Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.

These pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are a MUST try this fall! Perfectly soft & chewy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies without being cakey.

These CHEWY (not cakey!) pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are a must try recipe from sallysbakingaddiction.com. You will love them!

Introducing this week’s pumpkin recipe. It’s a doozy. I am 100% in the autumn state of mind.  There is no turning back for me. Pumpkin coffee, harvest scented candles, apple pie, fall inspired Pinterest boards. I can’t believe it’s already September, but I am truly loving every moment of it.

Earlier this week I compiled a little list of things I want to do this fall. I can’t wait to carve pumpkins and put them on our new patio out front.  Looking forward to pumpkin brews, boots, long walks, and fuzzy scarves. This is truly the best time of year. :)

To do this fall...

What are you looking forward to this fall season? Hopefully pumpkin cookies are on your list. I’m a little crazy when it comes to pumpkin cookies. I am not a fan of soft, cakey pumpkin cookies and pumpkin tends to make every single batch of cookies – cakey.  It’s like eating a pumpkin muffin top or something. Which is obviously delicious, but when I want a cookie – I want a cookie, not a muffin.

Still with me? This “cakey pumpkin cookie issue” has haunted me for 2 years.

Pumpkin cookie problems, I call it.  I made about 5 batches of cakey pumpkin cookies last year and experienced the same amount of cakey cookie batches this year as well.  I have been secretly making pumpkin cookies the entire summer, trying desperately to find the solution to my cakey cookie problem. But guess what? I solved it. I FINALLY made a chewy, soft pumpkin chocolate chip cookie that – gasp!! – doesn’t taste like a piece of pumpkin cake.

Don’t get me wrong, these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are still extremely soft. However, they are not soft like a piece of cake.

Let’s discuss how these chewy (!!) pumpkin cookies came to life.

Pumpkin is, for lack of better words, gloppy. Doesn’t that sound appetizing? But seriously. It’s soft, it’s mushy, it’s full of moisture. It’s approximately 90% water by mass. Excessive moisture = cakey. Think about muffin batter. It’s a lot more wet than cookie dough, right?  Muffins are cakey. Cookies should not be cakey. So we want the cookie dough to be much drier than muffin batter. However, we don’t want to go throwing a bunch of flour into the cookie dough to soak up all the moisture. There’s a few tricks I learned along the way.

First, I took what I know from my tried and true Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies. Melted butter. Melted butter makes cookies ultra chewy, so I knew right off the bat that I wanted to melt the butter, not cream it, for my pumpkin cookies. Plus, the extra liquid from the melted butter helps cookies spread in the oven. Spreading means a crispier edge. And while these cookies aren’t crispy in the slightest, I still wanted to get as close to a crispy/chewy cookie as I could. So melted butter it is.

Second, I took a second thought about eggs. What is the purpose of eggs in a cookie recipe? They bind things together, they tenderize the baked cookie, and leave behind moisture.  I cut out the eggs completely.  After some experimenting, I learned that pumpkin can replace the eggs.

I try not to add too many chocolate chips to the dough. Blasphemy, I know.  I want the pumpkin flavors to shine through and chocolate has a way of overpowering things.  1/2 cup of chocolate chips was the right amount.

The cookie dough will be a bit sticky. I chilled the dough for only about 30 minutes and suggest you do the same.  The cookies spread slightly in the oven, so when you roll the cookie dough into balls, slightly flatten them out.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

All ovens are different. If you find that your cookies didn’t spread much during their 8-10 minute bake time, flatten them out a bit when you remove them from the oven to cool. After I remove them from the oven, I like to press a few chocolate chips into the tops. The chips will melt and the cookies will be pretty.

The most important part of the cookies’ journey to chewiness is to let them sit. Let them cool on the cookie sheet or on a wire rack for awhile. I found that the cookies get chewier over time. I baked a batch yesterday and notice that they are much chewier and softer on day two, even when left uncovered overnight. The pumpkin flavor is also much stronger on day two as well – similar to how banana bread’s flavor is glorified over the course of a day or two.

Because of this, these cookies are a GREAT make ahead recipe.

Chewy not cakey! Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Seriously!! You have to try these cookies this pumpkin season. Chewy, chewy, chewy and oh-so-soft. These are my favorite pumpkin cookie and I am so happy (and quite relieved to tell ya the truth) to finally find the perfect recipe.

Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield: 18 cookies

Prep Time: 45 minutes (includes chilling)

Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes

Perfectly soft & chewy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies without being cakey.

• 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115 grams) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup (50 grams) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 Tablespoons (86 grams) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg1
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves1
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice1
  • 1/2 cup (90 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the vanilla and pumpkin until smooth. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The dough will be very soft.  Fold in 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. They may not stick to the dough because of the melted butter, but do your best to have them evenly dispersed in the dough. Cover the dough and chill for 30 minutes, or up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory.
  3. Take the dough out of the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  4. Roll the dough into balls, about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough each. Slightly flatten the dough balls because the cookies will only slightly spread in the oven. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked. Keeping them in the oven for longer may dry them out.  Remove from the oven and press a few more chocolate chips onto the tops, if desired.  If you find that your cookies didn't spread much at all, flatten them out when you take them out of the oven.
  5. Allow the cookies to cool for at least 10 minutes on the cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack.  The longer the cookies cool, the chewier they will be. I let them sit out for at least 1 hour before enjoying.  I find that their chewiness and pumpkin flavor is more prominent on day 2.
  6. Make ahead tip: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can make the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.Allow to come to room temperature and continue with step 3. Baked cookies freeze well up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well up to three months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw.

1. Use 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice instead of nutmeg, cloves, and allspice, if desired. Don't leave out the cinnamon. I like to add a lot of spices to increase the cookies' spice/pumpkin flavor. Go by your spice preference.

Try them with dark chocolate chunks, too!

Dark Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

Q: What is on your fall check list? Anything you have planned? Anywhere you want to go? Anything you want to bake?

CHEWY NOT CAKEY! Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies-- a chewy pumpkin cookie is hard to come by. This recipe nails it!

449 Responses to “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Beckyposted November 25, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Trying these today! Do you pack the brown sugar?

• Sallyreplied on November 25th, 2014 at 12:54 pm

yep, brown sugar is packed for all my recipes.

Matthewposted November 25, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I added 1/4 teaspoon of ginger to this recipe and used a Pampered Chef small cookie scoop for placing them. It makes smaller cookies so you can eat a few and not feel so bad! Doing so yields 45 cookies instead of 18.

Christina Hillposted November 29, 2014 at 6:03 pm

I have made your recipe exactly as is and they are delicious, but I made them today with white chocolate chips and I have to say I love them even more that way! Either way, I’m so glad I discovered this recipe! It will be one of my favorite go to recipes when I’m in the mood for pumpkin!

Donnaposted December 18, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I made these 4 times this season and they were excellent! The only problem I had was when I froze a batch. They did not unfreeze well; they were a darker color and didn’t taste as good. I am not sure why that happened, but I will be sure to make fresh every time as they are SO GOOD!

Michelleposted December 24, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Do you have to use parchment paper? Can you just put them on non stick cookie sheets?

• Karenreplied on August 17th, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I don’t see the answer  to the question “if you have to use parchment paper or will a nonstick pan work?”

Jazposted January 2, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Apologies if this question has already been asked but I was just wondering if you could substitute the canned pumpkin for some real pumpkin?
    Many thanks! love your recipes!

• Sallyreplied on January 2nd, 2015 at 1:43 pm

fresh pumpkin puree is just fine. enjoy!

Chelleposted September 11, 2015 at 7:35 am

It’s finally time for all things pumpkin, my absolute favorite season!!  I’m in love with these cookies Sally because they are better the second day. Absolutely perfect for sending in care packages. :-)  My kids are so appreciative when they receive a package of home baked Sally’s cookies, and I love sending them. Thanks for sharing such amazing recipies and inspiration. Your love of all things baking just shines through in such a genuine way, it’s infectious!  Blessings.

• Sallyreplied on September 11th, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Thanks Chelle– and I agree about the next day. They’re SO good on day 2! Thanks for such a sweet comment.

Tina @ Tina's Chic Cornerposted September 12, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Sally, I made these cookies last week and they are amazingly delicious!  I blogged about them at:

Thank you SO much for sharing an awesome recipe!  I’ll definitely be making these over and over again.  :)

Hillaryposted September 13, 2015 at 11:34 pm

This recipe did not turn out for me and the cookies turned out how they were not supposed tombe: cakey.  I don’t know why. I cooked the first tray for 8 minutes and they were puffy and cakey (I followedthe recipe to a T, so it was not because of too much bakig powder). The second tray I cooked for about 6 or so minutes and they were uncooked/slightly raw.  It could br my oven but I think I’ll pass on trying this recipe again.

