Iced Pumpkin Coffee Cake.

Iced Pumpkin Coffee Cake - super moist, bursting with fall spices, and easy to make! Recipe by

Happy Fall Equinox! Today, the night and day are nearly exactly the same length – 12 hours – all over the world. I’m such a nerd.

No matter what time of day it is though, I could happily gobble up this entire fall-spiced coffee cake. It has got to be one of the best things to have EVER come out of my kitchen. Kevin (who doesn’t even like pumpkin – I know. I KNOW!) actually enjoyed it. It’s the epitome of autumn on a breakfast plate. Or dessert plate… or midnight snack plate.

It took me a couple tries to get this pumpkin coffee cake to be perfect.  The first one? Not too pumpkin-y.  I want an in-your-face pumpkin explosion.  So, I added more pumpkin.  The second cake? Not enough crumbs on top!  You all know how crumbs are the best part… right?

Third times a charm.  This super-crumb pumpkin explosion will have you jump out of bed and race to the kitchen table any morning of the week.  Oh, and it gets even better.  This is the moistest coffee cake I’ve ever had!  You can thank the oil, pumpkin, brown sugar, and maple syrup for that. I loathe dry, bland baked goods.  None of that nonsense here.

Let’s see how you can make this beauty at home this fall. You’ll need a round-up of super simple ingredients like flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, oil, and milk.  The cake is sweetened with brown sugar and maple syrup.  Not too much of either though. The crumb topping and glaze sweeten the cake, so there was no need for more sugar in the cake itself.  Maple and pumpkin flavors complement each other so well. You will just love it!

There are no eggs in the cake batter. Pumpkin will act as a binder, so there really wasn’t a need for them in this particular coffee cake. That means this cake is vegan-friendly as well. (As long as you are using a dairy-free milk in the cake & icing and dairy-free butter in the crumb topping.)

The batter is super thick. You might question yourself. Did I do something wrong here?! No, you didn’t.  The batter is very, very thick.

The crumb topping? Easy-peasy. Flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cold butter.  Cut the cold butter in with a fork or pastry cutter until it begins to clump together and form crumbs.  Pour that glorious crumb streusel on top of the batter and gently press it down into the cake before baking.  The cake takes about 32-35 minutes.  It’s easy to overbake this cake because you can’t really see if it’s browning underneath all the crumb topping.  Check the cake with a toothpick at the 30 minute mark. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. A few moist crumbs are ok.  Wet batter on the toothpick? That cake needs more bake time.

As the cake bakes, make the icing.  I recently bought pumpkin spice coffee creamer from Target for my morning java. I mixed the creamer with a little confectioners’ sugar. Boom! Pumpkin-spice glaze to drizzle on top of my coffee cake. If you can’t find pumpkin coffee creamer, no problem! Just use milk instead.

I love cutting into this cake when it’s nice and warm. Pour the glaze on top and watch it drip down the sides and seep into the crumbs. So good, it should be illegal. Kevin’s old coworkers were VERY pleased when he dropped off extra slices to them last week. When they heard the cake was pumpkin-flavored, they literally grabbed pieces with their hands.

Sugar-free Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer - love this stuff!

Stop reading and go make this coffee cake NOW.  Fall just got a huge kick in the pumpkin pants. I don’t even know what that sentence means! This cake is making me crazy.

Iced Pumpkin Coffee Cake

Yield: 9 servings

An incredibly moist and flavorful spiced-pumpkin coffee cake, piled high with a crumb topping and finished with a simple glaze. To keep vegan, use dairy-free butter and milk/coffee creamer.

