110 Calorie Chocolate Cherry Muffins.

Moist, fudgy 110 calorie chocolate muffins filled with juicy cherries. You won’t miss all the calories and fat, trust me!

Moist, fudgy 110 calorie chocolate muffins filled with juicy cherries. You won't miss all the calories and fat, trust me! @sallybakeblog

Fact: I accidentally typed “Skinny Chocolate Cheery Muffins” as the title of this post. I think I’ve had… no, wait… I’ve definitely had too much chocolate recently.

You’re looking at batch #2 of chocolate cherry muffins here. Batch #1 was baked early in the morning the day this happened. I’m sure you can imagine the results. Tasty.

The flood was actually a blessing in disguise. Though dealing with the renter’s insurance company has been a huge pain, the flood gave me a chance to clean some things out, decorate a new apartment, and bake an even better batch of these muffins.

You’re absolutely going to love them.

• They don’t taste lightened-up.
  • They are full of chocolate.
  • Seriously, they don’t taste lightened-up.
  • They are only 110 calories.
  • They are only 110 calories.

So um, did you get that? 110 calories. That is not a typo. How can it be? Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming.

You’ll be very impressed that a low calorie muffin can taste this good.

Today’s recipe is actually based off of my popular Skinny Double Chocolate Muffins. Those were voted in the top three favorite muffins of 2013. They’re moist, flavorful, fudgy, and surprisingly skinny. You love them and today’s muffins are no different.

So how can they be so low in calories, yet so rich in flavor? Easy. You’re going to need a few all-star, magical ingredients. First, applesauce. Unsweetened applesauce takes the place of any oil or butter in this muffin recipe. It keeps the muffins moist for very little calories. You’ll also need Greek yogurt. Or what I like to call “the powerhouse ingredient.” For little calories, a ton of protein, and lots of moisture – Greek yogurt is a miraculous ingredient to use in lightened-up recipes.

All of their chocolate flavor? That comes from cocoa powder. Just enough to give the muffins a strong chocolate taste, but not too much to dry them out. There’s also whole wheat flour in the muffin recipe too. Yup, this recipe is a major WIN all around. Sweetening the muffins is some sugar and honey. I tried to reduce the refined sugar to the minimum amount possible, while still producing a muffin that actually tastes good. And does not taste like cardboard or mulch. I reduced the sugar from 1/2 cup in the first batch to 1/3 cup in the second batch. Still perfectly sweet.

The juicy cherries also do a fine job sweetening each bite. I used fresh dark sweet cherries, though frozen would be just fine instead. Whatever’s easiest for you.

Here’s the calorie breakdown if you’re curious:

• applesauce: 75
  • sugar: 249
  • honey: 252
  • egg whites: 34
  • Greek yogurt: 100
  • flour (combined all-purpose and WW): 438
  • cocoa powder: 97
  • cherries: 92

All of that divided by 12 = 110.

The tops of the muffins are sprinkled with a couple chocolate chips each. Those are completely optional, but let’s face it, a little extra chocolate chip never hurt anyone… right? I ate 4 of these muffins over the course of the day yesterday.  In my defense, running and chocolate (and umm…baking and gossip magazines) are my stress relievers OK? Usually the chocolate comes in large quantities after the run. Life’s all about balance.

I froze a couple of these muffins for breakfast in the coming weeks and I have a feeling a fresh batch will be in high demand often because Kevin loved them too.

110 Calorie Chocolate Cherry Muffins

Yield: 12 muffins

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Moist, fudgy 110 calorie chocolate muffins stuffed with juicy cherries. You won't miss all the calories and fat, trust me!

• 3/4 cup (133g) unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (85g) honey
  • 2 large egg whites (or 1 large egg)
  • 3/4 cup (183g) plain Greek yogurt (or regular yogurt, plain or vanilla)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup (62g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 cup (64g) whole wheat flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 cup (64g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup chopped dark sweet cherries (fresh or frozen)
  • chocolate chips for sprinkling on top, optional

1. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray. Do not use liners.
  2. In a large bowl, combine applesauce, sugar, honey, egg whites, greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Whisk them all together until smooth, with no yogurt lumps remaining.
  3. Sift1 the flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder together. Slowly stir in the wet ingredients, being careful not to overmix. Get any dry pockets of flour out. Fold in the cherries. The batter will be a little chunky. This is ok.
  4. Divide the batter evenly between each muffin cup - fill them all the way to the top if you can. Bake for 5 minutes 425°F (218°C)2 then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce heat to 350°F (177°C) and continue baking for another 15 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of one muffin. If it comes out clean, they are done. If not, bake for 2 more minutes.
  5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 12 muffins. Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
  6. Make ahead tip: For longer storage, freeze muffins for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up in the microwave if desired.

