Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips.

Crispy, crunchy baked cinnamon apple chips made at home. Healthy, cheap, easy, and addicting!

Crunchy, simple, healthy Baked Apple Chips. These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples. @sallybakeblog

Apples are my jam. Love love love them.

Apple pie, apple cake, apple cupcakes, apple muffins. Love-it-all.

Easy baked apple chips! Crispy, crunchy, cheap, and simple.  These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples.

I’m going to let you in on a little secret of mine.  I don’t sit around snacking on cookies and cupcakes and cakes and pies and brownies all day.  I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle, full of veggies, running, yoga, fruits, whole grains, and a ton of hummus. (so much hummus!) And there’s the occasional treat of course. All of the decadent recipes I share on my blog are what I’ve made with friends, family, neighbors, and more.  I donate extras to our church, too. We certainly don’t eat it all ourselves. I have a wedding coming up after all!

One of my favorite healthy treats to snack on are apple chips. They’re crunchy, crispety, and addicting.  It wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I began to make them at home. Not only are they cheaper to make at home, they are SO easy.  Slice your apples, sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar (optional!), and bake. That’s about it!

Pure apples. It doesn’t get much healthier than this.

There’s a few little tricks I use to make them extra crunchy and crispy.  First, slice your apples real thin.  If your apple slices are thick, they will turn out to be mushy. Still delish, but not what we’re going for here. The thinner your apple slices, the better.

Slicing these apples sure would be easier with a mandolin slicer (totally registering for one), but I just slice them up with a knife since I don’t have one.  Use your sharpest knife, turn the apple on its side, and slice.  I wish I had an apple corer as well, but alas. I don’t.  Oh well!

Some apple slices won’t be perfect. That’s ok! Spread them out into 1 layer on two baking sheets. Make sure you line them with a Silpat for easy clean up and no sticking.

How to make Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

I love cinnamon-sugar anything, so I always sprinkle the apples with a bit of the good stuff.

And by a “bit,” I mean a ton.  Lots of cinnamon-sugary-ness. Sometimes I opt for only cinnamon, so if you’re watching your sugar intake, you can definitely skip the sugar part.

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

I only sprinkle one side of the apples with cinnamon sugar.

Feel free to flip ’em over and do the other side too!

Another little secret of mine is to bake the apples at a super low temperature in the oven.  I bake them at 200F degrees for 2.5 hours.  If they aren’t as crunchy as I want them, I bake them for up to three hours.  During this time I like to paint my nails, get lost on Pinterest, upload a million pictures of Jude, or watch SVU marathons. Totally addicted!

After 2-3 hours, and flipping the apples once in between, I turn the oven off. Then I keep the apples inside the oven for 1 more hour.   Sitting in the oven as it cools down, rather than sitting at room temperature, will help your apple chips crunch up much quicker.  The crunchier, the better in my opinion!

I love these easy apple chips so much and it’s such a fun way to eat one of my favorite fruits.  It’s pretty much a hands off recipe besides cutting your apples and flipping them in the oven.   Recipes where I have to do as little work as possible is exactly what I look for in the summertime. Well, all the time actually. 😉

And just a friendly warning: Before you know it, your entire bowl of apple chips will be gone. I know mine like to completely disappear on me.  Sneaky little guys!

Crunchy, simple, healthy Baked Apple Chips. These are so addicting and all you are eating is apples! @sallybakeblog

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

So addicting. And all you are eating is pure apples!

• 3 apples (I use Granny Smith, Pink Lady, or Honey Crisp)
  • ground cinnamon
  • granulated sugar

• Preheat oven to 200F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
  • Wash and thinly slice the apples as shown in the photos above. Spread the apple slices onto the baking pans making 1 single layer. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
  • Bake for 1 hour, flip the apples over, and bake for another 1-1.5 hours. Turn the oven off and keep the apples inside as the oven cools down for 1 hour. This will help them get crunchy. Some apples may just be chewy and only slightly crunchy after 3 hours in the oven. Store apple chips at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

If you like apples as much as I do, you will love my apple recipes!

