Favorite Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies.

These flavorful and moist pumpkin oatmeal cookies are super soft without being cakey. Truly one of my favorite ways to enjoy the fall!

These are my favorite pumpkin cookies! Filled with oats, chocolate, and cranberries!

Your weekly daily dose of pumpkin is here. And you might want to listen up. This recipe is one of the best.

You’re aware of my cakey pumpkin cookie problem, right? It took me 12 tries to develop a soft (not cakey!) pumpkin chocolate chip cookie. And last month, I finally nailed it! Those soft-baked cookies have been a HUGE hit on my website so far. Try crumbling them over vanilla ice cream…

I gave myself a new challenge over the past few weeks… to keep things exciting.

Soft-Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies filled with your favorites like dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and chocolate chips!

I’m an oatmeal cookie kind of girl. My favorite cookie varieties all include oats: oatmeal raisin, oatmeal scotchies, oatmeal creme pies, I could go on and on. I’ve been craving a soft, slightly chewy pumpkin oatmeal cookie.  Lots of texture without any of that cakey business.  I baked a ton of different batches of pumpkin oatmeal cookies in 2 days, changing ingredients ever so slightly, and here is the winning recipe.

These pumpkin cookies are better than I ever expected.

I brought them to my friends Kristen and Seth before heading out to a double date sushi night. They both couldn’t resist a taste before dinner. My friend Erin came over the next day and she too – couldn’t resist. She said they were the best cookies she’s ever eaten. I made another batch of the pumpkin oatmeal cookies to bring to my friend Marie when we visited her last weekend in Cleveland. She described them as “better than an oatmeal creme pie” and “ohhhhhhh I need another one.”

Can’t argue with any of ’em!

They’re dense like an oatmeal cookie should be, incredibly moist and soft-baked style without tasting like a cakey pumpkin muffin.

I made three different varieties to share with my friends because I couldn’t choose what add-ins I wanted.

• The first? Cranberry Chocolate Chip.  Oh-so-delish, obviously.
  • The second? White Chocolate Cranberry.  Pumpkin and white chocolate are a match made in heaven.
  • And the third variety I made? Dark Chocolate Pecan with Pumpkin Seeds. I think I liked those the best! ♥

So many goodies to choose from for your pumpkin oatmeal cookies! Do you want to know the best part? This recipe is one of the easiest cookie recipes I’ve ever made. There is no mixer required. There is no dough chilling required. No extra work, no extra dishes, no waiting around for dough to chill! When I want a pumpkin cookie, I want it NOW. And thankfully, you can have it now.

A few notes before you begin:

(1) The dough is very heavy, sticky, and thick.  It will not be dry like some cookie dough. It’s very wet.

(2) Use a cookie scoop for ease. The dough is rather sticky and will get all over your hands, so make use of your cookie scoop.  I find that a cookie scoop is especially helpful when working with little bakers. Don’t have a cookie scoop? You should buy the one I swear by (in size large). Or you can use a spoon. Use about 2-3 Tablespoons of dough per cookie. It depends how large you want your cookies. When you place your cookie dough balls on the cookie sheet, press down ever so slightly. Don’t flatten the cookies, but just press them down lightly. This will give them a “spreading head start.”

(3) A third note about my cookies: don’t leave out the molasses. In the first test trial of these cookies, I didn’t add any molasses. The cookies were completely flavorless, despite the amount of spices I used! Molasses is one of my favorite fall/holiday flavors and you will love it inside these cookies.

(4) The egg. Oh the egg. I wanted my pumpkin oatmeal cookies to have a rich, tender texture without tasting cakey. Now I’ve explained to you before what an egg’s purpose is in cookie dough. I’ve also explained to you that replacing an egg with pumpkin will fix the cakey cookie problem. In the second test trial of these cookies, I did not add any eggs and the cookies were sort of dry. In the third test trial, I used an egg. Too cakey! The solution? Just use 1 egg yolk.  Surely you know how much I love using egg yolks in cookies, right? So much richness!

(5) Last but not least, I found that my cookies have the best flavor and consistency on day 2. Similar to banana bread and carrot cake. The molasses and spices have melded together and the pumpkin flavor really comes out. The cookies are soft and slightly chewier. In fact, there were leftover cookies by day 4 (I had made a double batch) and they were STILL so soft and flavorful. Now that’s what I call a cookie success.

So ladies and gentlemen… (do any males read my blog besides my dad? I know Kevin pretends to.) …I bring you my favorite pumpkin oatmeal cookies!