• Lesliereplied on October 3rd, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Me either. They smell good and are alright tasting, but these are not chewy at all- definitely cakey in texture. That said, the flavor is good, but I think I’ll pass on making these again.

Melindaposted September 14, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Hi Sally. I adore your recipes. :) especially your brown sugar cookie recipe. You’re fantastic. ^-^
    These look delicious and I’m dying to try them since I’m a HUGE pumpkin addict.
    But I have a question and I will be very sad if it doesn’t work but, will Libby’s Pumpkin Pie mix work?
    Would I have to adjust the recipe in any way?
    Thanks for reading. :)

• Justinereplied on September 27th, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I didn’t see your question answered directly,  but in the recipe she specifies not to use pumpkin pie mix.

Bosseymomposted September 19, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!! I have been on a mission to make a non cakey pumpkin cookie for years and today my mission was complete!! Myfamily and I thank you!! They are amazing and will be a staple in our household for many many years to come!! Happy Fall

Michelleposted September 20, 2015 at 9:18 pm

I tried this and they didnt turn out quite right and I thought, “Well, thats weird” and then I thought, I will add an egg to the rest of the batter, those were okay as well. I went back to the recipe and realized I only added half a stick of butter instead of a whole. Goodness! I knew it had to be my skills, my reading skills.

My boyfriend loved them either way. He said “Well, they are healthier”.

Brittanyposted September 22, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Hi Sally! My mom’s birthday is coming and i want to make her a cookie cake. She loves pumpkin so this would be perfect! Could I just throw the dough in a 9 in cake pan without any modifications? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Yes, definitely! 9-inch cake pan, yes. Unsure of the exact bake time– bake until lightly browned on the edges and a toothpick comes out relatively clean.

• Brittanyreplied on September 22nd, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Awesome!! Thanks!!

Peggyposted September 24, 2015 at 6:22 am

Dear Sally, absolutely scrumptious cookies! Gobbled up by my family in a flash. Question, what to do with all this leftover pumpkin though? Thanks again, always love your recipes..

Peggyposted September 24, 2015 at 8:18 am

Wow, thank you for answering me so quickly and tagging some of your amazing pumpkin recipes! Not sure where to start, or which one to try first ha! My daughter is whispering in my ear the pumpkin cheesecake swirl bars or the pumpkin cheesecake muffins. Will certainly give one of those a go and report back. Thanks again!!

Letia Fowlieposted September 29, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I made these with GF flour instead, and they were outstanding!! Especially the next day! Ah! So yummy!! Everything I ever wanted in a cookie! I’m making more tonight. I shared your link to my FB page since everyone wanted the recipe too! Thanks!!!

Alisonposted September 29, 2015 at 8:04 pm

You are a genius!! I hate cakey pumpkin cookies! While they’re still delicious, they’re not cookies. They’re just flat pumpkin muffins! Thank you for this recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

Lisaposted October 3, 2015 at 2:05 am

Just made these and they came out perfectly!! Can’t tell you how many cookie recipes I’ve tried from various blogs that never come out right. The flavor profile and texture is so spot on. I am so looking forward to trying more of your recipes!

Sarahposted October 6, 2015 at 7:13 pm

These were delish! I think next time I will have to double the amounts to make twice as much, they are disappearing fast in my house, Thanks for the great recipe, its a keeper! I used the pumpkin pie spice instead of using the individual spices and coconut oil instead of butter and they came out perfectly.

Sarahposted October 9, 2015 at 3:53 pm

These sound great – any suggestions for a baking time for making them as cookie bars? (Maybe as a double batch in a 9×13 pan?)

• Sallyreplied on October 10th, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Unsure of the exact time– maybe 40ish minutes. Give or take.

Erinposted October 11, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I made these today, but I used butterscotch chips instead of chocolate chips, and I used pure maple syrup instead of white sugar.

They turned out amazing. And the maple syrup added just a touch more fall to the aroma.

Definitely saving this recipe.

Thanks a bunch.