Summer 2013 + Cookbook News.

DCL1

While the summer isn’t officially over yet, Labor Day has always been the “unofficial” (aka depressing) end of summer for me. Kids are back in school, the weather… is… still pretty hot, there are less mosquitos biting me, and the days are getting shorter.  While you know how much I love the summer months, I am SO excited for fall to get here.  Cozy sweaters, boots, pumpkin coffee treats, engagement photos, and shopping for my wedding gown.

This summer was different than any summer I’ve ever had.  It was the first summer in 5 years that I wasn’t holed up in an office building.  The first summer I’ve been engaged (but not the last summer I’ll be engaged either! Sept 20 2014 ). It was the first summer I lived with Kevin and the first summer I spent writing a cookbook and being self employed.

Do more of what makes you happy

Cookbook Details

Back in April, I left my office job in the corporate world to concentrate on growing and developing my website.  Before that, I had been juggling both a full time job and SBA. April was the same time that I signed the contract to write Sally’s Baking Addiction Cookbook as well. Since then, I’ve been writing my manuscript, baking 75 “secret” recipes behind the scenes, and taking 100s of photographs of them all in my teeny tiny apartment. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve been getting sneak peeks. 😉

The book has 8 chapters:

• Breads & Muffins
  • Breakfast
  • Brownies & Bars
  • Cakes, Pies, & Crisps
  • Candy & Snacks
  • Cookies
  • Cupcakes
  • Healthy Choices

The longest chapters are cookies and healthy choices.  The book contains 70 new and exclusive recipes, and 5 recipes that are already on my blog – 5 of my very favorites that I chose to publish.

I have made every single recipe at least twice – seriously. That is a lot of food!  I’ve been very busy behind the scenes. I made one of the pies in my book 7 times.  The first 4 were trial and error, the last 3 were because it is SO good. Just you wait. 😉

There is a HUGE assortment of recipes.  Some I have never even come close to sharing before on my website.  Streusel muffins, glazed breads, stuffed fresh toast, cheesecake, layer cakes, crumb cakes, crepes, doughnuts, ice cream cakes, mini cupcakes, fruit crisps, bundt cakes, milkshakes, granola, pancakes, ice cream cupcakes, and a few recipes from my grandmother that I grew up loving.  There’s also a lot of peanut butter, sprinkles, butterscotch, chocolate, lemon, caramel, pumpkin, mint chocolate, and Nutella. I include gram measurements and label certain recipes as gluten free or vegan where appropriate.

Two favorites? A recipe with caramel whipped cream and a SKINNY chocolate cake (!!!!!).

I’ll be finished with the manuscript in a few weeks, then the book will be in the hands of my publishing team to edit. Then – print!! My cookbook will be available in Spring 2014. I’ll announce the Amazon pre-order as soon as we are finished the cover – which will be VERY soon. Can you guess what will be on the cover?

Here are a few instagram shots I’ve taken this summer of my #sbacookbook baking!

SBA Cookbook

New Website Layout

Now that all of my time is dedicated to Sally’s Baking Addiction, I wanted a sleeker design.  Clean, simple, fresh, & user-friendly – still maintaining the all of the colorful fun you are used to.  A huge thank you to Lindsay from Purr Design to make it all happen.  She was wonderful to work with.  Patient, creative, knowledgable, quick, and professional.  I learned a lot from her!

Web

Favorites.

A few favorite moments & recipes from the summer:

Deep Creek Lake vacation

DCL19-13

Choosing the bridesmaids dresses.

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 4.05.03 PM

Deciding on the shoes I want.

Tiffany Blue I Do Something Blue Wedding Shoes

Making & eating Salted Caramel Apple Pie on July 4th

Salted Caramel Apple Pie-10

So much cookie dough.

Cookie Dough Pretzel Bites-3

Even more cookie dough.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Pie. Loaded with EXTRA cookie dough!-5

Going to St. Lucia

Trip to St. Lucia

Working from home with my trusty assistant…

Jude-5

Cake Batter Ice Cream.

Cake-Batter-Cookie-Ice-Cream-Sandwiches-7

What were your favorite parts about the summer (so far)?

Stay tuned for more cookbook news!

166 Responses to “Summer 2013 + Cookbook News.”

Jen @ Savory Simpleposted September 3, 2013 at 8:42 am

First of all, I love your new website! It’s bright, colorful and perfect for you. Second, I’m so excited for you! You have so many wonderful things happening and I can’t wait to see your cookbook 🙂

• Sallyreplied on September 3rd, 2013 at 9:44 am

Thanks Jen – and THANK YOU for always being a #1 support. You are the best. xo

laurasmessposted September 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

Aw yay! Haha, I just wrote prematurely on your last post about the new blog layout. Love it! So wonderful to hear that you’re following your dream with the food writing and recipe developing. Good things ahead, both in terms of your career and the WEDDING! Yay!!! Sending you all of the best wishes in the world, Sally. I know that the cookbook is going to be a huge success xx

Alexis @ deliciousfoodideas.netposted September 4, 2013 at 1:30 am

Life win! Good job and congratulations. It’s great to see all your hard work paying off, you deserve it! So excited about your cookbook, I’m totally buying when it comes out.

• Sallyreplied on September 4th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Thanks Alexis!!

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchenposted September 5, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Can’t wait for your cookbook and to do a review! I’m already excited about all of the skinny treats. xoxo

• Sallyreplied on September 5th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Monique, you’re the best. xoxo

Laura Dembowskiposted September 5, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Congratulations on your cookbook Sally! I know it will be fantastic. Your site looks great too, although I thought it looked pretty awesome before :). I really hope my blog takes off like yours!

• Sallyreplied on September 5th, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Thank you so much Laura! You’ve always been a huge support!

Harper Gunnposted September 8, 2013 at 9:16 am

Is your cookbook going to be international, I’m an expat in Dubai and I really love your blog

• Sallyreplied on September 8th, 2013 at 10:48 am

Hey Harper! Yes, it will be sold worldwide.

Nutmeg Nannyposted September 10, 2013 at 12:06 am

Yay so so exciting 🙂 I can’t wait to get my hands on your book! and I’m aching to see even more on the wedding, I miss planning!

Julie @ Table for Twoposted September 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

I’m so late on this but I adore your new design 🙂 the sprinkles are totally you!! I can’t wait for your cookbook and you’ve totally earned and deserved all this! xo

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Thank you very much Julie!! Much appreciated. 🙂 🙂

Christine @ 24 Carrot Kitchenposted February 23, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Hi – I was wondering how long the new blog design took? Did it take a few weeks or a few months? I am wondering what the typical process is like?

Thanks!

Spencer Millerposted December 12, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I wanted to start off and tell you how much I love your blog. I probably go to it 5 times everyday looking for inspiration. It is so simple to navigate and a huge eye catcher.

I am 16 years old and I am trying to start up my own food blog. I already have an instagram account where I post my food.

I was wondering what theme you use for your blog?

Thanks so much for yourt ime and your amazing recipes!

• Sallyreplied on December 12th, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Hi Spencer. I’m glad you enjoy my blog! Good luck with your new blog– my website designer, Purr Design, created a custom theme for my website. Sorry I’m not more help!