!

Gabby Mesheshaposted July 22, 2014 at 11:18 am

How many Calories are in the Apple chips?

Charlotteposted August 11, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I’ve been wanting to make these for ages, definitely going to try them. I need more yummy healthy snacks. And I know my nieces will absolutely love them too. I heard cinnamon is suppose to help speed up your metabolism too, so bonus!

Natalieposted August 16, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Sounds awesome!! How long will these guys keep? and how do you store them?

• Sallyreplied on August 17th, 2014 at 10:28 am

Thanks Natalie – those instructions are in the recipe.

Aneeshaposted August 25, 2014 at 8:51 pm

I made these today and unfortunatly they didnt work! haha i was wondering if there was anything specific i did wrong? i cut them into thin slices and they turned out very chewy? i also cut some into the rings above

Jessicaposted September 2, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Hey there! I am looking into making natural dog treats, I thought these would be good, but minus the cinnamon and sugar and instead put peanut butter as a natural sweetener for dogs? I was wondering if you think that would work, or if it would be a gloppy mess, I have made banana chips with peanut butter, but not apple, I don’t really know who else to ask. I want to make these too for my human children!

• Sallyreplied on September 3rd, 2014 at 8:26 am

I’m unsure – I fear the peanut butter would melt all over the baking sheet? I’m sure you can try it. Even if it did turn out to be a mess, I’d probably still eat it myself!

Diane Roopposted September 5, 2014 at 8:08 am

Hi Sally, What is the best way to store these and how long will they keep? It’s apple season here and I want to make these to have on hand for later. Yummy!

• Sallyreplied on September 5th, 2014 at 8:22 am

storing instructions are listed in the recipe – enjoy!

theboltonskydiariesposted September 18, 2014 at 10:31 am

I just tried making them at home and they turned out mushy- some of the juice ran out all over (and I just used cinnamon, not sugar). I came here to get a perfected recipe- I didn’t know to make them as thin as possible – and COMPELTELY forgot about my mandolin! What was I thinking?!?! Well, just will have to try again ;)

Colleenposted September 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I just made these and mine did not get crisp. Any advice?

• Sallyreplied on September 23rd, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Did you slice the apples incredibly thin? The thinner the slices, the crispier the chips.

100
    Jennyposted October 7, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I was just thinking the other day about making home made apple chips. My SO and I are going to an apple orchard soon to pick our own apples and I am thinking of what to do with them when we get back. Thanks for this recipe! I was thinking also, if you don’t have a slicer, you could use a vegetable slicer maybe? Wouldn’t get the round shape but might be easier to get thinner strips than cutting with a knife. I have my own batch in the oven now! Can’t wait to try them!

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 8:24 pm

A peeler may make extremely small pieces! Unless you have a large peeler, of course. Hope you enjoyed them Jenny.

101
    Bernadette Aposted October 13, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Ive made these several times now and it is all thanks to your recipe. I was looking for a way to use apples that I had up, stumbled upon your website saw the apple chips recipe and that was it! They are so good my husband asks for these on a regular basis now! Thank You for posting this for everyone to see and try This is a make over n over recipe!

102
    Kim Seeboldposted October 28, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I made these, allowed them to cool, then put them in a ziplock bag. When I went to eat them, them were no longer crunchy. How can I get them to keep their crunch.

103
    Michelleposted November 15, 2014 at 3:01 pm

These sound great but……I crave caramel apple chips, any suggestions on how to make ‘em?