Skinny Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars.

An easy recipe for 128 calorie lightened-up chocolate chip cheesecake bars, sacrificing none of the creamy texture and flavor!

Skinny Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars - you won't even know they're light! Only 128 calories each!

I’m currently suffering from a sugar hangover.

Alright, let me rewind. Last night we went out for a friend’s surprise birthday party. Seth, the lucky man marrying this beauty, is turning 30 and we celebrated by renting part of a bar in Baltimore.

(Rowhouse in Federal Hill – go there for Sunday morning Chicken ‘n Waffles & Spicy Bloody Marys if you’re ever in the area and want some brunch.)

Kristen brought a buttercream-frosted cake to surprise Seth and I brought a peanut-butter-packed cookbook recipe that knocked some socks off. I ate a salad for dinner so I could enjoy a lot of dessert. It’s all about balance, folks.

Love these 128 calorie Skinny Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars. They don't even taste light!

I also brought these skinny chocolate chip cheesecake bars to the party. They look pretty diet-busting, right!? They certainly taste that way too.

These bars defy all sorts of baking science rules. They’re so rich-tasting, yet made with lightened-up, protein-packed ingredients. The cheesecake layer is so thick and undeniably creamy. I don’t even how it’s possible. None of the party goers even knew they were lighter than regular cheesecake!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I am not one to sacrifice taste for lighter desserts, thus this creamy cheesecake bar was born. :)

So how can you make these ultra rad skinny cheesecake bars? (Yeah, rad.)

The recipe is quite similar to my Skinny Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars. You’ll need a few easy ingredients: light cream cheese, protein-packed Greek yogurt, egg whites, and a touch of flour. The flour is used for thickening the cheesecake mixture since you are not using full fat ingredients. You cannot leave out the flour; the cheesecake will not set up properly.

The protein-packed Greek yogurt makes these cheesecake bars unbelievably creamy. I used nonfat plain Chobani Greek yogurt, but you may use low fat and/or a flavored kind like vanilla or even raspberry, honey, strawberry, etc. Using 2% Greek yogurt will give you an even creamier bar.

Add some sweetness. 1/4 cup of sugar sweetens the bars. That’s only 1/4 cup of sugar sweetening 16 servings. Not too shabby right?  I tried my hand at using honey or maple syrup, but the bars did not set up properly. 1 teaspoon of added sugar per serving is heaven sent for cheesecake! (1 tsp does not include the sugar in the cream cheese, chocolate chips, yogurt or crust).

For the chocolate? I like to use mini chocolate chips because you get more chocolate in every bite. Always a good thing.

Mini Chocolate Chips

Skinny Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars

The crust is made from graham crackers and a touch of melted butter. I’ve tested the crust with melted coconut oil and it works wonderfully! So you have the option of either.

The bars only take 25 minutes in the oven. But then you have to wait for them to fully chill before digging in. Ugh, that’s probably the only thing I don’t like about cheesecake. It tests your patience! Especially when all you want is some dessert.

What to do while you’re waiting: make these adorable DIY sparkle/jewel hair pins.

Skinny Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars. You won't even realize they're lightened-up! Only 128 calories each.

So how do these cheesecake bars measure up? Only 128 calories each! Yep, that’s right:

• 5 sheets low fat Graham crackers = 350
  • 2 Tbsp butter = 200
  • 8 ounces light cream cheese = 560
  • 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt = 105
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar = 194
  • 2 Tbsp flour = 56
  • 2 egg whites = 34
  • lemon juice = 0
  • vanilla extract = o
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips = 560

Do yourself a favor and stop reading. Set out your cream cheese to soften right now. Because you have got to try these simple lightened-up cheesecake bars! It’s been exactly 20 hours since I had one and life just isn’t the same…

Skinny Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars

Yield: 16 bars

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours, including chilling

An easy and delicious recipe for 128 calorie lightened-up chocolate chip cheesecake bars, sacrificing none of the creamy texture and flavor!

