Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes.

Made with Greek yogurt, oats, whole wheat flour, and not much else. Simple, wholesome, and satisfying.

Healthy Whole Wheat Pancakes - that actually taste good. Made with Greek yogurt, oats, whole wheat flour, and not much else. sallysbakingaddiction.com

I’ve never met a pancake that I didn’t like.

Correction. I’ve never met a fluffy buttermilk pancake that I didn’t like. I have, however, met several flimsy-dense-flavorless-whole-wheat pancakes in my life. And they’re quite a disappointment to say the least.

Healthy whole wheat pancakes are difficult to master because pancakes are meant to be light, soft, and fluffy. All things that whole wheat flour isn’t. However, finding the right balance of ingredients to make your pancakes whole-grain AND fluffy isn’t impossible. It just took me a few (um, several) tries.

Let’s just say I spent my entire Sunday morning pancake-ing and currently have a freezer full of whole wheat pancakes. Who wants to come over for breakfast? Pancakes are the only thing on the menu.

Anyway. This is a recipe you’re going to want to hold onto. It joins my basic vanilla cupcake, basic chocolate chip cookie, and homemade cinnamon rolls in my “go-to” recipe archive. These whole wheat pancakes are an easy starting point to let your mind go wild. Plain whole wheat pancakes topped with sliced almonds. Or whole wheat chocolate chip pancakes:

The chocolate chip version of this recipe is our favorite. (duh) Though I can never say no to a classic, maple-syrup drenched plain ole whole wheat pancake.

Making these pancakes is actually really simple. There’s no crazy ingredients you’ve never heard of. Nothing requiring you to spend $15 on a crazy sugar substitute you can’t pronounce. Just plain everyday ingredients like whole wheat flour, egg, quick oats, milk, and yogurt. The pancake batter is flavored with cinnamon and vanilla extract and is very lightly sweetened with brown sugar. Only 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar for the entire recipe. Not too shabby, right?

Don’t leave out the brown sugar; your pancakes will not be good.

Let’s just discuss how thick these guys are. You have the baking powder to thank. Not too much baking powder so that your pancakes taste like chemicals, but just enough to give them a little lift. Ok, a lot of lift. And I’m lovin’ it!

The addition of quick oats adds fiber to your pancakes, as well as gives them a hearty, satisfying texture. The oats bulk up the batter without adding any unnecessary sugar or fat. You know when you mix oats with water/milk, they bulk right up? The same goes with this pancake batter. I always add a touch of oats to my batters. Oh and don’t worry, these pancakes won’t taste oat-y.

Greek yogurt adds a slight protein punch to the batter. It also keeps things on the lower fat side. I love using Greek yogurt in my healthier recipes; it’s like a softness inducing miracle ingredient. Yogurt also brings so much moisture to the resulting pancake. Dry, tough pancakes have no place in my kitchen.

I’d rather eat broccoli for breakfast than a dry-tasting pancake.

How to make healthy whole wheat pancakes

I really need a pancake griddle. Also, do you like my shoes?

While these whole wheat oatmeal pancakes aren’t nearly as fluffy as my favorite buttermilk pancakes (you’ll find that recipe in my cookbook), they’re still incredibly soft. Just as pancakes should be. Tall stacks of soft, syrup-drenched pancakes. Heaven.

Two very important notes: make sure your griddle is HOT before adding the pancake batter. Also, spray your pan or griddle between each pancake or batch of pancakes. Ok, let’s recap.

These whole wheat oatmeal pancakes are:

• Soft
  • Thick
  • Healthy
  • Whole-grain
  • Moist
  • Really, really good

These whole wheat pancakes are not:

• Made with weird ingredients
  • Boring
  • Flavorless
  • Diet-busting
  • Dry as cardboard
  • Hard as bricks

Just making sure we’re clear here.

I just had dinner, but I’m ready to face plant into that giant chocolate chip stack. ↑

*Any slight changes you make to this recipe will yield a different result; I suggest making the pancakes exactly as written or using the alternatives given.

Healthy Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Made with Greek yogurt, oats, whole wheat flour, and not much else. Recipe may be doubled for a large family.

Yield: 7-8 pancakes

• 1 cup (123g) whole wheat flour (or white whole-wheat) (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 cup (40g) quick oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 large egg (or 2 egg whites)
  • 1 cup (240ml) milk*
  • 2 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar (or light brown)
  • 1/4 cup (63g) Greek yogurt*
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup add-ins like chocolate chips or fruit, optional

Toss the flour, oats, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Set aside. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg and milk together. Whisk in the brown sugar and yogurt until no lumps remain. Whisk in the vanilla until combined.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Stir gently until just combined. Do not overmix the batter or your pancakes will be tough and very dense. Add any mix-ins you prefer, but again - do not overmix the batter.

