Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Soft-baked red velvet chocolate chip cookie recipe made from scratch. Plus, a bonus recipe for red velvet cake mix crinkle cookies!

Sally's Baking Addiction Soft-baked Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies. Made from scratch!

Welcome back to Sally’s Cookie Palooza! Today’s recipe continues my love affair with red velvet desserts.

Sally's Christmas Cookie Palooza

While I’ve made two kinds of red velvet brownies before, I’ve never attempted a red velvet cookie before. I was never a huge fan of red velvet (is it chocolate? is it vanilla?) until I had a super-moist slice of red velvet wedding cake a few years ago. Well, my friends, the more I play around with this divine flavor – the more I am hooked.

Red velvet cake meets a soft-baked chocolate chip cookie today. A blissful marriage of two classic desserts!

I am stoked to tell you that… (I just said stoked)… this cookie recipe only took me one try to get right. Usually it takes me at least 3 tries and sometimes even 11 months to perfect a recipe. You learn through mistakes, right? All I did was play around with my go-to chocolate cookie dough and transformed it into a red velvet cookie dough.

There’s a little bit of cocoa powder, flour, egg, milk, vanilla, brown sugar, and regular sugar. Typical chocolate cookie ingredients. However, I reduced the cocoa powder and replaced it with flour. I added a touch of milk to bring moisture to the dough, as well as used more brown sugar than white sugar. I also slightly increased the vanilla extract so the vanilla flavor is as prominent as the chocolate flavor. The chocolate chips make the cookies even chocolate-ier.

Is chocolate-ier a word? Today it is.

The cookie dough needs to chill for at least 1 hour. Trust me on this. The cookie dough is much too sticky to bake right after mixing. Do you want thick cookies that don’t spread all over your cookie sheet? Chill your cookie dough. There is no shortcut. You can’t use a freezer, you can’t chill for less time. Tightly cover the cookie dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

Once chilled, roll the cookie dough into balls. Make sure there aren’t a lot of chocolate chips right on top of your cookie dough balls. You’ll need to press the cookies down slightly after baking and you don’t want a chocolate mess everywhere. Here is what my cookie dough balls looked like before going into the oven:

How to make Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies from scratch. Easy recipe at

The cookies will slightly spread in the oven. Mine sort of looked like cookie mounds after 10-11 minutes. So, I simply pressed them down with my fingers (or you can use a spoon) so they became a bit flatter and had crinkle tops. Then, after I pressed them down slightly, I stuck a few chocolate chips into the tops of each. The chocolate chips melted down into the warm cookie. Let the cookies cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

The best part is that you have complete control over how red you want your cookies. I added about 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of red food coloring to my cookie dough. If you want less, add less – if you want more, add more!

If you’re not a fan of food coloring, leave it out. Again, you have all the control over it!

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies from scratch. Easy recipe at

So this recipe sounds pretty easy, right? It is! Just your basic chocolate cookie recipe with a bit less cocoa, a bit more flour, some vanilla, and a sprinkling of chocolate chips. A quick cookie dough chill and boom! You’ll have red velvet cookies from scratch in only 90 minutes.

I made today’s red velvet cookies for a Christmas party I’m going to tonight with my friend Erin. Erin said she made my cookie dough pretzel bites to bring. We have a delicious night ahead of us.

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies

Prep Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes (includes chilling)

Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes

Soft-baked red velvet chocolate chip cookie recipe made from scratch. Plus, a bonus recipe for red velvet cake mix crinkle cookies below! This cookie dough must chill for at least 1 hour.

18 cookies

• 1 and 1/2 cups + 1 Tablespoon (198g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1/4 cup (21g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature.
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar (or dark brown)
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 egg, at room temperature*
  • 1 Tablespoon (15ml) milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1.5 Tablespoons red food coloring (liquid, gel, or 2 tsp beet powder alternative)*
  • 1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips (plus a few extra for after baking)

Toss the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.

Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed. Switch the mixer to medium speed and beat in the brown sugar and granulated sugar until combined. Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Once mixed, add the food coloring and beat until combined. Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a very soft dough is formed. Beat in more food coloring if you'd like the dough to be redder. On low speed, beat in the chocolate chips. The dough will be sticky.

Cover the dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour (and up to 4-5 days-- make sure you let the cookie dough sit out at room temperature for about 45 minutes before baking if chilling for more than 1 day.). Chilling is mandatory.

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.

