Skinny Peanut Butter Banana Muffins.

You won't even realize these Skinny Peanut Butter Banana Muffins are lightened-up! Get the recipe at

Meet my latest breakfast. And snack. And midnight snack. And oh-my-gosh-I’m-finished-my-cookbook-manuscript snack.

Healthified peanut butter banana muffins that you can actually feel good about eating. Sweetened with honey and mashed bananas, left moist from ripe bananas and protein-packed Greek yogurt, whole-wheat, creamy peanut butter, mini chocolate chips, and a melted peanut butter drizzle – the last two things are totally optional, but kinda required if you ask me.

My love for peanut butter runs deep.  And peanut butter lovers deserve a healthy treat every now and then, right?!

Skinny Peanut Butter Banana Muffins. Packed with flavor, whole wheat, and sweetened with honey.

All of the ingredients packed inside are normal, familiar, and you might just have them all inside your pantry right now.  I didn’t even need to make an extra trip to the grocery store when my peanut butter craving hit.  → LOVE it when that happens.

(peanut butter craving is a daily occurrence.)

There aren’t any beans hiding inside the muffins. No expensive and chalky-tasting protein powders, no beets (yes I’ve seen that), no strange sweeteners you can’t pronounce… basically nothing weird.  Good-for-you, ordinary ingredients that are hiding under your nose.

And my gosh, they look incredible don’t they?

Like all of my skinny muffin recipes, making them is actually quite simple.  Buy a couple bananas now and wait a few days for them to get a little speckly brown.  The riper, the better.  The bananas will act as a natural sweetener.  With the bananas, I use a touch of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of honey.  I love honey and peanut butter together and try to combine the two as often as possible in my baking.  Feel free to use pure maple syrup instead.

The brown sugar? I found that the muffins weren’t perfect without it.  You’ll only be using 4 Tablespoons of the stuff – which equates to only 1 teaspoon of brown sugar per muffin.  You can certainly leave it out, but you may not enjoy the muffins as much as you could. 😉

I love to add protein-packed Greek yogurt to my healthy muffin recipes. It gives them a tender, moist interior without all the fat from butter or oil. Plus, it’s packed with muscle-building protein. I use 0% Chobani Plain, but any fat content would be just fine.  You could even use Chobani’s banana, vanilla, or honey flavors too!

The peanut butter.  Oh my lanta, the peanut butter.  I’ve tested the muffins with natural, homemade honey roasted, and non-natural peanut butter (like Jif).  The muffins are fantastic with any of them!  I love using Skippy Natural because it is not oily.  If using natural, make sure it isn’t oily.  Oily peanut butter will drastically weigh down the muffins. Do not use powder peanut butter.

Jude likes to help in the kitchen; he’s a great peanut-butter-cleaner-upper.

Jude - Peanut Butter

When you fill your muffin tins, make sure you fill them up until practically full.  Don’t be scared, they won’t overflow.  You’ll be baking the muffins at two different temperatures.  An initial burst of hot air for 5 minutes, then a lower temperature for the remaining time. The initial high temperature will create a lovely dome in your muffins. But only if you fill them practically all the way full.

Like so:

Like I mentioned earlier, the mini chocolate chips are completely optional.  There are so few mini chocolate chips in the batter – just enough to taste the chocolate.  Feel free to leave them out.  You could add nuts, dried fruits, or leave the muffins plain.

I personally love banana, peanut butter, and chocolate together – so into the batter the chocolate chips went. 😉

I only drizzled a few of the muffins with melted peanut butter.  Can you guess which muffins Kevin and I liked the best?!  Yeah, umm these muffins are the next best thing to a spoonful of peanut butter.

I wrote the recipe with enough extra peanut butter to drizzle on top of each muffin.  But again, you don’t have to drizzle away.  Something about enjoying a warm, healthy muffin full of peanut butter (and warmed peanut butter on top!) is so comforting in the morning. Especially when I come in from a 45 degree run with Jude at 7am.  Apparently it’s already winter?!

You are just going to love these muffins. They are PACKED with flavor, moisture, and warmth.  Lightly sweetened, cinnamon-spiced, and enough peanut butter flavor to make a peanut butter cup jealous.  Eating just one with some fruit held me over until lunch. They are filling!

Don’t like the flavors in these muffins? I have plenty more healthy muffin recipes for you!

Skinny Peanut Butter Banana Muffins.

Yield: 12 muffins

Prep Time: 10

Total Time: 30 minutes

Peanut butter, banana, and honey come together in these healthy whole wheat muffins. Chocolate chips are optional, but necessary...

• 2 ripe large bananas, mashed with no chunks
  • 1/4 cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
  • 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup 0% Plain Chobani Greek Yogurt (or regular yogurt, any flavor/fat content)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or cow's milk, soy milk, rice milk)
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (non-oily natural style is OK)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 and 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour (or an even mix of whole wheat + all-purpose) (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, honey, brown sugar, yogurt, egg, and milk together until combined.  Whisk in the peanut butter and vanilla extract until smooth and thick. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips together (if using).  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and lightly whisk until combined.  Try not to overstir the muffin batter or your muffins will have a tough (not soft) texture. Stir as little as possible until no flour pockets remain.

