Summer 2013 + Cookbook News.

While the summer isn’t officially over yet, Labor Day has always been the “unofficial” (aka depressing) end of summer for me. Kids are back in school, the weather… is… still pretty hot, there are less mosquitos biting me, and the days are getting shorter.  While you know how much I love the summer months, I am SO excited for fall to get here.  Cozy sweaters, boots, pumpkin coffee treats, engagement photos, and shopping for my wedding gown.

This summer was different than any summer I’ve ever had.  It was the first summer in 5 years that I wasn’t holed up in an office building.  The first summer I’ve been engaged (but not the last summer I’ll be engaged either! Sept 20 2014 ). It was the first summer I lived with Kevin and the first summer I spent writing a cookbook and being self employed.

Do more of what makes you happy

Cookbook Details

Back in April, I left my office job in the corporate world to concentrate on growing and developing my website.  Before that, I had been juggling both a full time job and SBA. April was the same time that I signed the contract to write Sally’s Baking Addiction Cookbook as well. Since then, I’ve been writing my manuscript, baking 75 “secret” recipes behind the scenes, and taking 100s of photographs of them all in my teeny tiny apartment. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve been getting sneak peeks. 😉

The book has 8 chapters:

• Breads & Muffins
  • Breakfast
  • Brownies & Bars
  • Cakes, Pies, & Crisps
  • Candy & Snacks
  • Cookies
  • Cupcakes
  • Healthy Choices

The longest chapters are cookies and healthy choices.  The book contains 70 new and exclusive recipes, and 5 recipes that are already on my blog – 5 of my very favorites that I chose to publish.

I have made every single recipe at least twice – seriously. That is a lot of food!  I’ve been very busy behind the scenes. I made one of the pies in my book 7 times.  The first 4 were trial and error, the last 3 were because it is SO good. Just you wait. 😉

There is a HUGE assortment of recipes.  Some I have never even come close to sharing before on my website.  Streusel muffins, glazed breads, stuffed fresh toast, cheesecake, layer cakes, crumb cakes, crepes, doughnuts, ice cream cakes, mini cupcakes, fruit crisps, bundt cakes, milkshakes, granola, pancakes, ice cream cupcakes, and a few recipes from my grandmother that I grew up loving.  There’s also a lot of peanut butter, sprinkles, butterscotch, chocolate, lemon, caramel, pumpkin, mint chocolate, and Nutella. I include gram measurements and label certain recipes as gluten free or vegan where appropriate.

Two favorites? A recipe with caramel whipped cream and a SKINNY chocolate cake (!!!!!).

I’ll be finished with the manuscript in a few weeks, then the book will be in the hands of my publishing team to edit. Then – print!! My cookbook will be available in Spring 2014. I’ll announce the Amazon pre-order as soon as we are finished the cover – which will be VERY soon. Can you guess what will be on the cover?

Here are a few instagram shots I’ve taken this summer of my #sbacookbook baking!

SBA Cookbook

New Website Layout

Now that all of my time is dedicated to Sally’s Baking Addiction, I wanted a sleeker design.  Clean, simple, fresh, & user-friendly – still maintaining the all of the colorful fun you are used to.  A huge thank you to Lindsay from Purr Design to make it all happen.  She was wonderful to work with.  Patient, creative, knowledgable, quick, and professional.  I learned a lot from her!

A few favorite moments & recipes from the summer:

Deep Creek Lake vacation

Choosing the bridesmaids dresses.

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 4.05.03 PM

Deciding on the shoes I want.

Tiffany Blue I Do Something Blue Wedding Shoes

Making & eating Salted Caramel Apple Pie on July 4th

Salted Caramel Apple Pie-10

So much cookie dough.

Cookie Dough Pretzel Bites-3

Even more cookie dough.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Pie. Loaded with EXTRA cookie dough!-5

Going to St. Lucia

Trip to St. Lucia

Working from home with my trusty assistant…

Cake Batter Ice Cream.