Scoop 1.5 Tablespoons of dough and mold into a ball, as pictured above. Place 9 balls onto each baking sheet. Bake each batch for 10-11 minutes. The cookies may have only spread slightly, that is ok. Simply press down on the warm cookies to slightly flatten and form crinkles. Stick a few chocolate chips into the tops of the warm cookies (as explained in the post) - that's optional and only for looks.

Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days. Cookies may be frozen for up to 2 months. Cookie dough may be frozen up to 2 months - thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Cookie dough balls may be frozen up to 2 months. Bake for 1-2 extra minutes (do not thaw).

*Room temperature egg is preferred. To bring egg to room temperature quickly, simply place in a cup of warm water for 5 minutes. I usually set out my egg when I set out my butter to soften about 1 hour before beginning.

*Update September 2014: I've successfully made these cookies using beet powder instead of red food coloring - this is a wonderful natural alternative to food coloring. Use 2 teaspoons for a slight red color to your cookies.

Bonus Recipe

Want to make today’s cookies in 30 minutes or less? Simply follow my recipe for Strawberry Chocolate Chip Cookies and…

• Replace the strawberry cake mix with red velvet cake mix.
  • Use white chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet chocolate chip, if you’d like.
  • Once the cookies are baked, sprinkle with powdered sugar while they are still warm.

Red Velvet Cake Mix Crinkle Cookies. Easy recipe at

If you want red velvet crinkle cookies from scratch, roll today’s homemade red velvet cookie recipe into balls – as directed in step 3. Then, roll each ball into powdered sugar before baking and bake the cookies as directed in today’s recipe. Use white chocolate or regular chocolate chips. Enjoy!

See all Sally’s Cookie Palooza recipes.

Soft-baked red velvet chocolate chip cookie recipe made from scratch! Recipe at

348 Responses to “Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Annaposted April 5, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Hi, Sally.
    I had such a success with your chocolate chip cookies recipe that I could not wait to try this red velvet one but my cookies turned out to be flat and ugly! And they are a little too sugary and not red velvet enough!!
    I guess since I only used 1 Tbsp of red food coloring, they just looked plain dark brown, but other than that, I followed all of the steps correctly.
    I chilled my dough overnight and rolled it into balls right after I took it out of fridge since when I leave my dough out for a while, it tends to get too sticky. And I tried both ways for the other recipe and there wasn’t much of difference taste-wise or on the looks.
    I don’t know what I did wrong and I’m upset about the result :(
    Can you please help? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on April 6th, 2015 at 8:48 am

Anna, did you alter anything in the recipe at all? Did you soften the butter or melt it at all to get it softened? If you changed absolutely nothing about the recipe, you can try adding another Tbsp or two of flour. You can add more food coloring and, if you’d like, reduce the sugar– though that will likely have an effect on the texture.

• Annareplied on April 6th, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Thank you Sally!!
        I left my butter out for 30 min and it was soft enough when I pressed it.
        I will try to add more flour perhaps!
        I will get back to you with hopefully a good news soon!
        Thanks again!

Tikkyposted April 11, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Hi Sally!
    I have tried this recipe, the taste is great, but the color is not red as I wish and it’s shape is flat. Is the type of cocoa powder matter? I use dutch process cocoa powder, do I have to use natural cocoa powder instead?

Vsenposted April 12, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Made these! It was a hit among kids & adults! Wanted to make them crispy so used granulated sugar instead of brown sugar.

Noyposted April 29, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Hi Sally!
    I made this today and its amazingly delicious! NOT even mentioned that this is my first time attempting to bake cookie! Thanks for sharing :)
    Thanks again.

Rose Chuposted June 4, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Hi Sally!
    Awesome recipe! But then again all your recipes are amazing and you make it so simple to follow with your step by step instructions, for all us novice bakers!lol.
    I had a couple of questions regarding this recipe, I froze the cookie dough and to bake, do I need to thaw out in the fridge first or bake straight from the freezer?
    Also, is there any other alternative you can use instead of red food colouring…you mentioned beet powder in some other recipes?

Thanks and can’t wait for your new book!!

• Sallyreplied on June 5th, 2015 at 6:59 am

See recipe note for the beet powder. You do not need to thaw the cookie dough. I suggest rolling the cookie dough before freezing though.

Amanda Fposted June 6, 2015 at 3:57 pm

I made these the other day and just like a few others on here, the cookies turned out really flat. They also didn’t have much of a red velvet taste to them. I chilled the dough for two days in the fridge and after letting it sit out for 45 minutes, the dough became very sticky. After they came out of the oven there were no crinkles either. The cookies still turned out really chewy though–which I like. I followed the recipe exactly. I’m wondering what I did wrong? How can I fix this? Any suggestions??