• 1/2 cup (62 grams) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons or 60 grams) unsalted butter, cold
  • 1/2 cup (100 grams) packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Pumpkin Coffee Cake

• 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg1
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves1
  • 1 cup (244 grams) pure pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup (100 grams) packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable oil (or melted coconut oil)
  • 1/4 cup (82 grams) pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) milk2

Vanilla Glaze

• 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners' sugar
  • 1-2 Tablespoons Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer or milk

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease and lightly flour a 9-inch square or round baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  2. Make the crumb topping first: In a small bowl, toss the flour, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon together.  Cut in the cold butter  using a pastry blender or a fork.   Mix to create clumps and crumbs. Set aside.
  3. Make the cake: Whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves together in a large bowl until combined.  In a medium bowl, whisk the pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, maple syrup, and milk together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until *just* combined. Try not to overmix the batter. It will be very thick.  Spoon/pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Spread to make an even surface.  Pour the crumb topping evenly on top and gently press them down into the batter.
  4. Bake the cake for 30 minutes.  Check the cake's doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the toothpick comes on clean with a moist crumb or two, the cake is done.  If the toothpick has wet batter on it, bake the cake for 5 more minutes.  The cake takes 32 minutes in my oven.
  5. Make the glaze:  Whisk the confectioners' sugar and 1 Tablespoon of creamer/milk together until smooth. Add more creamer/milk to thin, if desired. Drizzle over cake. Enjoy cake warm or at room temperature. Cover cake tightly and store at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
  6. Make ahead tip: This cake may be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying.

1. Instead of nutmeg + ground cloves, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice can be used in addition to the cinnamon.
  2. I prefer to use buttermilk in this coffee cake.  Buttermilk makes the cake even moister than any other kind of milk.  I highly recommend it.  However, regular cow's milk or dairy-free milk would be just fine.

A homemade Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino would go wonderful with your pumpkin coffee cake. PS: my version saves you a ton of calories!

Skinny Frappuccino - Pumpkin Spice

Lover of coffee cakes? Try my Super-Crumb Coffee Cake next!

Super Crumb Coffee Cake

Use the rest of  your pumpkin can in any of these recipes.

This is a MUST try! Moist and flavorful spiced-pumpkin coffee cake, piled high with a crumb topping and finished with a simple glaze!

237 Responses to “Iced Pumpkin Coffee Cake.”

Tammyposted September 13, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I made this coffee cake and it is as amazing as you described it! I did not glaze. The crumb topping was so delicious we didn’t need any more sweetness. Love it, love it, love it! Thanks so much!

Lorileeposted September 13, 2014 at 7:39 pm

So I’m on a baking spree here in Brookyn. So far all if your recipes have been a successful hit. Pumpkin chicolate chip bread, chiocolate chip pumpkin cookies., A++++. Question, pure maple syrup, can I substitute, let’s say molasses or just reg pancake syrup instead?? Pure maple syrup only ingredient not in he house at the moment.

• Sallyreplied on September 14th, 2014 at 1:56 pm

pancake syrup would be best, but the pure maple flavor won’t be strong.

Raeposted September 18, 2014 at 10:18 am

This was amazing! I’ll definitely be making it again. I didn’t have the pumpkin coffee creamer so I added some cinnamon to the glaze. I also substituted the oil for applesauce because ya know, it’s important to save those calories for when I eat the whole cake in one sitting. Which I almost did.

Donnaposted September 26, 2014 at 9:20 pm

So here is how this went down.

I found your site and this pumpkin iced coffee cake high up on a Google search. I checked that I had all the ingredients – even the buttermilk left over from another recipe. Needed to buy DARK brown sugar, since I don’t always stock that.
    Great. Time to bake. I read over the recipe and realize that eggs have obviously been forgotten on the ingredients list. But, then I read all your notes (I had only breezed through them the first time) and see where you clearly mention “no eggs.”
    Should I believe this young woman, who I have never seen before, when she swears that it is the moistest, pumpkiniest, most delicious pumpkin cake recipe around – even without any eggs? No, I thought this can’t be so. Every pumpkin, apple, carrot, and zucchini cake or bread I ever made had EGGS in it. Some just one egg, others 3 or 4. But, NEVER, “0” eggs.

What to do? What to do? What to do? Do I take a chance?
    Well, I did it YOUR way – no eggs!

I NOW HAVE A GIRL CRUSH ON YOU! (Seriously, don’t tell our husbands!)

Now, I consider myself a pretty decent and prolific baker. I have been asked to “please sell us your baked goods” so we can give them as gifts. But, I must pass my 55 year old baton to you dear Sally – I am in awe of you!

I am the lover of all things PUMPKIN. (I practically camp out at the local Trader Joe’s waiting for them to get their seasonal pumpkin items.) My family just tolerates my love of all things pumpkin and eats whatever I serve. But, YOUR pumpkin iced coffee cake really turned their heads.

