Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies.

Super soft and chewy brown sugar cookies – no mixer required!

Chewy and super-soft Brown Sugar Cookie recipe by No mixer required!

Welcome to Day 8 of Sally’s Cookie Palooza!

Sally's Christmas Cookie Palooza

We took a quick break yesterday for some engagement photo excitement. Kevin and I are having a hard time choosing our favorites. Definitely getting the first one printed! A very huge thank you to our amazing photographer, Megan Beth. If you’re in the DC/Virginia/Baltimore area, definitely look into miss Megan. Words cannot describe this wedding photographer’s talent!

Let’s put the thoughts of wedding dress fittings aside for at least 5 more days. It’s the holidays. Tis the season for baking cookies. And more cookies. And more cookies. And I’m sure I’ll still be saying that on our wedding day. Oh well. You only live once!

Chewy and super-soft Brown Sugar Cookie recipe by No mixer required!

I like cookies with a lot going on. Chips of chocolate, swirls of peanut butter, butterscotch morsels, chunks of nuts, stuffed with caramel, and other delightful candies. Sprinkle cookies, chocolate chip cookies, frosted cookies – the more stuff going on, the better.

But not all the time.

Sometimes I prefer a pure, simple cookie. And ladies and gents, today’s recipe is just that. It’s full of one of my favorite flavors: brown sugar. Moist, molasses-spiked brown sugar in every single bite. Soft, chewy, and kissed with cinnamon. These simple brown sugar cookies are undeniably impressive.

They’re not at all “plain” – rather, today’s cookies are exploding with flavor.

Chewy and super-soft Brown Sugar Cookie recipe by No mixer required!

You’re going to recognize today’s cookie recipe. It’s a spin-off recipe of one of the most popular recipes on my blog. Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies have completely changed the way I make chocolate chip cookies. I used a few of the same ingredient ratios and recipe techniques in today’s brown sugar cookies.

Chewy and super-soft Brown Sugar Cookie recipe by No mixer required!

You’re going to start with some melted butter. Most of the cookies I make call for creaming softened butter with the sugars. However, sometimes I prefer to use melted butter instead of creaming it. Melted butter, when paired with the correct ratio of dry ingredients, increases the chewy factor in the baked cookie.

Since you are using melted butter, you don’t need a mixer for this cookie recipe!

You’re also going to use only brown sugar in this cookie recipe (except for the rolling… more on that below). 1 and 1/4 cups of dark brown sugar bring so much moisture to these baked cookies, as well as a modest molasses flavor. Light brown sugar may easily be substituted here! Please note your cookies will be lighter in color if using light brown sugar.

In the original chocolate chunk cookie from which this recipe is adapted, I call for 1 egg and 1 egg yolk. Today, you just need 1 egg. 1 egg and less flour than the original recipe. Don’t worry, these cookies are still just as chewy!

You’ll also add a touch of cinnamon to the cookie dough. The cinnamon is completely optional, but the pronounced brown sugar flavor paired with the slight kiss of cinnamon spice really takes these cookies to the next level!

Chewy and super-soft Brown Sugar Cookie recipe by No mixer required!

Look at how thick these cookies are. To achieve their thick texture, you must chill the cookie dough. Also, I make sure there is enough flour to soak up the melted butter. Melted butter is greasy and unless there is enough dry ingredients to soak it all up, you’re going to have some cookie spreading issues.

I also add a bit of cornstarch to the cookie dough. Cornstarch thickens cookie dough just as it thickens gravies, soups, and jams. It’s a miracle worker in cookie recipes!

Don’t you love the brown sugar cookies’ crinkled tops? That’s achieved by slightly pressing the cookies down. After chilling the cookie dough and rolling the dough in a bit of sugar, you’ll bake them. Now, pay attention to this: Remove the cookies from the oven after 8-9 minutes, gently press down on the tops with the back of a spoon or fork, and then place them back into the oven for 1-2 more minutes.

Why are you doing that? Not only so you can achieve some crinkly tops, but also because the cookies need a little help spreading during bake time. You could always just press the cookie tops down after the entire bake time, but then your cookies may just look like you carelessly smashed them down. I feel that they looked better when put back into the oven for 1-2 minutes after pressing down. I’m all about pretty cookies, ok?

Chewy and super-soft Brown Sugar Cookie recipe by No mixer required!