Fill the muffin cups practically all the way to the top. Between 3/4 full and all the way full. See photo above for a visual.  Bake for 5 minutes at 425F degrees. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350F and continue to bake for 12 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Drizzle muffins with melted peanut butter if desired. Muffins stay fresh at room temperature for 3 days. Muffins without peanut butter on top freeze well, up to 3 months.

Here are a few more healthy peanut butter treats:

Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Bars

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola by

Chewy Fudge Granola Bars (packed with PB!)

No Bake Chewy Fudge Granola Bars

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie (23 grams protein)

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cupcakes

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Cupcakes

299 Responses to “Skinny Peanut Butter Banana Muffins.”

Ivaposted January 18, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Hello! A wonderful recipe, thank you so much! Just wondering, can I freeze the muffins after/before baking?

• Sallyreplied on January 18th, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Yep– after baking is best. Up to around 3 months.

Anneposted January 19, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Sally, I am always searching for good low fat, low sodium recipes due to by-pass surgery and these muffins were so very good. So many times you try out recipes that do not turn out well. Your recipe was a big hit with my husband and son. Needless to say, they did not last long at all. They turned out so pretty and moist, I did not even bother to add icing as the whole purpose for baking was skinny muffins. Thanks so much for what you do in helping those like me out with your great recipes.

Jennaposted January 24, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Would the recipe work if I used all-purpose flour instead pf whole wheat?

• Sallyreplied on January 24th, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Jacqueposted February 7, 2015 at 3:03 pm

These muffins are great to bake in batches to store in the freezer. They are my go-to breakfast and absolutely delicious with coffee. I’m baking some right now and wanted to let you know how much I enjoy this recipe and your cookbook

Tara caldwellposted February 10, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Do you have an idea of how many calories per muffin? Without drizzle and without chocolate chips.

Jadeposted March 4, 2015 at 11:23 pm

I was worried about these because the batter didn’t taste the best to me (raw eggs don’t scare me!) but they were delicious! My Mom who eats nothing remotely healthy even said they were good. I think they taste even better after being frozen and defrosted. I made them for kids lunches but I find myself having them for breakfast and post workout snack!

• Jadereplied on March 4th, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Oh and I made mine into mini muffins!

Ninaposted March 5, 2015 at 12:04 pm

About how many calories is a muffin? TIA

Farahposted March 26, 2015 at 10:46 am

Hi Sally!

I’m wondering if you could point me in the right direction. Lately I’ve been weighing all my ingredients (as opposed to using measuring cups) & I find that my muffins have been a much thinner consistency.
    I also usually use a blender to mix the wet ingredients (while simultaneously mashing the bananas).
    When I compared my batter to yours, I could see mine was much thinner, more pourable than scoopable & I’m left with around 16 muffins.
    Do you think using the blender or weighing my ingredients contributes to my problem?
    Previously, I would just use measuring cups & no blender, but I’m finding this new method easier but with mixed results. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

• Sallyreplied on March 26th, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Hi Farah. I have no doubt that the blender is mixing the batter too much, cutting through it all much too quickly, and the resulting batter is thin.

Farahposted March 26, 2015 at 11:13 am

I wanted to add that the muffins turned out fabulous, but more of a cake like consistency. Wondering if I’m adding too much air when blending…
    So delish! Thank you.

Tamaraposted April 15, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I follow your blog and have made all sorts of things and this is another incredible one. I’m sitting here with some afternoon coffee and one of these loves and am just so happy! These are excellent rainy day treats. Thank you for another wonderful recipe!!

Aarti Jethwaniposted April 15, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Hi sally, can i use 2 tsp baking soda instead of 1 baking soda + 1 baking powder?

Amyposted April 23, 2015 at 3:40 pm

These were perfect! Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed freezing them & reheating for a quick breakfast.

London Ladyposted May 1, 2015 at 4:41 am

Just made these two nights ago. A massive hit with both my boyfriend and colleagues! Thank you for creating such a delicious and relatively guilt-free treat!! Satisfies on so many levels – light and banana-bready muffin texture, peanut butter taste and chocolate….YUM

Jenalee Lathamposted May 5, 2015 at 1:40 pm

I have made this recipe at least 5 times now, and EVERY single time they are a big hit!
    I made big muffins last night, as well as mini muffins (the mini muffins only took about 7 minutes), and my toddler devoured several this morning, as well as my coworkers when I brought some into the office.

Great recipe!

T.Murphyposted May 17, 2015 at 11:45 am

Where do I find the nutritional information for this recipe?