Kudos to you! You have a new fan who will be checking out some more of your yummy recipes.

Then we need to work on getting you TV show.

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2014 at 3:25 pm

This comment made me smile – for like an hour. Loved reading it. Thank you so much for trying this recipe out and taking the time to leave this story and comment, Donna!

Staceyposted September 27, 2014 at 1:37 pm

So I just made this coffee cake and…WOW! This is the moistest cake EVER! Sally, your recipes never disappoint. This is definitely a winner! I think I might have to take it out of the pan and make another one because it’ll be gone quickly and I’ll want some more. Thanks again!

Kariposted September 30, 2014 at 1:16 pm

I found this recipe after it was featured on BuzzFeed, and the pictures looked amazing, so I gave it a whirl last night. I didn’t have a 9X9 pan, so I decided to make muffins instead, and I brought them to work with me this morning. They disappeared almost instantly. :)

Thanks for the great recipe! I can’t wait to make something else!

And congratulations on your wedding!

karenposted October 2, 2014 at 8:22 am

I am going to make this for my MOPS meeting tomorrow. Do you know if it can be assembled in the evening and baked in the morning? I do this with some other coffee cakes, but wasn’t sure if it would work with this one! Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 9:06 am

Hi Karen! Sorry for the delay responding, I was on vacation. Unfortunately, the batter – once prepared – must be baked right away.

• karenreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 9:29 am

I just mixed everything up in separate bowls the night before and then combined it in the morning and baked so I could take it nice and warm to my meeting. It was a hit! Everyone loved it and my kids made me bake another one just for them.

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 9:54 am

I’m so glad! Thanks Karen.

shawnposted October 11, 2014 at 6:09 am

I did a search for Pumpkin coffee cake and your recipe popped up. Even though it the clock said it was time for bed, I couldn’t resist making this quick and easy cake so I could have it for breakfast in the morning. Well, it smelled so wonderful coming out of the oven I just had to do a little ‘quality control’ tasting in advance- It’s delicious! I substituted half of the oil with apple sauce. This cake has a nice texture and wonderful flavor. Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

Dani Conleyposted October 13, 2014 at 7:42 pm

This Pumpkin Coffee Cake was AMAZING!!! I was craving something pumpkin today and this totally hit the spot. It was so unbelievably good, I am beyond impressed with your recipes!

Just a quick note, I ended up using honey in place of the maple syrup since I had run out and it worked perfectly. The cake was so moist, perfect flavor and texture!

Michelle @ Modern Acupunctureposted October 18, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Hi Sally! I made this Iced Pumpkin Coffee Cake as a “Thank You” cake for some of my coworkers this past week and it went down like a house on fire! Someone who is not known for being chatty even came into my cubicle to ask for the recipe! I made it again two days later because it was just so good. I also gave the recipe to my mom and she just made one today and loved it! So thank you for this amazing recipe! So divine :)

Noelle Wposted October 22, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I’ve made this cake twice now…once for work and another time for a neighbor. I’ve gotten so many complements on it. Plus while this cake is baking, it makes my house smell better than any pumpkin-whatever candle I have ever bought.

Lindsayposted October 24, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Amazing!!! I substituted milk for plain Greek yogurt and it was delish! Thank you for such a fab recipe :)

Annabelleposted October 28, 2014 at 10:36 am

Hello,I was wondering if this would do well frozen you think? I try to make things ahead for my wonderful family to have a fabulous breakfast before school and work. Thanks so much!

Jenposted November 2, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I made this for a new mom after the baby was born and she said it was the best cake she ever had! I just made a batch for my family and can’t wait to try it! I added a dash of cinnamon to the glaze for an added touch. Also, I think the crumb topping would be greatly enhanced with some pecans! Next time. ..

Sarahposted November 22, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Hi! I just wanted to say this coffee cake is so good. I made them twice as mini loaves for a charity bake sale. I first followed the other posters instructions about baking 28 minutes, and I found it was too long for mini loaves. So the first batch was over baked, but still good. I checked before that, but not in time to catch them from when they went from batter to moist crumb. I keep an oven thermometer in my oven, so I know I am at the right temperature. I found for true mini loaves (8 to a pan) it’s about 15 minutes. The difference in the quality of this cake not over baked was huge! Also, it was a perfect amount of batter for either 5 small loaves, or 8 mini loaves. Great recipe!