I have a confession. I baked these cookies for a Christmas party we’re going to tonight. Kevin’s work is throwing a little bash and clearly, I can’t go empty handed. PS: I’m bringing these mocha delights too. Always a hit.

However, I made these cookies two days ago. And guess what? They are STILL just as soft on day 3 as they were on day 1. And to be completely honest, their cinnamon and brown sugar flavors are heavily pronounced today. Yeah, I had one with my coffee this morning. Perfectly sweet accompaniment.

You know a cookie recipe is a winner when its softness isn’t compromised as the days go by. I just love that about this recipe! True “soft-batch” style, just like the cookies you get at bakeries and those tempting mall kiosks.

Side note: Kevin and I went to the Columbia mall last night and it took every inch of us to resist an Auntie Anne’s buttery soft pretzel. We were heading to dinner and a show, so clearly we didn’t a pretzel. But still. I love you Auntie Anne’s pretzels.

Chewy and super-soft Brown Sugar Cookie recipe by No mixer required!

So what’s not to love about today’s cookie recipe? There are so many wow factors! You have an abundance of brown sugar flavor, a white sugar sparkle on the outside, a chewy exterior, a kiss of cinnamon spice, and beautiful crinkles on top. Plus, they are soft, thick, and make one heck of a coffee companion. And tall-glass-of-milk-accompaniment. Ok, these cookies totally go with everything.

Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies

Yield: 20 cookies

Prep Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes (includes chilling)

Total Time: 2 hours, 22 minutes

Super soft and chewy brown sugar cookies - no mixer required!

• 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (use 1 teaspoon if you love cinnamon)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (250g) dark brown sugar (light brown is OK)
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar, for rolling

Toss together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

In a medium size bowl, whisk the melted butter and brown sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the egg. Finally, whisk in the vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The dough will be very soft, yet thick. Cover the dough and chill for 2 hours, or up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory.

Take the dough out of the refrigerator and allow to slightly soften at room temperature for 10 minutes if you had it chilling for more than 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.

Pour the granulated sugar into a bowl. Take 2 Tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball, then roll into the sugar. Bake for precisely 8-9 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently press the top of the cookie down with the back of a utensil or even use your fingers. You're trying to obtain a crinkly top. Place back into the oven for 1-2 more minutes. Cookies will be puffy and still appear very soft in the middle. That's ok. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for ten minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

*Room temperature egg is required for the cookies. General rule of thumb I use for my own cookie recipes: when using warm or room temperature butter, I always use room temperature egg as well. To bring egg to room temperature quickly, simply place in a cup of warm water for 5 minutes.

Brown sugar lovers unite!

Soft-Baked Brown Sugar Cookies |

Try my Caramel Molasses Cookies next!

Caramel Molasses Cookies |

See all of the cookie recipes so far in my cookie palooza!

216 Responses to “Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies.”

Laurieposted December 17, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Just finished making these they were so simple & delicious. I didn’t have any baking soda so I substituted for baking powder & it worked out fine, this recipe is a keeper

Cammieposted December 19, 2014 at 4:41 pm

I just died and went to heaven. And then I came back to finish this cookie. Seriously AMAZING. Mine spread a little more than yours (next time I will add a little more flour) and I let the dough chill for 36 hours. The flavor and texture are perfect! Thank you so much! I love the little bit of cinnamon in them.

Vishalaposted December 23, 2014 at 12:05 am

If I don’t have parchment paper or a silicon mat on hand, can I still bake these and get a decent result? Would I have to grease the cookie sheets or something?

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2014 at 8:18 am

Absolutely– is your pan nonstick? You can lightly grease the pan if not.

• Vishalareplied on December 24th, 2014 at 12:10 am

Cool. Thanks so much for your reply and for the recipe. Really looking forward to trying it out. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Andreaposted January 6, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Hey, Sally! I just wanted to let you know, I made these cookies with my kiddos on Christmas Eve for “Santa”, and they were AMAZING. The only thing I did differently was browned the butter before hand. Oh my goodness. These cookies tasted like straight up caramel with the browned butter! Holy deliciousness! I also frosted half of them with a brown sugar frosting, but they truly didn’t need it.

You always have the best recipes! If I ever need to bake something I ALWAYS check your site first. Your recipes are very reliable and help me crank out some A+ goods. Thanks for all you do, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Thanks Andrea! Santa certainly was spoiled at your house!