SandyfromCAposted May 19, 2015 at 1:25 am

These are one of my go-to recipes for breakfasts for my kids, ages 6, 3, and 22 months.  The protein goes a long way in the AM.  I found adding a little extra banana along with making sure not to overlook them are important to a moist muffin.  Thanks!

Katieposted May 24, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Wow – these muffins are delicious! Thank you for a yummy and healthier muffin option. Wondering if you know the calorie count and protein grams per muffin. Thanks!!

Nikkiposted May 30, 2015 at 10:27 am

Never posted about a recipe online before, but had to today because these muffins are amazing! And pretty much fool-proof (which is really important given the number of baking disasters i’ve had!) Thank you so much for sharing it

Kinilleposted June 5, 2015 at 1:27 pm

How many calories are these skinny Pb muffins, i found it at one point but have now lost it. ): Thans for the recipe. Its a Family favorite!

Claireposted June 22, 2015 at 10:53 pm

i have a bowl of bananas that I have already mashed, about how many cups would 2 bananas be?

• Sallyreplied on June 23rd, 2015 at 11:37 am

about 1 cup

Chanposted June 26, 2015 at 7:23 am

Hi Sally, First of all well done for all of your good recipes. Secondly, I would like to ask you if I had to add vegetable or canola oil in your cup cake recipes would they still come good? My intention to add vegetable or canola oil is that I would like the cup cakes to be more moist. What do you think? I shall be trying Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cupcakes and Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins. Also, instead of the peanut butter chips, can I use crushed non salted peanuts?
    I look forward to hear from you soon. Thank you, Chan

• Sallyreplied on June 26th, 2015 at 8:06 am

Chan– no need to add oil to the two recipes you mentioned. The cupcakes/muffins are plenty moist without out! You can use peanuts instead of the PB chips, yes!

Germaineposted July 5, 2015 at 7:29 am

Hi Sally, thank you for the gorgeous recipe. I replaced all flour with 2/3 cup coconut flour, added an extra egg, used coconut sugar and cacao nibs  instead of brown sugar and dark chocolate respectively. They turned out really moist. I’m really looking forward to breakfast this week.

Tiaposted July 15, 2015 at 10:07 pm

These are delicious!  I have two for breakfast and I am full for hours!  They are wonderful!  I will definitely be making these often!!  Thanks for such a great recipe!

Stephanieposted July 21, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I love finding recipes to use for my ripe bananas!  I knew just the website to browse when I had two ripe bananas this morning.  :-)  Delicious recipe!  I am so glad I tried it today.  It is definitely one I would make again.  Thank you!

Eriolaposted July 22, 2015 at 8:09 pm

We love these muffins. Do you know how many calories one of them is? When I log the recipe on it comes out to 1,990.

• Carlyreplied on August 25th, 2015 at 3:58 am

Can’t you just divide by the number of muffins?

Kristiposted July 28, 2015 at 8:57 pm

These sound fabulous. Question: I don’t keep yogurt or applesauce. Without having to run to the store,  I’m wondering if there is another option/substitution I could use instead.

• Sallyreplied on July 29th, 2015 at 8:52 am

buttermilk, a little more mashed banana, or sour cream work.

Yingciposted August 25, 2015 at 9:59 am

This recipe is definitely a keeper – So moist and delicious! I substituted peanut butter with cashew butter as my 3y/o has peanut allergy. The steps are so easy, I made a batch with my 3y/o, she did most of the work and was so proud of herself (and the 1y/o stole the spoon and licked the batter off the spoon, it was that good!) Thank you thank you and thank you!!!

Carlyposted August 30, 2015 at 6:32 am

Thanks for a great recipe! At first they weren’t sweet enough for my taste and I thought they were bland, but the flavors meld together more and get sweeter after the first day. Really yummy and very moist. For the second batch I substituted 3/4 cups flour with oat flour, added some walnuts and a little more chocolate chips, and they were so good

Amy Rposted September 5, 2015 at 1:56 pm

I made three batches of these muffins to give out after an upcoming 5K race. After the second batch I realized that I was in the tragic situation of being OUT OF PEANUT BUTTER (how does that even happen???). So I for the third batch I used Nutella instead. OMG. Let’s just say that the 5K is only getting two batches and the third is my precious.

• Sallyreplied on September 5th, 2015 at 2:07 pm

MUST try with Nutella!! Happy accident. 😉

• Amy Rreplied on September 5th, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Just to add, this is the first time I’ve made muffins that weren’t from a mix. Your clear directions and awesome recipe made it easy!

Colleenposted September 11, 2015 at 8:59 am

I made these for breakfast this morning and they are sooooo good! I’m a huge fan of yours Sally! Every recipe of yours that I try is amazing. I love how you explain details -makes baking so much easier!

Vanessaposted September 29, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Just made these, turned out so good! Instead of chocolate chips I added chopped apple. Great combination! Thanks for the recipe!

Marinaposted September 30, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Delicious!  I had a couple Reese’s pb cups, so I chopped them up and added them in place of the chocolate chips.  SO good!