Soft-Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

Yield: 15-18 large cookies

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

These spiced, flavorful pumpkin oatmeal cookies are soft without being cakey. No dough chilling, no mixer, less dishes, more cookies!

• 2 cups + 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice1
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup dark molasses
  • 3/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree2
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 cups total add-ins3 (chocolate chips, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, pecans, white chocolate, or a combination)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt together. Fold in the oats. Set aside.
  3. Melt the butter in the microwave in a medium size bowl. Whisk in the molasses, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Once combined, whisk in the egg. Add the pumpkin and vanilla and whisk until thick and combined completely. Pour into dry ingredients and gently mix. The dough will be very thick, heavy, and sticky. Keep mixing until just combined, no more. Fold in your add-ins.
  4. Scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets. About 2 or 3 Tablespoons of dough per cookie. Slightly flatten the help the cookies spread in the oven. Do not flatten completely. See my photo above for a visual. If desired, press a few of your add-ins onto the top of the cookie dough balls for looks.
  5. Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes until very lightly browned on the edges, and still appearing soft in the centers. My cookies took 14 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the baking sheets. The cookies' flavor is best on day 2. Cookies remain fresh and soft stored in an airtight container for 10 days.
  6. Make ahead tip: Cookies freeze well up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.

1. Instead of the pumpkin pie spice, you may use 1/4 teaspoon each: ground cloves, ground nutmeg, ground allspice.
  2. *IMPORTANT: This recipe is tested with Libby's pumpkin puree, which is much less "watery" than other brands (such as Trader Joe's). More water in your pumpkin = cakey cookies. If you think your pumpkin puree is too moist, add a paper bowl to a bowl. Top with 3/4 cup pumpkin puree. Top with another paper towel and "blot" the pumpkin to remove some moisture.
  3. Use 1 and 1/2 cups total add-ins. For example, 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, 1/2 cup of pecans, 1/2 cup of dried cranberries. Enjoy!

Looking for a healthier pumpkin oatmeal cookie?

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal Cookies

195 Responses to “Favorite Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies.”

Joyposted October 26, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Made these today – yummy! agree with previous post I taste more molasses then pumpkin but still delish. Mine are cakey though and not chewy.

Kalaposted October 27, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Hi, My cookies took on the color of molasses and were much darker than yours in the photos, which looked pumpkin colored. I used 1/4 cup organic dark molasses from whole foods and I used Libby’s pumpkin. Any thoughts?

• Mollyreplied on October 18th, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Mine did too! And taste really heavily of molasses :(

Jess Kinghornposted November 2, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Sally – These are unbelievable. And, I used a new prepared pumpkin brand – Farmers Market Organic. It is head-and-shoulders above other canned/boxed pumpkin I’ve used-so fresh and not overprocessed. Highly recommend!

I cut the sugar in half and used cranberries as my only add-in, but so many other add-ins could work.

Thank you for this great recipe.

Mrs Laurie J Millerposted November 11, 2014 at 11:30 pm

I just made the most delicious, lower calorie MISTAKE COOKIES! I’ve made mistakes with recipes before, but the result tasted like a mistake. Not these! I accidentally left out the 2 sticks of butter, oops! I doubled the spices because I’m a nut for spicy goodies. The resultant cookies were delicious, moist, and wonderfully chewy, and a big hit with even the squash haters in the family — even those who hate pumpkin pie! Yes, I know, how could anyone hate pumpkin pie, but those poor deluded souls do exist. Frankly, I’m trying to imagine what the cookies would have been like WITH the butter. Hmmm, I don’t know how they could be better, because they are perfect just as they are! Thank you for this excellent accident! I hope there will be some healthy snackers who will enjoy my lower calorie version that came about by mistake. (-:

Trixie in CTposted November 18, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Hi Sally!

Can we talk about these cookies for a paragraph or so?

I made your healthy version of these last week for some friends who have to watch their sugar and fat intake…. rave reviews all around and they were so delicious I thought they couldn’t be beat but then I thought I’d try the full monty version and I am here to tell you that these are my favorite cookies out of all your terrific recipes I’ve tried! Run-on sentence aside…..

I just inhaled a half dozen straight from the oven so I haven’t experienced the luxury of having the pumpkin flavor intensify yet, so if any cookies survive til tomorrow I’ll be sure to taste the pumpkin more. I was a bit stingy in scooping up the dough (about 1 tablespoon) so I got about 50 good-sized cookies out of this recipe, enough to share with my buddies. Super delicious with enough spice, sweet and butter to make a perfect cookie.