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Coat generously with cooking spray, oil, or butter.  Once hot, drop about 1/4 cup of batter on the griddle. Cook until the edges look dry and bubbles begin to form on the center or sides, about 1 minute. Flip and cook on the other side until cooked through, about 2 more minutes. Coat griddle/skillet again with nonstick spray for each pancake or batch of pancakes.

Keep pancakes warm in a preheated 200F degree oven until all pancakes are cooked. Serve immediately. Pancakes taste best right after they are made. Pancakes freeze well, up to 2 months.

*Recipe tested with both skim and vanilla almond milks. Soy milk, 1%, 2%, buttermilk, or rice milk are OK.

*Recipe tested with plain 0% Greek yogurt. Regular yogurt, any milk fat and your choice of flavor, is OK.

A few more wholesome ways I like to start my day…

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Breakfast Cookies

Breakfast Cookies

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Q: What do you like on your pancakes?

354 Responses to “Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes.”

Maryposted February 13, 2015 at 5:06 am

These are the best pancakes I have ever had and I am never making any other kind again! I used whole grain flower and mashed up banana and added chopped pecans. I only had Greek Covonut yogurt so used this and it just made it even better! Used coconut oil and had maple syrup on one and fig and pear preserve on the other. My 3 1/2 year old started sinkng the Muppets “Manama” song while doing the happy food dance when he started eating them. In the words of my husband “Babe, you have just taken pancakes to a WHOLE other level”. Our son says “Mom these are DELICIOUS!” Thank you for these!!’

Brennaposted February 14, 2015 at 9:37 am

Okay… So on a serious note, these pancakes lived up to my every expectation! I am constantly trying out pancake recipes that are both delicious AND healthy, and this recipe hit the nail on the head! I ended up substituting two tablespoons of honey for the brown sugar and they came out great! I’m not a syrup fan but I love to top mine off with a dollop of yogurt and blueberries, thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Shawnaposted February 15, 2015 at 9:01 am

These look amazing. I really want to try the today but I don’t have any yogurt. What can I substitute for the yogurt?

• Sallyreplied on February 15th, 2015 at 10:19 am

Sour cream or buttermilk would be OK.

Aleenaposted February 16, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Hello i was wondering if i could make this with gluten free flour or rice flour ?

Samantha Hessposted February 18, 2015 at 11:07 am

This recipe was so popular on Pinterest we just had to try it for ourselves! So glad we did! This pancakes turned out incredible!

Gemma Jonesposted February 21, 2015 at 9:13 am

I’ve just made these pancakes and they were amazing. I used honey instead of sugar and skimmed milk. It was so nice to have a hearty and healthy lunch! I also cooked your recipe for pretzel chicken bites with the kids last night and they were delicious. Thank you!

Mayuri Patelposted February 28, 2015 at 12:43 am

Sally, thank you for such a wonderful recipe. I just made these for breakfast for my family and they loved the pancakes. At first was a bit apprehensive as wheat flour pancakes tend to be dense. These were ever so soft and crispy on the outside. I added pomegranate and chia seeds. Served it with a choice of honey or Nutella.

Shannonposted March 1, 2015 at 11:12 am

Brilliant. Making them for my 11 month old. Yummmmm

Abbyposted March 6, 2015 at 11:26 am

I just made these an hour ago. Hands down best pancakes I’ve ever gotten from my own kitchen! I’m definitely bookmarking this recipe. Thank you!!

Sharifaposted March 7, 2015 at 9:04 am

Hi! I was wondering if I could take out the brown sugar? Or maybe substitute it w/something else? Btw, I made these the other day and they were amazing!! Thank you Sally!

• Sallyreplied on March 7th, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Sharifa, like I mention I do not recommend leaving it out. You could try honey, maple syrup, or agave instead but I have never tasted them that way.

Jessicaposted March 9, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Made these tonight, we had no sugar so i used honey. They were AMAZING! My kids loved them!

Christinaposted March 10, 2015 at 11:20 am

These are so delicious! I’ve been looking for a healthier, more protein packed pancake and this recipe is it. I don’t feel guilty when eating them and they sre so good! Will definitely make again.