1. If your cocoa powder has lumps, I urge you to sift it with the dry ingredients to avoid any dry cocoa powder lumps in the muffins.
  2. Why the initial high temperature? See my sky-high muffin dome tricks for more detail.

I won’t blame you if you eat the whole batch!

Try my Skinny Raspberry Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins next!

Skinny Raspberry Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

See many more healthy muffin recipes.

Grab the easy recipe for this 110 calorie chocolate muffins on sallysbakingaddiction.com

123 Responses to “110 Calorie Chocolate Cherry Muffins.”

Claire Abposted February 4, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Absolutely Amazing! And only 110 calories? I made these quick and easy on a SCHOOL NIGHT. Wow, so quick, easy, yummy, and healthy! LOVE!

• Sallyreplied on February 5th, 2014 at 7:22 am

Feliciaposted February 7, 2014 at 3:45 am

Hi Sally! These muffins look amazing and I’d love to try them, but I don’t have any whole wheat flour. Are there any substitutes I could use? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on February 7th, 2014 at 9:20 am

Just use all-purpose instead of the WW. Enjoy!

Saraposted February 13, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Oh my goodness, these were ridiculously good! My 3 kids ( 3 year old and twin 18 mo olds) love muffins and I’ve been trying to make them relatively healthy. They LOVED these — perfect for a snow day treat! They remind me of the Black Forest cake my grandmother made when I was little.

This was my first time on your site and I think I’ve now pinned most of your recipes :) thanks!

• Sallyreplied on February 13th, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Thanks so much for reporting back, Sara! Let me know what you try next.

Kellyposted February 18, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I made these for Valentine’s Day. My dad loves chocolate and cherries together. So I gave him some and my husbands office the rest. Made 2 batches. They were a BIG hit. I knew they would be. I love your skinny chocolate muffins…so I knew these had to be great as well!

Jenniferposted February 18, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Would I be able to use dried cherries by any chance..or would that just defeat the purpose of this recipe lol

• Sallyreplied on February 18th, 2014 at 5:51 pm

That would be just fine!

Laura Kposted March 1, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Omg these are SO good! I was debating between baking these or the sky-high apple pie muffins (both of which I’ve been wanting to try since you posted them) and decided on these and they taste amazing! So soft and chocolate-y and the bursts of cherry are wonderful (I used frozen)- it’s also my first time using the sky-high muffin technique and it works so well! The muffins came out big and puffy and delicious! Thanks for such an incredible “skinny” recipe! I ate two within 15 minutes of taking them out of the oven :)

• Sallyreplied on March 1st, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I’m so glad you love them Laura! I find it hard to only eat one as well…

Shannonposted March 20, 2014 at 11:32 am

I just made these and they are so super good. I love this blog! I just found it, unbelievably. I try to stick to healthier baking but really just love it all. With swim suit season coming up, I’ll be TRYING to stick to some healthier treats. I just have to have them!

The muffins are really moist and yummy. I placed some Trader Joe’s chocolate chunks on top to make them extra special.

• Sallyreplied on March 20th, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for reporting back, Shannon – happy you enjoyed these muffins!

cayceeposted May 13, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Can I substitute the yogurt for anything? I have none on hand and just went to the store for the week. Thanks!

Aurelposted June 21, 2014 at 7:05 am

Do you use hersheys special dark for this sally? Or dutch processed cocoa powder?

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2014 at 8:22 am

Neither – I used Hershey’s unsweetened (not the special dark).