• 5-6 full-sheet graham crackers (or 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs)
  • 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted or salted butter, melted (or even melted coconut oil)

• 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened (do not use fat free)
  • 3/4 cup (185g) Chobani Greek yogurt1
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons (16g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup (85g) mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a 8x8 baking pan with aluminum foil with enough overhang on the sides. Set aside.
  2. Make the crust: Using a food processor or blender, pulverize the graham crackers into a fine crumb. Pour into a medium bowl and mix with melted butter. Press into the lined pan. Bake for 8 minutes. Allow to cool as you prepare the filling.
  3. Make the filling: Beat the softened cream cheese for 1 minute using a hand or stand mixer. Beat in the yogurt, egg whites, sugar, and flour until mixture is smooth and creamy, about 3 full minutes. Add the lemon juice and vanilla, beat for 1 additional minute until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  4. Remove the crust from the oven and spread filling on top. Bake for 25 minutes, covering the cheesecake bars at the 20 minute mark with aluminum foil to prevent browning. Allow to cool for 20 minutes at room temperature, then chill completely in the refrigerator for at least three hours. Lift the foil out of the pan and cut into squares.
  5. Make ahead tip: Store bars in a covered container for up to 7 days in the refrigerator; bars may be frozen up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

Larger batch: Recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 9x13-inch pan, baking time will vary - about 45-55 minutes.

1. For the Greek yogurt: I used Chobani 0% fat, plain. You may use low fat Greek yogurt instead. You may also use regular yogurt, plain or flavored, low fat or fat free.

My Skinny Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars need to be next on your to-bake list! You have one of those, right?

Skinny Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars

Also, try my Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Bars!

Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Bars

See more cheesecake recipes.

207 Responses to “Skinny Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars.”

Hayleyposted December 23, 2014 at 8:37 pm

So last time I made these, they tasted great but cracked a little; however when I made your raspberry swirl cheesecake bars, they didn’t crack at all but the crust was crumbly :/ my question is: what can I do to keep both these things from happening? I know adding a little more butter will stop the crust from being crumbly, but what should I do to stop the cracks, besides not overbeating the batter?

Hayleyposted December 23, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I just read your post on tips to avoid cheesecake cracks. Do you think I could either:

A – Cover the bars with aluminium foil the whole time they’re in the oven or
    B – Not take the bars out to cover with aluminium foil at all & bake the full 25 minutes uncovered?

Shereenposted December 28, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I want to use the whole egg for these, would I need to use 2 whole eggs or just 1 whole egg? Would it still make a cheesecake?
    thanks :)

• Sallyreplied on December 28th, 2014 at 7:32 pm

1 whole egg is just fine.

Janetposted January 23, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Can u use light sour cream for the yogurt? Love your site,

• Sallyreplied on January 24th, 2015 at 1:16 pm

nurfatma perveenposted January 24, 2015 at 2:06 am

Hi Sally!

Was just wondering if I could use full fat cream cheese for these? Would it work as fine? Also, could I substitute the Graham crackers for digestive ones instead?

Thanks a ton!

• Sallyreplied on January 24th, 2015 at 1:14 pm

yes, full fat works just fine

JCposted January 26, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I used the new Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese in this recipe!

Sarahposted January 31, 2015 at 10:58 am

A friend and I made this today!! YUMM! Thank you so much for the recipe. We had to use a substitute for the graham crackers (they don’t exist over here in Europe, sad), but it was still delicious! :)

Sydneyposted February 23, 2015 at 8:08 pm

I tried this recipe a few days ago for a get together. But they turned out horrible! Crumpled up with an odd texture. I am definitely NOT saying your recipe was the problem, but I think I did something wrong. When I made this I didn’t have graham crackers so I just didn’t make the crust at all. Maybe that was the problem? Also I did not use a stand mixer and instead mixed it myself. If you could please suggest what I may of done wrong, that would be wonderfull. It looks like such an amazing recipe I wouldn’t want to not make it just because I failed the first time!

• Sallyreplied on February 24th, 2015 at 1:36 pm

You really need a mixer to get that creamy consistency. I definitely suggest a crust. I feel the bars would just taste odd and much too wet without a crust to help seep up some moisture.