What were your favorite parts about the summer (so far)?

Stay tuned for more cookbook news!

166 Responses to “Summer 2013 + Cookbook News.”

Caleyposted August 30, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I’m so excited for your cookbook! I’m sure it will be just amazing. And I bet the cover will have…sprinkles! 😉 I love that bridesmaid dress. It’s so pretty! Plus that’s really cool that your bridesmaids can wear it after the wedding…it’s a cute dress for any event! I definitely envy you that you weren’t stuck in an office all summer. My office building doesn’t even have windows because it used to house top-secret stuff. :(

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 7:05 am

Thanks so much Caley – and you know what? Thanks for everything. You are my most loyal reader and I always look forward to reading your comments and recipe feedback. Photography feedback as well. I’m glad you are excited for the book! Well at least you aren’t tempted by the sunshine all day – it’s kind of like you’re in your own little world at work. We had gorgeous views in our office building and it made sitting inside difficult!

• Caleyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 8:42 am

Well, you are the most loyal blogger! :) You deserve all the success you have, and more…and I hope the cookbook will set you on the path you want for your life! And about office windows, my building is in a beautiful location as well, in a canyon with deer and elk and even (sometimes) mountain lions, so I definitely miss having windows! I just walk around the building several times a day to get some fresh air. :)

Emmaposted August 30, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Congrats on everything you have going! That’s a lot with the wedding and the book! I’m getting married in February. Get excited for dress shopping I loved it.

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 7:03 am

I can’t wait to find the dress and experience all of that, Emma! And congrats on your upcoming wedding! It’s getting close.

Sabrinaposted August 30, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I’m so excited for your cookbook! I know it’s been a labor of love for you and it’s going to be fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 7:03 am

Thanks so much Sabrina – it’s definitely been challenging. But I am getting there. I appreciate the support!

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted August 30, 2013 at 7:18 pm

What a post! First of all, congrats on being so close with the MS being finished and turned it and sounds like when you turn it in, all the recipes will be photographed and done and you’re DONE with the cooking. I remember on my first book, when I knew I was done with cooking/shooting and could just concentrate on the writing/edits, that it was like a walk in the park. I THOUGHT I was done with that on this book…but…god only knows. I wish I did :) The weight of the world is almost off your shoulders! Congrats, Sally. I am soooo happy for you.

The breadth and scope of the recipes sounds incredible. I have purposely not asked you much about them b/c I wanted to be surprised right along with everyone else! The instagram teaser pics are great. I am noticing that swirled pan of brownies, those M&M bars, the cookies – all right up my alley.

Making a pie 7 times. That was me and my freakin’ pumpkin pie for the book. Except just 4 times. 7 cannot.imagine.

And of course, your site is beautiful and of course it all hit, all at once. Nothing like feeling just a wee bit busy :) So happy for you b/c it’s just a joy to watch this all unfold for you!! xoxo

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 7:01 am

Thank you so much Averie! For all the kind comments. I learned so much from you as you experienced it all last summer. I had no idea how difficult it would be until I was fully emersed. It’s been very challenging and I’ve had to really push myself some days! I remember you saying that you always just remembered holding the book in your hands when the times got difficult. That’s what I always do. Can’t wait to open it for the first time! Thanks for all the support – ALL the time. xo

Monicaposted August 30, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Wonderful new look, Sally! And so many amazing things going on for you; I’m very happy for you and wish you the best! Keep sharing your wonderful treats! Have a great Labor Day weekend!

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 6:59 am

Thank you very mmuch Monca! Have a fantastic Labor Day weekend as well :)

jessicaposted August 30, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I love your blog Sally and all of the unique spins on recipes! Definitely planning on pre-ordering the book. One of my favorite parts of your blog is all the insightful tips, substitutions, and suggestions. I really hope that you are able to include some of that info as well. I have learned so much about baking just by reading! I wish you well and can’t wait for more details.