Brennaposted March 11, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Really good! Perfect way to satisfy a pancake craving, but on a healthy basis.
    My changes:. Because all I had on hand was rolled oats, (and I wasn’t sure how it would turn out with those) I used one and a half packages of instant oatmeal. And because there would be sugar from the oatmeal, I omitted the brown sugar. And they turned out great!
    I think this opens up a lot of doors to more creativity within the pancake too. That is, flavor wise. I used Maple Brown Sugar, but I bet a lot of other flavors would be great too (next time I’m thinking Apple & Cinnamon:) I also added blueberries. Yum! Thanks for the recipe.

Aleeshaposted March 21, 2015 at 11:00 am

I am not one to complain about a recipe, but these pancakes were… TOTALLY KIDDING. Nothing to complain about here. These were the most delicious pancakes I have made in a long while (that’s saying a lot considering I make pancakes at least once a week!). My husband requested it be added to my recipe book which holds a distinct honor in our household. Thanks for another AWESOME recipe!

• Sallyreplied on March 21st, 2015 at 11:18 am

Thanks for reporting back Aleesha!

Lindseyposted April 2, 2015 at 9:39 am

Is there a way to use this batter for waffles?

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2015 at 11:59 am

That would be fine.

susan helfgottposted April 5, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Can’t wait to try these- a little confused- is it OK to use vanilla almond milk and
    0% greek yogurt? Thanks!

Christopher Mollerposted April 9, 2015 at 11:33 am

I really like this pancake recipe, but I have one question. How many calories is 1/4 of the pancake batter as is, with out any additions?
    Thank you for reading this messsage.

Kristenposted April 19, 2015 at 2:50 pm

These were just marvelous!! I usually have a terrible time with pancakes, but these were thick, hearty and oh-so-fluffy. I added blueberries and strawberries, and used egg replacer instead of eggs, and I may never go out for pancakes again!

Stephanieposted April 25, 2015 at 9:11 am

I have made these twice this week. My husband said they are the best pancakes he’s ever had. They are so delicious with home made jam and honey. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Jacklynposted May 7, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I’ve made these three times and LOVE THEM! So hard to believe they’re whole wheat. My favourite add-ins are chocolate chips and orange zest. They also freeze really well. Thanks Sally!!

Madisonposted May 9, 2015 at 7:40 am

Just made these and they are so so good! Been waiting to make them for ages. They were surprisingly very filling. Will definitely be making them again (tomorrow!)

Beckyposted May 10, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Hi Sally! Can this recipe be used for waffles as well?

• Sallyreplied on May 11th, 2015 at 8:06 am

Jeane' Ridgesposted May 11, 2015 at 10:48 am

Could I use old fashion oats?

• Sarahreplied on May 31st, 2015 at 8:46 am

I did without realizing it, and they turned out great!

Almaposted May 15, 2015 at 5:00 am

Hi, I LOVE your blog!! I would like to prepare them tomorrow morning, bit I have not oatmeal left. Can I use more flour insted??  or for the fiber, maybe add some chia seeds…

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2015 at 5:20 pm

I suggest using 1/3 cup (not 1/2 cup) of flour instead.

Raeposted May 16, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Do you have the nutrition information for these? They look super tasty!!

Alexisposted May 17, 2015 at 6:21 pm

My God! Just used this recipe with blueberries and bananas! My boyfriend are them all!!! Thanks so much

Susanneposted May 21, 2015 at 8:40 am

Love this recipe. I stored the batter and made a pancake the next day. I think they were even better the next day, they were much fluffier, I’m assuming because the Oats had more time to soak!

Sarahposted May 31, 2015 at 8:45 am

Just made these for my toddler and I for breakfast. We very much enjoyed them. I added fresh bluberries, and might try the chocolate chips next time.

Joyposted June 11, 2015 at 11:12 pm

I’m really excited to try this! I was wondering if I can replace the quick oats with rolled oats?

• Sallyreplied on June 12th, 2015 at 11:19 am

I always prefer quick oats here because their finer, more powdery texture bulks up the batter. This results in thicker pancakes. You can try whole oats, but again– quick is best!

Tabathaposted June 19, 2015 at 11:21 am

Made these this morning and my super picky kids gobbled them right up. Unbelievable! Thanks so much!

Sarahposted June 26, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I love these pancakes, have made them about 5 times now and they are delicious with out fail! They keep me full for much longer than regular pancakes. I added some protein powder to mine this morning and they were just as good. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Danaposted July 7, 2015 at 11:46 am

Hi Sally, I love this pancake recipe!
    One question, my family doesn’t have brown sugar but we have coconut sugar. Would that still work?