Ellenposted December 9, 2014 at 10:19 am

Made for the second time, and for the second time, swooned. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Shanaposted December 15, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Hi! Quick question – if I needed to bake this in an 8×8 what, if any, modifications should I make? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2014 at 5:56 pm

The bake time will be a little longer. I’m unsure how much longer.

• Sarahreplied on May 16th, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Actually, I baked in an 8×8 pan and my cake was done in 28 minutes, and I use an oven thermometer.

Barbaraposted January 28, 2015 at 9:39 pm

This is my go to coffee cake since finding it this fall. I’ve made it at least 4 times. I usually double the recipe to make a 9 X 13 cake. Very moist.

Doreenposted April 28, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I am making your amazing pumpkin coffee cake but I do not have dark brown sugar only light brown. Will using only light brown make a difference in the taste of the coffee cake?

Thank you.

• Sallyreplied on April 29th, 2015 at 8:09 am

I prefer dark brown for its stronger molasses flavor. Light brown will be just fine though.

• Doreenreplied on April 30th, 2015 at 12:48 am

Words cannot express how absolutely amazing your cake is. The brown sugar substitute worked just fine. Thank you. I’m attending a brunch this Saturday, and I know everyone will love it. Besides who says you can only eat pumpkin during the holidays.

Reneposted May 4, 2015 at 4:37 pm

I was drooling as this was in the oven. I used a gluten free flour blend in the cake, Melt butter spread in the crumb topping, and vanilla almond milk and maple extract in the icing. However, I was disappointed in the taste of the finished product. All I can taste is cinnamon. There is way, way too much cinnamon throughout this recipe. It overwhelms the pumpkin. I will make this again, as I need to bake gluten and dairy free, but I will eliminate the cinnamon from the crumb topping, and replace the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves with pumpkin pie spice. There’s no need to use cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, since cinnamon is the first ingredient in pumpkin pie spice. Even with my maple icing, I can’t taste anything other than cinnamon when eating it. Oh well, my husband likes it. Thanks for the recipe, but a heads up for people who don’t want to be overwhelmed by cinnamon. I will make again with adjustments.

Sarahposted May 16, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Sally, although the cake was delicious, it did taste a little salty to me. Was yours like this as well? The only substitution I made was to replace half the oil with extra virgin coconut oil.

• Sallyreplied on May 17th, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I don’t think the coconut oil would be the issue. I don’t find it salty at all, especially with all that crumb topping and glaze. Feel free to reduce the salt if you decide to make it again Sarah!

Madeline Qposted September 8, 2015 at 8:14 pm

This is one of my favorite pumpkin recipes! One of my coworkers is gluten free and dairy free, and I’d like to make a version that she can eat (especially since the dairy free instructions are already there!). Do you think I can directly substitute gluten free flour for the all purpose flour?

• Sallyreplied on September 9th, 2015 at 7:18 am

It’s worth a try! I’ve never tried it myself but if you find a cup-for-cup GF flour you like a lot, try it out. Let me know!

Jo C.posted September 12, 2015 at 11:59 am

Just made this and I absolutely love it! I replaced the oil with butter because I find butter compliments the pumpkin amazingly. Definitely making this again! Thanks Sally!!

Katieposted September 13, 2015 at 10:34 am

if I don’t have the baking soda can I double my baking powder amount?

Pamelaposted September 19, 2015 at 7:53 pm

My friend made this for a party last year and it was a huge hit!!! I decided I had to give it a go for myself now. One question though- how linn would you recommend baking if I wanted to make muffins/cupcakes instead of a cake??

• Sallyreplied on September 20th, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Hi Pamela! This is great for muffins– simply spoon batter into individual muffin liners. Fill the liners to the top. Bake for around 20 minutes or until baked through.

• Pamelareplied on September 20th, 2015 at 9:36 pm

They ended up cooking perfectly at 18 min at 350 degrees!  Thanks so much again for this recipe! I made the muffins this morning and my friends have devoured all 24 already!