Apple Spice Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

apple spice cupcakes with salted caramel frosting

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake (my favorite!)

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake

See lots more apple recipes.

193 Responses to “Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips.”

Bernadette Aposted October 13, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Ive made these several times now and it is all thanks to your recipe. I was looking for a way to use apples that I had up, stumbled upon your website saw the apple chips recipe and that was it! They are so good my husband asks for these on a regular basis now! Thank You for posting this for everyone to see and try This is a make over n over recipe!

Kim Seeboldposted October 28, 2014 at 12:32 pm

I made these, allowed them to cool, then put them in a ziplock bag. When I went to eat them, them were no longer crunchy. How can I get them to keep their crunch.

Michelleposted November 15, 2014 at 3:01 pm

These sound great but……I crave caramel apple chips, any suggestions on how to make ’em?

joannaposted December 20, 2014 at 5:59 am

I speeded things up a bit by microwaving the slices for 2 minutes on kitchen paper. Might try putting them in a warm airing cupboard overnight next time to save on fuel! I used a cheese slice to cut them very thinly (only suitable for small apples),

Sheilaposted January 4, 2015 at 9:33 pm

I made a bunch of these last year and this after apple picking with the kids. This year I realized if I cut a thin slice off the side of the apple and then placed it on that side it was more stable to cut. I use nonstick foil and it works perfectly.

Ashlynneposted January 5, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Could you use honey, agave, or maple syrup instead of sugar? I don’t own sugar and always use honey, agave, or maple syrup as my sweeteners when I bake. Will this cause them to stick?

• Sallyreplied on January 5th, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I fear it will be much too sticky and burn with a liquid sweetener. You can leave the sugar off completely. The apples release their sweet juices in the baking process; sometimes I don’t add any sugar at all.

SHEILAHposted January 10, 2015 at 11:59 am

oh girl, you need to hook yourself up with a Pampered Chef consultant and have someone give you a bridal shower. We have an amazing Ultimate Mandoline and an apple corer that would rock your world! Not to mention all the other wonderful tools! Wish you were in East Texas and we would party together!

Chrissyposted January 15, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Hello, Just an idea. Could you put these on a cooling rack and then put on the baking sheet to catch the juices? That would allow the air to flow all around the apples. I am not sure but I am going to try these soon and I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the recipe!

• Sallyreplied on January 15th, 2015 at 9:29 pm

I’m sure that would work! Let me know how it goes, Chrissy.

Laura Cooperposted February 3, 2015 at 3:57 pm

I tried these today, but without the sugar or cinammon. They worked brilliantly and even my 16 month old daughter (who I struggle to get to eat fruit and veg) ate some. I need to make more now because we have eaten them all!

Luzposted February 25, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I want to make theese for a party… But i want to make them ahead. Do you know for how long they stay good??

• Sallyreplied on February 25th, 2015 at 5:09 pm

They stay crunchy for about a week.

Thingposted April 21, 2015 at 11:20 am

Hi Sally, would like to know if you are using a dehydrator/baking oven for this apple chips?

• Sallyreplied on April 21st, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I use an oven.

Kaitlynposted May 4, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Hey, can I use bananas instead? Are there any types of other fruits i can use?

Barbaraposted August 9, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Thank you for doing these blogs. I am a non denial diabetic now who has changed her life totally. While, I am not the most domestic and would balance a check book, I know I have no choice now but to start eating at home for health sake. I have eliminated sweets for one month now and it has made a change in my blood sugar. So I have been looking for alternatives. I want a taste of sweet now and then but without sugar or the like and no way will I use sugar substitutes. Cinnamon is a great choice and good for you. But with this recipe, how much should I really use? Remember, I am not very domestic:) Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on August 9th, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I’d say for 3 apples – about 1/2 teaspoon sprinkled over all the slices. Enjoy!

Oliviaposted September 27, 2015 at 6:01 am

Made these for the first time today and oh my gossh… they were so flipping good. Would highly recommend this recipe to anyone :)