Lauraposted June 29, 2014 at 4:24 pm

great muffins. I changed it up a bit and still good and not sweet. I switched the sweetener to only coconut sugar and used half all purpose flour and half coconut flour. I also had no apple sauce so used a bit more cherries and yogurt. I think it would have be good to have blended some of the cherries up before adding them and then chopping them a bit smaller. I think the calories were pretty much similar. Very tasty! thanks

Laurenposted July 30, 2014 at 9:16 am

Hi Sally! I’m currently in the midst of a multi-day baking marathon – I’m headed to band camp next week and I’ll be in desperate need of homemade food. I made these yesterday and am planning to freeze them today so they stay fresh until I leave. How would you recommend packaging them? I’m not sure if I should wrap them individually in saran wrap, throw them all in a gallop ziploc bag, or do something entirely different. I want them to taste as chocolatey and delicious as they did fresh out of the oven yesterday! Thanks again for another awesome recipe, and please let me know if you get the chance! :)

• Sallyreplied on July 30th, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Hey Lauren. I would wrap them individually in saran wrap then put them all into a ziplock bag, yes. Hope you enjoy!

• Laurenreplied on July 31st, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Awesome, thank you! Oh, by the way – if you’re ever looking for a fun place related to food and drink in Philadelphia, Reading Terminal Market is fantastic!!

Ahlamposted July 31, 2014 at 6:37 pm

How long would these bake if cooked in a cupcake tin?

Emmaposted August 30, 2014 at 11:40 am

I made these the other day with fresh raspberries (because I couldn’t face the faff of stoning fresh cherries) and they were delicious! I shared them with my boyfriend and family and they were so shocked that they were ‘healthy’.

Emma x

Katrina tetzposted September 30, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Could you use dried cherries?

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 10:01 am

I apologize for the delay; I was on vacation. Dried cherries would be fine.

Tammyposted October 21, 2014 at 10:34 am

Sorry, I sent it too soon. Do these work with muffin liners? Also, could I do mini-muffins? If so, how would you bake those?

• Sallyreplied on October 21st, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Yep, cherry flavor is OK to use. I find these stick to liners, but you can use liners if you spray them with nonstick spray. Mini muffins – yes. Bake time is 8-10 minutes at 375 the whole time.

Natposted January 26, 2015 at 3:38 pm

I would like to make these for my bf who is on a diet. What can I add instead of applesauce? I don’t think we have it here in the Netherlands…

• Sallyreplied on January 26th, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Mashed banana should be OK.

Katieposted January 29, 2015 at 10:40 am

I’m a little late to the party but I saw these on Pinterest and just had to make them. I replaced the white sugar with Splenda’s granulated baking substitute (I had some I wanted to use up) and it turned out great!

Lauraposted March 13, 2015 at 5:04 pm

So if I wanted to make these with say cherries and almonds, but no chocolate (because I don’t like chocolate – I know I know!), would I need to up the dry ingredients to take place of the 1/2 cup cocoa powder?

Bakerinaposted May 19, 2015 at 5:58 am

I always like it when I can look at a recipe and see comments from other people who have tried the recipe so I thought I’d leave my own comment-
    I made some adjustments to this recipe, I was out of applesauce so I subbed it for extra yogurt, I omitted the caster sugar since I was planning to add about 50g of chocolate bits in the muffins and I figured the cherries would give it enough sweetness.
    The texture is great and the muffin tops were huge, but deflated after they had cooled down. These make a really delicious snack. So pleased with how they turned out!

Tennille Mykulaposted June 18, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Hi!  I was just wondering if you’ve ever tried making the skinny choc muffins with pureed rhubarb instead of apple sauce.  I have it growing like crazy in my backyard and I’m trying to think of new ways to use it.  Also, have you thought of adding grated or pureed zucchini to this recipe to bump up the nutritional content?  Just a thought.  Please let me know if you experiment with it.  As will I!  Have the pumpkin choc chip bread in the oven as I type.  Can’t wait to try it.

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2015 at 10:32 am

I haven’t tried either actually, but it’s worth testing out. This muffin recipe is very forgiving. Let me know what you try!

Abbieposted July 7, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Can i sub in vanilla greek yogurt? And also does fat content of greek yogurt matter? Thanks!!

Cristina @ Nature's Driveposted August 4, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Thank you for this delicious recipe! I didn’t have applesauce so I subbed with coconut oil. Still turned out perfectly :)

Angelaposted November 11, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Just made these today with blueberries and they turned out awesome! Nice and high too! Thanks for the recipe!