Anna S.posted January 16, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I made these last night and my husband really likes them! I had no regular sugar so I googled recipes that just use brown sugar and found your blog. Thanks for a great recipe! My husband was into them first thing this morning to eat with his coffee :)

Nikoposted January 16, 2015 at 5:08 pm

Hi Sally! I haven’t made your cookies yet, but from all the comments, they seem fantastic! i cant wait to try them out, however do they really need to be refrigerated for so long?
    I only ask because i would like to make them tomorrow morning, but i need to leave at 9:30 for archery. And (as i take a long time to bake, mainly because i eat half the dough) I would need to start cooking at 6.

• Sallyreplied on January 16th, 2015 at 6:19 pm

yes, the cookie dough must chill!

Nikoposted January 16, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Hi Sally! In a different recipe you mentioned how the cornstarch make everything very soft. Unfortunately the only thing i have is baking powder (and i’m not even sure if thats related to cornstarch) . Is it possible to not use it, and still have soft cookies?

• Sallyreplied on January 16th, 2015 at 6:18 pm

the two are not interchangeable, Niko– two completely different ingredients. you can leave the cornstarch out of this cookie dough if you have to.

Nikoposted January 18, 2015 at 6:12 am

Hi Sally!
    Was wondering if it’s possible to replace white sugar with brown? I don’t have any white at hand.

• Sallyreplied on January 18th, 2015 at 6:56 pm

For the coating, that should be fine.

Kitty Dposted January 29, 2015 at 11:16 am

Made these yesterday and they turned out great. They were simple and delicious. Thank you.

Lindsey@BakingBytesposted February 3, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Hello! Made these yesterday and they are delicious. However, after cooling my cookies are no longer thick and puffy but about 1/4″ tall. Any idea why they would’ve sank? Not a deal breaker because they are still soft and taste great but I am curious why mine aren’t as thick as yours. =)

Bittyposted February 11, 2015 at 11:19 pm

Sally, I landed on your website while on a hunt for some Valentine’s day goodies. You have another convert. The drool quotient of the pictures is way off the chart. One question. We only use whole wheat flour. What is the substitution ratio in your cookies?

• Sallyreplied on February 12th, 2015 at 9:39 am

Hi Bitty. I’d begin with half whole wheat and half all-purpose. To be honest, all whole wheat would make the cookies way too dense and heavy.

Cherryposted February 16, 2015 at 9:39 am

Hi Sally! I love this recipe, and I love sharing these with my friends! I am 13 years old with a passion for baking, which people would say that is weird. I love your blog, and all your recipes inspire me to continue baking! 😀

Kymelleposted February 18, 2015 at 12:08 am

Hello from Australia. These biscuits are amazing! I used spelt flour as my son can’t eat wheat and they turned out beautifully! Also I didn’t have quite enough butter so used a bit of coconut oil which gave the biscuits a lovely flavour. Thanks for a great recipe !

Dr. Sindhooraposted March 2, 2015 at 3:03 am

I love your blog, all the photos makes me drool…Yummy

Austinposted March 31, 2015 at 5:11 am

Hi. I have a question. What about when I’m in a rush and have no time to actually chill it, can I use cold butter?

Melanieposted April 27, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Do I NEED to use parchment or mats?? Won’t lightly greasing the sheets be fine

Bethanyposted April 30, 2015 at 1:41 am

Mine were really flat and took longer to bake, but they tasted great! I read through the comments and saw the recommendation given to others with flat cookies to add more flower, so I’ll do that next time. And there *will* be a next time because the whole fam and the friends we shared them with thought they were delicious.

Robinposted May 4, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Can I sub coconut oil for the butter? If so should I reduce the amount at all?

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2015 at 1:35 pm

It’s worth a try! Use the same amount.

Nicoleposted May 15, 2015 at 1:13 am

Hi Sally. I’m a long time drooler, first time baker : ) Last weekend I baked your ginger molasses cookies and they were so amazing (and also all GONE) that I thought I would try the brown sugar cookies today. They are currently chilling in the fridge. If the raw taste is anything to go by (I mean, who can resist “quality testing”, right?) they will be equally as delicious. I really just wanted to say thank you for your wonderful website and all of these amazing recipes. Honestly, they are such well laid out, easy to follow recipes with proper home cook type handy hints. Makes baking an absolute pleasure. So I just wanted to say thank you!