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 6:56 am

Hi Jessica! Thanks so much for saying hello and the sweet comment. Yep, my book will read like my blog. I’ll be including tips and tricks as well.

Trudyposted August 30, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Very exciting! You’re awesome…keep it up :)

martiposted August 30, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Gosh…so excited!! Can’t wait. Its been a huuuggeee year for you. Enjoy every moment… congrats!!!

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 6:56 am

Thank you VERY much Marti!

Eileenposted August 30, 2013 at 9:42 pm

And here’s to a happy fall!

Sarah@WholeAndHeavenlyOvenposted August 30, 2013 at 10:22 pm

So excited for your cookbook to come out! Good luck in preparing the rest of it!
    I’ve been following your blog since the beginning of the summer and I feel as if I have learned so much from you and your wonderful blog! Keep up the great work and congrats on all your great accomplishments!!

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 6:48 am

That is so sweet Sarah, thank you! And I am glad you enjoy following my blog. Thanks for the support!

Tieghanposted August 30, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Congrats Sally!! Words cannot describe how happy I am for you!! I bet it feels so amazing to be close to the finishing point. I love all the teaser instagram photos. They are making me incredibly excited to get that book in my hands. You know I will be pre ordering and promoting the heck of your book to all my readers!! People NEED this book. It a must for any baker! Ugh, I seriously cannot wait!!

As for the new site design, you already no I love this!! It is SO you!

Also, loved the summer recap! Sounds like it was a great (and busy!) one!

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 6:47 am

Thanks so much for all the support Tieghan! You’ve been so great this whole summer, being so supportive! Thank you very much for that. And you are so sweet to offer to promote my book too!

Luv What You Doposted August 30, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Congratulations! That is a HUGE success!

Rebeposted August 30, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I’m so excited for your cookbook to be released! My sisters and I enjoy baking your recipes. And I love the new website design!

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 6:45 am

Thank you so much Rebe! For your support about my book and for the comment about my redesign. I’m glad readers are liking it!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.posted August 31, 2013 at 12:45 am

I can’t wait to get that book of yours in my hands!

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 6:45 am

Thanks Stephanie! :)

Adiposted August 31, 2013 at 5:49 am

I love your recipes….. Will I be able to get the book in Israel?

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2013 at 6:44 am

Hi Adi! I believe it will be available worldwide, yes.

Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchenposted August 31, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Like so many others, I can’t wait for your cookbook to be available for purchase! You’ve had such an exciting summer!!
    I like your redesign too!

• Sallyreplied on September 1st, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Thanks so much Michelle!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted August 31, 2013 at 6:24 pm

What an awesome (and well-deserved) year you’ve had, Sally. I’m so happy for you, and I cannot WAIT to get my hands on your cookbook. I know it’s going to be amazing!

• Sallyreplied on September 1st, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Thanks so much for your support Ashley! You’ve been a huge cheerleader through the whole journey and I can’t thank you enough!

Starposted August 31, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I can not WAIT for your cookbook!!! I WILL be buying it!!!
    Every single thing of yours that I’ve made is so yummy that my picky boys wan more!!! And that’s not easy to do!!!

I’m guessing on your cover is SOMETHING w/ sprinkles, as we all know they’re your favorite!!!

• Sallyreplied on September 1st, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Hi Star! Thanks so much for your excitement about my cookbook, that means a lot! I know you love baking my recipes :) And yes – sprinkles on the cover!

Jessicaposted August 31, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I bet there will be SPRINKLES on the front of your cookbook! Congrats on all the wonderful changes and best wishes for all that is to come!

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted September 1, 2013 at 3:06 am

Awww, Sally! Looks like you had an amazing summer – without a day job and being engaged and the cookbook?! So excited for you! I’ll be the first one in line when your book comes out :)

Nicolaposted September 1, 2013 at 4:11 am

Congratulations on getting your MS finished. I co-wrote part of a chapter for a scientific book this year, and have just had to proof-read it – that was hard enough! I can’t imagine being responsible for a whole book AND illustrations (much as I would love to…)

Summer is definitely at an end in the UK too, but at least this year we have had a summer! Lots of days on the beach. Eleven days in Disneyland Paris. And my elder son is going to Med School this month!