Lillyposted June 16, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Without a doubt, these have quickly become my favourite cookies! I’ve loved reading your blog and using your recipes ever since you published your Wholewheat Pancakes. It encouraged me to start my own blog – I’m still in the *very* early stages but if anyone would be able to have a look, it would mean a lot to me!

Sophiaposted July 3, 2015 at 2:28 pm

So I am making these cookies today and didn’t realize that it said up to four days. I have to make them today, will that make a difference if I just let it chill and then bake them today?

Schaposted July 13, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Hi Sally! I had the same issues as some readers as well; the flattening of the dough after baking. It was a very sticky batter & I chilled for 2 hours. The cookie spread really fast and I was wondering why. I added (eye balled) about 2-3 more tablespoons heapfull of flour and they finally turned out like yours. Great tasting recipe nonetheless! Thank you for sharing!

Lucy @ Globe Scoffersposted July 14, 2015 at 3:50 pm

I can’t wait to try baking these cookies, they look a real show stopper.

Maryposted July 29, 2015 at 9:24 am

The ingredients list is missing the egg. Took me for a surprise when the directions said “beat in egg”.

• Maryreplied on July 29th, 2015 at 9:26 am

woops mistook egg at room temp for butter. my apologies!

Julie Mozenaposted August 19, 2015 at 2:16 am

i found these on Pinterest. Never have I had a cookie recipe work as well as this one. They turned out exactly as they appear in the photos. And they are DELICIOUS! And the texture turned out perfectly. These will be my new go-to cookies. THANK YOU for the excellent recipe and easy to follow directions!!

Katieposted August 29, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Would it be okay if I used salted butter and just not add salt to the mix?

Anna Sposted September 17, 2015 at 6:29 am

Hi Sally!

I want to be able to make these cookies so bad but I’ve tried 3 times now. On all 3 occasions my cookies come out the oven very very thin and flat even though I roll the balls as instructed. I follow all the instructions , they just never come out thick and gooey inside but instead thin. Can you help please?

• Sallyreplied on September 18th, 2015 at 12:49 pm

Hi Anna! Did you alter anything in the recipe at all? Did you soften the butter or melt it at all to get it softened? If you changed absolutely nothing about the recipe, you can try adding another 2-3 Tbsp of flour to help reduce spread.

Lauren Tposted October 3, 2015 at 8:14 pm

I loved this recipe! It turned out great and I loved how moist they were! A huge hit among my friends and family members! :)

Carolposted October 6, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Can the recipe be doubled?

Jennyposted October 20, 2015 at 8:07 am

I tried the recipe today but it didn’t turn out as in the pictures. The dough was too sticky to roll into balls. I added more flour but it was still sticky… Also, it was not red although I used ALL the red coloring bottle. Any suggestions?! Thanks!!

Heleneposted October 27, 2015 at 8:21 pm

These cookies were a hit at my work and home!. I didn’t chill them for long and used s cookie dough scoop and got 2 dozen cookies from this recipe. I will definitely make it again!

Jeanposted November 5, 2015 at 6:01 pm

This recipe is spot-on. They taste EXACTLY how I imagined they would, maybe even better. I was nervous to try them out because of how inconsistent each commenter’s results were, but I’m so glad that I did. I chilled them for one hour and softened my butter in the microwave. I also made the cookies smaller than suggested, so I had more. Thanks so much for posting. This is my new favorite cookie recipe!

Norazeaposted November 7, 2015 at 7:32 am

Hello Sally! I love your blog!I made some of your cookies recipes and it turned out great! I was wondering, can I use salted butter and not add any salt in the batter? cause that is what i have at home now 😀 I would like to know your thoughts about it 😀 The other time I used unsalted butter.. so i would like to know if it works using salted butter 😀

Sherylposted November 9, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Can the dough be frozen!

Lauraposted November 12, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Hey Sally! You hit this one out the park. I baked these last night for my coworkers and everyone went crazy over them. There’s something special about red-velvet and it’s always been my favorite.

I chilled my dough for 2 hours and then I used my medium sized cookie scoop to bake them. I also didn’t press them down (only because I forgot!) yet they turned out perfect with that slightly chewy but cake-like texture. This one is going in my repertoire for sure! I am so excited about my holiday baking this year because of your recipes! I just started a food blog recently and still no clue what I’m doing or how to take decent pics, check it out if you ever have a min to kill. Great recipe!

1 3 4 5