I am loving all of your pumpkin recipes and have made an embarrassing assortment of them this last week, with of course your stellar Iced Streusel Pumpkin Coffee Cake as the star of the show. You are a Pumpkin Pixie!

With much appreciation, your fan in CT….Trixie

Shelbyposted November 24, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I’m wondering if you think these can be made into bars?

• Sallyreplied on November 24th, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Absolutely– I fear a 9×13 baking pan may be too big. How about you just see what size it best fits into. Maybe a 9-inch square baking pan is best. I’m unsure of the bake time.

Jaclynposted December 29, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Sally, these are the most delicious, addictive cookies I have ever tasted. My new favorite for forever! My add-ins are half cranberries, half cinnamon chips (which really give them a nice Christmas flavor). I brought some to work on Christmas Eve, and all of my co-workers were gushing about them, asking for the recipe. Thank you!

Codyposted January 24, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Hey, I’m a dude too that’s makin’ your cookies! Working with what’s on hand- addingRaisin, date, and Walnut oatmeal packets and vanilla-almond granola clusters.

kat McD.posted January 28, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Made these amazing cookies. Actually forgot to put in the oatmeal and they still came out delish! Next time I’ll make two batches, one with and one without.. Can’t hurt to have extra cookies. Thanks for sharing!

Kristinaposted August 3, 2015 at 3:00 pm

I was craving something pumpkin-y today so I made these. They really hit the spot. SO good and the perfect size! I own all 3 of the OXO cookie scoop sizes but rarely use the large scoop. I might have to re-think that. Thanks, I can always count on your recipes. Good luck with your new cookbook.

Leahposted August 31, 2015 at 7:52 am

My stepson and I love to spend time baking together.  So when we were craving pumpkin chocolate chip cookies over the weekend, we decided to go old school and look for a recipe that did not use a cake mix. (I’m a busy working  Mom with four kids, so semi-homemade is often a reality of our life)  Last night, I made these cookies with my 12 yr old stepson and my 4 yr old son. With a little guidance, the boys were able to make this recipe without too much intervention from me. We used a regular spoon to drop our cookies and they were PERFECT! The ingredients and directions are SPOT ON! I have tried many recipes from blogs and this is the first time our final product looked exactly like the pictures! This was a wonderful bonus for my stepson who felt really proud of himself when our cookies looked just the the pictures, and tasted delicious too! We look forward to trying more of you recipes!

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2015 at 8:50 am

Wonderful– so glad to hear it Leah! What a special night to send with them both.

Michaelaposted September 26, 2015 at 10:44 am

Hi Sally, I did these cookies with white chocolate and cranberry last week and I already loved their smell! I just add half of the butter indicated.. They are so soft, tasty and true, I think I became addicted :) I think those are one of the best cookies ever! Congratulations and thank you for the recipe! :)

Christinaposted September 28, 2015 at 3:43 am

Congratulations for the recipe! Your cookies are very delicious

Lauraposted October 14, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Made these today..added chocolate hips and pumpkin seeds. Great recipe!!!! A keeper.

Coraposted October 20, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Hi Sally! I am a freshman in high school and brought these cookies to class today, they were a hit! Definitely the best I have ever had! Thank you for your amazing recipes! xoxoxo

Tinaposted October 22, 2015 at 3:29 pm

I love these cookies, my top 3 favorite cookie. My only question is how many calories are there approximately in one cookie? Thanks so much!

Joshposted October 22, 2015 at 6:49 pm

This is a wonderful recipe.  This plate of cookies will make working into the night much easier.  You have my thanks.

Anneposted October 22, 2015 at 8:08 pm

You are right. These cookies are amazing even my super picky daughter who “hates” oatmeal cookies likes these. Added to my favorites.

Pattiposted October 26, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I made these yesterday and frankly they are cake like to me. perhaps it was the Trader Joe’s pumpkin purée.

Joyposted October 28, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Hi Sally! I was wondering, can this recipe be halved? Also, I only have sweet cream butter on hand. Will this work? Thank you! Last year I tried your pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, can’t wait to try these ones!

• Sallyreplied on October 29th, 2015 at 11:18 am

It can be halved, but it might be a little tricky halving the egg yolk. How about making them all and freezing the extras?

Melissaposted November 1, 2015 at 4:41 pm

These cookies were amazing! They have great flavor and texture. I used 1/4 cup maple syrup in place of the molasses. Thanks for the recipe :)

Bethposted November 21, 2015 at 5:56 pm

These look good! I was wondering if I could use coconut oil instead of butter? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on November 22nd, 2015 at 8:18 am

Use butter– coconut oil isn’t too great in these cookies. I’ve tried!