I love reading your blog, I’m a keen baker and it’s good to be able to mix up the British baking tradition with American treats – the children think so too!!

• Sallyreplied on September 1st, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Nicola, you are so sweet and thoughtful to leave this comment! Thank you very much. And co-writing part of a scientific book sounds challenging! I’m so happy you enjoy reading my blog. Thanks for taking the time to say hi.

Angelaposted September 1, 2013 at 11:20 am

wow congratulations on all the great things in your life! you definitely deserve it. btw, lovin the new website layout, a little more sleek & easy to navigate.
    can i throw a guess on the sbacookbook cover challenge? i say it’s something with peanut better and/or chocolate!

• Sallyreplied on September 1st, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Hey Angela! Thanks so much for the congrats. And the cover recipe does have chocolate in it!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Lifeposted September 1, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Girl, you have had one heck of an amazing summer/year! I am so excited for your cookbook…I’m sure there is going to be sprinkle goodness on the cover right?

Lynn Bradshawposted September 1, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Congrats on your cookbook! Can’t wait til it comes out and add it to my collection!!!
    you be been a huge inspiration to me and my baking. I made your chocolate cookies ( the ones you called THE chocolate chip cookie with cornstarch in batter) in my pastry arts class and everyone loved them!!! They always tell me to make them. I even made them for an event for the president of the school!!!
    the recipe will be put in the main recipe book we use in class starting next quarter!!! ( and yes I LL remember to make sure you are credited on the recipe. Thanks for all the inspiration and keep up the great work!!!

• Sallyreplied on September 2nd, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Hi Lynn! I loooove those cookies so much. Great recipe. Thanks for crediting my site as the source. I’m glad to be your inspiration! And thanks for your excitement about my cookbook :)

~Amanda~posted September 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

I discovered your website only within the last few months and it is by far one of my favorites to peruse. I have baked so many goodies from it, shared the goodies with friends, family, and neighbors, repinned your recipes, Instagrammed my SBA favorites, you name it. Baking has become a fairly new hobby of mine I picked up in the last couple of years. Your site is such an inspiration and I can’t wait until your cookbook comes out! If I could preorder now I would!

• Sallyreplied on September 2nd, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Hey Amanda! Thank you so much for all the support and love. I am so happy that you enjoy my website and recipes so much! Thanks for sharing on your IG too! I’m so happy that you’re excited about my book too- thank you!

Sineadposted September 1, 2013 at 6:13 pm

The cookbook sounds fab! I hope it will be available in Ireland (or even in the UK), I’d love to pick up a copy when it comes out :-)

• Sallyreplied on September 2nd, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Hi Sinead! Yep the book will be available in the UK.

Nicolaposted September 1, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I am SO excited about your cookbook! Huge congratulations! I’m from Scotland and a friend told my about your blog. I’m so glad she did because I love it! I tried your peanut butter cup cookies and they went down extremely well…my kids said they were amazing! I wish you all the best with the cookbook and your wedding..I think you have a very bright future ahead of you :-)

• Sallyreplied on September 2nd, 2013 at 11:57 am

Hi Nicola! I’m 75% Scottish :) and I’m so glad to hear that you love reading my blog and my recipes. Those PB cup cookies are unbelievable. Truly one of my favorite cookie recipes! Thank you for all the support and taking the time to leave me such a sweet comment!

Amyposted September 1, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Sally, good for you for following your dreams! It’s a huge step to leave the comfort and security of an office job — where you aren’t your own boss — and start working from home. You must be one of the most motivated, dedicated, and creative people I’ve met! It’s so exciting to hear your cookbook news, and hopefully you’ll celebrate your humongous accomplishment!