Veronicaposted September 21, 2015 at 1:32 am

Dear Sally. My friend made this cake and it turned out delicious! It had a nice orange pumpkin hue to it. However when I made it, it turned out dark colored inside, molasses color I would say and the batter was never very thick as described. However it was very moist and soft inside. What could have been the problem?

• Sallyreplied on September 21st, 2015 at 11:46 am

So glad you love the cake Veronica– thanks! Did you change anything about the recipe at all? I’m really unsure what it could be if you followed the recipe exactly?!

• Veronicareplied on September 22nd, 2015 at 12:00 am

Sally, today I purchased an oven thermometer to confirm accurate oven temp. It turns out that I had to raise my temp by 20 degrees and I merely combined the wet ingredients as oppose to mixing them. I guess a combo of the two made the difference.I made the cake once again and it turned out perfect. Thanks for this delicious recipe.

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2015 at 8:08 am

Excellent! So glad. Thanks Veronica!

Carrie Rposted September 24, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Just wanted to say I made this yesterday and my coworkers ate the entire thing so quickly! One guy went back three times! Great recipe, easy to make, and great taste. Will make again this fall season.

Reese OBrienposted October 8, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I’m baking this with my sister when I return home for Thanksgiving. We have a baking marathon prior to all the big holidays. Thanks for sharing!

Annaposted October 15, 2015 at 5:17 am

Oh, man. I loved this coffee cake so so much! In fact ive probably already commented on this saying so. Cant wait to make it again this year!

Ingaposted October 19, 2015 at 10:06 am

Dear Sally,
    I can’t remember making a cake that had SO MANY fans just after having successfully chewed and swallowed the first crunchy, juicy pieces. Friends, colleagues, family… everybody got seriously addicted to this fabulous pumpkin cake within the first seconds. And I’m not excluding myself – I literally can’t stop baking it!! I guess I made a fair dozen of these orange goodnesses in the last weeks, happily doubling and tripling the recipe whenever necessary 😀 Thank you for this new all-time favourite! ♥
    “Chapeau” from Germany! :)

Jposted October 25, 2015 at 10:32 am

Can I substitute applesauce for the oil to reduce the fat?

Sophia Rosarioposted October 28, 2015 at 2:56 pm

The recipe sounds amazing; would it work if I doubled the recipe and baked it in a bundt pan?

• Sallyreplied on October 28th, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Yes, definitely! Though I am unsure of the exact bake time.

Neil Frankposted November 1, 2015 at 2:05 pm

WOW!! Made this early this morning for the gang and it was a HUGH hit with everybody.
    Sweet, rich, moist and absolutely DELICIOUS!!! Thanks for the recipe, you made me a STAR!!!!

Celesteposted November 3, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Excellent!  I used half butter and half coconut oil, and sprinkled chopped pecans on top before baking. Very very good. Thank you

Betty Sueposted November 5, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I made this tonight for our school breakfast…had to try it!!  It is absolutely wonderful!!!  Yum!  Thank you!!!  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

terraposted November 7, 2015 at 1:18 am

I only have a 8×8 pan. how much longer do I cook this for?

• Sallyreplied on November 7th, 2015 at 6:48 am

I’d say about 5 more minutes or so, give or take.

Laurenposted November 14, 2015 at 10:06 pm

This looks so good!!! I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to serve the cake chilled, or is it better just to serve it room temperature?

• Sallyreplied on November 15th, 2015 at 8:45 am

I always prefer it at room temperature.

Terryposted November 14, 2015 at 11:11 pm

this recipe sounds wonderful. I am gluten free and dairy free, can I substitute with this recipe….I so want to try it! TIA

Crystalposted November 20, 2015 at 10:33 am

I made this with wheat flour and added some chopped pecans to the top. Delicious!! Definitely a keeper!

Lisa G.posted November 23, 2015 at 8:23 pm

I need to make this for a crowd; would you recommend doubling it in a 9×13 or just making two 9x9s?

• Sallyreplied on November 23rd, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Make two 9×9 pans. I always recommend that instead of doubling because working with a higher volume of batter could result in overmixing.