• Sallyreplied on July 7th, 2015 at 3:48 pm

I’m sure it would, but I’ve never tried it. Let me know how you like it.

Brittanyposted July 12, 2015 at 8:37 am

amazing pancakes

Kelli Wposted July 29, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I recently made the chocolate chip version of these pancakes over on my blog and they were delicious! So far every recipe I’ve tried of yours has been fabulous – thanks for sharing!!

C. Hauserposted July 29, 2015 at 7:08 pm

I picked the blueberries yesterday at a nearby farm. Used 2T agave nectar plus 1/2 packet of Stevia for the brown sugar. (No maple syrup for me) I had a little batter left over, will use raspberries from my yard. I have so many ideas for this batter.  Yummy!!!

Hannah Marieposted July 30, 2015 at 6:51 am

just made these for the first time! Delicious and so filling – I don’t suppose you know how many calories is in one pancake?

• Bethreplied on August 8th, 2015 at 3:07 am

Really wanna know this too! Or just the whole batter calorie count would be great and probably easier to know as pancake size could differ?

Jenposted August 4, 2015 at 8:47 am

I make these with whole milk and full fat Greek yogurt for my kids. They love them. I also use infant oatmeal cereal left over from my daughter. They probably come out a bit more dense, but my kids love them. And my husband likes them too, which is saying a lot. Thanks for the recipe!

Kristen Rolandposted August 7, 2015 at 11:02 am

My son has IBD and keeps begging for pancakes. I gave him your recipe (he’s 13) and told him if he’s going to eat pancakes or waffles, I want to know they’re worth eating. He made them without any trouble at all, and they were delicious! I’ve never been able to get my family to eat whole grain pancakes, but today that’s finally changed. Thanks so much for all the hard work and determination that went into this recipe!

Bethposted August 8, 2015 at 3:06 am

Firstly – oh my goodness, I made these last week they were amazing! I think I did half wholemeal flour and half white, or like 60/40. I also used almond milk and symbio low fat probiotic unsweetened plain yoghurt, just wondering how many calories the batter would be with these ingredients? Someone in the comments said 186 calories for half the mixture using whole milk but i’m assuming with my ingredients it should be even less??
    Please reply if you can get a moment! :)

Shaniposted August 14, 2015 at 12:57 pm

I made these pancakes for the first time using almond milk and wholemeal flour.  I used the chocolate chip mixture, it was absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will be continuing to make them in the future.

Kellyposted August 19, 2015 at 11:48 pm

How would you break this down (up?) t9 make on bulk?! Have you tried? With just the dry mix I mean….

Thank you!

Ritaposted August 25, 2015 at 10:27 am

I made these into waffles. They turned out soft and fluffy, as I imagine the pancakes would, so we popped them in the toaster oven and they were perfectly crispy on the outside and tender inside. They are DELICIOUS!  My 16 year old daughter has been eating them every morning for a week. Thanks for a great, wholesome recipe. I’ll be trying some more of your recipes soon. :)

Rosieposted August 26, 2015 at 8:03 pm

What could I substitute for the yoghurt as  I dont eat yoghurt

Karenposted August 29, 2015 at 11:21 am

Delicious! Definitely my best pancakes yet! I did not quick oat so I ground slow cook oats and instead of adding to the flour mixture added them to milk mixture and let them sit for 5-10 to soften. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Jessica Tposted September 9, 2015 at 7:43 am

This is a great recipe! Made for my 14 mo old twins and they loved! Used real oats, just ground them in food processor, used baby yo yogurt since thats all I had, they came out very tasty!

Ericaposted September 20, 2015 at 11:34 am

Delicious pancakes, thanks for the recipe! I added 2 TB hemp hearts to pump up the protein and blueberries and they turned out great. Definitely my favorite pancake recipe!!

Catarinaposted September 23, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Hello from Portugal!
    These are one of the best pancakes I ever made! I’m usually not very good at making pancakes but these just turned out perfect! I made them with only 1tbsp brown sugar and next time I will try with none because they are just tasty enough. Really really good topped with yogurt!

Sarahposted September 28, 2015 at 11:10 am

I would love to have these for dinner but don’t get home til 8pm most nights, and would like to skip making the batter that late.  If I made a big batch of batter on weekends so I could just cook pancakes when I get home, how long do you think the batter would last in the fridge?  (I don’t want to make pancakes ahead of time and freeze, because I don’t have a microwave…apt living!)

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Hey Sarah. The batter must be cooked right away– the baking powder is activated once wet. (The pancakes would be flat and dense otherwise.)

1 3 4 5