• Amyreplied on September 1st, 2013 at 8:13 pm

P.S. I absolutely adore your new theme and layout! It’s so fresh, colorful, and cute while still being 100% classy. It fits you and your personality perfectly!

• Sallyreplied on September 2nd, 2013 at 11:28 am

Amy you’ve been such a wonderful friend and support during this transition for me! And during the whole time I’ve web writing the cookbook. Cannot thank you enough!! So happy you’re excited for the book and that you like my new website design :)

• Amyreplied on September 2nd, 2013 at 2:48 pm

It’s been my pleasure Sally! You’ve been so sweet, upbeat, and positive over the spring and summer — never once complaining about your huge workload or any failed recipe attempts! — and that’s really inspiring to me. I promise I’ll be cheering you on just as much in the future too! :)

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted September 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm

So freaking stoked for your cookbook!!! Can’t think of any blogger who deserves it more!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted September 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I can’t wait for Spring 2014, Sally!! I need that cookbook nowwwwwww. 😀

Jen @ Savory Simpleposted September 3, 2013 at 8:42 am

First of all, I love your new website! It’s bright, colorful and perfect for you. Second, I’m so excited for you! You have so many wonderful things happening and I can’t wait to see your cookbook :)

• Sallyreplied on September 3rd, 2013 at 9:44 am

Thanks Jen – and THANK YOU for always being a #1 support. You are the best. xo

laurasmessposted September 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

Aw yay! Haha, I just wrote prematurely on your last post about the new blog layout. Love it! So wonderful to hear that you’re following your dream with the food writing and recipe developing. Good things ahead, both in terms of your career and the WEDDING! Yay!!! Sending you all of the best wishes in the world, Sally. I know that the cookbook is going to be a huge success xx

Alexis @ deliciousfoodideas.netposted September 4, 2013 at 1:30 am

Life win! Good job and congratulations. It’s great to see all your hard work paying off, you deserve it! So excited about your cookbook, I’m totally buying when it comes out.

• Sallyreplied on September 4th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Thanks Alexis!!

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchenposted September 5, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Can’t wait for your cookbook and to do a review! I’m already excited about all of the skinny treats. xoxo

• Sallyreplied on September 5th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Monique, you’re the best. xoxo

Laura Dembowskiposted September 5, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Congratulations on your cookbook Sally! I know it will be fantastic. Your site looks great too, although I thought it looked pretty awesome before :). I really hope my blog takes off like yours!

• Sallyreplied on September 5th, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Thank you so much Laura! You’ve always been a huge support!

Harper Gunnposted September 8, 2013 at 9:16 am

Is your cookbook going to be international, I’m an expat in Dubai and I really love your blog

• Sallyreplied on September 8th, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hey Harper! Yes, it will be sold worldwide.

Nutmeg Nannyposted September 10, 2013 at 12:06 am

Yay so so exciting :) I can’t wait to get my hands on your book! and I’m aching to see even more on the wedding, I miss planning!

Julie @ Table for Twoposted September 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

I’m so late on this but I adore your new design :) the sprinkles are totally you!! I can’t wait for your cookbook and you’ve totally earned and deserved all this! xo

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thank you very much Julie!! Much appreciated. :) :)

Christine @ 24 Carrot Kitchenposted February 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Hi – I was wondering how long the new blog design took? Did it take a few weeks or a few months? I am wondering what the typical process is like?

Spencer Millerposted December 12, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I wanted to start off and tell you how much I love your blog. I probably go to it 5 times everyday looking for inspiration. It is so simple to navigate and a huge eye catcher.

I am 16 years old and I am trying to start up my own food blog. I already have an instagram account where I post my food.

I was wondering what theme you use for your blog?

Thanks so much for yourt ime and your amazing recipes!

• Sallyreplied on December 12th, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Hi Spencer. I’m glad you enjoy my blog! Good luck with your new blog– my website designer, Purr Design, created a custom theme for my website. Sorry I’m not more help!