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Thank YOU Nicole! I really appreciate it! You’re so sweet.

ms sexyposted May 18, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Just made these cookies they are great I would be making them again as I tend to like a sofft and chewy cookie freshly baked and not always stores bought yours are great I’ve tried so many others but for some reason they just don’t come out like they say the should once again thanks  these have made my evening  with a smile

Jenposted May 18, 2015 at 7:59 pm

These were awesome. I omitted the cinnamon and added a little extra salt. Then topped them with a sea salt caramel buttercream frosting. They were perfection. Thanks for the recipe!

Levanaposted May 31, 2015 at 8:32 pm

This cookie is awesome Sally! thank you for the recipe!

Jennposted June 10, 2015 at 1:26 am

These are freaking delicious! I even used 1/2 whole wheat flour and they’re so good. Thanks for sharing!

Bryann H.posted June 17, 2015 at 2:59 pm

These cookies don’t turn out anything like the picture. I followed the recipe to the letter and all I got were flat, hard cookies. My kids wouldn’t even eat them. Very sad and disappointed. I won’t be making these again.

• Caroline Sreplied on August 14th, 2015 at 5:31 pm

If you under cook them, they will flatten out. Next time add a minute to each cooking step.

Robynposted June 26, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Nice chewy cookie.  They kind of remind me a little of a Snickerdoodle, and a little of an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie without the oatmeal or raisins.  Must be the cinnamon.  I think these could be really versatile & go well with different add-ins.  I will be making these again soon!

Megan Van Blitterswykposted July 12, 2015 at 9:30 pm

DO NOT make these!!! They are too delicious and you will not be able to stop eating them!!! I found this recipe as I wanted to bake and had no caster sugar but plenty of brown. I made them yesterday and there is only 3 left. Now I would like to blame the hubby and children but it’s not them. Every time I walk past the kitchen I remember they are there and have another one!! Lol!! So yummy!!

Ayannaposted July 14, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Would it be possible to see what the raw dough texture looks like?  Thanks! I can’t wait to make these!

Kimposted August 3, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Wow! These were one of the best cookies I’ve made. Simple and not over complicated. They were soft and chewy and stayed this way! Wonderful instructions, my family and I loved them! I had salted butter so I left out the salt later and turned or fine. Thank you:).

Caroline Sposted August 14, 2015 at 5:19 pm

These are the best cookies!  This is my go to recipe and everyone always requests that I make these :)

Rebeccaposted August 17, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Can these cookies be made ahead of time and frozen?  I am throwing a party in a couple of weeks and I want to get all of my baking done ahead of time.

• Michellereplied on September 27th, 2015 at 2:27 am

Probably a little late, but —  “Cookies stay soft and fresh for 7 whole days at room temperature. Cookies may be frozen up to 3 months. Rolled cookie dough may be frozen up to three months and baked in their frozen state for 13 minutes.”

It’s in her recipe directions.

Lyndiposted August 23, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I made a half-batch of these cookies and they turned out perfectly. A whole batch… not so much. Half-batch dough was smooth and soft, it almost looked like caramel. The whole batch I’ve just made is thick and crumbly, like right-out-of-the-fridge prepared dough, I could barely manipulate it. Does anyone have any idea why this might have happened?

Judyposted August 24, 2015 at 6:50 pm

I second Meagn’s comment!  These are the most delicious cookie Ive ever made. So easy and so ADDICTING.  Thank you Sally. I think.

Lizposted August 26, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Is it possible to substitute the butter for melted room temperature coconut oil, and use in the same manner as the butter? I’m wondering if you’ve tried that combination?

• Sallyreplied on August 27th, 2015 at 8:13 am

I haven’t, actually. But it’s worth a try! Let me know how they turn out. You will lose all that wonderful buttery flavor, though– one of the main flavors in the cookie.

Lorenposted September 12, 2015 at 8:20 pm

I just made these today. I didn’t have any cornstarch or white sugar (so I rolled the dough in the brown sugar).

They came out just fine… delicious in fact. Great recipe!

Heatherposted September 18, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I made these tonight and browned the butter first and added a pinch of maple flavor and they were just amazing. Thank you for a delicious recipe!

booposted October 6, 2015 at 2:43 pm

LOL — i just made these, but i forgot to put the cornstarch in. they still came out a-MA-zingly. thanks for a keeper.

Irisposted October 8, 2015 at 2:54 am

just made a variation of these – absolutely delicious and chewy! the recipe was exactly the same i added some powdered ginger to make them yummy and ginger-bread-y (i have an unconditional love for ginger) thanks!