Mariaposted March 8, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Dear Sally, Im making these right now so I dont know the end product yet but my batter was very liquidy! now sure what i did wrong.

Mindyposted March 10, 2015 at 7:35 am

Do you think I can use full fat cream cheese and get the same result? i know it won’t be skinny but will it still have the same taste??

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2015 at 10:49 am

Full fat cream cheese would be just fine. enjoy!

Aislinposted March 29, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Sally, this is a wonderful recipe! My whole family loved it and my son even requested it as a future treat instead of ice cream. You hit it out of the park on this on one! Many thanks.

Laurenposted May 1, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Hi Sally-

I just made these and they are cooling in the fridge. I did not read correctly about using aluminum foil as the way to get them out bc i was using aluminum foil tins to bake in…any advice on how i should get them out? Do you think they will come out? i dont want to ruin them and hoping the crust hardens while backing..and advice on what i should do would be helpful Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on May 2nd, 2015 at 7:17 am

They will still come out, though they will be a little harder to cut and the crust might stick a little to the pan.

Debbieposted May 11, 2015 at 7:33 am

hiya Sally I love the look of this cheesecake recipe, but iam from the UK and we don’t have low fat Graham’s crackers so what could I use in its place please for the base?

• Sallyreplied on May 11th, 2015 at 7:58 am

I hear digestive biscuits are similar and work wonderfully as a replacement.

Jenniferposted May 27, 2015 at 8:19 pm

OMG!! So good and easy I will be making these again

Natalieposted May 31, 2015 at 9:13 am

why does my cheesecake have tiny cracks all over? :(

Amberposted May 31, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Made these today, they are so good! Thanks for the recipe, would you mind if I shared on my blog?
    Thank you!

Sallyposted July 7, 2015 at 10:14 am

Hi. Is the lemon juice absolutely necessary? I don’t have fresh nor concentrate, I do have lemon zest though – will that work or can I leave it out and have the same taste? Also, can I replace the butter in the crust with vegetable oil? These look great, thanks!

• Sallyreplied on July 7th, 2015 at 3:50 pm

You can leave it out, but the tangy cheesecake flavor won’t be there. If anything, you can use lemon zest. Do not use oil in the crust.

Meaghanposted July 10, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Hey Sally, was wondering if these are baked in a spring pan?

grammalynposted July 30, 2015 at 10:32 am

These look delicious but how do you get 16 bars out of a 8×8 pan? The pictures look normal size but that size pan would only give me 9 bars…?

Heidiposted August 8, 2015 at 6:45 am

Can i make it in a 9×13 pan and just use normal greek yogurt not chobani

Kacey W.posted August 30, 2015 at 11:52 am

Made these last night to rave reviews.  I did leave out the lemon juice, but did everything else as directed.  I think if/when I make these again I’ll 1.5 or 2x the crust – I like crust :-)  Thanks for the recipe!

Cassie - Crumb Kitchenposted September 8, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Sally, you’ve outdone yourself. I never thought a cheesecake could taste good without all the cream cheese (especially full-fat cream cheese) but you’ve proven me wrong! These bars were phenomenal and tasted exactly like a ‘normal’ cheesecake!

If you’re interested in seeing my take on it (with blueberry topping and omitting the chocolate chips), here’s the link:

• Sallyreplied on September 9th, 2015 at 7:22 am

So glad you loved them Cassie– thanks for reporting back and sharing them!

Anamarijaposted September 16, 2015 at 6:13 am

Hey, Sally!  I was just wondering if I could use cottage cheese instead of cream cheese?

• Sallyreplied on September 16th, 2015 at 9:30 am

Not here- cream cheese is a must.

Alyssaposted October 6, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Hi Sally! I just put my cheesecake in the oven and I realized that I forgot to line my pan with foil. Will I be able to get the slices out? Thanks:D

• Sallyreplied on October 7th, 2015 at 8:34 am

Yes, you can still get out the squares with a spatula, fork, etc. No problem. Just easier with foil.